PDA

View Full Version : OT: what do you think of this?

rabid
02-19-2006, 02:47 PM
OK, I'm still going to do the voice chat tests, but I have another idea.

After looking over the game threads and reading a lot of literature (and reading your responses to the surveys - thank you btw), it seems that a good chunk of what goes on in the game threads and live chat is emotional expression and reaction to certain plays - i.e. "Hulk SMASH," "BOOM BABY!" etc.

So, I'm thinking of building a Flash-based game chat system where we all can log on, do the normal text chat etc., but each of us would have our own voice-activated avatar. ACTUALLY HEARING EACH OTHER SPEAK WOULD BE OPTIONAL, in fact it may not be necessary at all. But the volume of our expressions, cheers etc would be detected with a micropohone and displayed visually onscreen for all to see.

I've mocked up a crude example of how one of these avatars might look (using my own username of course, and one of the PD smileys). Note: this web page actually DOES work when you connect a microphone, but you'll have to follow the brief instructions at the top of the page to get it working right.

Here's the link:

http://sulu.informatics.indiana.edu/~gweldon/matthewweldon/capstone/test1/

Now you could do some fun stuff with this. Imagine a page that looked similar, but you could see EVERYBODY's avatar in real-time, and would also be provided a chat window. Customization features would be possible, such as getting to pick your own emoticon (i.e. instead of the "go pacers" sign, you could enter custom text, wave pompoms, fireworks, one of magicrat's pictures or whatever).

On big plays where everybody is hollering you could do something that affects the whole screen etc.

Does this even make sense? I have a very good mental picture of it in my mind but I'm not sure if I'm explaining it properly. What do you guys think?

rabid
02-19-2006, 03:32 PM
OK, I know you guys are checking it out... :)

...Any thoughts on the concept? (Btw, gotta head out in a few min, but I'll check back tonight)

rabid
02-19-2006, 03:40 PM
I get it. You guys think I'm nuts don't you. :D

sweabs
02-19-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm really not too picky to tell you the truth. Anything you do right now is going to be revolutionary compared to what we're used to and based on that link you posted, it looks very cool. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Hicks
02-19-2006, 04:48 PM
I'm on my mac laptop (which has a built-in microphone; so that's what I'd likely use whenever I would get on such a chat), and all I get is a gray screen on the webpage.

rabid
02-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Tose who can't see it may not have the newest flash player installed, especially people who can't see it on a linux.

I'll try to get another version up soon that uses an older version - like I said it was something quick that I threw togehter in 10 min or so.

Hicks
02-19-2006, 11:02 PM
I just downloaded the latest macromedia flash player for MacOSX and it works now. :)