PDA

View Full Version : Sam Smith - Teams Waiting for KG (Including Indiana)

sweabs
02-20-2006, 09:50 AM
f

Skaut_Ech
02-20-2006, 10:17 AM
http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

"..The Pacers reportedly approached the Raptors about a deal to swap Bosh and All-Star forward Jermaine O'Neal, a deal the Raptors are believed to have turned down because they, too, are intrigued by Bosh's vast potential..."

Will Galen
02-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Boston, Seattle, Indiana, Golden State and the Bulls are some of the teams reportedly hanging back just in case Garnett ever came on the trade market.

Gee, what did I say just yesterday?

If Minny were going to trade Garnett they would open it up so the whole league would know he's available. Garnett will probably be available this Summer, (if at all) that's why, unless it's a no brainer, the Pacer's are going to wait until this summer to make any more trades. Not many teams could top a JO and Tinsley offer, plus we have other assets as well.

Sometimes I think columnists read PD and get ideas for columns. And sometimes I think they just plagiarize our statements. Of course it isn't like we don't do the same to them so it's fair.

Skaut_Ech
02-20-2006, 10:55 AM
To me, a trade with GS would make the most sense, fiscally and based upon what I've been reading about both teams. As a fan, I'd like to see it happen.

I think GS has enough depth to make a deal without gutting the team. Here's what I've read. Marco Jaric has been relegated to DNPs, while Marcus Banks is almost having the PG position gift wrapped for him to take. They've got something like 4 PGs on the roster. Jaric looks to be off man out.

I keep reading grumblings from fans, media and actual platers who are tired of Davis' free lancing on offense. I get the feeling that the organization is thinking they may have made a misstep, but don't want to publically say it cause then Davis value drops and it makes it harder to deal him. (See Ron.)

Now, this is strictly from what I've read from GS fans, but some of them wouldn't mind moving Murphy, since they have Taft and Diogu in the wings.

I would like to see Garnett out of that cesspool in Minn.

I wonder if we could see a big trade (Although after Mullin left that trading exemption money just disappear, I don't see him doing jack.) involving GS and Kevin. I'd like to see it.

FrenchConnection
02-20-2006, 11:16 AM
To me, a trade with GS would make the most sense, fiscally and based upon what I've been reading about both teams. As a fan, I'd like to see it happen.

I think GS has enough depth to make a deal without gutting the team. Here's what I've read. Marco Jaric has been relegated to DNPs, while Marcus Banks is almost having the PG position gift wrapped for him to take. They've got something like 4 PGs on the roster. Jaric looks to be off man out.

I keep reading grumblings from fans, media and actual platers who are tired of Davis' free lancing on offense. I get the feeling that the organization is thinking they may have made a misstep, but don't want to publically say it cause then Davis value drops and it makes it harder to deal him. (See Ron.)

Now, this is strictly from what I've read from GS fans, but some of them wouldn't mind moving Murphy, since they have Taft and Diogu in the wings.

I wonder if we could see a big trade (Although after Mullin left that trading exemption money just disappear, I don't see him doing jack.) involving GS and Kevin. I'd like to see it.

...and into that cesspool in Golden State?

Skaut_Ech
02-20-2006, 11:55 AM
...and into that cesspool in Golden State?

Minn has been horribly mismanaged for years. Look at their recent draft picks:

Blake Stepp
Ndudi Ebi
Rick Rickert
Marcus Taylor
Loren Woods

They have a real bad eye for talent. And their trade history. Phah!!

GS, on the other hand has drafted Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy, Jason Richardson, Jeff Foster :) Antwan Jamison (via Vince Carter trade)

They have an eye for talent, they just haven't quite put things together. :whoknows:

I woudn't call GS a cesspool, unless you're refering to Oakland, the city itself. I think GS is a good situation waiting to happen. They have a smart GM, and a very nice, talented roster I think you get a more focused coach in there and you have a strong team.

I can't even begin to say the same about Minnesota. Only franchise worse than Minn is Atlanta. Atlanta may be inept, but Minn is clueless. :duh:

So, no, I wouldn't even begin to refer to GS as a cesspool.

SjA3837
02-20-2006, 12:03 PM

"..The Pacers reportedly approached the Raptors about a deal to swap Bosh and All-Star forward Jermaine O'Neal, a deal the Raptors are believed to have turned down because they, too, are intrigued by Bosh's vast potential..."
Wasn't it me who said that there were talks between us and Raptors about JO and Bosh over the summer ? :-p

Harmonica
02-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Wasn't it me who said that there were talks between us and Raptors about JO and Bosh over the summer ? :-p

ru·mor

n. A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.

FrenchConnection
02-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Minn has been horribly mismanaged for years. Look at their recent draft picks:

Blake Stepp
Ndudi Ebi
Rick Rickert
Marcus Taylor
Loren Woods

They have a real bad eye for talent. And their trade history. Phah!!

GS, on the other hand has drafted Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy, Jason Richardson, Jeff Foster :) Antwan Jamison (via Vince Carter trade)

They have an eye for talent, they just haven't quite put things together. :whoknows:

I woudn't call GS a cesspool, unless you're refering to Oakland, the city itself. I think GS is a good situation waiting to happen. They have a smart GM, and a very nice, talented roster I think you get a more focused coach in there and you have a strong team.

I can't even begin to say the same about Minnesota. Only franchise worse than Minn is Atlanta. Atlanta may be inept, but Minn is clueless. :duh:

So, no, I wouldn't even begin to refer to GS as a cesspool.

Minnesota makes the playoffs in most years, a feat that GS has not achieved in over 10 years. Don't give me the argument about all the first round exits when comparing the Timberwolves to a team that has not even played in the post-season since 1993-1994. I agree with your argument that GS has more talent overall now than Minnesota, but to lump Minnesota in with Atlanta is simply incorrect. I would agree that the future looks brighter in GS than in Minnesota, but you could say the same about Atlanta. Lets see GS make the playoffs before we consider them head and shoulders above Minnesota as a franchise.

Skaut_Ech
02-20-2006, 01:11 PM
I didn't give you an arguement abut playoff exits, nor was I. To me, it just seems like Minn always does just enough to keep them barely in the mix, but they don't seem like they improve or have a real sense of direction. On the whole, their organization sems to kind of fumble along, bouyed on the shoulders of one of the top five players in the game. It amazes me how they get by on smoke and mirrors, essentially, laving KG to pick up the considerable slack. They just don't strike me as a very well run organzation.
They remind me of the sizers when Barkley was playing for them.

You're arguing against a stance I never took. I didn't mention playoffs, yet you present an arguement for me, then give a rebuttal.

With GS, I see a team that's ben slowly making strides with somewhat of a sens eof direction. I just haven't seen that with Minn.

Will Galen
02-20-2006, 02:09 PM

I don't understand this. Your talking about Golden State, but Banks and Jaric play for Minnesota.

Skaut_Ech
02-20-2006, 03:01 PM
I don't understand this. Your talking about Golden State, but Banks and Jaric play for Minnesota.

Because I'm a knucklehad and got pulled away in the middle of posting, starting thinking about another post when I sat back down and confused the two. :blush:

rexnom
02-20-2006, 03:30 PM
I've said this before and I stick by it: I would like to wait for summer to see what kind of shape this team is in. If JO really doesnt fit in then maybe we should explore a KG trade involving JO (if its available) but until then, why mess with it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You only make no-brainer moves when the team ain't broke. And only a straight up JO-KG swap would be no brainer and doubt Minny would offer that within the next week.

FrenchConnection
02-20-2006, 04:01 PM
I didn't give you an arguement abut playoff exits, nor was I. To me, it just seems like Minn always does just enough to keep them barely in the mix, but they don't seem like they improve or have a real sense of direction. On the whole, their organization sems to kind of fumble along, bouyed on the shoulders of one of the top five players in the game. It amazes me how they get by on smoke and mirrors, essentially, laving KG to pick up the considerable slack. They just don't strike me as a very well run organzation.
They remind me of the sizers when Barkley was playing for them.

You're arguing against a stance I never took. I didn't mention playoffs, yet you present an arguement for me, then give a rebuttal.

With GS, I see a team that's ben slowly making strides with somewhat of a sens eof direction. I just haven't seen that with Minn.

I was just trying, in the immortal words of Fred G. Sanford, to "nip it in the bud." I see your point, I just think that GS is not all that much better off than Minnesota. Its not that I think that Minnesota is doing a good job building a team around KG, I just think that GS is a poorly conceived team with little balance. I don't really want to argue with you since we actually agree on Minnesota needing to rebuild. After all, you are the one who used a strong work like Cesspool. I just thought that this is an overstatement for a franchise that makes the playoffs almost every year. I think that we all can agree that we hope that KG does not end up on the Lakers; the last thing we all need is another Lakers' dynasty!

Will Galen
02-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Because I'm a knucklehad and got pulled away in the middle of posting, starting thinking about another post when I sat back down and confused the two. :blush:

I really respect your opinion, so to tell you the truth you had me pretty confused too! I even wondered if GS, and Minn. had decided to undo last years trade. (grin) So I even checked the GS, and Minn. rosters.

What I think is funny now is you got all those replys.

CableKC
02-20-2006, 04:53 PM
To get back to the topic of the article about the possiblilty that KG could be put on the market.....we're talking about a major player being traded in the next 3 days. Walsh took 45+ days to trade Artest.....I would hope that McHale would take as long.

I think that with the way that things have been going with Minny and the likely value that he would have on the market....I would think that unless McHale gets some huge offer that he cannot refuse....then nothing will happen. For example ( not that I would do it...but I'm talking about this type of offer....basically one that McHale would be overwhelmed with )....we're talking about the top player ( if not the 2nd or 3rd ) on the team, draft picks and the top prospect on the opposing GMs team ( like JO+SJax+Granger+1st draft pick for 2006 )....then I don't see him trading him in the next 3 days. But since such a trade would likely cripple the prospects of a team in this years playoffs.....I don't see such a trade happening.

If the fervor over Artest being traded.....with so many teams being interested in a top 15 player......is any indication....McHale....if he was smart...would go through the same process for one of the top 3 players in the entire league.

Bball
02-20-2006, 05:52 PM
To get back to the topic of the article about the possiblilty that KG could be put on the market.....we're talking about a major player being traded in the next 3 days. Walsh took 45+ days to trade Artest.....I would hope that McHale would take as long.

If the fervor over Artest being traded.....with so many teams being interested in a top 15 player......is any indication....McHale....if he was smart...would go through the same process for one of the top 3 players in the entire league.

I would assume if KG was on the market it would be a case where he's been on the market a while now already. Not a last minute thing. I'd imagine any players in the game have had their name(s) and general offer(s) in the hat for a while now.

IF a trade did go down at the deadline I think it is very possible the talks went on longer than the Artest talks. ... It would simply be that there was no reason for them to be overly public.

-Bball

Moses
02-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Well, We would probably have the best offer for KG..But doesn't he have a monster 20m contract?

Pacersfan46
02-20-2006, 09:32 PM
He does, but we'd have to match it with equal salary in a trade anyway. Don't see where that would matter much.

CableKC
02-20-2006, 09:56 PM
IF a trade did go down at the deadline I think it is very possible the talks went on longer than the Artest talks. ... It would simply be that there was no reason for them to be overly public.
All speculation on my part here....but why would McHale want to keep any trade of KG "private"? Just like Walsh and the whole Artest ordeal.......KG is the type of player that can cause an immediate bidding frenzy among all the GMs. I think part of the reason why we were able to get a player at the level of Peja was Walsh's willingness to sit and wait for the bidding war to drive up Artest's value.

Although it is possible that McHale could do everything in private among certain teams and GMs....limiting the market to a player like KG is stupid. Its possible that this could happen...but stupid on his part if he decides to not open it up KG to the open market.

But if McHale did make KG available...I would think it would be better to do so during the offseason when GMs are more willing to part with players instead of now when it will likely affect any playoff run.

pizza guy
02-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Too bad Toronto realizes what they have in Bosh. I watched him in the All-Star game (I don't see him any other time than Pacers games), and I was really impressed. I knew he was good, but to watch him play is different than knowing he can play. He's so long, quick, athletic, and he's got a nice shot. If Toronto could be convinced that JO is an good trade, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

CableKC
02-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Bosh is a more athletic version of Brand except that he doesn't block as many shots. Either way.....Bosh is a very good player to build around. He's the franchise player for the Raptors....but doesn't quite strike me as an outspoken Franchise type player. He's more like Brand ( strong silent type ) then KG ( strong vocal type ) leader. But given that this is only his 3rd season.....he has time to develop into a stronger leader type.

BlueNGold
02-20-2006, 11:43 PM
I've said this before and I stick by it: I would like to wait for summer to see what kind of shape this team is in. If JO really doesnt fit in then maybe we should explore a KG trade involving JO (if its available) but until then, why mess with it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You only make no-brainer moves when the team ain't broke. And only a straight up JO-KG swap would be no brainer and doubt Minny would offer that within the next week.

A JO/Tins for KG swap is a no brainer for the Pacers. I doubt JO is enough to get KG. I hope JO+Tins is enough.

We get a durable all-star PF who has a leader mentality (not a forced one) who will fit well into the current lineup; we lose two injury prone players, improve chemistry and get rid of the PG controversy.

What's not to like?

bulldog
02-21-2006, 12:59 AM
A JO/Tins for KG swap is a no brainer for the Pacers. I doubt JO is enough to get KG. I hope JO+Tins is enough.

We get a durable all-star PF who has a leader mentality (not a forced one) who will fit well into the current lineup; we lose two injury prone players, improve chemistry and get rid of the PG controversy.

What's not to like?
And Minnesota would have 4 point gaurds (Tins, Banks, Hudson, Jaric). Doubt that would work.

What's more important, however, is that JO/Garnett doesn't make sense for them; they're stuck with the exact same problem they had. An unhappy, unsupported PF pouting in the lottery/low playoff seeds.

I tell you what they would take - JO packaged with Granger. Now they have a superstar with potential support.

I love Danger - he's gonna be a star in a few years. But you're not getting KG for cheap, and I think he makes us an instant contendor now. A rejuvenated KG, playing against the weaker PF's in the East, paired with what's he always been lacking: a pure scorer in Peja. In Sactown Peja showed that when he's a primary option and there isn't a ball-dominating PF in his way, he's a more effective scorer (and KG has always been unselfish on the offensive end). I think Peja/Garnett is a perfect combo, and worth giving up Danger for. What's more, now you can play Saras because when he gets beat off the dribble, KG is swatting that s*** into the stands.

To make the trade a bit more even, give us Eddie Griffin, who has fallen out of favor in Minnesota. KG/Griffin for JO/Danger works on ESPN's trade checker.

I know it would suck to give up Danger, but right now we're stuck in the middle - are we trying to win now (Jax, Peja, O'neal) or in three years (Danger, Harrison). If we can get KG, I say pull the trigger.

I think this is more likely to happen in the summer than at the trade deadline tho.

CableKC
02-21-2006, 01:17 AM
I would hate to do it...and I would be very reluctant to do it....but you are right on this.....Granger+JONeal would likely make McHale blink twice. I would only consider giving up Granger depending on what we get back alongside KG. But I would much rather give up a 1st round draft pick before giving up Granger.

BTW....any team getting KG though would have to have to a solid Big Man that can help with the rebounding.

Pacersfan46
02-21-2006, 01:27 AM
Granger being needed or not is completely dependant on what other teams are willing to give up.

If KG is traded, it's because they decided there is no way around it, and are at some point going to jump at the best deal available.

Pacerized
02-21-2006, 02:25 AM

I just couldn't see why the Pacers would do this. Bosh is not KG, his game isn't as developed as J.O.'s, and there's no guarantee it will be. He's young with potential, and is putting up good numbers on a very bad team. Granted the injuries this year have sucked with J.O., but he's better, and he's under contract. With Bosh you run the risk of losing him as a free agent. Sometimes I'm amazed how a player is worth less to some once he's developed his game, then some player player with potential. I don't think DW/LB think this way.

Diesel_81
02-21-2006, 02:37 AM
Sometimes I'm amazed how a player is worth less to some once he's developed his game, then some player player with potential. I don't think DW/LB think this way.

I agree with you on that. Bosh is a hell of a player but I don't think he's got the superstar potential(top 5 player people think he's going to be) If we do a move like this it won't make us any better in the short term and long term there is too many question marks. I have no problem trading Oneal but if we trade him I want somebody who I know is with out a doubt is a better player and makes us a better team.I just don't know if Bosh is that player.

Lithfan
02-21-2006, 04:57 AM
Gee, I would absolutely love to see Garnet in Indiana.
But Bosh?!? He is not better than JO.

Will Galen
02-21-2006, 08:35 AM
JO and Granger are too much to give up for any player in the NBA! As for Minnesota, I wouldn't trade both of them for any 5 Minnesota players. JO is a perennial all star and Granger is already very good and he's just a rookie. Given 30 minutes a game for the rest of the year and Granger could and would average a double, double.

As is, JO is more of a winner than KG. He's more clutch, and he doesn't beat up on his team mates. People want to trade JO because he's injury prone. However, answer this question. How injury prone would Garnett be if he had to do the job JO's been asked to do?

Sure KG is more productive stat wise than JO, and he might even fit in better, but he's not enough better that we should add Granger or Harrison to any trade, no matter who else Minnesota throws in.

No, I would keep JO and one, not play him at center. Two, I would ask him to lose five or ten pounds. Three, we don't need someone making even more money than JO.

PacerMan
02-21-2006, 04:50 PM
I was just trying, in the immortal words of Fred G. Sanford, to "nip it in the bud." I see your point, I just think that GS is not all that much better off than Minnesota. Its not that I think that Minnesota is doing a good job building a team around KG, I just think that GS is a poorly conceived team with little balance. I don't really want to argue with you since we actually agree on Minnesota needing to rebuild. After all, you are the one who used a strong work like Cesspool. I just thought that this is an overstatement for a franchise that makes the playoffs almost every year. I think that we all can agree that we hope that KG does not end up on the Lakers; the last thing we all need is another Lakers' dynasty!

Barney Fife was using that phrase long before Fred.