PDA

View Full Version : (WARNING: Brawl Article) And Then There Was One.

Los Angeles
02-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Charges dropped against fan involved in Palace brawl

February 17, 2006

ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- Prosecutors have dismissed criminal charges against one of the fans involved in a brawl that broke out among Indiana Pacers players and Detroit Pistons fans at The Palace of Auburn Hills last year.

William Paulson, 27, of Grand Blanc, had been charged with misdemeanor assault and battery, but Oakland County Assistant Prosecutor Paul Walton said Friday that videotape from the Nov. 19, 2004, incident and statements from witnesses showed that Paulson was merely defending a friend against Pacers player Ron Artest.

The brawl started after Detroit Pistons center Ben Wallace shoved Artest following a hard foul. After they were separated, Artest was doused with a beverage, rushed into the stands and began beating a man he thought had thrown the drink. Some of his teammates joined him in the stands and also clashed with fans on the court.

Artest and four other Indiana players -- Anthony Johnson, David Harrison, Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson -- were among those charged in the case. They each pleaded no contest to misdemeanor assault and battery and were sentenced to probation and community service. All except Harrison also were suspended by the NBA.

Several fans also were charged, and most have been sentenced to probation.

The only case still pending is that of John Green, 41, of Oakland County's West Bloomfield Township, Walton told The Oakland Press of Pontiac. Green, who is accused of lobbing the cup that ignited the fracas, is scheduled to stand trial next month on two counts of misdemeanor assault and battery.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-palace-brawl&prov=ap&type=lgns

Shade
02-18-2006, 03:28 PM
After they were separated, Artest was doused with a beverage, rushed into the stands and began beating a man he thought had thrown the drink.

Irresponsible journalism at its finest.

Trader Joe
02-18-2006, 03:43 PM
... and began beating the man he thought had thrown the drink....

Some people will just never get their facts straight. So sad.

Los Angeles
02-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Do you guys prefer "tackling"? "Pummelling"? "Clutching"? "Violently forcing to the ground"? What verb do you prefer?

Kegboy
02-18-2006, 04:00 PM
What ever happened to the guy who threw the chair?

Swingman
02-18-2006, 04:01 PM
shoving is a more appropriate term for what Artest did. Beating makes it appear like was punching the guy and causing bodily damage.

Lord Helmet
02-18-2006, 04:07 PM
I think his pathetic *** got about two years of probation.

Maybe. I'm not sure.

Bball
02-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Do you guys prefer "tackling"? "Pummelling"? "Clutching"? "Violently forcing to the ground"? What verb do you prefer?

"questioning"

"finding"

"discussions with"

"negotiating with"

Spin baby, spin!!!

:devil:

-BBall

Bball
02-18-2006, 04:35 PM

He was probably awarded keys to the city... if they found the keys they had awarded Saddam then they gave him those.

-Bball

Los Angeles
02-18-2006, 04:46 PM
shoving is a more appropriate term for what Artest did. Beating makes it appear like was punching the guy and causing bodily damage.
The guy was OK, but that doesn't make assault OK. But here's my point: is the use of the word "beating" irresponsible? The kid was assaulted by a 6'8 260 pound pile of muscle. I'm trying desperately to find the kid's quote on the ordeal but it was something like: "He [Artest] was holding me down and kind of pummeling me and saying 'was it you?! was it you?!"

Right, using the word "beating" is just SO irresponsible compared to the coverage of the lead-up to war. :rolleyes:

grace
02-18-2006, 06:05 PM
On a side note anyone hear what happened before the Michigan State-Michigan game today? Exactly what does the state of Michigan have against security at sporting events?

For those of you who didn't see it here's what happened. Some of the Michigan players were shooting baskets long before the game started. There was hardly anyone at the arena except for one drunk MSU fan who somehow managed to get down on the floor. He said something to Michigan's player Ba who was sitting on the bench. It degenerated from there until the Michigan player pushed the guy to the floor. The drunk smashed his head against the floor and was taken to the hospital. Both schools are investigating.

:shakehead And people wonder why I no longer admit I'm from Michigan.

N8R
02-18-2006, 11:36 PM
"Politely inquiring"
"Civilily questioning"

I think those are better.

PacerFan31
02-19-2006, 12:46 AM
who cares what they use, the fact is he grabbed the guys face and slammed it into a chair or w/e

We need to QUIT STICKING UP FOR THIS MAN!

He didn't/doesn't give a damn about us, so why should we care about him.

Hicks
02-19-2006, 12:52 AM
I think using the term "beating" implied he started slamming his fist into the guy repeatedly, so I don't like them using it.

Maybe I need to read it again, but which fan exactly is this? One of the ones on the floor?