PDA

View Full Version : JO comments on trade rumor printed by Chicago Tribune

McKeyFan
02-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Uncle Buck posted this as part of another thread and I think its worthy of its own thread.

Personally, I was rather stunned by JO's comments and the rumor. (maybe I'm naieve). I don't like the trade idea--we could get a lot more for JO--but I do like the idea of trading JO, considering how we have performed lately.

Article: NBA GMs confront the ills of three-division playoffs setup

BY SAM SMITH
Chicago Tribune

HOUSTON - Part of All-Star weekend is the annual meeting of league general managers . . .

Trade rumors and speculation are the stock of All-Star weekend, and they continued to circulate. There have been some involving Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal, who is here but injured. Sports Illustrated even depicted him in a Bulls uniform in proposing a trade for Kirk Hinrich and a No. 1 pick. It is not under discussion, though O'Neal said he could see a time he would be traded.

"We've had a team generally set to win it," he said. "Situations happened that tore our team apart a little bit. I've heard rumors. No player can get too comfortable in this league. If they feel I cannot get it done, I'll try to go somewhere else and get it done."

Shade
02-18-2006, 02:13 PM
This is not the first time that JO has made a comment with the feeling he may be traded. I wonder if he knows something we don't?

I guess it should be no big shock to me if he is. It's not like I just got a brand new JO jersey or anything... :mad:

Jermaniac
02-18-2006, 02:18 PM
If we trade JO for freaking Kirk Heinrich and a damn pick, our managment got to be the stupidest in the NBA. If JO is traded ship him out west and for more then a damn point guard who isnt that good anyway.

Outlaw
02-18-2006, 02:30 PM
If we trade JO for freaking Kirk Heinrich and a damn pick, our managment got to be the stupidest in the NBA. If JO is traded ship him out west and for more then a damn point guard who isnt that good anyway.

Agreed. If he IS moved it will be this summer.Injured players with his salary would be hard to move until he can play again.JMO

Shade
02-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Agreed. If he IS moved it will be this summer.Injured players with his salary would be hard to move until he can play again.JMO

That makes sense, as it would premature to trade him before seeing how he works in this system.

Seems to me TPTB's thinking is that, since this team was built around a piece that is no longer here (Artest), it needs to be completely restructured to compete for a title again.

Los Angeles
02-18-2006, 02:50 PM
JO is right on the money with what he's saying.

If Wilt can be traded, ANYONE can.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
02-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Weird how he didnt comment on the Bulls jersey picture, anyone know what the story is behind that, is it photoshopped? Anyone have a link to the picture?

Also, Im not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but say we were gonna trade JO, I think TPTB would try to make sure he goes to the Western Conference, not an EC team. Let alone a division rival whos right down the street.

Roy Munson
02-18-2006, 03:13 PM
My guess is if he is traded it will be for a KG, Timmy D, Wade, Bron type of player. I dont see usparting ways for anything less, and frankly, I dont see any of those guys being offered for JO any time soon.

You overestimate JO's value.

Pig Nash
02-18-2006, 03:18 PM
You overestimate JO's value.

He said that no one would give those players up for JO. JO's in a weird place where he's a great player but not enough to yield an elite one, but too good to give him up for something less.

Bball
02-18-2006, 03:20 PM
JO is right on the money with what he's saying.

If Wilt can be traded, ANYONE can.

Kareem... Shaq... Brad Miller :devil:

-Bball

Los Angeles
02-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Kareem... Shaq... Brad Miller :devil:

-Bball
Brad Miller - PRICELESS! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Pig Nash
02-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Thank you for saying what I meant, but couldnt put into words.

No problem man. I feel the same way. If we traded JO, we'd have to package him with another good player. Maybe Tins, or Stephen Jackson. :devil:

Anthem
02-18-2006, 06:02 PM
JO for KG. :pray:

NorCal_Pacerfan
02-18-2006, 06:13 PM

Dude - I finally agree with you 100%

If the Pacers even THINK about trading O'Neal for who, uh, who? Heinrich!!??? (I just fell off my chair) - I would seriously question my own loyalty to the franchise.

PacerMan
02-18-2006, 08:26 PM
That makes sense, as it would premature to trade him before seeing how he works in this system.

Seems to me TPTB's thinking is that, since this team was built around a piece that is no longer here (Artest), it needs to be completely restructured to compete for a title again.

Not. SHow me ANY NBA team plan that doesn't begin with a low post scoring threat.
hint: you can't

PCC87
02-18-2006, 08:34 PM
This is not the first time that JO has made a comment with the feeling he may be traded. I wonder if he knows something we don't?

I guess it should be no big shock to me if he is. It's not like I just got a brand new JO jersey or anything... :mad:

Yeah you really can't be sure you're not wasting your money buying a jersey now a days.I bought a new :banghead: Artest jersey :censored:

Pacerized
02-18-2006, 09:02 PM
He said that no one would give those players up for JO. JO's in a weird place where he's a great player but not enough to yield an elite one, but too good to give him up for something less.

A lot of fans thought we were getting nothing for Artest either. I was shocked at how poorly our own fans estimated his trade value. Some people are just pessimist. J.O. is one of the few big men in the league with a fully developed low post game. There is no way he gets traded for anything less then an elite player. That Chicago article is a joke.

J_2_Da_IzzO
02-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Beginning of the season everyone stuck with Artest saying hes our leader and hes the main man at Indiana and when he decides he wants to be traded we all feel like dicks for sticking by him saying he can change.

JO has ALWAYS stuck by Indiana through thick and thin, took over as leader this year and under circumstances didnt do that bad, reiterated repeatedly he would love to stay at Indiana for many more years yet everyone is always talking about trading him.

If hes traded, so be it, but hopefully for KG and nothing less because I feel he is behind Timmy and KG in the top PFs list BUT lets not carry on saying we want him traded and hoping its for him or hoping its for them. He even made sure there was no return for Artest in an Indiana uniform for the good of the team. We should stick by a guy that has stuck by this basketball team.

BlueNGold
02-18-2006, 09:51 PM
We should stick by a guy that has stuck by this basketball team.
JO has stuck with the team, but let's face it. He is being paid very well to do so. I cannot give extra credit to anyone for sticking with the team who is being paid over 100M.

As for a KG for JO trade, it will NOT happen. A trade for JO and Tins is a better possibility IMO. I hope it happens. KG is a real team player and is a true superstar in the league. Hopefully Kevin and Larry can work something out...

BlueNGold
02-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Dude - I finally agree with you 100%

If the Pacers even THINK about trading O'Neal for who, uh, who? Heinrich!!??? (I just fell off my chair) - I would seriously question my own loyalty to the franchise.
JO is an all star and a top 20 player. That would be a GREAT deal for Chicago. It would eliminate all hope of a Pacers championship for a decade IMO...and would eliminate all respect I have for TPTB. Not going to happen.

SycamoreKen
02-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Weird how he didnt comment on the Bulls jersey picture, anyone know what the story is behind that, is it photoshopped? Anyone have a link to the picture?

Also, Im not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but say we were gonna trade JO, I think TPTB would try to make sure he goes to the Western Conference, not an EC team. Let alone a division rival whos right down the street.

After seeing the pic. in the current issue of SI, it looks like they took and old picture of Kukoc and pasted the jersey onto J.O. It showed him in full uniform, not a Bulls throwback.

sunsun
02-19-2006, 01:43 AM
i don't agree with trade JO.he is the best players in NBA.if trade he,no one can against TD or KG......:mad: :mad: :mad:

Eindar
02-19-2006, 03:16 AM
We'd have to get back a lot more than Heinrich and a 1st. When trading a franchise player, you have to get back an equal franchise player, or a lesser franchise player + a very good 2nd option. Not to mention that would give us 4 PGs, 3 of which could start for most teams.

Kingsfanbmiller
02-19-2006, 03:47 AM
I think the chicago trade would suck, but why does every spell Hinrich's name wrong? It's Hinrich, not HEinrich.

Eindar
02-19-2006, 03:56 AM
I think the chicago trade would suck, but why does every spell Hinrich's name wrong? It's Hinrich, not HEinrich.

My mistake. Isn't there another semi-famous Heinrich out there?

Pacesetter
02-19-2006, 04:39 AM
JO is one of the best Pacers to ever don the jersey, trading him would be a slap across the face of about 18,345 people who still show up to games on a regular basis (especially now that football season's over).

JO is someone I'd be sick if we traded, he means too much to our club, and too much to the fans, and if he were traded they'd lose alot of fan support, including mine to some degree - I'd really take a step back away from the game and maybe just watch my video collection from the past.

These rumors are mean. People just need to support the players they've got and be happy for a change.

Tony Valente
02-19-2006, 05:22 AM
Can Amare play the 4? Why not? He played the 5 at Suns because of the situation of their roster only, right?

Kingsfanbmiller
02-19-2006, 06:21 AM
Can Amare play the 4? Why not? He played the 5 at Suns because of the situation of their roster only, right?

He's really a 4 not a 5, but I he just had Microfracture surgery on his knee and has a huge contract. The surgery that Chris Webber, Penny Hardaway, Jason Kidd, etc. had.

D-BONE
02-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Question. So can SI just manufacture someone's photo like that? Assuming that this is doctored up and not something JO actually consented to. Does a magazine have to at least get somebody's permission to use their photo on a cover or something? If I'm JO and I had no awareness of this at all, I'm angry at SI. On the other hand, if his consent is sought and granted regarding the cover, then I think it's back to the issue of why agree to that? Room for some interesting specualtion there.

aceace
02-19-2006, 09:30 AM
Why would we want Kirk? We got too many guards now and not enough playing time. I would trade Jax for Kirk but other then that JO would have to command at least 2 first rnders and one would have to be top 3. I really want to keep JO and see if Peja helps open things up for him a little. IMHO Jax is our only liability and he seems to be playing better lately.

SycamoreKen
02-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Question. So can SI just manufacture someone's photo like that? Assuming that this is doctored up and not something JO actually consented to. Does a magazine have to at least get somebody's permission to use their photo on a cover or something? If I'm JO and I had no awareness of this at all, I'm angry at SI. On the other hand, if his consent is sought and granted regarding the cover, then I think it's back to the issue of why agree to that? Room for some interesting specualtion there.

Here is what Ian Thomsen wrote in the SI article under the heading 5 Potential Summer Moves: "The Bulls send Kirk Hinrich and the Knicks' unprotected lottery pick (received in the Eddy Curry trade) to the Pacers for Jermaine O'Neal. Imagine that. " There was then a small arrow pointing to the picture of JO in a Bulls uniform. That should explain the picture.

This info. is in the extra part of the web page for SI subscribers, hence no direct link.

rexnom
02-19-2006, 09:57 AM
JO is one of the best Pacers to ever don the jersey, trading him would be a slap across the face of about 18,345 people who still show up to games on a regular basis (especially now that football season's over).

JO is someone I'd be sick if we traded, he means too much to our club, and too much to the fans, and if he were traded they'd lose alot of fan support, including mine to some degree - I'd really take a step back away from the game and maybe just watch my video collection from the past.

These rumors are mean. People just need to support the players they've got and be happy for a change.

I think this trade would be bad for the reasons you mentioned but let me ask you this: if KG became available and the price was J.O. and another player or so, say Tinsley, would you really be against that? Would the fan base in general be against that?

D-BONE
02-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Here is what Ian Thomsen wrote in the SI article under the heading 5 Potential Summer Moves: "The Bulls send Kirk Hinrich and the Knicks' unprotected lottery pick (received in the Eddy Curry trade) to the Pacers for Jermaine O'Neal. Imagine that. " There was then a small arrow pointing to the picture of JO in a Bulls uniform. That should explain the picture.

This info. is in the extra part of the web page for SI subscribers, hence no direct link.

I see. Thank you, SK, for clarifying that for me.

denyfizle
02-19-2006, 11:07 AM
Salarywise, for a team that wins a lot of games without their highest paid player to get Heinrich and a lottery pick doesn't sound that bad to me- especially if he reacts like that.

grace
02-19-2006, 11:30 AM

Define regular basis. In 25 games the Pacers only had that many in attendance six times. The average attendance was 16,159.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/teams/Attendance100.htm

Hicks
02-19-2006, 11:31 AM
I'm glad we're not all arguing the semantics.

Jermaniac
02-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Not even close. JO is a very good young player, but no way is he "one of the best".

NOw if he can put together 3-4 more of those MVP type seasons like he had a few years ago, and stay injury free, then that may change

Im not going to go down this road again, but its a business. The players realize it, Im not sure why fans [at least certain fans] cant realize it.....ONE OF THE BEST, Yesir

Kegboy
02-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Define regular basis. In 25 games the Pacers only had that many in attendance six times. The average attendance was 16,159.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/teams/Attendance100.htm

Ugh. Lots of 14's on that list.

Hicks
02-19-2006, 11:41 AM
If JO's not one of the best Pacers of all-time, who is? He's one of the most talented, easily. Are you including more than just talent?

Jermaniac
02-19-2006, 11:43 AM
George McGinnis,Mel daniels, Reggie Miller..........Jermaine O'Neal

Hicks
02-19-2006, 11:44 AM
George McGinnis,Mel daniels, Reggie Miller..........

Reggie Miller wasn't as talented at Jermaine is. Now, if you're talking about making the most with what you have, Reggie blows him away IMO.

Pacesetter
02-19-2006, 12:28 PM
I think this trade would be bad for the reasons you mentioned but let me ask you this: if KG became available and the price was J.O. and another player or so, say Tinsley, would you really be against that? Would the fan base in general be against that?

I've heard alot of persuasive talk about bringing KG here for JO. I don't doubt for a minute that KG is a phenomenal player, and I'd LOVE to have him in a Pacers uniform, but I'm against the idea for two major reasons, and that's tenure with the team & comparable skill levels.

JO has been with us for quite a long time now - 6 seasons. He has gotten better each year he's been with us to where he is now in a select group of PF's that averages 20 pts/10 rebs per game. He has watched alot of garabge unfold during that time. Letting Al go, JB's injury situation, JT's injury situation, Artest, the brawl, etc ...

JO was a starter on the All STar team, and that says alot! He's a homegrown product who is now considered one of the best in the business. Heck, I still remember back in the day wishing Charles Barkley would have came to Indiana to play instead of Phoenix, but what I really wanted was a star to play alongside Reggie that could play in the paint as good as Barkley but earned his reputation as a Pacer - JO has done that! He's the face of the Pacers now, and when people think of JO they think of the Indiana Pacers. Since KG obviously epitomizes Minnesota basketball, why would I shop JO with him when their numbers are pretty evenly matched and the small tip of the scales to KG neither negates the possibility of JO getting better, nor does it guarantee a championship with the team we've got - a team KG has NO experience playing with?!?!?!

I haven't even mentioned loyalty - JO's family! I just can't accept the idea of trading him for anyone else. It's like he said, only I'll say it for fans, talk of sending JO somewhere else crosses a line that is all about loyalty, I can't allow myself (as a fan) to do that with JO.

JMO!

Pacesetter
02-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Reggie Miller wasn't as talented at Jermaine is. Now, if you're talking about making the most with what you have, Reggie blows him away IMO.

Reggie was more than 19.4 ppg, he built something here, and even though he was unable to "finish the job" as he says, he built something beautiful in the middle of cornfields! Reggie's talent goes beyond the court and his leadership was off the charts!

I wouldn't say Reggie is better than JO or vice versa (talent wise). JMO.

Big Smooth
02-19-2006, 01:57 PM
The funny thing is that this "rumor" started with the brainstorm of some NBA beat writer for Sports Illustrated. *sigh* People make mountains out of anthills sometimes.

By no means is Jermaine O'Neal the chosen one who cannot be traded under any circumstance. On the other hand, such talk is silly and premature until we see him back and play with the current group of players. For all the wailing and knashing of teeth about him ruining our flow, who knows maybe that won't be the case?

If Jermaine is dealt, it happens over the summer. That isn't a current concern it just happens some random guy at SI threw out a blurb and has people in a tizzy. The current concern is seeing Jermaine come back and fit into our jigsaw puzzle. I don't really have a single thing to say about dealing him until he comes back and plays again.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
02-19-2006, 02:05 PM

Im sorry but I still dont understand, this only explains to me why the picture was there, not how it was made. I still want to know the answer to D-Bone's questions: namely did JO conset to this picture or did SI print it w/out permission?

rexnom
02-19-2006, 04:55 PM
I've heard alot of persuasive talk about bringing KG here for JO. I don't doubt for a minute that KG is a phenomenal player, and I'd LOVE to have him in a Pacers uniform, but I'm against the idea for two major reasons, and that's tenure with the team & comparable skill levels.

JO has been with us for quite a long time now - 6 seasons. He has gotten better each year he's been with us to where he is now in a select group of PF's that averages 20 pts/10 rebs per game. He has watched alot of garabge unfold during that time. Letting Al go, JB's injury situation, JT's injury situation, Artest, the brawl, etc ...

JO was a starter on the All STar team, and that says alot! He's a homegrown product who is now considered one of the best in the business. Heck, I still remember back in the day wishing Charles Barkley would have came to Indiana to play instead of Phoenix, but what I really wanted was a star to play alongside Reggie that could play in the paint as good as Barkley but earned his reputation as a Pacer - JO has done that! He's the face of the Pacers now, and when people think of JO they think of the Indiana Pacers. Since KG obviously epitomizes Minnesota basketball, why would I shop JO with him when their numbers are pretty evenly matched and the small tip of the scales to KG neither negates the possibility of JO getting better, nor does it guarantee a championship with the team we've got - a team KG has NO experience playing with?!?!?!

I haven't even mentioned loyalty - JO's family! I just can't accept the idea of trading him for anyone else. It's like he said, only I'll say it for fans, talk of sending JO somewhere else crosses a line that is all about loyalty, I can't allow myself (as a fan) to do that with JO.

JMO!

Good points about loyalty and all that. I agree with some of it, disagree with some of it. However, I would like to wait and revisit this in the offseason after we've seen how successful JO is with Peja and in the new offense. Only then will this really matter. Obviously KG over JO is going to be a HUGE upgrade if we just go back to the old, slow offense. But if JO fits in like he says he will and he is perfect then there is really no reason to do anything. All of this assumes that there is such a deal on the table.

SycamoreKen
02-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Im sorry but I still dont understand, this only explains to me why the picture was there, not how it was made. I still want to know the answer to D-Bone's questions: namely did JO conset to this picture or did SI print it w/out permission?

If SI owned both pictures then JO had no say in them printing it. I doubt very much that he or the Pacers would take the time during the season to have him pose in an opponent's uniform. I have no specific link, but this is similar to other prediction/what if stories where players have been represented in other teams uniforms to give some gloss to a story. I'm not sure SI hasn't done it before in other sports in stories associated with trade rumors.

OnlyPacersLeft
02-20-2006, 04:21 PM
sometimes taking talent over personality is not what you want to do. Do you really want KG here? a guy who has feuded with teammates and is known to generally hate the fans? This guy said he HATES signing autographs not just because people sell them but because he doesn't feel he is obligated to do the fans ANYTHING....KG back in faragut HS was once involved in a incident where he and his friends jumped one kid and they beat him senseless...do you really want a guy like KG who is not THAT MUCH more talented than JO? plus he's older!
KG is overrated.

Fool
02-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Trading a big for yet another small is definately a good move. An all PG line-up. No one will ever play a smaller small ball.

Will Galen
02-20-2006, 05:25 PM
A lot of fans thought we were getting nothing for Artest either. I was shocked at how poorly our own fans estimated his trade value. Some people are just pessimist. J.O. is one of the few big men in the league with a fully developed low post game. There is no way he gets traded for anything less then an elite player. That Chicago article is a joke.

Besides Kirk Hinrich and a No. 1 pick, I would want Tyson Chandler and Ben Gordon too. We could throw in the Tin man.

If Chicago said no, no problem, nothing else to discuss, goodby!

Mourning
02-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Taking the speculation further :D, doesn't anybody else think Peja would be a nice or dare I say a very good piece in the summer for teams with say a large serbian population a la Chicago or Toronto and a player they either aren't very likely to keep (Bosh?) or a HIGH pick with whom we could either get a top flight rookie SG or C?

I think IF management would want it we could be a MAJOR player this summer. Lots of pieces that could be moved not all attractive to other teams, but most are IMO.

Regards,

Mourning :cool: