PDA

View Full Version : Francis for Odom being discussed ???? (Update - Cro for George & Slava?)

Unclebuck
02-18-2006, 09:05 AM
I find all this difficult to believe, but the rumors will really heat up now.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-magic1806feb18,0,1827185,print.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines

Magic could deal Francis to Lakers
Among several trade scenarios being discussed is one to bring Lamar Odom to Orlando.
Brian Schmitz
Sentinel Staff Writer

February 18, 2006

HOUSTON -- Steve-O in the same backcourt with Kobe?

Add the Los Angeles Lakers to the list of possible suitors for Orlando Magic guard Steve Francis.

The Lakers are "aggressively" pursuing a trade that would send forward Lamar Odom to the Magic for Francis in a multiplayer deal, NBA sources told the Orlando Sentinel on Friday.

Odom, a 6-foot-10, 230-pound forward, is an all-around player lost in Kobe Bryant's immense shadow with the Lakers. He was acquired in that megadeal involving Shaquille O'Neal and the Miami Heat.

Odom, who is averaging 13.9 points and 9.2 rebounds, has four more years remaining in a contract worth about $51 million.

Francis, who has three more years and about $48 million left on his deal, is in Houston, where he has a home and is attending the festivities involving NBA All-Star Weekend.

Francis' agent, Jeff Fried, said on Friday that the Magic haven't informed him that a trade was pending. The trade deadline is Thursday.

"There's no change in Steve's situation that I'm aware of," he said.

Asked whether Francis was resigned to being traded, Fried said, "No."

Fried continued, "Steve is focused on playing basketball. He just wants to play basketball and have fun playing."

The Magic appear to be in a rebuilding mode with the recent trade with the Detroit Pistons, focusing on getting younger and building around 20-year-old Dwight Howard. The Magic acquired forward Darko Milicic, 21, and point guard Carlos Arroyo, 26, from the Pistons for Kelvin Cato and a conditional first-round draft pick.

Odom is 26, while Francis turns 29 on Tuesday.

The Lakers aren't the only team interested in Francis.

The Houston Rockets -- Francis' former team -- have picked up interest in the past few days to make a "dramatic move" with the Magic.

The Rockets traded Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Cato to the Magic in the summer of 2004 for Tracy McGrady, Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue and Reece Gaines. It is not clear which players the Magic would take back in returning Francis to Houston, although they could be looking for players with expiring, cap-friendly contracts.

The Seattle SuperSonics also have called about Francis and might be offering point guard Luke Ridnour as part of a deal, the source said. Other teams rumored to be linked to a possible Francis deal are the New York Knicks and the Denver Nuggets.

The Knicks might be able to offer the best package of young players such as guard Jamal Crawford, former Florida Gator forward David Lee, forward Trevor Ariza and diminutive guard Nate Robinson.

The Nuggets, according to various reports, would send forward Nene and point guard Earl Watson for Francis. They also might be trying to trade forward Kenyon Martin.

Unclebuck
02-18-2006, 09:09 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/v-pfriendly/story/392486p-332880c.html

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
Billups: Larry should get vet

Saturday, February 18th, 2006

HOUSTON - Isiah Thomas came down here on a flight that was stopping through Houston on its way to Buenos Aires.
"Maybe I'll keep going," Thomas said, laughing.

As much as some Knicks fans wouldn't have had a problem with that, Thomas deplaned in Houston and attended the NBA's rules and competition committee meeting with 29 other team execs yesterday. So the trade rumor-mill involving the Knicks is only going to pick up speed. Along those lines, some of Larry Brown's former players think the coach is pushing Thomas hard to make moves for tried-and-true veterans.

"Even though (Brown) loves the rookies he has - because they play extremely hard and he loves anybody who plays hard and plays right - he is at the stage of his coaching career and life where he needs veteran players," said Chauncey Billups, one of four Pistons who will play in tomorrow's 55th All-Star Game. "Larry loves guys who have been in fights and wars and know what to do every time they're out on the court. That's why I think he'd love to get a guy like Kenyon Martin."

Thomas has been trying to pry Martin out of Denver in recent weeks and would have to get a deal done by Thursday's 3 p.m. trading deadline. There is a great deal of uncertainty now in the Nuggets' front office, with GM Kiki Vandeweghe's future up in the air. But Denver still wouldn't mind shipping out Martin to get out from under his contract.

"(Brown) would love the way Kenyon plays," Billups said. "He wears his emotions on his sleeve when he plays, but he plays extremely hard. He would be a success with the Knicks and (Brown)."

RIM SHOTS: The Lakers refused to part with Lamar Odom in a potential deal for Ron Artest - the Pacers wanted to do it - but they are starting to get the notion that they are never going to win big with Odom. While people like Phil Jackson went into the season thinking they could win 50 games, the Lakers are seeing what Miami and the Clippers did: When Odom is not his team's No.1 star, he gladly retreats into the woodwork and too often isn't a factor. If L.A. decides to deal Odom this summer, the Knicks are locks to try to make a move. Brown rates Odom and Utah's Andrei Kirilenko as two of the most underrated players in the game. ...

For the traditional Friday player interview sessions, it used to be that you watched for which stars pulled a no-show. Most famous, of course, was Michael Jordan, who made a beeline for Vegas to get in a little G&G - golf and gambling - before arriving in the All-Star city. Now, you look for which players violate the dress code. For the first time in history, the NBA instituted a business casual code for the interview sessions, similar to the one it installed this season. Players were instructed to wear collared shirts, slacks or dress jeans, and no sneakers. At least one player, Miami's Dwyane Wade, didn't know of the rule, but went back to his room to change and avoid a fine. Several mega-stars were in violation, including Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady and LeBron James. You will be shocked to learn that the trio sported sweatsuits bearing the name of the sneaker companies with whom they have endorsements. One league official refused to speculate on potential fines. But several players, including Phoenix's Steve Nash, had no trouble putting on a collared shirt for the session. "I don't think the dress code for this is the be-all and end-all," said last year's MVP. "But if everybody looks presentable, people will respect that." For the record, no players have been fined this season for violating the dress code.

SwissExpress
02-18-2006, 09:13 AM
It's interesting what impact would that have for the Lakers in the short term, considereing how long it took Odom to get into Phil's offense (if we may say he already got into it, of course).

Unclebuck
02-18-2006, 09:16 AM
http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

NBA GMs confront the ills of three-division playoffs setup

BY SAM SMITH
Chicago Tribune

HOUSTON - Part of All-Star weekend is the annual meeting of league general managers.

The agenda Friday included several proposed minor rules changes, including not stopping play to hinder a fast break on a 24-second violation, changing spacing on the free-throw lane, allowing coaches to call timeouts, the number of substitutions in a 20-second timeout and halting the latest trend of players walking out of games close to the end. But a larger issue is playoff matchups in a three-division setup.

With San Antonio and Dallas virtually certain to have the best records in the Western Conference and being in the same division, the second-place finisher will get the fourth seed because the division winners get one, two and three in the first round. It means a likely Mavericks-Spurs series in the second round. An even bigger concern, especially in the West this season, is the mediocre Northwest Division that Denver leads with a 28-26 mark. It's possible the Nuggets could win it with a sub-.500 record with eight teams in the conference having better records. Thus the eighth would miss the playoffs to accommodate the division winner. There's some talk of seeding after each round or even doing away with divisions.

"Who's really hanging division banners?" one general manager asked.

Sad time

It long has been an All-Star Game tradition to try to get one of the home team players the MVP award.

The Rockets' Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming are starting for the West with sympathy going toward McGrady, who seems to be going through some sort of depression. He initially said he was too distracted to attend the Friday interview session for the All-Stars.

But he came and said, "I'm going through some things. This weight has gotten heavy for me, and it's taking a toll."

He's shooting just above 30 percent the last 12 games.

"I've dealt with family members passing away, best friends getting killed. This is a lot worse than that because it's a combination of things in different areas. I'm in a tough stage of my life right now. At times, I don't even want to be in the arena or a uniform."

Did you hear ...

Trade rumors and speculation are the stock of All-Star weekend, and they continued to circulate. There have been some involving Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal, who is here but injured. Sports Illustrated even depicted him in a Bulls uniform in proposing a trade for Kirk Hinrich and a No. 1 pick. It is not under discussion, though O'Neal said he could see a time he would be traded.

"We've had a team generally set to win it," he said. "Situations happened that tore our team apart a little bit. I've heard rumors. No player can get too comfortable in this league. If they feel I cannot get it done, I'll try to go somewhere else and get it done."

rexnom
02-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Trade rumors and speculation are the stock of All-Star weekend, and they continued to circulate. There have been some involving Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal, who is here but injured. Sports Illustrated even depicted him in a Bulls uniform in proposing a trade for Kirk Hinrich and a No. 1 pick. It is not under discussion, though O'Neal said he could see a time he would be traded.

"We've had a team generally set to win it," he said. "Situations happened that tore our team apart a little bit. I've heard rumors. No player can get too comfortable in this league. If they feel I cannot get it done, I'll try to go somewhere else and get it done."

Nothing new here...J.O. has said before that if Indy isn't happy with him, they should trade him. That says more about J.O. than anything else. J.O. wants to stay here...I think this is just "Pacers having success without him-rumors." Whenever a player is out and the team plays well, the same thing comes up.

SoupIsGood
02-18-2006, 09:48 AM
I wonder if Bird will make any trades before the deadline

CableKC
02-18-2006, 10:19 AM
The problem with any player that plays next to Kobe is that it is very hard to guage the type of player that Odom is. Kobe literally is the 1st and 2nd scoring option on the team.......Odom gets about 12+ touches a game...on average.

Does he suck in a Laker uni....yeah....but put him on a team where he would get legit 2nd scoring option touches...and he would probably do better. He's a 2nd scoring option that isn't used as a 2nd scoring option.

Pig Nash
02-18-2006, 10:24 AM
But a front court of Howad/Darko/Odom? That's starting to look a little scary.

Outlaw
02-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Francis to LA makes no sense.My guess is a third team is involved possibly Denver and Kmart.

Denver wants Francis and wants to unload Kmart in whom Olando has no interest.JMO

Unclebuck
02-18-2006, 10:47 AM
I have not heard or read one trade rumor involving the Pacers since Ron was traded.

SoupIsGood
02-18-2006, 11:13 AM
I have not heard or read one trade rumor involving the Pacers since Ron was traded.

Which is a great thing for our team, considering how they played when the rumors were flying like crazy

Shade
02-18-2006, 11:41 AM
That would be a nightmare waiting to happen for the Lakers. It further solidifies their frontline as a joke, and the backcourt is a potential powder keg. Yeesh.

purplengoldjonez
02-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Francis to LA makes no sense.My guess is a third team is involved possibly Denver and Kmart.

Denver wants Francis and wants to unload Kmart in whom Olando has no interest.JMO

from indi_dave00 at cl just a few minutes ago..

If the Lakers do the Francis/Odom trade and keep Francis it will be very interesting to watch Kobe and Stevie try to blend.

I'd also not be suprised if that deal occurs , that Austin Croshere ends up a Laker too.

http://clublakers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49894&start=80

Shade
02-18-2006, 02:16 PM
from indi_dave00 at cl just a few minutes ago..

What do the Lakers have that we could possibly want for Croshere? Surely it wouldn't be Odom.

Hmm...JO trade rumors...Odom (who plays the same position and has the same number as JO, and has been known to perform at his best as the #1 option) has been rumored to come here... :chin:

purplengoldjonez
02-18-2006, 02:26 PM
What do the Lakers have that we could possibly want for Croshere? Surely it wouldn't be Odom.

Hmm...JO trade rumors...Odom (who plays the same position and has the same number as JO, and has been known to perform at his best as the #1 option) has been rumored to come here... :chin:

just as curious as you to see what other principles would be involved for Francis/odom deal to include indi and croshere. was hoping to come here and see it already being discussed.

purplengoldjonez
02-18-2006, 02:31 PM
more from indi_dave00 at CL

Francis would not end up in Indy. Croshere is a fav of both Kupchak and Phil , he has missed the last few games due to a 2nd confussion. While he and Jermaine have been gone the Pacers are winning .Pollard-Foster-Harrison and Granger have been taking the minutes at pf/c.

Austin would be traded for George and Slava's contracts. He would provide help on the boards if Odom is moved plus can hit the 3pointer. He has just one more year left on his contract.

The deal allows the Pacers more wiggle room to resign Stojakovic (who basicly is a 6'10 better all around player than Croshere.) It also allows more room to resign Fred Jones .

Croshere would come home to L.A. and come off the bench. George would see limited minutes and Slava would be waived

Shade
02-18-2006, 02:37 PM
just as curious as you to see what other principles would be involved for Francis/odom deal to include indi and croshere. was hoping to come here and see it already being discussed.

All I could figure out would be George, Slava, and Cook to the Pacers, as that would give them three expiring contracts. Then Cro could "replace" Odom. Makes sense, I guess.

EDIT: Didn't see that above when I posted. Yup, this looks very possible. It makes sense for all parties involved.

jcouts
02-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Great trade for Orlando. Puts Odom where he's most comfortable, and effective like he was in Miami.

Not at all what LA needs, or what Phil Jackson traditionally likes in his point guards though. I don't see it happening.

purplengoldjonez
02-18-2006, 02:43 PM
dont think i want stevie in LA, would rather have had ron and croshere for odom.. oh well, just proves that are management is in deed morons..

Trader Joe
02-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Love this deal for us. Git 'r done Donnie. I don't want Cro taking Danny's minute neway.

Unclebuck
02-18-2006, 03:32 PM
I honestly don't see that the Pacers need Croshere right now. Of course we never know who might get injured. But if Pollard and DH can stay healthy I think most of us want those two manning the center position. And then with Granger, Foster and hopefully J.O coming back, how is Cro going to get any minutes.

Kegboy
02-18-2006, 04:06 PM
I've advocated sending Cro to LA for years. I would be blissfully happy if that were to happen. Best for both him and us.

rexnom
02-18-2006, 04:10 PM
I honestly don't see that the Pacers need Croshere right now. Of course we never know who might get injured. But if Pollard and DH can stay healthy I think most of us want those two manning the center position. And then with Granger, Foster and hopefully J.O coming back, how is Cro going to get any minutes.

This is a very important trade. Not only because of minutes distribution but also because of the financial situation. It looks like we finally have great thing going and it would be a crying shame to see it gone this summer if freddie and peja leave, which is possible if we deem it isn't worth the financial punishment.

Gamble
02-18-2006, 05:22 PM
I never really thought freddie would be resigned and if he isn't then
i hope we can get a quality back up for Jackson.

Los Angeles
02-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Well, if I see him out here, I'll buy Cro a beer as thanks for being such a pro for my team.

He'll be right back where he grew up and living the high life.

Plus, after dealing with Artest for years, dealing with Kobe will feel like a vacation.

NorCal_Pacerfan
02-18-2006, 05:59 PM
We haven't really seen JO play post Artest & with Peja. I don't see how we could trade him in good conscience. As for Cro, should be interesting to see what happens when he returns. What about Tins? No one is mentioning him. I'd like to see him packaged on the train outa town before Cro or JO.

Anthem
02-18-2006, 06:00 PM
You guys think there's any chance we could get a protected pick back for Croshere?

grace
02-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Personally I wouldn't trade for Croshere until I know he's actually going to come back from his back to back concussions.

Jermaniac
02-18-2006, 09:57 PM
GET ER DONE DONNIE. We just have too many players right now. George and Slava will be bench warmers they dont even have to play. But their contracts are up at the end of the season. When JO comes back Cro wouldnt get any minutes anyway. So trade him. And like many of you guys said, he would be going back home so he wouldnt mind it either I bet.

When JO and Tinsley come back

Tins-AJ-Saras
Jack-Fred
Peja-Danny
JO-Fiesty
Pollard-Hulk-Fiesty

Looks good to me.

BlueNGold
02-18-2006, 10:16 PM
I think Cro is expendable primarily due to Peja. Peja is younger and obviously much better at filling the 3pt shooter role.....and we need Cro's salary to pay Peja...and Peja fits on the court with JO at PF, JO's true position. Moving Cro also provides more minutes for Granger. We are certainly better off with Peja on the floor making 10M, than Cro on the bench making 10M.

Eric_Pincus
02-18-2006, 11:46 PM
it would be a major reversal for phil to suddenly ok francis . . . i would say there's a chance odom could be moved for an all-star but not francis.

Eric_Pincus
02-18-2006, 11:48 PM
if la did move out odom and had nothing better elsewhere the maybe croshere but i doubt its likely. its not likely odom is moved unless something shocking happens.

CableKC
02-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Eric_Pincus....welcome back! The only time that you ever stop by is when there is some type of Pacer/Laker rumor.....you're like that friend that only visit's whenever there is free pizza :laugh: J/K

brichard
02-19-2006, 12:30 AM
Man, I just don't see us moving Cro' right now. During the last 2 years through all the injuries etc., he has been of the most continual forces. Yes he has had the recent concussions, but I'm sure he'll be fine after having some time to heal. I've had one concussion when I was 5, and 30 years later I still remember it. A total feeling of pain and nausea. Blah.

JO is hurt, Jeff has been pretty fragile the last 2 years, Pollard's back is oft on the fritz, and that leaves David Harrison/Granger the youngsters as your most reliable physical post presence. I'm not saying they are bad, but if you are Donnie Walsh trying to make the playoffs, this could be seen as a risky move.

Peja and Austin are very different players IMO.

If we trade anybody now, I hope it is a PG, b/c clearly we have too many of those.

pizza guy
02-19-2006, 12:38 AM
That actually sounds good to me. Cro has been a real warrior for us, and a true professional; but we're running out of space for a player like him. Re-signing Peja for next year is a huge priority IMO, and it would be nice to re-sign Freddie. If Pollard can keep up this kind of play that we've seen recently, I love the idea of having him and Hulk at the 5 spot. I've always liked Cro, but maybe it's time...

Though, I do agree with one of these previous posts about moving JTins or SJax before Cro, so, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

CableKC
02-19-2006, 01:16 AM
Eric_Pincus,

I was reading on the TWolves RealGM board about some LA Radio station announcing that the Lakers are scheduling some press conference on Tuesday...supposedly to announce that they have traded for KG ( the rumored deal involved KG for Odom+Bynum+filler ).....you've probably seen the posts on ClubLakers from this Raptor poster that brought it up.....but the poster went onto say that they could be mistaken and announcing a Francis trade.

Unless McHale has completely given up.....it just seems odd that the TWolves would trade their franchise player to a Conference rival and only getting back a 2nd scoring option, Bynum and draft picks. I'm not saying its a bad deal with Odom/Bynum/Draft pick....for any other player....like for a Paul Pierce or an Artest deal....but we're talking about KG here....one of the top 3 players in the entire league.

I checked out the RealGM Laker forum and ClubLakers and couldn't find anything regarding any such press conference. You probably have some insight on this.....what's the word on your end?

Eric_Pincus
02-19-2006, 02:18 AM
If there is a press conference Tuesday I will be very happy - but it won't be KG. I have serious doubts that the Lakers will do ANYTHING - but some rumblings that need to be kept quiet are going on.

I will say this - no Odom for Pierce, Francis, Frye, etc.

There was some rumors last week of KMart to LA - which I believe had\have substance - but we'll see if LA is willing to take on that K (with the knees and all).

Eric_Pincus
02-19-2006, 02:19 AM
and where's the pizza?

CableKC
02-19-2006, 02:55 AM
and where's the pizza?

Ask Pizza Guy...he was supposed to bring it.....:rolleyes:

Eindar
02-19-2006, 03:10 AM
I'd be willing to trade JO, Tinsley, and Croshere, but we'd have to get expiring contracts, picks, and young talent. The only way I could see Odom coming here is if we trade JO and get back Odom, picks, expiring contracts, and probably another very good player. Odom and Pierce, for instance, would be fine by me.

Will Galen
02-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Eric_Pincus,

I was reading on the TWolves RealGM board about some LA Radio station announcing that the Lakers are scheduling some press conference on Tuesday...supposedly to announce that they have traded for KG ( the rumored deal involved KG for Odom+Bynum+filler ).....you've probably seen the posts on ClubLakers from this Raptor poster that brought it up.....but the poster went onto say that they could be mistaken and announcing a Francis trade.

Unless McHale has completely given up.....it just seems odd that the TWolves would trade their franchise player to a Conference rival and only getting back a 2nd scoring option, Bynum and draft picks. I'm not saying its a bad deal with Odom/Bynum/Draft pick....for any other player....like for a Paul Pierce or an Artest deal....but we're talking about KG here....one of the top 3 players in the entire league.

I checked out the RealGM Laker forum and ClubLakers and couldn't find anything regarding any such press conference. You probably have some insight on this.....what's the word on your end?

If Minny were going to trade Garnett they would open it up so the whole league would know he's available. Garnett will probably be available this Summer, (if at all) that's why, unless it's a no brainer, the Pacer's are going to wait until this summer to make any more trades. Not many teams could top a JO and Tinsley offer, plus we have other assets as well.

Unclebuck
02-19-2006, 08:53 AM
You don't announce on Saturday that a press conference is scheduled for Tuesday. 3 days later? no way

rexnom
02-19-2006, 09:10 AM
If Minny were going to trade Garnett they would open it up so the whole league would know he's available. Garnett will probably be available this Summer, (if at all) that's why, unless it's a no brainer, the Pacer's are going to wait until this summer to make any more trades. Not many teams could top a JO and Tinsley offer, plus we have other assets as well.

I agree with that...since when are superstars traded at the deadline? I think that if Minnesota wants to trade KG, they'll do it this summer. And that's a pretty big if bc KG, even out of his prime, will be a very effective player. So even if they want to do a whole youth movement thing, KG could still be at the center of that. The same goes with the Pacers and J.O.

Also, you're correct on the notion that if the Pacers want to go and get KG and he is available and we are willing to part with J.O., no team can top our offer.

Kegboy
02-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Personally I wouldn't trade for Croshere until I know he's actually going to come back from his back to back concussions.
Shhh!

CableKC
02-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Can someone pull out the good ol salary cap calculator and project what the salary cap would be for the Pacers at the end of the season with a Cro for George+Slava ( assuming that Slava is waived ) trade?

Also....if things progress the way they do....what would be the size of the contract that the Pacers could likely offer for either Freddie or Peja?

I'm trying to figure out if such a deal would actually make sense and whether the intended goal ( to clear salary cap space to resign either Freddie and/or Peja ) is reachable.

I would think that if it happens....resigning Freddie would be a likely possiblility.......Peja alone is still a small possiblity...but both Freddie and Peja would be a long shot. I would think that we would have to clear far more salary to make both happen.

Hicks
02-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Our salary situation for next year, if Peja doesn't opt out (ha), is $69,654,380.

If Peja does opt out (read: 99% likely), it's $61,429,380. Now take away Cro's salary that won't be there if this trade happened, and we're left at $51,869,380.

CableKC
02-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Our salary situation for next year, if Peja doesn't opt out (ha), is $69,654,380.

If Peja does opt out (read: 99% likely), it's $61,429,380. Now take away Cro's salary that won't be there if this trade happened, and we're left at $51,869,380.

Wouldn't we still be over the projected salary cap?

Hicks
02-19-2006, 04:09 PM
I think so, but I'm not positively sure.

Trader Joe
02-19-2006, 04:15 PM
If we are at 51 million we would be 1 million over the proected salary cap. Lets say we sign Peja for 10 million a year and Fred for 4.5 million a year or so. I think the Simons would OK it if the team keeps up this play and continues to improve. And if we could get KG this offseason to come play in this uptempo offense. We would have to take a long, long look at it.

Ultimate Frisbee
02-20-2006, 02:10 AM

Well.... when you put it that way... This certainly enhances the probability of resigning Peja