PDA

View Full Version : '06 All Star Dunk Competetion

8.9_seconds
02-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Last Night, though Nate won, the most amazing dunk in the history of the contest took place, and it wasn't by him. Andre's behind the backboard scoop was the best dunk ever,even better than anything Michael Jordan ever attempted.

Can anybody find any move by move pics?

denyfizle
02-19-2006, 02:09 PM
that was indeed an awesome dunk!!! he had to tilt his head and reach real far to get it in. the creativity and level of difficulty was just out of this world! it's a travesty they didn't give it to iggy. you could make a case that he didn't finish strong but Nate really got a lot of "spudd" points from the judges.

Jermaniac
02-19-2006, 02:17 PM
http://www.filefarmer.com/2/afterlife/iggy.gif

Thats the slam dunk champ right there

sweabs
02-19-2006, 02:34 PM
That was the best dunk of the night, but Nate still deserved to win.

18to88
02-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Here is Nate's dunk

http://www.imagedonkey.com/out.php/i4637_spud.gif

Kstat
02-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Sorry, but for a 5'8" guy to do that is just ridiculous.

It's andre's own fault for not saving his dunk until the finals.

efx
02-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Iggy blew it by using that dunk in the first round. He simply needed to have something more impressive the second round.

While I got tired of Nate re-doing his dunk so many times, in the end his dunks added up as a better performance.

8.9_seconds
02-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Nate did deserve to win, but I still stand by statement as that being the greatest dunk ever.

sweabs
02-19-2006, 02:49 PM
I posted this in the Saturday night thread, but it most likely was overlooked:

I don't have any problem with these guys taking taking mulitple runs at completing a said dunk.

I guess some of you haven't tried doing the stuff they're trying to do......but get this - it's kinda difficult.

They're trying to pull some of the most creative stuff we've never seen before - and at this point, that's getting hard. Last night's contest was great, if for no other reason that we SAW some amazing stuff that had never been done before.

Who cares about the missed ones? Seriously...no one is going to look back at that - all that you can appreciate is how hard it is to complete some of those dunks, and it's not going to happen first try (these guys are human). When we look back at this all, we'll just see the completed products and those were amazing. That was a great dunk contest.

Iguodala's behind the back of the backboard dunk was one of the best dunks I've ever seen. Unfortunately for him, none of his others were too special. As for Nate - almost every dunk of his had me out of my seat. I cannot believe the stuff he was doing. I still cannot believe it. Just take a second to think about it - that kid is probably 5'6...it's unbelievable. He deserved that one.

*By the way, I agree that it was Iggy's own fault for pulling that dunk out too early. But in reality, that was his only dunk that had me out of my chair. If you want to use the degree of difficulty argument, I think it's pretty difficult for a little 5'6 guy to be doing the stuff that Nate did last night. Just to get up and dunk at that height is a feat in of itself...but to do the crazy stuff he demonstrated on TOP of it all...phew...I'm still in disbelief.

SjA3837
02-19-2006, 02:50 PM
They need to have some sort of shot clock, or a limit on how many attempts you make.

sweabs
02-19-2006, 02:54 PM
They need to have some sort of shot clock, or a limit on how many attempts you make.

No they don't. That's the LAST thing that I want to see happen.

Kstat
02-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Exactly. I don't want people scared to try a more difficult dunk for fear of missing.

Pig Nash
02-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Iggy blew it by using that dunk in the first round. He simply needed to have something more impressive the second round.

While I got tired of Nate re-doing his dunk so many times, in the end his dunks added up as a better performance.

He wouldn't have got to the finals without pulling that out. I think he was trying to save it, but couldn't.

Jon Theodore
02-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Everyone seems to think AI should of won, but I have to disagree. No way is Nate Robinson 5'8. Spud Webb is 5'7 and since he is older he is probably like 5'6 and Nate Robinson didn't seem taller than Spud by any means. NAte is 5'6 at most, so yeah the fact he can dunk ALONE makes him the winner. I mean seriously the dunk he took so many attempts to do was a JOKE. That kids hops are out of this world. He deserved to win although AI impressed me a lot. I thought it was one of the better dunk contests in a while.

scar
02-19-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm pretty sure you mean '06 dunk contest

SjA3837
02-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Exactly. I don't want people scared to try a more difficult dunk for fear of missing.
They could have a shot clock that gives them plenty of time, but not enough to miss the drunk 14 times before they actually make it.

Mr. Pink
02-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Nate tooooook toooooooooo long. If he could have done it on the first 2 tries...then the dunk would have beeeeen AWESOME! But the moment passed after he tried a hundred times.

By the way: What was up with Smith placing the tape like a foot behind the free throw line? I never did hear an explanation for that.

sweabs
02-19-2006, 04:35 PM
It doesn't matter how long it takes; the dunk was obviously in his repetoire, meaning that he's completed it before. It's hard when you're doing that in front of thousands of people, and millions watching on TV.

We would not have seen some of the CRAZY things we have seen if a limit was imposed on these guys - and that would suck big time.

As for Josh Smith's first dunk - I still don't know what that was about, but you can't go putting a piece of tape that far out and have the crowd thinking "ohhhhhh my God" and then pull the most basic dunk ever. That was a big let-down. I'm going to wonder if he could have actually done that dunk from where the tape was marked, if that was it's original significance...

MagicRat
02-19-2006, 04:36 PM
I posted this in the Saturday night thread, but it most likely was overlooked:

I don't have any problem with these guys taking taking mulitple runs at completing a said dunk.

I guess some of you haven't tried doing the stuff they're trying to do......but get this - it's kinda difficult.

They're trying to pull some of the most creative stuff we've never seen before - and at this point, that's getting hard. Last night's contest was great, if for no other reason that we SAW some amazing stuff that had never been done before.

Who cares about the missed ones? Seriously...no one is going to look back at that - all that you can appreciate is how hard it is to complete some of those dunks, and it's not going to happen first try (these guys are human). When we look back at this all, we'll just see the completed products and those were amazing. That was a great dunk contest.

Iguodala's behind the back of the backboard dunk was one of the best dunks I've ever seen. Unfortunately for him, none of his others were too special. As for Nate - almost every dunk of his had me out of my seat. I cannot believe the stuff he was doing. I still cannot believe it. Just take a second to think about it - that kid is probably 5'6...it's unbelievable. He deserved that one.

*By the way, I agree that it was Iggy's own fault for pulling that dunk out too early. But in reality, that was his only dunk that had me out of my chair. If you want to use the degree of difficulty argument, I think it's pretty difficult for a little 5'6 guy to be doing the stuff that Nate did last night. Just to get up and dunk at that height is a feat in of itself...but to do the crazy stuff he demonstrated on TOP of it all...phew...I'm still in disbelief.

The guy had over 20 misses in the finals and dunk-off.

In the finals they both went between the legs and got the same score, but Iguodala dunked it with his off hand. Bonus point from me.

Then in the dunk-off, Robinson's actual dunk was a straight-in one-handed off the board dunk. Who cares that he went between his legs on the toss after 14 tries? To me it ended up looking like a lucky toss and a straight ahead boring dunk. Iguodala jumped from one side, went through his legs and dunked on the other.

That said, all in all it was a fun contest. I just thought the wrong guy won.......Nothing to get too worked up over.....

sweabs
02-19-2006, 04:45 PM
The guy had over 20 misses in the finals and dunk-off.
It doesn't matter though. What is being judged in the end is the final result.

In the finals they both went between the legs and got the same score, but Iguodala dunked it with his off hand. Bonus point from me.

Then in the dunk-off, Robinson's actual dunk was a straight-in one-handed off the board dunk. Who cares that he went between his legs on the toss after 14 tries? To me it ended up looking like a lucky toss and a straight ahead boring dunk. Iguodala jumped from one side, went through his legs and dunked on the other.
Yet Nate's dunk required the most precise timing imaginable. Bonus points from me.

Oh yeah, and the fact that he's about 5'6...more bonus points.

That said, all in all it was a fun contest. I just thought the wrong guy won.......Nothing to get too worked up over.....
I agree, it was a fun contest.

efx
02-19-2006, 04:57 PM
The TNT guys were such hypocrits though. They were on Chris Anderssons case all last year for not making the dunk yet when Nate was missing his attempts they were all behind him.

sweabs
02-19-2006, 05:01 PM
The TNT guys were such hypocrits though. They were on Chris Andersens case all last year for not making the dunk yet when Nate was missing his attempts they were all behind him.

I agree, although the level of difficulty for Nate's dunks far outweighed what Andersen was trying last year, so it was understandable in my eyes.

All I know is that Nate was lucky because on one of his attempts (I believe it was his final dunk), he caught the toss but wasn't going to be able to dunk it so he just threw the ball up in frustration as a lay-up. Lucky for him it didn't go in.

Ultimate Frisbee
02-19-2006, 05:02 PM
I also think that Nate Robinson should have won, as his ability to dunk impresses me a lot. AI's dunk was one for the ages however...

GO!!!!!
02-19-2006, 05:08 PM
if Nate had made his dunk the first time, then the whole show would have been over in ten minutes, this was my first live watching of All Star Saturday and coulden't belive how short it was, it was listed in the guide as being 3 hours long and the first 2 contests lasted like 15 Minutes

I think AI's dunk was awesome, but nate was the man of the moment, he can fly thats for sure, whats his nickname, Jumpin Jack Nate Robinson

they need to beef the skills and shooting challenge to make it last longer..

Great contest and can't wait for tonight..

MagicRat
02-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Yet Nate's dunk required the most precise timing imaginable. Bonus points from me.

I agree that he would've dominated a tossing contest, but I don't give bonus points for it.

As for all of the attempts, some of us already know how you feel about mulligans.......:-p

Oh yeah, and the fact that he's about 5'6...more bonus points.

If you're in the dunk contest, I assume you can dunk. No bonus points for size. (I didn't think Spud won 20 years ago, either)

SoupIsGood
02-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Tons of misses make it boring to watch

sweabs
02-19-2006, 05:24 PM
I agree that he would've dominated a tossing contest, but I don't give bonus points for it.
I've never been a big proponent of the fancy tossing that goes on, like in last years contest where Steve Nash did all the work for Amare (who converted with relatively easy dunks).

However, what Nate's toss did required extreme, and exact precision and timing. It's unbelievable. The difficulty of that dunk, on timing alone is through the roof.

As for all of the attempts, some of us already know how you feel about mulligans.......:-p
Yeah, yeah I know :D

My golf game likes 'em too. J/K.

If you're in the dunk contest, I assume you can dunk. No bonus points for size. (I didn't think Spud won 20 years ago, either)
The bonus points aren't for size in my book, but for the degree of difficulty. When you're that small, the degree of difficulty for converting the dunk goes way up (or at least in my books).

I mean, seriously - I still can't believe what I saw him do last night. I don't know how tall you are, and I presume you're taller than Nate...but can you imagine doing the stuff he was doing at that size? It's mind-boggling in my eyes. Like I said, I'm still in disbelief that I witnessed someone that tiny perform and complete such difficult dunks.

Big Smooth
02-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Horrible ending to the dunk contest. Yes, a man should be able to make his dunk in less than 14 attempts. Nate Robinson's victory with that type of ending made the evening a waste of time.

AI2 won the contest as far as I'm concerned.

In the past, seems like guys didn't get more than 3 attepts at a given dunk. And it didn't take away from creativity. It's an absolute joke, what you'd give Nate 25 chances if he need it? 30?

02-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Andre made some of the best dunks, but competing against a 5´7"-8" guy with a 50++ inch vertical leap who jumps over buildings in his spare time, is really not a good idea, no matter who you are and what you can! THAT IS RARE, if a guy like this joins a dunk contest... just give him the Trophy and walk home!

I mean, 5´7" human just TOUCHING the rim at 10 feet is incredible!! Doing the things Nate Robinson did is ridicilous, you can only see that in Movies! Doesnt matter even if he gets 50 tries for a single dunk, but to KNOW that he can make it, oh man.............

Also, this is the first time ive seen someone LITERALLY jump over a MAN! He only moved his toes to right a bit to not hit Spuds forehead.

Moses
02-19-2006, 07:45 PM
The judges changed the scores anyways. They were originally heading for a second dunk off but one of the judges pulled down his 10 and put up a 9 when TNT realized they were almost out of time.

Needless to say, there needs to be a limit of 5 or so..What I want to see next year is something involving the side of the backboard..Imagine bouncing it off that and then going for a reverse from the out of bounds line..I'm sure I'll see it in the next 3 years because these dunks are getting more and more creative.