PDA

View Full Version : O'Neal wont demand ball when he returns

Moses
02-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Houston --

Injured All-Star Jermaine O'Neal plans on being back for Indiana's postseason run should the Pacers, currently seeded fifth in the Eastern Conference, make the playoffs.

"But I have the opportunity to be back in a few weeks," he said Sunday.

O'Neal hasn't played since Jan. 24 because of a groin injury. He wouldn't give an tighter estimate for his return, but says he is looking forward to finding his role in a Pacers offense that now includes sharpshooter Peja Stojakovic.

"We've been basically a half-court team and we're not a very good half-court team. We have up-tempo players," O'Neal said. "When I get back, I'm not going to demand 15, 20 shots a game. I'm going to get in exactly where I fit in."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/02/20/SPG9THBOPS1.DTL

Jumper
02-20-2006, 08:41 PM
I think I might have just soiled myself somewhat.

Moses
02-20-2006, 08:44 PM
It sounds as though we are actually going to finally run an up-tempo offense..If JO isn't demanding the ball in the low post in a half-court then what reason does Carlisle have to stay in the half-court sets unless we are up in the 4th quarter trying to slow the game down? None. I think we may finally stick with an up-tempo style of play. If management likes it and your star player wants to play within it, I don't think Carlisle's preferred style of offense will really matter anymore.

Pacersfan.
02-20-2006, 08:45 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19422 Post 12

Unclebuck
02-20-2006, 08:46 PM
One thing that is and was underestimated, Ron Artest was a halfcourt player, more so than any other player on the team. With Ron gone, replaced by Peja who has the ultimate green light, that alone will cause the Pacers to run more

BigDawg44
02-20-2006, 08:47 PM
isnt that what he said last year?

Will Galen
If he plays like Granger, i.e., rebounds, plays defence, and takes shots of opportunity I think the team could really take off! If he did that I still think he would get 18 points and 12 to 15 rebounds.

Moses
I figured this deserved it's own post simply because everyone is stuck on the idea that Jermaine wants to play half-court sets.

Edit: Doesn't matter though, mods can delete this one if they want.

Pacersfan46
02-20-2006, 08:53 PM
It's just too bad Jermaine doesn't control the offense, or call plays.

sweabs
02-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Doesn't matter if we're playing an up-tempo, or half court offense - you still have to box out and rebound the ball.

I have been so ecstatic the last couple of weeks for the simple fact that we are outrebounding teams. On top of that, we're fighting for offensive rebounds.

JO has to realize that what he sees on the court is not only sharing the ball, but guys working their tails off to rebound the ball and I hope he can do the same.....

Pacers#1Fan
02-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Finally, I don't have to worry about falling asleep during games any more!

pizza guy
02-20-2006, 09:06 PM
It really sounds like this new style is going to stick. TPTB, JO, and all of us are on the same page now. Either Carlisle jumps aboard, or he's getting canned. It's so incredibly obvious that this is the way our players like to play, and excel in playing. RC better have this in his head for good, or he'll be out the door.

Shade
02-20-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm starting to think JO reads this forum... :uhoh2:

jcouts
02-20-2006, 09:16 PM
I'm starting to think JO reads this forum... :uhoh2:

I'm starting to think the entire team reads this forum... or someone brings valid comments of this forum to the team.

Harmonica
02-20-2006, 09:56 PM
I hear JO has a hit out on Bball.

Lord Helmet
02-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Bball's a marked man. I heard, too.

Bball
02-20-2006, 11:19 PM

I have spies that tell me JO was taking my comments very seriously and taking them to heart... he had no intentions of putting out that hit on me...

...Then he talked to Bender.... :bond:

-Bball

MagicRat
02-21-2006, 01:02 AM
The elephant has left the living room and he's not happy.....
http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/joelephant.jpg

Suaveness
02-21-2006, 01:06 AM
Oh dear god.

owl
02-21-2006, 07:53 AM
Rebounding is the fuel that feeds the running fire. Blocked shots are the
gasoline.

JO can provide both if he puts his mind to blocking out and using his
natural physical abilities.

owl

McKeyFan
02-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Well, this is the most encouraging report I've heard in a while.

We are still left wondering if Carlisle has been the problem or if JO has had a sudden change of heart regarding offense.

Either way, I don't care. I agree with the others on here that Rick is pretty much had his hand forced, if he was the one slowing things down to an ineffective drip.

beast23
02-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Artset was the only overpowering post-up player that we've had for a number of years. It really didn't matter what SF was defending him, none is capable of handling him in the paint without help. He's simply too strong and has too many ways of drawing the foul or hitting his shot.

On the other hand, many teams could defend Jermaine one-on-one, and many of the other teams could cover him because Artest's defender was usually near the lane, or Foster's man could easily leave Jeff alone at 15 feet to help cover Jermaine.

I really anticipate Jermaine being a much better player in a running game, if he is able to make the transition.

Slick Pinkham
02-21-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm starting to think the entire team reads this forum... or someone brings valid comments of this forum to the team.

Dang it... found me out.

My real name is Eddie Gill.

Doug
02-21-2006, 12:08 PM
I really anticipate Jermaine being a much better player in a running game, if he is able to make the transition.

I think so, too. And with the more motion-oriented half-court sets, when he gets the ball in the post it should be in better position with less defensive attention. Easier shots. And less pounding to get them.

naptownmenace
02-23-2006, 12:33 PM
The elephant has left the living room and he's not happy.....
http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/joelephant.jpg

OMG! How did I miss that???

:laugh:

I'm officially voting MR for MVP!

larry
02-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Dang it... found me out.

My real name is Eddie Gill.
hahahaha

fwpacerfan
02-23-2006, 03:54 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. A leopard doesn't change his spots.

Tim
02-23-2006, 06:09 PM
I have spies that tell me JO was taking my comments very seriously and taking them to heart... he had no intentions of putting out that hit on me...

...Then he talked to Bender.... :bond:

-Bball

LOLOLOL!!!!!

ChicagoJ
02-23-2006, 06:37 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. A leopard doesn't change his spots.

I think you may be right. Rick's gonna tell the team to slow down and dump the ball into the post as soon as JO is healthy enough to allow Rick to stop the current style of play.

:banghead:

fwpacerfan
02-24-2006, 10:31 AM
I think you may be right. Rick's gonna tell the team to slow down and dump the ball into the post as soon as JO is healthy enough to allow Rick to stop the current style of play.

:banghead:

Two problems here. Rick likes that style of play and JO DEFINITELY likes that style of play. I would like to see us play somewhere in the middle like the 2000 finals team. That team was able to pick their spots to run but were very good in the half court sets as well.

diamonddave00
02-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Last night was a prime example of why Jermaine is needed on this team. When we play against the better physical teams , Pollard and Foster's rebounding is neutalized more and their lack of offense is totally exposed. As is their lack of shot blocking ability.

Even on a bad night Jermaine is a threat on offense and must be guarded at all times. He also adds the shot blocking threat.

The up and down game looks good when you are hitting and controlling the boards, but when that is neutalized , you must have a certain amount of half court offense.

I truly believe bringing JO back and playing uptempo will be successful but there will also be periods where the Pacers will have to play half court where JO is a threat.

Like Pollard and Foster as much as you want , but even their biggest fans must realize that in the half court game the Pacers are at best playing 3 on 5 with them both in the lineup.

Raskolnikov
02-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Thought I'd post this in the latest "what will happen when JO gets back?"-thread. That question must've been posed already some time ago and now he finally answers it. Conrad even mentions VA's former website! ;)

Will Team Change Style When J.O. Returns?

Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2006 <HR>
<TABLE borderColor=#003366 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=90 align=left bgColor=#ffcc00 border=2><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/conrad_brunner.jpg QUESTION
OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Q. My question concerns how the Pacers will play when Jermaine O'Neal returns to the lineup. Can he be utilized in a way similar to how Amare Stoudamire was used in Phoenix last year? Amare has a bevy of post moves and is effective in the post, just like J.O., but in Phoenix's up-tempo offense he scored a ton of points as the trailer on the fast break and by pushing the pace he was the recipient of easier shots. Can't the Pacers try to emulate that style? It might lessen some of the wear and tear on his body. I think that J.O. is built more for speed than pounding it out in the post. (From Micah in Cincinnati)
A. This is not only the question of the day, it just might be the question of the month. Or maybe even the year. It seems like everybody in Pacers Nation is worried that O'Neal's return will somehow undo all of the good that has been done in the weeks since Peja Stojakovic was acquired. O'Neal himself has said, repeatedly, that he'd rather play a more up-tempo style because of the attributes you mention. He runs exceptionally well, is quick on his feet and obviously can finish with either hand. A quicker pace, with more cutting and less standing, also tends to generate more easy baskets.

When O'Neal and Ron Artest were paired on the front line, it made sense to build the offense around the low post because both of the team's best offensive players had the ability to dominate on the block. With Stojakovic replacing Artest, the Pacers have a very different offensive makeup, and that isn't likely to change when O'Neal returns. Give Coach Rick Carlisle a little credit here. More than any coach in the NBA, possibly more than any in league history, he has demonstrated the ability to adapt a system to ever-changing personnel on the fly. As long as the Pacers continue to play well with the current approach, O'Neal's return wouldn't offer reason to reverse course, but rather to add another gear.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question.html

MagicRat
02-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Anthem makes an appearance on the QOD......:thumbsup:

ChicagoJ
03-02-2006, 08:45 PM
:woot2:

Miller4ever
03-02-2006, 09:01 PM
what i am wondering is, who will start? pollard or foster?

Anthem
03-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Anthem makes an appearance on the QOD......:thumbsup:
Man, I read that without even noticing the name on it. That's hilarious! He beefed up my question!

One thing about the digest; I can tell the regulars without seeing avatars or sigs. I can tell just based on posting style. Read the question and tell me you think I wrote it.