PDA

View Full Version : Jasikevicius told french TV

Antonio
02-18-2006, 03:59 AM
Before the Rookie challenge, Jasikevicius said to french TV (to George Eddy) that he doesn't understand why Bird and the Pacers wanted him so much if it's for play him at SG. He said that the Pacers play too slowly for him and that he enjoys run with the ball and make assists but it needed a power-pick to enter to Coach Carlisle that in the head... He added he would have prefered play for the Cavs...:cry:

Lithfan
02-18-2006, 04:18 AM
Having a hard time to believe he said that.

Can you provide a link please?

Antonio
02-18-2006, 04:30 AM
I don't have any link, he told TV but as George Eddy is a nba.com blogger I think he'll probably soon post it...

Kestas
02-18-2006, 05:10 AM
I don't have any link, he told TV but as George Eddy is a nba.com blogger I think he'll probably soon post it...

did you hear it?

come to think of it.. wasn't he joking or simply being not serious? it happened before when his words that he can't play in NBA were taken seriously by some press.. I am talking, of course, about his statement about Cavaliers. his thoughts about SG and Carlisle were discussed long time ago, this is a known fact. i'm simply suprised he thinks Cavaliers would be better. and also his style ("too slowly", blah, blah, blah..).. I'd like to see that interview.

to pacertom: he doesn't give a damn about hs minutes, stop being ridiculous..

Pingu
02-18-2006, 05:15 AM
I was about to post the same thing but Antonio beat me to it.

That's true, Jasikevicius said that he should have signed with Cleveland instead of Indiana. :rolleyes:

Bball
02-18-2006, 05:22 AM
I was about to post the same thing but Antonio beat me to it.

That's true, Jasikevicius said that he should have signed with Cleveland instead of Indiana. :rolleyes:

He's probably right... at least for now...

I still question whether managment and coaching are actually on the same page.
I don't think they are.
OTOH... it's not like the Pacers aren't moving the ball and playing with motion now.

-Bball

Pingu
02-18-2006, 05:40 AM
He may be right but he talks too much.

Hey Saras, we love you, but shut your mouth and play. :pissed:

ssmall
02-18-2006, 07:14 AM
I guess now everyone will agree he talks too much.

Slick Pinkham
02-18-2006, 07:18 AM
He's beginning to strike me as a whiner.

He is getting decent playing time. I also wish it were more, and especially at the end of games. But blabbing to the press is not a good thing, Sarunas Artest.

SwissExpress
02-18-2006, 07:20 AM
Jasikevicius said that? For a French TV?! That would require two unbelievable things to happen: (1) Jasikevicius to go crazy, (2) French journalists to start caring about Jasikevicius. I've spent quite some time in the French part of Switzerland where most French TVs function, and I've rarely heard anything about Tony Parker, let alone Jasikevicius.

I don't want to blame anyone, but I won't believe that till I have some evidence:)

SwissExpress
02-18-2006, 07:31 AM
Which TV was it?

Antonio
02-18-2006, 07:35 AM
Canal +
George Eddy (also nba.com blogger) reported that Sarunas told him that before the beginning of the game.

SwissExpress
02-18-2006, 07:47 AM
If Jasikevicius said that and in those particular words, I'd definitely agree he went too far this time. I don't think he should "STFU and play", because talking made him into who he is to begin with, but he should definitely choose his words better...

D-BONE
02-18-2006, 08:09 AM
Well, hopefully there's some explanation for this comment or, even better, it never happened. That doesn't appear to be the case though. What's next then? He'll demand to be dealt to Cleveland? If true, very questionable at best. Between this and the earlier news about his NBA comments, it's like he's talking out of both sides of his mouth depending on which media's doing the inteviewing. Either that or he needs to be more careful how he answers.

rexnom
02-18-2006, 08:16 AM
Canal +
George Eddy (also nba.com blogger) reported that Sarunas told him that before the beginning of the game.

Wait, he reported that Saras said that...did anyone hear or say Saras say that? Word of mouth is not exactly quality journalism. I mean, it gets us going but it's not right. I think one of two things happened:

1.) George Eddy exaggerated a bit.
2.) Saras said something like this a while ago and Eddy just now got a chance to say something because as of right now we are playing as "European" and "uptempo" as Saras could want. If he isn't playing it's cause Rick doesn't think he is good enough...and he has been in a funk as of late but things are seemingly start to turn around with the last couple of games. How could Saras say something like this after that?

Unclebuck
02-18-2006, 08:21 AM
The only part I really don't like are his comments about he should have signed with the Cavs

ssmall
02-18-2006, 08:28 AM
The only part I really don't like are his comments about he should have signed with the Cavs
Yes , same for me. However that alone makes me dislike him quite a bit. I realise he may feel this way but hes playing with the pacers and saying he should be on another team isnt the right thing to do. That reminds me of a player who left us this year allready.

SwissExpress
02-18-2006, 08:30 AM
The words about Carlisle seem a bit over-offensive too. The style in general in rather challenging. I wouldn't mind much if he only said that he would have been able to help Cleveland more if he signed with them. However, the way it's said, the words and mood itself is slightly rude, even offensive and uncommon to Saras.

However, I think we should wait a bit to find everything out exactly. If it's not exageration, we should have some counter-effect in the few coming days. Not necessarily from the team/management, but main rumour websites like hoopshype.com, prosportsdaily.com, insidehoops.com should at least mention it. Even if Greg Eddy exagerated it, someone should re-report it.

Well, at least those writers from IndyStar who reportedly read this forum:)

EDIT: prosportsdaily.com has nothing thus far in today's news/rumours.

FrenchConnection
02-18-2006, 08:40 AM
The only link that I can find to this effect http://www.nba.com/blog/blog4.html (scroll down a bit) is George Eddy's blog entry from January 3.

ssmall
02-18-2006, 08:50 AM
The only link that I can find to this effect http://www.nba.com/blog/blog4.html (scroll down a bit) is George Eddy's blog entry from January 3. Err couldnt find anything at all in that entry :rolleyes:

indytoad
02-18-2006, 08:59 AM
He's beginning to strike me as a whiner.

He is getting decent playing time. I also wish it were more, and especially at the end of games. But blabbing to the press is not a good thing, Sarunas Artest.

Wouldn't that me SaRONas Artest?

Ho ho ho, I crack me up.

IndyToad
Bwaaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha

SwissExpress
02-18-2006, 09:02 AM
That blog shows that Greg Eddy had a very strong opinion on every single of the above-mentioned issues way before the Rookie Challenge.

It makes you wonder, how the interview (if it really took place before the game) was proceeding... Maybe it was like this:

Greg Eddy: Is it true that you don't understand why Bird and the Pacers wanted you so much if it's for play you at SG, and that the Pacers play too slowly for you and that you enjoy run with the ball and make assists but it needed a power-pick to enter to Coach Carlisle that in the head, and that you would have prefered to play for the Cavs?

Saras (puting on the Rookie uniform): well, there's sense in that..
:)

Harmonica
02-18-2006, 09:22 AM
Before the Rookie challenge, Jasikevicius said to french TV (to George Eddy) that he doesn't understand why Bird and the Pacers wanted him so much if it's for play him at SG. He said that the Pacers play too slowly for him and that he enjoys run with the ball and make assists but it needed a power-pick to enter to Coach Carlisle that in the head... He added he would have prefered play for the Cavs...:cry:

Good for him if he said this. If I were him, there'd be times when I felt duped as well.

rexnom
02-18-2006, 09:39 AM
Good for him if he said this. If I were him, there'd be times when I felt duped as well.

Yeah, but he still shouldn't talk to the press about things like that. Hasn't this season's events taught him anything? Although these comments remind me more of Brad Miller saying he would like to play with us...

Moses
02-18-2006, 09:39 AM
Well, He does have some good points. Why did the pacers want him to bad if they were just going to play him out of position? It's hard enough to adapt to the NBA, but to adapt in the NBA when you are clearly out of position? I'd imagine it's pretty frustrating. As for the Cleveland remark, can you really blame him? He'd be the starter in Clevland easily and putting up better numbers then he is here...But he's being way to impatient about this. He needs to give this team some time. We have a much better chance of making it to the NBA finals then Clevland does.

Antonio
02-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Sarunas talked to Eddy as friend, not as reporter but, I know that he loves Jasikevicius and that he doesn't like Pacers, pretexting that Indiana's defence is too dirty (whereas he loves Spurs' (and Bowen's) defence :rolleyes: ).
So maybe he asked him something like: "you would have preferred to play for Cleveland with your best friend Ilglauskas? Wouldn't you?"...
Rookie Challenge is tonight rebroadcasted, I'll try to exactly report what Eddy said...

Kestas
02-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Sarunas talked to Eddy as friend, not as reporter but, I know that he loves Jasikevicius and that he doesn't like Pacers, pretexting that Indiana's defence is too dirty (whereas he loves Spurs' (and Bowen's) defence :rolleyes: ).
So maybe he asked him something like: "you would have preferred to play for Cleveland with your best friend Ilglauskas? Wouldn't you?"...
Rookie Challenge is tonight rebroadcasted, I'll try to exactly report what Eddy said...

this is a storm in a glass of water imho. Eddy just said what he thinks and what Jasikevicius agrees with (to a certain extent, which looks like enough to Eddy). his blogs on nba.com prove that. besides, now Saras is a PG (mostly) with the second line-up, so that's pretty much how it was supposed to be from the begining. I'm certain Jasikevicius has no problems with not starting or with his minutes. he wants to be used the best way possible - that's all he cares about imho. however, in the most recent game he did play with Johnson a bit I think. but "a bit" is no big deal, it's normal, that sometimes two PGs may be on the court at once if small line-up is required..
if there were to be any escallation of this (especially the Cleveland thingie), I'm sure Jasikevicius would come out with an opposite statements, praising Indiana (once again) and finding simple explanations to this situation.

Hicks
02-18-2006, 10:25 AM
I draw the line at saying you wish you were playing with another team right now, during a season with the current team you're on. That's taking it too far. :thumbsdow

Shade
02-18-2006, 10:43 AM
I draw the line at saying you wish you were playing with another team right now, during a season with the current team you're on. That's taking it too far. :thumbsdow

Runi for Brad? :innocent:

I'm waiting on a quote until I make any comments one way or the other.

SoupIsGood
02-18-2006, 10:49 AM

same here

Outlaw
02-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Until something IS verified I would not take this too seriously.Unless Rick IS starting to lose this team.(just a Bball theory);)

sixthman
02-18-2006, 10:52 AM
I seriously doubt Sarunas said to a reporter he should have signed with the Cavs.

How much shooting guard has he been playing recently? A little in the last game, but otherwise not much. Correct?

Jermaniac
02-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Trade his ***, who gives a damn let him play a running offense with the Hawks. Its not like the guy is some AMAZING PG, he is a okay back up PG we wont lose much. I thought he would be better then AJ when he came here he isnt half of AJ. Dude *****es about everything. They ask Danny to go in and guard Zach Randolph and Jamaal Magliore and he doesnt say ****.

Once Tinsley comes back trade him.

Hicks
02-18-2006, 10:53 AM

Sacrament does need a good backup PG, and they love Pollard out there.

Those two for Brad does work. :eyebrow:

abington
02-18-2006, 11:07 AM
I continue to be amazed at the amount of discussion generated by this guy. He is somewhere around a 7th to 10th player on a good team. Not nearly as good as Travis Best in 2000. And he we are, once again, on the Saras watch hoping and praying that our little hero will be happy in Nap.

Let him leave.

Hicks
02-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Not nearly as good as Travis Best in 2000.

:lmao:

Ok, that is hilarious.

Jermaniac
02-18-2006, 11:10 AM
I would be mad if Peja said this and it would make me kind of sad also that he would say that. But this is a 3rd string PG he is a nobody, its like Eddie Gill said he doesnt like something about the team.

abington
02-18-2006, 11:12 AM

Ok, that is hilarious.

You seriously think Sarunas is better than Travis? Travis who could i dont know, play defense. Or maybe defense isnt important as long as you can occasionally hit a three and yell and scream at refs.

abington
02-18-2006, 11:13 AM
I would be mad if Peja said this and it would make me kind of sad also that he would say that. But this is a 3rd string PG he is a nobody, its like Eddie Gill said he doesnt like something about the team.

Eddie Gill with a tude and non realistic fans.

Chauncey
02-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Travis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sarass

Kegboy
02-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Indiana Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Sarunas Jasikevicius
6-4 SG from Maryland
8.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 3.2 apg in 23.3 minutes
Incoming

Drew Gooden
6-10 PF from Kansas
10.9 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 0.8 apg in 28.0 minutes
Change in team outlook: +2.4 ppg, +6.4 rpg, and -2.4 apg.

Cleveland Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Drew Gooden
6-10 PF from Kansas
10.9 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 0.8 apg in 28.0 minutes
Incoming

Sarunas Jasikevicius
6-4 SG from Maryland
8.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 3.2 apg in 23.3 minutes
Change in team outlook: -2.4 ppg, -6.4 rpg, and +2.4 apg.

Successful Scenario
Due to Indiana and Cleveland being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Indiana and Cleveland had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Pig Nash
02-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Once again, Eddie Gill seeing the light of day: :puke:

Tinsley is never going to be healthy. We cannot count on him. So we need to keep Saras.

Kegboy
02-18-2006, 11:37 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/travis_best.jpg
'99-00

20.6 MPG
8.9 PPG
3.3 APG
1.7 RPG
.93 SPG
1.3 TPG
.483 FG%
.376 3P%
.821 FT%

http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/sarunas_jasikevicius.jpg
'05-06

23.3 MPG
8.5 PPG
3.2 APG
2.4 RPG
.73 SPG
1.6 TPG
.417 FG%
.386 3P%
.883 FT%

Jermaniac
02-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Once again, Eddie Gill seeing the light of day: :puke:

Tinsley is never going to be healthy. We cannot count on him. So we need to keep Saras.Yeah and keep letting him **** on our team any time he gets on his period. I'm suprised one of our guys hasnt whopped his *** yet.

kellogg
02-18-2006, 11:47 AM
After what Sarunas saw happen when Artest shot his mouth off, I can't imagine that he (being 29, intelligent, Euro champ, blah blah blah) would be so colossally stupid as to mouth off to the press...and the French press at that.

I want to see that repeated by him...until then, it's hearsay.

Either way, with the style they're now playing (and he isn't even playing the 2 now), this is either total nonsense or very old news.

Can't say I disagree with him about the coaching though with regards to the style of the offense...who wouldn't get bored out of their minds pounding the ball upcourt, playing out of position, having the coach tell you what play to run like a robot, then 75% of the time the play calls for you to force feed JO and stand around while he gets double/triple teamed and eventually force a shot.

blow
02-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Oh come on, guys. I don't believe a single bit of a pseudo-scandalous interview because it seems false. It seemed false from the very beginning. Find me an audio of what Saras said, a video or whatever, now that would be reliable source. What we have now is a total amount of nothing.

However, if Saras did say something to this Frenchman, he really needs to think about his future role in this team.

But I still don't believe it. If his words about liking Cleveland more are true, it's quite logical Saras is gonna try to report an answer somehow. Journalists in Indianapolis should react really quick.

And guys, how come one day Saras is really great, etc., another day he's a cowcrap worse than Eddie Gill? I just can't understand it. Remember, evaluation comes at the very end of the season.

Jermaniac
02-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Oh come on, guys. I don't believe a single bit of a pseudo-scandalous interview because it seems false. It seemed false from the very beginning. Find me an audio of what Saras said, a video or whatever, now that would be reliable source. What we have now is a total amount of nothing.

However, if Saras did say something to this Frenchman, he really needs to think about his future role in this team.

But I still don't believe it. If his words about liking Cleveland more are true, it's quite logical Saras is gonna try to report an answer somehow. Journalists in Indianapolis should react really quick.

And guys, how come one day Saras is really great, etc., another day he's a cowcrap worse than Eddie Gill? I just can't understand it. Remember, evaluation comes at the very end of the season.
Because he cant keep his mouth shut

Arcadian
02-18-2006, 11:55 AM
First of all I don't really believe that he said those things.

Second of all I can't believe people think any of those things are OK to say. A player complaining about how he is played and how the team plays is exactly what "putting yourself before the team" means. Even if you feel it is true I would hope that a player sucks it up and does as he is asked. I had no idea that being a leader meant whining to the media. I thought it was being a man and talking to the person with whom you have a problem.

Again I have a hard time believing he said those things but if he did I hope we trade him to a team where he starts. 1) That means it would be a bad team. 2) He'd have a another team to blame other than the Pacers for his merely being a servicable NBA player.

rabid
02-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Sounds like BS to me.

kellogg
02-18-2006, 12:10 PM
I continue to be amazed at the amount of discussion generated by this guy. He is somewhere around a 7th to 10th player on a good team. Not nearly as good as Travis Best in 2000. And he we are, once again, on the Saras watch hoping and praying that our little hero will be happy in Nap.

Let him leave.

WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING DUDE !!!

You CAN'T be talking about the same Travis who would mercilessly pound the ball outside the left of the arc for 18 seconds or more, then suddenly like he had an epiphany (or maybe a simpler answer was he just then looked up at the shot clock), would drive left (he never went right) and try to chuck up a shot off the glass...which would work OK unless Shaq (or anyone taller than 5'11") was in the way.

The same Travis that is currently laboring away anonymously on some middle eastern basketball club that plays in the netherworld...and doesn't even play in the same Euro league where Sarunas was a 3 time champion.

I don't know how Sarunas' NBA career will eventually pan out...but pleeeease don't compare him to Travis Best.

If he were coaching, Travis' incessant squandering of time on the shot clock would have given Ghandi an ulcer.

blow
02-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Because he cant keep his mouth shut

Or maybe he can, it's only the reporters "reporting" things he never says, at least exaggerating them.

Jermaniac
02-18-2006, 12:25 PM
So the reporters are lieing about what he says? Funny, the REPORTERS are trying to make a back up PG look bad. Yep thats it, what is this the 34th time a reporter did this?

Los Angeles
02-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Still waiting for an accurate translation. Though from the looks of it, it can't be good.

The guy is the backup to our backup and talks to the foreign press like he's Michael Jordan. This is not going in the right direction.

EDIT: After Pingu's reply below, I am now fairly convinced that Jasikevicius did indeed say these things to a member of the press. It does not matter if he thought that he was "off the record". It does not matter that I even agree with him about going to cleveland. It does not matter that I think he is right about Carlisle. It is still completely stupid and unforgivable that he said this to a member of the press, especially after Ron's trade request.

grace
02-18-2006, 01:00 PM
The guy is the backup to our backup and talks to the foreign press like he's Michael Jordan.

There are people who do think he's Michael Jordan. That might be why I'm less than a fan of his.

Anyway, when Kegboy told me about this my first thought was: [disclaimer: Chances are what I'm about to say will offend some people and/or make them mad. I apologize ahead of time.]

1. Who listens to what the French say anyway? I'm mean France doesn't like us.

2. He should have signed with Cleveland. What the hell was he thinking? He's friends with their center (I'm too lazy to try and figure out how to spell his name). He was best man at his wedding for Christ's sake. Then there's the LeBron factor. That right there would have been enough to make me sign with them. But most of all Mike Brown is the coach.

Now, as for whether he said it or not I don't know. I'd like to think he's not that stupid, but he did sign with the Pacers when he should have gone to Cleveland (or better yet, stayed in Europe :duck: ).

I will say one thing about Larry Bird. He's a good salesman. He convinced Reggie not to retire after his house burned down. He made sure JO was signed before he stabbed him in the back and fired Isiah. And now he convinced Cabbage to come here to play out of position.

Shade
02-18-2006, 01:08 PM
I will say one thing about Larry Bird. He's a good salesman. He convinced Reggie not to retire after his house burned down. He made sure JO was signed before he stabbed him in the back and fired Isiah. And now he convinced Cabbage to come here to play out of position.

I may be mistaken, but IIRC, LB was not on the payroll yet when JO was re-signed.

Diamond Dave
02-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Still waiting on a quote, or link to an article.

In the meantime... :whistle:

Roaming Gnome
02-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Personally, I can see where he was sold on something that never happened here. The guy likes to get up and down with the transition game. To me, Saras was successful having the ball in his hands while at point, but what does the coaching staff have him do??? Give it to Freddie so we can watch him pound it mercilously as he incessantly tries to beat his man off the dribble.

Really, I can understand "IF" the guy was upset...He isn't used in the capacity that made him successful across the pond, and I'm not talking about his role as 2-guard, but how much Carlisle doesn't want the ball in his hands, unless he's shooting it. It is easy to say that the guy sucks when he is in a system that isn't complementary to his game.

Honestly, would someone like Steve Nash thrive in our offense if the coaching staff took the ball out of his hands as soon as he got across the time line? I don't think he would be nearly as effective....He may even look average at best running that kind of offense. No way am I comparing Saras to Nash, but I could almost see a situation where Saras could thrive in a different situation where he is used like he was in Europe.

As far as his mouth goes...I don't really believe this french TV stuff, but it wouldn't shock me if it were true. If it is true, I really don't care...I would just chalk it up as the guy is frustrated with his role, or how the team utilizes him, it wouldn't be the first time and I'm not even thinking about Artest.

Personally, I don't like how much he has to say because most of it has a negative slant to it, but I'm sure if his teammates didn't like how freely he speaks to the media...they would have muzzled him by now.

Kegboy
02-18-2006, 01:21 PM
I may be mistaken, but IIRC, LB was not on the payroll yet when JO was re-signed.

Yes, he was hired a week before.

Bball
02-18-2006, 01:22 PM
If this is true... and we also have to deal with a translation factor I guess... I think it speaks more to whether Carlisle and Bird (and Walsh) are on the same page than anything.

I don't like hearing him say he should've signed with the Cavs but then let's be honest... that could be a better situation for him. If the Pacers would be the team that Bird keeps talking about... a team that plays more of a Euro style and with sharing of the ball... a team that allows players to make some mistakes... then the Pacers sound like a great team for him (if they'd ever thin out the MESS they have at PG -if- Tinsley is able to return) but SO FAR they only play that way when JO is on the bench.

That elephant will be in the living room until JO is able to come back.

I'm not seeing anything to make me think Saras has any problems with any teammates so maybe his honesty extends to them and they respect or understand it? It wouldn't surprise me if Tinsley had a problem with him but then it never surprises me to see Tinsley po'ed and pouting about something.

This all does mean I will be watching Sarunas and his teammates' interactions closer from now on.

-Bball

Los Angeles
02-18-2006, 01:23 PM
There are people who do think he's Michael Jordan. That
2. He should have signed with Cleveland. What the hell was he thinking? He's friends with their center (I'm too lazy to try and figure out how to spell his name). He was best man at his wedding for Christ's sake. Then there's the LeBron factor. That right there would have been enough to make me sign with them. But most of all Mike Brown is the coach.

Now, as for whether he said it or not I don't know. I'd like to think he's not that stupid, but he did sign with the Pacers when he should have gone to Cleveland (or better yet, stayed in Europe :duck: ).

I agree with the Cleveland bit. but this is less about Jasikevicius and more about Artest. Add Sarunas to the long list of people who gambled on Artest and lost big time.

D-BONE
02-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Whoa, Nelly! This one's bringing out some tension, bias, and agendas. Hot damn! I find the alleged comments a bit disturbing, but they remain alleged at this juncture. A couple things that occur to me viewing the thread: 1) So JO has never had some run in with the press resulting in his saying something inappropriate or otherwise interpreted by many to be not so well thought out? and 2) I was never 100% sold on the ubiquitous critiscims of Travis Best's ball-pounding tactics. I remember this often coincided with the four other players standing around not really availing themselves of the ball or moving to well. Whatever the case, Travis was an integral player in our 2000 playoff run. On the other hand, Saras has a skill set that should, if he reaches his potential, make him a better all-around player. The relative importance of either player to our team's success during their respective tenures can only be determined sometime down the road.

MagicRat
02-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Hopefully he's not scheduled to be an in-studio guest on 59 Overtime Sunday night........:shudder:

Bball
02-18-2006, 01:27 PM
BTW.. there's a reason Travis Best couldn't stick ANYWHERE after being jettisoned from the Pacers.

We overrated him (imagine that) but nobody else did (imagine that, too).

-Bball

Roaming Gnome
02-18-2006, 01:30 PM
BTW.. there's a reason Travis Best couldn't stick ANYWHERE after being jettisoned from the Pacers.

We overrated him (imagine that) but nobody else did (imagine that, too).

-Bball

Hell, Dribbles couldn't even start in Chicago or Miami at the time...and neither one of those two teams at the time had a legit point guard! Dribbles had a lot of people that made him look good!

Pingu
02-18-2006, 01:39 PM
1. Who listens to what the French say anyway? I'm mean France doesn't like us.

Yeah, George Eddy sounds like a typical french name :rolleyes:

What I can say is that Eddy knows Saras very well and love him as a player. He's been covering the NBA, Euroleague, Olympics, etc. for more thant 20 years and he has always been a reliable source of information.

I just don't see any reason why Eddy would lie about what Saras said?

The fact is that Jasikevicius said what he said during a private conversation with Eddy. Thus you don't have quotes in a newspaper, or a video tape where it is recorded, but please give me any reason to believe that a french reporter invented a fake story about Pacers' back-up PG :confused:

D-BONE
02-18-2006, 01:40 PM
I won't debate Travis Best as an individual talent. Obviously, the experiment to convert him into our starting PG, for instance, was an utter disaster. On other hand, take him off the '98 and 2000 teams and they don't go as far in the post-season as they did, however. Of course, that can be said about numerous others on those teams. At points in his career, TB was an essential contributor as a role player. I guess I'm not looking at the comparison between his and Saras's Pacer careers in terms of who's the better individual talent, but rather what roles they play in the success of the team. Obviously. Saras is yet to be determined in that area.

Los Angeles
02-18-2006, 01:43 PM
I also have to say that this is another problem with combining Carlisle and a deep bench. For some reason, Rick believes that all of his players should be able to play at least 2 and preferably 3 positions. That's just an outright stupid coaching philosophy.

Nobody asked Jordan to be a forward (at least not on the Bulls :) )

Why ask a pure PG (Runi) to be a SG? Why ask a PF (Foster and Cro) to play center? Why ask your best SG (Jackson) to play SF? Why ask a pure SF (Granger) to play PF? Did I see Fred Jones play Point Guard AND Small forward last year? It's like he's playing euchre with no concept of what trump is. Very frustrating.

How does this get solved? I think the ranks need to be thinned in order to force Rick to play the hand he's been dealt. A king of hearts is a king of hearts. We need to stop trying to make it a lesser card.

D-BONE
02-18-2006, 01:48 PM
I also have to say that this is another problem with combining Carlisle and a deep bench. For some reason, Rick believes that all of his players should be able to play at least 2 and preferably 3 positions. That's just an outright stupid coaching philosophy.

Why ask a pure PG (Runi) to be a SG? Why ask a PF (Foster and Cro) to play center? Why ask your best SG (Jackson) to play SF? Why ask a pure SF (Granger) to play PF? Did I see Fred Jones play Point Guard AND Small forward last year? It's like he's playing euchre with no concept of what trump is. Very frustrating.

How does this get solved? I think the ranks need to be thinned in order to force Rick to play the hand he's been dealt. An King of hearts is an King of hearts. We need to stop trying to make it a lesser card.

I completely agree. Although I would say that RC has been forced into a lot of mix and match due to injuries, susp...Well, you know the drill. So now that things are beginning to stabilize to a degree, I would also like to see the rotations reflect players' natural positions.

McKeyFan
02-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Too quick to judge Carlisle there. If he continues to play people out of position when everyone is healthy and not suspended, then you have a point.

ssmall
02-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Somehow i believe he said that. Im not yet sure he thought it will go into the media ( well actually i still have some doubts ) but then he got screwed by his "friend". In any case i think he crossed the line here. So heres one for you Runi :finger:.

Los Angeles
02-18-2006, 02:02 PM
I completely agree. Although I would say that RC has been forced into a lot of mix and match due to injuries, susp...Well, you know the drill. So now that things are beginning to stabilize to a degree, I would also like to see the rotations reflect players' natural positions.
I'll have to go back and check (if I actually get around to it). I'm almost certain that he's had a full roster with someone from every postition (at their "natural" position) available regardless of injuries, etc. The right stuff crew after the brawl may be the notable exception. Often in Rick's mind, it's OK to bump a real [insert position here] to insert a "more talented" or "more experienced" [insert position here].

That's starting to really get to me.

Lithfan
02-18-2006, 02:03 PM
STOP!!!

10 HOURS PAST FROM THE ANTONIO POST AND NO PROOF WAS SHOWN!!!

IT CANT BE TRUE :banghead:

Bball
02-18-2006, 02:05 PM

I believe that is a Walsh philosophy... altho maybe he dumped it with Isiah. Dunno...
It certainly was a Walsh philosophy but I don't know his current thoughts on it.

How does this get solved? I think the ranks need to be thinned in order to force Rick to play the hand he's been dealt. A king of hearts is a king of hearts. We need to stop trying to make it a lesser card.

I agree with the premise of your post. I very much believe the 'jack of all trades' philosophy more times than not is a "jack of all trades, master of none" philosophy in reality.

Now, whether Carlisle plays players out of position in order to divy up minutes to more players, does it to get certain other 'preferred' (or egoed) players more minutes, does it to please management, or doesn't really do it at all is another question.

But I wouldn't be surprised to learn management (Walsh anyway) has no problem playing players out of what we'd call their natural position.

-Bball

Los Angeles
02-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Too quick to judge Carlisle there. If he continues to play people out of position when everyone is healthy and not suspended, then you have a point.
Fair enough.

I think this goes right up there for dreaming about flying cars. :)

Mr.ThunderMakeR
02-18-2006, 02:17 PM

You guys (the people demanding Saras be traded) are retarded. The above post from Antonio is the only evidence we have that Saras said anything. No offense intended to Antonio, but some random member off an internet message board isn't exactly the most reliable source for news. The only other thing that might be considered is George Eddy's blog:

http://www.nba.com/blog/blog4.html

Did you people even read that?!?!?! There isnt a single damn quote in there from Saras, the WHOLE thing is just the writers opinion. Seriously, I got a great bridge Im selling, any of you guys wanna buy it?

As for Saras, I could understand if he was regretting his decision to come here. He really hasn't been given much of a chance to prove himself. On the other hand, I dont think he should be struggling that much because he was 'being played out of postion'. He was playing the friggin 2 guard spot, its not like he was playing center. I understand he likes to have the ball in his hand to be a playmaker, but he can still make plays at the offguard postion. I mean its not like he has to immediately jack up the shot just because Rick doesn't have him bringing the ball up court.

This may seem like an attack at Saras, but Im still a supporter of his. I think it seems like everyone else on the team has been given a chance to prove themselves except for Saras (and Gill but he doesnt count) and that isn't fair to him. I mean with Tinsley out for an extended amount of time, Rick could at least give him a few starts with significant minutes.

Still, I cant believe you guys are all up in arms over this single un-backed claim by one poster that he is unhappy here.

SwissExpress
02-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Sometimes it's hard to be a fan of Saras and Carlisle at the same time.
In such moment I really start thinking it would be better he was in Cleveland. Better for him, and I don't have any emotions as regards Mike Brown or LeBron myself...:)

Los Angeles
02-18-2006, 03:42 PM
You guys (the people demanding Saras be traded) are retarded. The above post from Antonio is the only evidence we have that Saras said anything. No offense intended to Antonio, but some random member off an internet message board isn't exactly the most reliable source for news. The only other thing that might be considered is George Eddy's blog:

http://www.nba.com/blog/blog4.html

I went to the link and this is all it said:

"At 29 he hit the "rookie wall." He's at his best as a true point guard in an up-tempo offense -- he would be a perfect back-up to Nash in Phoenix -- taking game-deciding shots when everyone else is afraid to shoot. He might even have been better off in Cleveland's style feeding Lebron and company, but Sarunas is above all a winner and the presence of a legendary winner as his boss, Larry Bird, and a stronger overall team explains his choice of Indiana."

I call BULL**** on "Antonio" !!! :mad:

:bs2:

Antonio hears these ideas, knows that Eddy is the one who says it, then ASSUMES that Eddy is quoting Saras, when he's actually just talking about his own opinion.

We better see a publication, Antonio. OR an explanation better than what you've given us so far.

EDIT: After Pingu's reply below, I am now fairly convinced that Jasikevicius did indeed say these things to a member of the press. It does not matter if he thought that he was "off the record". It does not matter that I even agree with him about going to cleveland. It does not matter that I think he is right about Carlisle. It is still completely stupid and unforgivable that he said this to a member of the press, especially after Ron's trade request.

I apologize for my post.

Pingu
02-18-2006, 03:45 PM
Still, I cant believe you guys are all up in arms over this single un-backed claim by one poster that he is unhappy here.

It's not a single un-backed claim by one poster, I heard it and woud have posted it too.
If you don't want to believe it that's your problem.

Once again, can you tell me why anybody would create such a fake story?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antonio hears these ideas, knows that Eddy is the one who says it, then ASSUMES that Eddy is quoting Saras, when he's actually just talking about his own opinion.
We better see a publication, Antonio. OR an explanation better than what you've given us so far.

Eddy reported the story yesterday, during the Rookie game.
The blog entry is from feb, 6.

I can send you the VHS tape of the game if you please, but stop questioning the intellectual honesty of your fellow PD members.

Mourning
02-18-2006, 03:51 PM

I 100% aggree and I STILL think, like I have been saying for quite sometime now, we should trade away some of our depth away for some quality. Maybe 2 or 3 players to a lowly ranked team with no depth for a player with a deal that expires at the end of next season or something and is quite good.

We haven't got enough minutes for everyone on this team IMO and we don't have enough quality, again IMO, to let most of our backups play 30 minutes. 25 minutes at most, with the exception of Freddie, Sarunas and Danny.

I would want us to trade for a player like Magloire. Better then what we have at center now, but not THAT much better that we are talking about a superstar or something and we could deal two guys away for him, creating more minutes for other players aswell.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Los Angeles
02-18-2006, 04:04 PM
I 100% aggree and I STILL think, like I have been saying for quite sometime now, we should trade away some of our depth away for some quality. Maybe 2 or 3 players to a lowly ranked team with no depth for a player with a deal that expires at the end of next season or something and is quite good.

We haven't got enough minutes for everyone on this team IMO and we don't have enough quality, again IMO, to let most of our backups play 30 minutes. 25 minutes at most, with the exception of Freddie, Sarunas and Danny.

I would want us to trade for a player like Magloire. Better then what we have at center now, but not THAT much better that we are talking about a superstar or something and we could deal two guys away for him, creating more minutes for other players aswell.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:
I had a big fight with btown last year about how the Pacers never are in the hunt to trade lots of young guys for one star. One of his positions was that it rarely ever happens anyway. Then the Carter trade went down. Bunch of young guys go one way, superstar goes the other.

Now think about this summer: the big "2-for-1 or 3-for-1" quote from bird. I was exstatic! Then it didn't happen. :( but I'm still holding out hope.

Bball
02-18-2006, 04:19 PM
I had a big fight with btown last year about how the Pacers never are in the hunt to trade lots of young guys for one star. One of his positions was that it rarely ever happens anyway. Then the Carter trade went down. Bunch of young guys go one way, superstar goes the other.

Now think about this summer: the big "2-for-1 or 3-for-1" quote from bird. I was exstatic! Then it didn't happen. :( but I'm still holding out hope.

As long as Donnie Walsh is at the helm and the final judgement comes down to him, I wouldn't expect to see any trades of that nature. I have no idea whether Bird could or would get his (DW's) ear and really lobby for that type of move. While there are signs Bird has some input, there are more signs that DW is still the rudder guiding the ship. Where Bird would take things if left to his own is one big giant mystery.

For it to happen you'd need a GM that is rarely satisfied with his team's performance and position... and you'd need a GM that works the phones and keeps his ears and eyes open for those type possibilities. IMHO, neither is Donnie Walsh. As long as the team has a realistic shot at the playoffs he will move s l o w and not rock the boat.

But, I'll admit, Bird is the wildcard in all this speculation. In year's past it was easy to guess what the Pacers would do. If Bird really, really, really wanted to make a move of this type would Donnie listen... and more importantly... would he "OK" it against his own judgement?

This team is again looking like a playoff team and it trending up. That is not a team Donnie Walsh would mess with. It's good enough.

-Bball

Los Angeles
02-18-2006, 04:33 PM
As long as Donnie Walsh is at the helm and the final judgement comes down to him, I wouldn't expect to see any trades of that nature. I have no idea whether Bird could or would get his (DW's) ear and really lobby for that type of move. While there are signs Bird has some input, there are more signs that DW is still the rudder guiding the ship. Where Bird would take things if left to his own is one big giant mystery.

For it to happen you'd need a GM that is rarely satisfied with his team's performance and position... and you'd need a GM that works the phones and keeps his ears and eyes open for those type possibilities. IMHO, neither is Donnie Walsh. As long as the team has a realistic shot at the playoffs he will move s l o w and not rock the boat.

But, I'll admit, Bird is the wildcard in all this speculation. In year's past it was easy to guess what the Pacers would do. If Bird really, really, really wanted to make a move of this type would Donnie listen... and more importantly... would he "OK" it against his own judgement?

This team is again looking like a playoff team and it trending up. That is not a team Donnie Walsh would mess with. It's good enough.

-Bball
This is the team that is playing well:

Johnson / Saras / Gill
Jackson / Freddie
Peja / Granger
Foster / Granger
Pollard / Harrison

How do you mess up the mojo? Like this:

Tinsley /Johnson / Saras / Gill
Jackson / Freddie
Peja / Granger
JO / Foster / Croshere
Pollard / Harrison

I believe that it is possible to clear up some of the log jams AND improve your squad WITHOUT messing up the good play.

Bball
02-18-2006, 04:38 PM

Johnson / Saras / Gill
Jackson / Freddie
Peja / Granger
Foster / Granger
Pollard / Harrison

Jackson / Freddie
Peja / Granger
JO / Foster / Croshere
Pollard / Harrison

I believe that it is possible to clear up some of the log jams AND improve your squad WITHOUT messing up the good play.

You'll get no argument from me. I totally agree. You'll only get some doubt from me that something will happen... in the olden days I guarantee nothing would happen. The "Bird" factor is a wildcard that I just don't have a handle on tho.

-Bball

Pig Nash
02-18-2006, 04:45 PM

Johnson / Saras / Gill
Jackson / Freddie
Peja / Granger
Foster / Granger
Pollard / Harrison

Jackson / Freddie
Peja / Granger
JO / Foster / Croshere
Pollard / Harrison

Right so just keep

Johnson/Saras
Jackson/Freddie
Peja/Granger
JO/Foster
Pollard/Harrison

Los Angeles
02-18-2006, 04:58 PM
You'll get no argument from me. I totally agree. You'll only get some doubt from me that something will happen... in the olden days I guarantee nothing would happen. The "Bird" factor is a wildcard that I just don't have a handle on tho.

-Bball
Which brings us full circle: WITHOUT Larry, would we have landed Saras in the first place? And more importantly, since we experienced nothing but problems with our point guards since Saras came here, is Larry hurting matters or helping? Will Donnie listen to him after this?

Saras was an insurance policy that paid off, to be sure, so score one for Larry in that regard. But without Tins' injury was Larry helping the team or hurting the team by bringing in a fourth PG?

Los Angeles
02-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Right so just keep

Johnson/Saras
Jackson/Freddie
Peja/Granger
JO/Foster
Pollard/Harrison

Gill Hater! :tongue:

Shade
02-18-2006, 05:25 PM
*looks around to see if quote has been posted yet*

*leaves*

indytoad
02-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Normally I would be all for trading quantity for quality, but on a team like ours where ALL your best players are injured ALL the time, when (not if) they go down once more, you're screwed because you have no bench.

IndyToad

Bball
02-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Which brings us full circle: WITHOUT Larry, would we have landed Saras in the first place? And more importantly, since we experienced nothing but problems with our point guards since Saras came here, is Larry hurting matters or helping? Will Donnie listen to him after this?

Saras was an insurance policy that paid off, to be sure, so score one for Larry in that regard. But without Tins' injury was Larry helping the team or hurting the team by bringing in a fourth PG?

Random speculation ahead...
In my thinking (that scant few agree with apparently)- Larry wanted Saras and got Walsh and the Simons onboard. Whether Carlisle was onboard or not I'm questionable on. BUT Walsh, being loyal to a fault and conservative to the core (read slow to react and never proactive), wouldn't go the full distance and move either Tinsley or AJ (depending upon whichever one you think was the odd man out in the initial discussion about why we needed Sarunas and whatever sales pitch that was used to get TPTB all onboard to the plan in the first place).

I'm not saying Walsh refused to trade anybody... I'm saying he dragged his feet and didn't exactly burn up the phone lines or take whatever happened to be the best deal on the table... always hoping for more/better. Waiting. Showing patience. And then the Artest situation exploded. And Tinsley got injured too (as anyone following his career had to figure was coming). At that point, our focus changed and so did the trade value, and value of our own players, to our own team.

Carlisle has IMHO exactly one PG he likes and wants to play (AJ) and so when Tinsley comes back I have no idea what to expect. My personal opinion is we have our team already playing and Tinsley should be forced to sit and earn his turn if one of our PG's gets injured or proves ineffective in a losing streak. Until then, he sits. But that is how I'd do it... I don't know how Carlisle would handle the situation. My guess is, I won't like how Carlisle handles the situation but I guess we'll have to see when and if Tinsley is able to return. I fear a chemisty-killer situation on the road ahead.

In any case, I am very much enjoying things on the court right now just as they are. :D :sunshine: :cool: :woot: :woohoo: :rockon:

I don't think Saras was brought here as an insurance policy per se'. I think there was more to the story...

-Bball

grace
02-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Sometimes it's hard to be a fan of Saras and Carlisle at the same time.

I find it rather easy not to be very enamored with either one of them.

DeS
02-18-2006, 06:32 PM
O no! I just wish, I could ignore the "Jasikevicius told" threads.

SwissExpress
02-18-2006, 07:22 PM
O no! I just wish, I could ignore the "Jasikevicius told" threads.

That's how folklor is created.

I could easily believe that one day there won't be Jasikevicius, Carlisle, Bird nor any other parts of today's Pacers in Indiana, but there will be stories floating around beginning with "Jasikevicius told..."

Fireball Kid
02-18-2006, 09:28 PM
I just dont believe Saras said that. If he did, than I think he is very wrong for saying he should of signed with this team while he is playing with the Pacers.

With that said, he should have signed with the Cavs because there up-tempo style fits his play and from the looks of things to come in the future, Rick will move Saras back to 3rd string when Tinsley returns. I dont know if Saras would of won any rings with the Cavs, but he defineitly would excel better with them.

Now back to the situation at hand. Do I believe this story is true? No, because Saras has been getting nothing but point guard minutes since Peja got here. So for him to say something ,that sounds like bull**** at a time like this, makes me confused.

This story is bogus to me. Prove me wrong otherwise.

02-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Whats up guys? He is correct in everything he said. No hard feelings, basketball is basketball...

Anthem
02-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Whats up guys? He is correct in everything he said. No hard feelings, basketball is basketball...
What's up is that our newest PG can't keep from running his mouth.

That was one of my biggest complaints about Ron.

Hicks
02-19-2006, 12:40 AM
I'm still amazed ANYONE wants to rate Travis "The next Ivan" Best ahead of Sarunas. Amazing.

Once again I see people who don't like him because OTHER PEOPLE treat him like MJ. WHO. FREAKING. CARES? If they honestly feel that way, why do you give him two seconds of thought, let alone treat them seriously enough to let that influence YOUR OPINION of the man. It's ridiculous.

Jermaniac
02-19-2006, 12:43 AM
Whats up guys? He is correct in everything he said. No hard feelings, basketball is basketball...Does Danny Granger ***** about playing PF and guarding guys 50 lbs heavier then him?

Arcadian
02-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Travis Best has done more in his NBA career to date than Saras. Just by that alone it is hard for me to rate Saras' NBA career ahead of Best's.

Best played the role asked for him and fit the team. I thought he was a great back up to Mark Jackson. Maybe looking back we will say Saras was better but I'd have to see him play a role on a successful team to say that. After all it isn't about talent; it is about pieces fitting together. Right?

Hicks
02-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Does Danny Granger ***** about playing PF and guarding guys 50 lbs heavier then him?

The difference is Danny has the ability to do it. It's not his best position, but he can easily play PF too. Sarunas is a PG first, second, and probably third before he's a two. It's like having a natural 2 play the 1, when he has not business being there. I'd use Fred as the example, but Rick ACTUALLY DOES THAT (and at Sarunas' expense no less :sigh: ), so I'll need to think of someone else. I guess I'll say that it's (kind of) like saying "Bender's 7 feet tall, so he should be a great center! He's so skilled, too!" like the thought now being "Sarunas has a great shot, so he'll make a great 2-guard!". That's not the best analogy, but I think it'll work. Being able to shoot doesn't mean you're best at the 2-spot. Sarunas certainly isn't.

Hicks
02-19-2006, 12:58 AM
Travis Best has done more in his NBA career to date than Saras. Just by that alone it is hard for me to rate Saras' NBA career ahead of Best's.

Sarunas' career extends to maybe 50 games? Gee, I wonder why Best's looks better when you stack them up. :laugh: I liked Travis Best. I thought better of him than most here ever did. But let's get real here. He was a 5'10" SG trying to play PG, and he dribbled way too damn much, and was never that good of a passer. In a way, Travis is to PGs, what Sarunas is to SGs, looks right on paper (to some people), but they're playing the wrong position. In Travis' case, it was due to him being just too small to play SG. Sarunas is being bumped there because of his coach.

Best played the role asked for him and fit the team. I thought he was a great back up to Mark Jackson. Maybe looking back we will say Saras was better but I'd have to see him play a role on a successful team to say that. After all it isn't about talent; it is about pieces fitting together. Right?

Hey, I agree Travis fit in well here (warts and all). Like I said, I liked him more than most here did. But I think most here would agree that Sarunas would be starting in Cleveland right now (or any worse team than that), whereas Travis couldn't even stay in the league.

02-19-2006, 01:03 AM
But honestly, i think he said that with a joke to whoever interviewed him. Can someone give a link or something?

Arcadian
02-19-2006, 01:08 AM
I don't want Saras to be traded. But one thing I would love to see if he were is would he actually start somewhere else. I mean we have been worse than Cleveland at points and he hasn't started here.

Only time will tell if Rick is to blame for Saras' play or if it is really Saras' play. I don't mean this as a dig. Saras hasn't been a disappointment to me and as long as he wears a Pacer uni and doesn't ask for time off to promote a CD I will like him.

Peck
02-19-2006, 01:17 AM
I'm going to try & give an even fairhanded remark about this entire situation.

I would really really really like to see this in print somewhere or hear it or see it or something. Not that I'm saying the original poster is lying, I'm just saying before I would be willing to make any bold statement I would want some facts & also some context.

I am going to give Saras as much of the benefit of the doubt on things as I can. I have been very hard on him in the past for things he's said & I still hold to my beliefs that he talks to much & complains more than what I think he should. But I want to temper that against a simple fact. The man came to one of the, if not the, most disfunctional teams that we have ever had & maybe any upper tier team has ever had.

So, in retrospect, the guy has seen a lot of selfishness & poor team play.

I will take that into consideration reading what he say's the the foreign press. Also I have to remember that when he is speaking to them he is not speaking for my benefit or any other Americans benefit, he is playing to a differant audiance.

I would hope that if an American became big in another country they would not feel the need to downplay the local basketball or the city they are in for that matter if they were ever intervied by an American journalist. But for all I know they may do that now.

So again, I have to learn to balance that out with what he is saying.

However I will say this.

If what he said was true about regretting signing here & complaining about Rick Carlisle then I will say this.

If your a Pacers fan, not just a Saras fan, then you better either have had no problem with Ron saying the same things (virtually) or you better be p!ssed as h#ll at Saras.

Because the only differance, well other than the thousands of other things the guy did, between what Ron said & what Saras is saying is that Ron demanded a trade which he eventually backed off of.

I know I know there is a heck of a differance because of all of the other stuff, but I can't see how anyone could support this.

For those of you that keep getting mad at me for bringing this stuff up & trust me I debated even posting in this thread can't you see a pattern here.

We're just barely over halfway into the season & how many times have we had to debate what Saras has said in an interview? For God's sake this is a backup point guard we're talking about here & in all honesty if J.T. were healthy given the way that A.J. has played I'm not certain he even deserves to be the first backup.

Again though before anybody jumps me, I am with holding any & all judgement on this particular interview until we get more info.

Roaming Gnome
02-19-2006, 01:18 AM
In this system....Is Saras even really being used as a point, or just a player to bring the ball up the court. The first thing that Saras does, as soon as he crosses the time line, is look to get Freddie the ball.

My question is... Is this what Carlisle wants, or is this Runi's first action in initiating the offense?

Personally, it feels like Carlisle wants the ball in Freddie's hands and Saras to pick up the role of SG as soon as Freddie has the ball. If this is the case, I can see why he is maybe disappointed in his role here.

sunsun
02-19-2006, 01:28 AM
i don't know why Jasikevicius not told to coach at firs:buddies: t?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Lithfan
02-19-2006, 01:40 AM
Excuse me, may be I dumb but it seems to me that BOGUS can be added to this thread title. Almost two days passed from this event and no publication in Indiana press?!!? Can you believe it?

As I said in the beginning this is BOGUS.

Probably a result of Lithuanian->English->French->English translations.

Let me imagine this for you:

French Journalist, wanting to get a scoop:
Hi Saras, how do you like it in Indiana playing at SG?

Saras:
Well, ultimately you do what you got to do to win. But I don't like playing at this position.

French Journalist:
Don't you think Larry Bird brought you here to play starting PG, especially when JT is out?

I think this is coach desicion.

Off the record, would you like to start?

Sure.

Do you think you could do that in Cleveland?

I don't know.

Now French TV commentator, probably didn't speek english as good as journalist (French generally don't speek English) and probably it came out as Antonio wrote.

So please, everybody just don't believe it.

Saras is too proffesional to say it. He is not Ron.

Peck
02-19-2006, 01:48 AM
Excuse me, may be I dumb but it seems to me that BOGUS can be added to this thread title. Almost two days passed from this event and no publication in Indiana press?!!? Can you believe it?

As I said in the beginning this is BOGUS.

Probably a result of Lithuanian->English->French->English translations.

Let me imagine this for you:

French Journalist, wanting to get a scoop:
Hi Saras, how do you like it in Indiana playing at SG?

Saras:
Well, ultimately you do what you got to do to win. But I don't like playing at this position.

French Journalist:
Don't you think Larry Bird brought you here to play starting PG, especially when JT is out?

I think this is coach desicion.

Off the record, would you like to start?

Sure.

Do you think you could do that in Cleveland?

I don't know.

Now French TV commentator, probably didn't speek english as good as journalist (French generally don't speek English) and probably it came out as Antonio wrote.

So please, everybody just don't believe it.

Saras is too proffesional to say it. He is not Ron.

A couple of things.

1. Never count on the Indianapolis Press for about anything. They are not the P.R. tool they used to be but they aren't out there stoking the fires for deeper storys either. So I wouldn't base anything on what they do or don't do.

2. I hope you are correct, I hope he is more professional about this than that.

3. Thank you for admitting that this wouldn't be professional if he did do it. That means a lot to me, really it does. I'm glad to see it wouldn't just be me.

Lithfan
02-19-2006, 02:12 AM
A couple of things.

1. Never count on the Indianapolis Press for about anything. They are not the P.R. tool they used to be but they aren't out there stoking the fires for deeper storys either. So I wouldn't base anything on what they do or don't do.

2. I hope you are correct, I hope he is more professional about this than that.

3. Thank you for admitting that this wouldn't be professional if he did do it. That means a lot to me, really it does. I'm glad to see it wouldn't just be me.

Welcome :)
If not Indiana press, then somebody else... But it is silent out there for two days, so it cant be true.

Lord Helmet
02-19-2006, 02:24 AM
Still waiting for that link to the quote.

In the meantime let's bash Saras for something he possibly didn't say.

Yay!

Antonio
02-19-2006, 04:19 AM
Eddy said exactly that:
"it is what Jasikevicius said to me before the game, he hopes to have more freedom on the court. He told me that he doesn't understand why the Pacers wanted him so much if it's not to use him in his true role."
Eddy reported that Sarunas said the Pacers play too slowly for him and that he enjoys run with the ball and make assists but it needed a power-pick to enter to Coach Carlisle that in the head... (I don't remeber what he exactly said)
"he (Jasikevicius) even told me (Eddy) that he would have to prefer to play for the Cavs"

Lithfan
02-19-2006, 04:41 AM
Eddy said exactly that:
"it is what Jasikevicius said to me before the game, he hopes to have more freedom on the court. He told me that he doesn't understand why the Pacers wanted him so much if it's not to use him in his true role."
Eddy reported that Sarunas said the Pacers play too slowly for him and that he enjoys run with the ball and make assists but it needed a power-pick to enter to Coach Carlisle that in the head... (I don't remeber what he exactly said)
"he (Jasikevicius) even told me (Eddy) that it would have to prefer to play for the Cavs"

Sorry Antonio, but this exactly shows what it is all about. Or as Swissexpress said - this is how fairytales are born.

May be he said something to him, whinged to Eddy only if he knows him in person, but not more. The rest Eddy made up or it was lost in translation....

Kestas
02-19-2006, 04:45 AM
but it needed a power-pick to enter to Coach Carlisle that in the head...
"he (Jasikevicius) even told me (Eddy) that it would have to prefer to play for the Cavs"

to be completely honest with you, I don't even understand what that first part means.

and a person is not "it"

110 posts for this is ridiculous. however, I'm surprised how important Saras has become. now we, Europeans, don't even have to inflate his threads with provocative statements. now you, guys, do it yourself, by finding such exciting subjects, as some Best vs Jasikevicius ;)

I hope it's good for Saras.

Antonio
02-19-2006, 04:59 AM
Eddy said exactly that:
Eddy reported that Sarunas said the Pacers play too slowly for him and that he enjoys run with the ball and make assists but it needed a power-pick to enter to Coach Carlisle that in the head

It's a french expression which means something like...
It seems that Carlisle is unable to understand...

Bball
02-19-2006, 05:07 AM
by finding such exciting subjects, as some Best vs Jasikevicius ;)

I hope it's good for Saras.

Being compared with Travis Best is not good for anyone....

As a player you should hope the bar is much higher.

-Bball

Pingu
02-19-2006, 05:10 AM

George Eddy is american... :rolleyes:

You're not willing to believe the story because:

1/Saras is your homey.
2/It was not reported on ESPN, Sports Illustrated, Indystar, etc.

I really don't understand the lack of confidence.

You keep asking for a quote, but tell me why an american newspaper would report something that was said at 3 a.m on a french TV (Canal + Sport) ?

You don't want to believe it, fine.
But, and I say that for Lithfan in particular, stop being a moron.

Pacesetter
02-19-2006, 05:26 AM
Sarunas is alot of fun to watch so I don't worry about what he might have said to a french tv. As long as he keeps getting better and making phenomenal plays, I don't care where he wishes he played at. I wish I was dating Stacy Paetz, but since I'm not I'll continue to be happy with who I'm with! ;)

P.S. A boy can dream though!!!!!! :D

ssmall
02-19-2006, 05:35 AM
Just a thought. Maybe Rick told him after Tinsley comes back he will be playing two?

Lithfan
02-19-2006, 06:04 AM
George Eddy is american... :rolleyes:

You're not willing to believe the story because:

1/Saras is your homey.
2/It was not reported on ESPN, Sports Illustrated, Indystar, etc.

I really don't understand the lack of confidence.

You keep asking for a quote, but tell me why an american newspaper would report something that was said at 3 a.m on a french TV (Canal + Sport) ?

You don't want to believe it, fine.
But, and I say that for Lithfan in particular, stop being a moron.

Thanks for an insult. NOT TAKEN.

Obviously (but somehow not for you), Saras saying he should have played for Cleveland is a scoop. A good measure of its "scoopicity" is a number of the reactions here. Hell, remember Artest case?

Clearly, american newspaper would have published the story in a fraction of a second if it contained a drop of truth in it.

I assumed George Eddy is a French journalist since the story was showcased on a French TV, exclusively. Sorry for mistaken assumption.

However, Eddy being American makes the story even more ridiculous, just listen to this:

Only French TV quotes American journalist scoop talk with Saras.

So please, don't insult your intelligence.

D-BONE
02-19-2006, 08:24 AM

Amen! All players have limitations and it takes all types of players to form a successful team both in terms of skills and mentality. And I repeat: Saras is obviously the more talented player skillwise. However, his importance to the ultimate success of the Pacers or another franschise during his NBA tenure is not yet known. I hope it will equal or exceed TBs when all is said and done! I especially hope it can happen here! On another note, no way should Tinsley immediately move ahead of either AJ or Saras upon his return. Agree w/Bball that it has to take something like an injury to one of the current guys or some sustained poor play before he gets a shot at moving up the PG chain.

FrenchConnection
02-19-2006, 09:42 AM
I have a question for those that saw this. Did Eddy say this or did Saras. As if Eddy said it, how do we know that it is new information since his blog post on the subject. His blog post predates that Pacers new style of play.

denyfizle
02-19-2006, 10:51 AM
well if he really said that then he should be kicked out of the team simply because that is similar to what Artest did and the fact that he's a rookie and that's how he talks? im a big Runi fan, but I was a big RONRON fan too. but I think it's just absolutely :bs2: when somebody says they wish they were playing for a different uniform. if he's unhappy here, then Larry should trade him then- unless of course they plan to can Rick Carlisle once and for all.

Kegboy
02-19-2006, 11:15 AM
The difference is Danny has the ability to do it. It's not his best position, but he can easily play PF too. Sarunas is a PG first, second, and probably third before he's a two. It's like having a natural 2 play the 1, when he has not business being there. I'd use Fred as the example, but Rick ACTUALLY DOES THAT (and at Sarunas' expense no less :sigh: ), so I'll need to think of someone else. I guess I'll say that it's (kind of) like saying "Bender's 7 feet tall, so he should be a great center! He's so skilled, too!" like the thought now being "Sarunas has a great shot, so he'll make a great 2-guard!". That's not the best analogy, but I think it'll work. Being able to shoot doesn't mean you're best at the 2-spot. Sarunas certainly isn't.

So then, what's your excuse for Gary Williams playing Cabbage at the 2? Did he all of a sudden become a "natural" 1 in his mid-20's, like some kind of reverse growth spurt, or is Williams an idiot?

Hicks
02-19-2006, 11:32 AM
So then, what's your excuse for Gary Williams playing Cabbage at the 2? Did he all of a sudden become a "natural" 1 in his mid-20's, like some kind of reverse growth spurt, or is Williams an idiot?

I don't even know who G.Williams is, but I'm guessing a college coach? If so, I read they tried him at 3, too. Sound good to you?

What difference does it make that Williams played him somewhere other than 1? Anyone paying attention can see he's best at PG anyway, so I could care less that someone else tried him there.

denyfizle
02-19-2006, 11:32 AM

that 2 guard you're talking about was not even good enough to be drafted in the NBA.

denyfizle
02-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Runi is a point guard PERIOD.

Kegboy
02-19-2006, 11:43 AM
I don't even know who G.Williams is

:blush:

grace
02-19-2006, 11:54 AM
I don't even know who G.Williams is, but I'm guessing a college coach?

Oh my God. :shakehead Even I know who he is. He coaches Maryland. Heard of them? They won the title a few years ago.

And as Kegboy just reminded me the team they beat was IU. (Sorry Shade.)

Hicks
02-19-2006, 11:57 AM
I thought it was well known I don't really watch NCAA except for an occasional 5-minutes of an IU game.

grace
02-19-2006, 11:59 AM
I thought it was well known I don't really watch NCAA except for an occasional 5-minutes of an IU game.

I don't either except substitute Michigan State and Purdue.

fifo
02-19-2006, 12:03 PM
You will never see Saras quoted like that, so you might as well stop expecting..

Know why? because even if Saras think so, he will never be so stupid as to say it to the Media (excpet maybe in a private talk, not to be published).

I have seen Saras humiliated in front of his family (kept on the bench for an entire home game in front of his parents who flew a thousand miles just to see him play), yet he didn't say a word against the coach. And later became a champion with the same coach (and the same parents ;) ).

Leaving that alone, I am starting to think maybe he should be traded. All this hype around him is so silly. His leadership skills weren't accepted for now, and the coach does not seem to trust him.

Maybe it would be best for both Indy and the guy.

Los Angeles
02-19-2006, 12:12 PM
For the cheap seats: Everyone realizes that the Eddy blog entry that this comes from was published weeks ago, right?

Sorry to be Mr. Obnoxious, but damn. This is getting WAY out of hand.

grace
02-19-2006, 12:26 PM

This is what happens when the Pacers don't play for a week.

FrenchConnection
02-19-2006, 12:27 PM
That was my point. If all he did was to reitterate his earlier point on Television, then it is no news. He just finally got the chance to report his great scoop to a television audience, and I am sure that he would have loved the attention that a controversy would have provided but since this is not really news, the story really got no further than this message board.

Hicks
02-19-2006, 12:46 PM
For the cheap seats: Everyone realizes that the Eddy blog entry that this comes from was published weeks ago, right?

So let's nail this down. Does this absolutely, positivitely, put this thing to rest? This means he couldn't have said it when he allegedly did?

McKeyFan
02-19-2006, 01:07 PM
So let's nail this down. Does this absolutely, positivitely, put this thing to rest? This means he couldn't have said it when he allegedly did?

This is the obvious question to ask.

The silence is deafening.

Big Smooth
02-19-2006, 01:45 PM
I've taken the time to read this entire thread. Honestly, I must conclude that I don't care. He said, she said, international interview, no link, etc.

To me, Saras has made a positive addition to the team and lacking the "word from the horses mouth" I'm not going to lose sleep on this one.

If he is truly unhappy here and becomes disruptive, those things shall bear themselves out on the court and in the locker room soon enough.

Definitely too much time off, let's get back to taking names and kicking asses. :)

Los Angeles
02-19-2006, 01:52 PM
And when was that? There is nothing concrete here other than a French blogger has an opinion.

Then a poster here says the blogger's "opinion" was fed to the blogger from Saras.

What's missing here?

Proof that Saras said anything at all to the press on this subject.

grace
02-19-2006, 02:00 PM

It's put to rest until sometime in the future when someone gets bored and starts going back through old threads and bumps this one back up.

Pingu
02-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Let's put an end to all this "drama".

Eddy blog entry from january, 31 (and not feb, 6) has nothing to do with what he reported during the rookie game.

He said precisely that he had talked privately with Saras before the game and that Saras told him that he regretted not having signed with Cleveland instead of Indiana.
Now, there is no quote in the papers or whatever, because Eddy said that while commentating the Rookie game on a french tv. I saw it, heard it (and so did Antonio, and all the people who watched that game) I can swear it but I can't prove it. Even if you could see the VHS tape of the game that I have you would have a hard time understanding french.

If the PD members don't want to believe it, that's fine.
But you shouldn't call Antonio a liar, or imply that Antonio (or Eddy for that matter) is making up stories.

In fact, people who think that this is a fake story have yet to come up with convincing reasons about why an american journalist working for more than 20 years on a french tv would create such a story, and report fake Saras quotes.

- First of all, nobody care about the Pacers or Saras in France, it is absolutely no scoop. In fact I checked several french message boards about the NBA and nobody's talking about that right now. Why? Because absolutely nobody give a **** about the Pacers. That's why french pacers fans have to come over to PD.
- In addition, the game was at 3 am in France.
So why would Eddy lie ? Implying that he lied to get a scoop is just plain absurd.

Eddy is Mr NBA in France, I mean, he's alone on this market, it's not like there is a huge competition between several newspapers, networks, like ESPN, SI, etc.

To get a paper about what Saras said in a US newspaper, US journalists would have had to watch the french broadcast of the rookie game.
Maybe that explains why there is no quote in the Indystar, maybe that explains why Saras said something he wouldn't have said in US medias

So, yeah, it was not reported on ESPN, and you can't check it by yourself.

But you should at least bother reading Eddy blog entry from the 31 to see that it has no relation whatsoever with what he reported during the rookie game.

It seems to me that some people don't even bother reading the posts previously made in the thread before answering.

That's all I had to say in defence of the french Pacers fans. If you don't want to believe the story, you obviously have the right to, but I have yet to understand what are the reasons of this overall skepticism.

Saying that:
- Eddy lied to get a scoop, or that
- Antonio and me are lying for whatever reason
are arguments that sound pretty weak.

I hope that this put an end to the argument.

Big Smooth
02-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Saying that:
- Eddy lied to get a scoop, or that
- Antonio and me are lying for whatever reason
are arguments that sound pretty weak.

I hope that this put an end to the argument.

I think you are taking this far too personally. People just tend to be skeptical of things like this. Rumors are a dime a dozen in our world.

Los Angeles
02-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Thank you for spelling things out, Pingu.

Please accept my apologies if you felt in any way that I was callling anyone a liar. That was not my intention. I am very sorry for that.

I feel that it is my responsibility to change some of my replies in this thread to reflect your confirmation.

EDIT: So, to whom it may concern: After Pingu's reply above, I am now fairly convinced that Jasikevicius did indeed say these things to a member of the press. It does not matter if he thought that he was "off the record". It does not matter that I even agree with him about going to cleveland. It does not matter that I think he is right about Carlisle. It is still completely stupid and unforgivable that he said this to a member of the press, especially after Ron's trade request.

SwissExpress
02-19-2006, 02:52 PM
I have seen Saras humiliated in front of his family (kept on the bench for an entire home game in front of his parents who flew a thousand miles just to see him play), yet he didn't say a word against the coach. And later became a champion with the same coach (and the same parents ;) ).

I had forgotten of that. It's deffinitely surprising he would react so rudely to smth that seem to be over. Especially after how he acted in Europe. And especially taking into acount that he was in Ljunbliana Olimpia for several years, with the most "no bul*****, no daylight, no Coke, just hard work" coach in Europe.

If that happened, course of things must have made him very frustrated in these 6 or 7 monthes.

fifo
02-19-2006, 04:19 PM
If that happened, course of things must have made him very frustrated in these 6 or 7 monthes.

I'm pretty sure what happened there is a small talk which has absolutely no meaning between 2 guys who know each other for a long time (Saras - Eddy). A month later Eddy happens to mention some of it in a 2 a.m. broadcast on a french network, and somehow it finds the way to the P.D. Spinning into a weird debate about nothing actually.
Man.. The world is weird!

I've lived a few years in France and really, no one there cares about any of this. Funny.

Bball
02-19-2006, 04:43 PM
I'm pretty sure what happened there is a small talk which has absolutely no meaning between 2 guys who know each other for a long time (Saras - Eddy). A month later Eddy happens to mention some of it in a 2 a.m. broadcast on a french network, and somehow it finds the way to the P.D. Spinning into a weird debate about nothing actually.

I've lived a few years in France and really, no one there cares about any of this. Funny.

I have to think this is the best explanation.

-Bball

Kestas
02-19-2006, 05:20 PM

in other words, Saras would never tell that to US journalist or otherplace explicitly public. I fully agree with fifo here. I mean, this is obvious. people can think whatever they want and, to be honest, I think that if people believe in their ideas, they should not be afraid to tell them.
and Ron's case has nothing to do with that. even if Saras did say he would like to play for Cleveland, the reasons and meaning were totally different. Ron wanted to leave the team and that's why he said that. Saras said it because he thinks (maybe) that Cleveland would have been a better choice for him during the summer. maybe, just maybe, if he could turn the time back, he would have signed with Cleveland. but now is now and I believe Saras has no intention whatsoever to leave the Pacers.
the tone of the statement plays a major role here. it's deffinitely a storm in a glass of water.

however, if you think that Saras was not dissapointed with some issues he encountered in the Pacers, then you are obviously wrong. but that's no news. a lot of people were dissapointed with what was happening with this team in the first half of the season. Saras, btw, always said the team is far from its best in his interviews. Lithuanian ones including. he still believes in this team imho. I do too, btw. this will be a strong play-offs team. but they will have to do something for the next season, as there are four PGs in the team. imho one really good forward instead of Jackson (he is very inconsistent) and one of the PGs would do this team a lot of good. all in all, this team is very deep and amazingly well ballanced (a lot of starting quality players).

Fireball Kid
02-19-2006, 06:40 PM

Okay, I'll go with that.

Shade
02-19-2006, 11:15 PM

Actually, Gary Williams IS an idiot. I've always felt that guy was overrated.

Shade
02-19-2006, 11:17 PM
So, then this is just hearsay, and not an official declaration to the press?

If that's so, no big deal. I'm sure he's not the only one who wishes he wasn't a Pacer right now.

And THAT, my friends, is why I wait for quotes before roasting a guy. :tongue:

SoupIsGood
02-19-2006, 11:30 PM
So, then this is just hearsay, and not an official declaration to the press?

If that's so, no big deal. I'm sure he's not the only one who wishes he wasn't a Pacer right now.

And THAT, my friends, is why I wait for quotes before roasting a guy. :tongue:

Yup!

Kegboy
02-20-2006, 10:09 AM
Actually, Gary Williams IS an idiot. I've always felt that guy was overrated.

Who'd he beat in '02? I forget.

IMHO, there's a big difference between being overrated and being an idiot.

blahzay
02-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Just wanna weigh in my 2 cents worth.

a) I watched the all-star weekend on Canal + also, didn't see any of this kind of thing.

b) Sarunas is frustrated from certain happenings in the Pacer camp but said he's not unhappy with his position within the Indiana Pacers.

c) He believes this team is more of a contender than Cleveland with JO back in the team.

Shade
02-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Who'd he beat in '02? I forget.

IMHO, there's a big difference between being overrated and being an idiot.

He beat...a guy who's being run out on a rail for failing to lead his team to the NCAA tourney for the third consecutive year? :unimpress

Fine then. Overrated = playing players out of position for no good reason. ;)

RWB
02-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Just wanna weigh in my 2 cents worth.

a) I watched the all-star weekend on Canal + also, didn't see any of this kind of thing.

b) Sarunas is frustrated from certain happenings in the Pacer camp but said he's not unhappy with his position within the Indiana Pacers.

c) He believes this team is more of a contender than Cleveland with JO back in the team.

Thanks for the update. :)

naptownmenace
02-20-2006, 12:05 PM

Ok, that is hilarious.

I don't get the joke. :shrug:

Travis via 2000 was better than Sarunas is right now - and I love the way Sarunas plays. Travis finished games on a regular and played nearly 30 minutes a game during the second half of the season. Travis came up big in 2000.

ChicagoJ
02-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Yes... I'm way behind.

Can't we just trade his whiny @$$? I don't really care if he said it or not.

He's a freaking rookie. Bottom line, its his job to shut up and play whatever position Carlisle asks him to play.

ghost
02-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Yes... I'm way behind.

He's a freaking rookie. Bottom line, its his job to shut up and play whatever position Carlisle asks him to play.

:(

Los Angeles
02-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Yes... I'm way behind.

I'm still really surprised at your attitude against rookies. Is this a frat thing or something?

I think Jasikevicius talks too much and endangers team chemistry when he does. I think any person who is new to a team should be sensitive about what they say and how it might be taken by his organization, regardless of how many years they've been in the league.

This leads to the question: Why is the number of years Saras has played in the league such a big issue with you?

Side story:

I'm reminded of an old workplace issue I had: someone roasted me as the "new guy" at a boutique firm I once worked in. Gave me crap to do at the last minute or over the weekends, excluded me from client meetings, etc., etc. He thought my age and my status as a "rookie" meant that I should automatically carry everyone else's bags until I "earned" my place.

He didn't respect my experience from before I arrived, and didn't understand that I was different than the other new hires in that I had potential to expand the department considerably once my skills were used effectively. I handled things as a professional and waited for the right opportunity to show the higher ups what I was capable of. I was soon given a specialty role. The hazer thought that giving this kind of role to a "new guy" was inappropriate and was so busy treating the office like it was an episode of "survivor" that he was eventually shown the door.

Lesson learned: "pledge/rookie" treatment belongs in frat houses, not in professional arenas.

FrenchConnection
02-23-2006, 04:06 PM
It gets worse. I was talking to someone who teaches Russian here at IU at he told me a story about a group of students of Lithuanian and Lithuanians who participate in "Lithuanian Table" here at IU that made a trip up to the Fieldhouse to watch Saras play. They also set up a meet and greet with him before or after the game (I cannot remember which). One of the students asked him how he likes living in Indy and he said "God, I don't know how you people can live here!" I have this knowledge third hand so the quote is probably not exact, especially as it was said in Lithuanian, but it doesn't look good. I just cannot understand why they guy can't just keep his mouth shut!

fifo
02-23-2006, 04:25 PM
It gets worse. I was talking to someone who teaches Russian here at IU at he told me a story about a group of students of Lithuanian and Lithuanians who participate in "Lithuanian Table" here at IU that made a trip up to the Fieldhouse to watch Saras play. They also set up a meet and greet with him before or after the game (I cannot remember which). One of the students asked him how he likes living in Indy and he said "God, I don't know how you people can live here!" I have this knowledge third hand so the quote is probably not exact, especially as it was said in Lithuanian, but it doesn't look good. I just cannot understand why they guy can't just keep his mouth shut!

Yeah, one of those students happened to mention to me that Saras asked her if they have a place in the flight home because he hates the NBA and Indiana.
He said the only reason he stays is beacuse S-Jax is such a good friend.
:cry:

Lithfan
02-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Common...
Another rumor?

Well I've heard:

Saras said he likes to play in Indiana. He likes Rick. He likes to ask him what to do any next second. He likes running around the court and not getting a ball from Jack when he is free at 3. He likes to play at 2.
He said that he doesn't mind to play only in defense and then sit in offence in order to improve his defensive game. He doesn't mind to be 4th string PG. He doesnt mind to do whatever you want him to do.

Now seriously. He would do anything for this team to win. And thats something you cannot say about many Pacers players.

Now please stop rumors.

Rytas_Jega
02-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Interesting. As I know, ke had quite a difficult relationship with Maccabi's head coach Pini Gershon at his first season in Israel. However, he didn't say a word against him in Lithuanian press where he voiced much.

Off topic.

One more story about former Pacer. It happened one hour ago. One former NBA all-star point guard dribbled, stoped for a litle rest and then dribbled again. He did it against 215cm tall pole also known as Gregor F.ucka in the last minute. That probably cost Kaunas Zalgiris a win at Euroleague top16 stage. Zalgiris lost 85-86 to Barcelona. 5 more games left, but this home loss could be too expensive.

Kestas
02-23-2006, 04:34 PM
but it doesn't look good. I just cannot understand why they guy can't just keep his mouth shut!

this is ridiculous. why can't you keep your mouth shut? ;) :D

I mean, what is this?! he can talk whatever he likes. he told hundred of times that Indianapolis is quet and slow. it lacks clubs or something. i mean, could you even compare this city to boiling pots of lava that are Barcelona or Tel Aviv? obviously, Saras likes the nightlive and lively city with lively people - this is not Indianapolis (by the looks of things as this comes from n-th mouth, that is our press ;))
so he told he's bored.. big deal. I would like to listen to what Jackson or Jarmaine are talking about with their pals..

Kestas
02-23-2006, 04:39 PM
So, they took a win from low-budget Lithuanians. 85-86. After that Zalgiris' fans attacked referees. So, not the richest Euroleague club will be fined. That is Euroleague.

come on, this is not the place for this! although the traveling by Andersen wasn't very proffesional, so to speak. but he should improve..

imho gal tu trink ta laiska, pernelyg daug jame vietu, kurie leistu vietiniams smagiai pasitycioti is musu..

(nothing of interest in the sentence above)

FrenchConnection
02-23-2006, 04:43 PM
this is ridiculous. why can't you keep you mouth shut? ;) :D

I mean, what is this?! he can talk whatever he likes. he told hundred of times that Indianapolis is quet and slow. it lacks clubs or something. i mean, could you even compare this city to boiling pots of lava that are Barcelona or Tel Aviv? obviously, Saras likes the nightlive and lively city with lively people - this is not Indianapolis (by the looks of things as this comes from n-th mouth, that is our press ;))
so he told he's bored.. big deal. I would like to listen to what Jackson or Jarmaine are talking about with their pals..

I don't care what he thinks, he just shouldn't say this to a group of people who live here! We have civic pride too! He was not asked to compare Indy to Barcelona or anywhere else, just what he thinks of it by a student of his language. He just needs to consider that we pay his overpaid ***, so he needs to think about that a little bit. If not, go back to Europe and play second class ball.

Rytas_Jega
02-23-2006, 04:48 PM
second class ball.

Argentina won Olympic Tournament with 11 second class ballers.
Italy finished second having all 12.

fifo
02-23-2006, 04:58 PM
I don't care what he thinks.

I'm tired of this, but finally:
You can not quote a second hand hearsay which is out of context, and roast a guy for it. You can make anyone sound stupid like that, but it just ain't the way.
By doing so you are merely following your own words - you really don't care what he thinks.

Since86
02-23-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm tired of this, but finally:
You can not quote a second hand hearsay which is out of context, and roast a guy for it. You can make anyone sound stupid like that, but it just ain't the way.
By doing so you are merely following your own words - you really don't care what he thinks.

Well I have a cousin, who has a friend, who heard it on the radio, that the show host was at a public hearing and the judge ruled that hearsay is a legitimate way to quote someone as long as it follows the rules of the '6 degrees of Kevin Bacon.'

fifo
02-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Well I have a cousin, who has a friend, who heard it on the radio, that the show host was at a public hearing and the judge ruled that hearsay is a legitimate way to quote someone as long as it follows the rules of the '6 degrees of Kevin Bacon.'

So now you tell me:
How sure are you that it was the show host who said it, or one of his guests. I'm saying it because I know this show host, and he never goes to public hearings.

Rytas_Jega
02-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Why do all the French attack Šaras?

For his "player of the game" in 2003 European Champioship semis?

FrenchConnection
02-23-2006, 05:23 PM
I was just angry when I heard this and mu boss was just yelling at me and I didn't think. I am usually the last person to report rumors. I never believe them myself. For christ's sake, I was in Panera in Bloomington last Friday and was sitting next to an IU assistant coach and overheard a conservation about the next coach and players that would be staying. Much more juicy info than this! I never reported what I heard on any IU sites because I think that no one would believe me and anyway, I only heard one side of a cell-phone conservation.

My point here is this. I know that Saras said something of the sort because I just asked another person that was actually there and they confirmed the story. Now, this is not that big of a deal. How is it out of context; he was asked how he likes living in Indy and he said what he said. Not really a big deal. I remember a few years back when Jagr played in Pittsburgh and he was roasted for saying that he prefers living in Prague to living in Pittsburgh. Now I have been in both places and I really get where he is coming from. Also, I have been to Vilnius (never to Barcelona) and I could see that if I was from there I would rather live there than in Indy. Not a big deal. I also never really cared what he told a French journalist; that was not meant for our consumption. This statement was made to students from IU; he needs to consider his audience. We are not allowed to have civic pride?

FrenchConnection
02-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Why do all the French attack Šaras?

For his "player of the game" in 2003 European Champioship semis?

The French Connection was a line on the Buffalo Sabres in the 1970's that was comprised of all French Canadian players. I am not French by any strech of the imagination. I was born and raised in Buffalo, NY. Practicaly Canadian, not at all French. I love Saras as a player! He needs to play much more! I was just taken aback by these comments because I would think that after the Artest situation that players would watch their comments a little more, thats all.

fifo
02-23-2006, 05:35 PM
I was just angry when I heard this and mu boss was just yelling at me and I didn't think. I am usually the last person to report rumors. I never believe them myself. For christ's sake, I was in Panera in Bloomington last Friday and was sitting next to an IU assistant coach and overheard a conservation about the next coach and players that would be staying. Much more juicy info than this! I never reported what I heard on any IU sites because I think that no one would believe me and anyway, I only heard one side of a cell-phone conservation. ?

Thanks for this. I really respect you taking it back, and sorry for your boss being an a$$h*le.

My point here is this. I know that Saras said something of the sort because I just asked another person that was actually there and they confirmed the story. Now, this is not that big of a deal. How is it out of context; he was asked how he likes living in Indy and he said what he said. Not really a big deal. I remember a few years back when Jagr played in Pittsburgh and he was roasted for saying that he prefers living in Prague to living in Pittsburgh. Now I have been in both places and I really get where he is coming from. Also, I have been to Vilnius (never to Barcelona) and I could see that if I was from there I would rather live there than in Indy. Not a big deal. I also never really cared what he told a French journalist; that was not meant for our consumption. This statement was made to students from IU; he needs to consider his audience. We are not allowed to have civic pride?

I understand you, but what I mean is - there is a big significance to the tone & context. I would bet he won't say something like: "I don't understand how people live here" and be serious about it. More likely he would make it as a joke, or he said it in a nicer way. Ask your fiend again if he remembers the exact words, and weather or not it came out as a part of a funny discussion.
If it turns out like you say, I'll be very surprised and feel like a total idiot (promise) :).