PDA

View Full Version : JO/Bosh blurb from Det.News

RWB
02-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Interesting blurb from Detroit News and Ben Maller rumor site.

www.benmaller.com
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060221/SPORTS0102/602210358/1127

One intriguing deal shot down -- Indiana offered Jermaine O'Neal to Toronto for Chris Bosh. Toronto wisely said, no.

naptownmenace
02-21-2006, 03:00 PM
Interesting blurb from Detroit News and Ben Maller rumor site.

www.benmaller.com
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060221/SPORTS0102/602210358/1127

One intriguing deal shot down -- Indiana offered Jermaine O'Neal to Toronto for Chris Bosh. Toronto wisely said, no.

The deal was shot down by who? It doesn't even hint at who offered up this rumor.

Not a very likely story that Indy would try to trade an injured JO to anyone because they wouldn't get near equal value. I wouldn't trade Bosh for JO either if I was a GM not without knowing when he will be 100%. If both were healthy? I'd rather have JO if I was a GM.

Kstat
02-21-2006, 03:01 PM
It was only a matter of time before the denials starterd rolling in..... :lurk:

sweabs
02-21-2006, 03:05 PM
So maybe Larry & Donnie were reading some of my stuff this past summer...

:devil:

Mushmouth
02-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Aren't we talking about a 9 million dollar salary difference here?

Not sure what wildcards were involved if there really was an offer, but it clearly was not JO for Bosh straight up (if it happened at all).

RWB
02-21-2006, 03:50 PM
At first I figured this was all BS, but Bosh and Tony Davis' pay together was definitely in the ball park.

Pacersfan46
02-21-2006, 03:50 PM
Throw in AD, and we throw in a 1st round pick. ;)

SwissExpress
02-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Toronto would give a young improving and already dominating All Star PF and a huge expiring salary for a bit better yet much older and very expensive PF and a late first round pick?

Rob Babcock is gone, unfortunately..

Pacersfan46
02-21-2006, 04:06 PM
I was kidding, hence the wink.

However, if they're sold that no free agents will come there, and Bosh won't resign ... they have nothing to lose. The cap space lost would be space they can't use to attract a player of JO's talent, and they could possibly lose Bosh for nothing.

Without that line of thinking however, it won't happen.

Roy Munson
02-21-2006, 04:15 PM
This is too easy. I can't resist....

If both were healthy? I'd rather have JO if I was a GM.

That's why you're not a GM.

Pig Nash
02-21-2006, 04:19 PM
it's not like Bosh is gonna stay up there or they can get any FAs to go to Canada. JO is locked up long term and maybe they can make a short run at making the playoffs.

SwissExpress
02-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Most of their best players should considerably develope in the two upcoming years. That's exactly how long Raptors may retain Bosh even if he wants to leave (contract year for 2006/07 and possibility of qualifying offer for 07/08).

For some reason I believe they will be able to make that run in these two years. They are already winning 40-50 percent for the most part of this season (that is, after they started the season with 14 or so losses almost in a row). In that case retaining Bosh would be rather believable.

In any case, there's no sense in switching Bosh with O'Neal during the next two seasons, while most of their other good players are rather underdeveloped. It wouldn't be a huge upgrade that alone could put a below-average team into play-offs. And during the second of those seasons (07/08), if they found out Bosh wouldn't want to resign, O'Neal would be even older.

Thus I just don't see that happening, unless Indiana includes some of it's young players (that is, Granger). Or includes a draft pick and promises to lose all the remaining games of the season so that the pick would fall into high lottery:)

Besides, Bosh's appearance fits Raptors logo so much that I just can't imagine him anywhere else:)

EDIT: It just came to my mind: are their any restrictions to trade a player who has signed a 1-year contract with his team in order to escape qualifying offer-related problems? In that case Raptors wouldn't be able to wait till 07/08 to trade him, unless in a sign-and-trade.

Unclebuck
02-21-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm getting a little sick and tired of this assumption that Bosh is so much better than J.O or better than J.O at all.

I just don't see it.

Slick Pinkham
02-21-2006, 05:03 PM
Jermaine isn't exactly old, guys.

I'm with UncleBuck.

I'll take the more proven commodity. Now lets do all we can to keep him healthy, i.e. develop Harrison so he plays less C and can drop a few pounds.

SoupIsGood
02-21-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm getting a little sick and tired of this assumption that Bosh is so much better than J.O or better than J.O at all.

I just don't see it.

Yes!!

SwissExpress
02-21-2006, 05:08 PM
As you make an assumption.....

I have not seen one person state that Bosh was better, only that Bosh is a current superstar in the making, and the JO isnt getting any younger....

Exactly.

Also, it's also about the particular situation with Raptors, not just about Bosh's and Jermaine's age and salary. The team in general is just too young to have much use of Jermaine right now. Personally, if I were Raptors' GM, I would hardly even agree to take JO for Villaneuva and AD. The only reason to do that would be to make Bosh happier and get more attention from local community. JO and Bosh would probably still need other players like Graham, Calderon, etc to develope significantly in order for Raptors to be a sure-fire play-off team (even more so as neither JO nor Bosh likes playing C spot and both are PFs).

SwissExpress
02-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Jermaine isn't exactly old, guys.

I'm with UncleBuck.

I'll take the more proven commodity. Now lets do all we can to keep him healthy, i.e. develop Harrison so he plays less C and can drop a few pounds.

It's not about whether JO is old or not, it's about whether he is too old for the Raptors.

On the other hand, I agree that Bosh might be too young and too unproven for the Pacers, who are supposed to win now/soon, especially with Peja in the team.

In summary, the deal would be terrible for the Raptors, and possibly wouldn't be that good for the Pacers either. As Saras' and Peja's fan, I would hate to see them both grow old developing Bosh.

SjA3837
02-21-2006, 05:18 PM
At first I figured this was all BS, but Bosh and Tony Davis' pay together was definitely in the ball park.
Over the summer, it was JO for Bosh and Rose.

SwissExpress
02-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Over the summer, it was JO for Bosh and Rose.

That deal would have sounded more realistic, taking into account that Bosh wasn't an All-Star back then and Rose's bad contract.

SwissExpress
02-21-2006, 05:24 PM
:puke:

I dont want anything to do with Rose, or his nasty contract

Rose is in New York now. I think JO for Bosh and Rose would have been a fair price, though possibly not for the current Pacers.

Jermaniac
02-21-2006, 05:31 PM
The only thing Bosh has on JO is age, nothing else. JO is better at everything.

SwissExpress
02-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Im not so sure this team is in the "win now" mode.

We still seem to be one or two players away from being Title contenders again.

I have to admit I'm very optimistic:) I agree that Pacers aren't perfect and won't be perfectly ready for the play-offs with all the injured players, but they shouldn't be much more imperfect than other main title contenders. Trading for Bosh would mean a plan to build a contender fro the 07/08 or later seasons, and I don't think it's necessary to wait so much.

Slick Pinkham
02-21-2006, 05:40 PM
I think that Jermaine will be in his prime for the duration of his current contract and that Bosh will be in his prime for the duration of his next contact.

It shouldn't matter that 10 years from now Jermaine will be too old. Nobody has a 10 year plan.

Nobody should build their team on assuming that they will have a player for 15+ years. That just doesn't happen anymore.

Bosh will be a max player with his next contract, so salary concerns are not that much of a difference in any sense when you think about building a team to compete over the next 5 years, whether you are rebuilding (Toronto) or tweaking (Indiana).

Get JO healthy and happy and hopefully people stop making up rumors. He won't be traded unless he demands it or unless a top 5 talent like KG is offered for him.

Since86
02-21-2006, 05:51 PM
The only thing Bosh has on JO is age, nothing else. JO is better at everything.

Bosh has better FT% and FG%. Bosh posts better steals and points, and less TOs and fouls.

JO has better rebounding numbers, beating Chris by .6. JO also gets 1.8 more blocks a game more.

I threw out 3pt shooting seeing how JO has only shot 9 and Bosh hasn't shot any.

Just so we don't get into the "Bosh may put up better numbers because he's on a worse team" argument, I'll throw out that JO puts up more shot attempts per game, in less minutes.

SwissExpress
02-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Bosh will be a max player with his next contract, so salary concerns are not that much of a difference in any sense when you think about building a team to compete over the next 5 years, whether you are rebuilding (Toronto) or tweaking (Indiana).

Jermaine is much more than an ordinary max player, and Bosh's 'delayed maxing out' would give some time to sign good free agents, if a team would be willing to go over salary cap. That's a big difference for a team that is still in a building stage, i.e. willing to add some key players.

That said, I don't think Pacers need any big additions to compete, thus I agree that their salary difference wouldn't mean that much for the Pacers.

Pacesetter
02-21-2006, 06:21 PM
:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Pacerized
02-21-2006, 10:55 PM
The only way I would believe this trade was offered, would be if DW, or LB confirmed it. J.O. is a better overall player who's already an all star. Bosh is putting up good numbers on a bad team, and has the likely potential to become the player J.O. is. You save money on Bosh for 1 year, and then may lose him, or at the very least end up paying him more then J.O.
No thanks:

Anthem
02-21-2006, 11:01 PM
There's one thing this implies, and I'm shocked that Bball hasn't picked up on it.

Maybe the Pacers tried to trade JO instead of Ron.

Or is the timing off?

Frank Slade
02-21-2006, 11:03 PM
:laugh::laugh:

It gets reported by numerous sources that this trade was offered, and ever since this summer JO hasnt taken nicely to questions about being traded, yet people still choose to label them as "rumors"

I know this is old news, I had been reading since this summer the report regarding Bosh for JO.... I just thought this was arleady a known...

Pacesetter
02-21-2006, 11:20 PM
A bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

BoomBaby31
02-21-2006, 11:48 PM
Bosh would fit in well with our team, the Raptors should have traded Bosh for O'neal and kept Rose then their team would have been nice. Rose would have been comfortable with O'neal more then he was with Bosh. Bosh would work for our team, and O'neal would work for theirs. I think it was a good deal, also I doubt it was a rumor to many sources have gotten hold of the story. Cnn-SI said the same thing.

Bball
02-22-2006, 03:04 PM
There's one thing this implies, and I'm shocked that Bball hasn't picked up on it.

Maybe the Pacers tried to trade JO instead of Ron.

Or is the timing off?

Maybe they tried to trade both and/or whichever got a bite first?

-Bball