PDA

View Full Version : ESPN.com rips off REALGM....

Kstat
02-17-2006, 06:40 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/trademachine

fooddaman
02-17-2006, 06:44 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/trademachine

Sure it is similar, but ripped off? :rolleyes:

Jermaniac
02-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Yup, thats what you call it when you steal someone else's ****, ripped off. RealGM should sue if they can.

18to88
02-17-2006, 06:47 PM
I don't think realgm has a patent or anything. Its hard to copyright/patent algorithms. It's like software because anyone can go see how it works, as long as they didn't steal the code they are fine.

Kstat
02-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Didn't say they "stole" it. I just said it was a rip-off of RealGM's idea, which it clearly is.

At the very least, they should give credit to REALGM for the idea.

Just seems lame to be when a big conglomerate like ESPN takes someone else's idea and then passes it off as "their" nice new product.

I know there's nothing illigal about this, it just seems lame nontheless.

Ragnar
02-17-2006, 06:56 PM
yeah they clearly just took Real GM's idea and put it on their site. I would agree with Kstat this is a blatant rip off.

Anthem
02-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Well, whaddya expect from ESPN? Innovation?

Maybe this will pressure RealGM to go back to their old system. The new one's not nearly as good.

Hicks
02-17-2006, 07:19 PM
They did what I had thought about: Making a trade checker like RealGM's, use Hoopshype's salary numbers instead of a point system, and maybe tidy things up a bit. I don't know about the tidying up part without looking in depth, but that seems to be what ESPN has done (though I'm sure their salary numbers aren't from hoopshype)

One thing this trade checker does that's nice (and RealGM doesn't do) is tell you how much money you need to add/subtract from a team to make the deal work.

Jermaniac
02-17-2006, 07:23 PM
I heard the trade checker the Realgm sells to NBA teams is super advanced. That site has a crapload of connections.

Chauncey
02-17-2006, 07:24 PM
ESPN was writing articles about basketball on the internet first..then RealGM ripped them off and started writing them too....*******s.

Chauncey
02-17-2006, 07:24 PM
I heard the trade checker the Realgm sells to NBA teams is super advanced. That site has a crapload of connections.

It is pretty awesome.

Hicks
02-17-2006, 07:26 PM
It is pretty awesome.

What does it do that makes is better? The public one isn't too shabby.

Kstat
02-17-2006, 07:30 PM
It says "thank you sir may I have another?" after every trade check.....

Jermaniac
02-17-2006, 07:30 PM
I have no idea what it does, but I heard they get at least 20 - 30 grand from teams for it.

Anthem
02-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Ok, I've been playing with it and there is no doubt. That one's a lot better than the one RealGM puts out for the public.

RealGM can win me back, but they're gonna have to improve their interface. Right now, ESPN's better, hands down.

CableKC
02-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Yup, thats what you call it when you steal someone else's ****, ripped off. RealGM should sue if they can.
No kidding.....geez....even the format and the "Trade Accepted" is similiar.

CableKC
02-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Hey....Gordon/Hinrich/Basden/Thomas works for JONeal/Tinsley/Gill!!!! Make it so Donnie!!!

grace
02-17-2006, 07:50 PM
it just seems lame nontheless.

If you type in "lame" on dictionary.com the definition says "see ESPN.com".

Well, not really but it should.

Jermaniac
02-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Hey....Gordon/Hinrich/Basden/Thomas works for JONeal/Tinsley/Gill!!!! Make it so Donnie!!!Out of your damn mind

fooddaman
02-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Ok, I've been playing with it and there is no doubt. That one's a lot better than the one RealGM puts out for the public.

RealGM can win me back, but they're gonna have to improve their interface. Right now, ESPN's better, hands down.

Yeah, I am with you on this one. I like the ESPN interface better as well. Not that I used the Real GM freebie that much.

SycamoreKen
02-17-2006, 08:54 PM
It is easier to use.

indygeezer
02-17-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm suprized you don't have to be an INSIDER to use iMmmpffffh OK OK, I won't say it! I'm sure they can come up with that idea themselves....sheeesh.

SycamoreKen
02-17-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm suprized you don't have to be an INSIDER to use iMmmpffffh OK OK, I won't say it! I'm sure they can come up with that idea themselves....sheeesh.

They have to let people get used to having it first, then they will put it on the pay as you go side of the board.

Shade
02-17-2006, 09:22 PM
It's a rip-off (what isn't these days?), but right now ESPN's is better.

A little competition never hurt anybody, anyway. ;)

CableKC
02-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Out of your damn mind
I was only testing out a trade there to see if it works :D

KINGS FAN
02-17-2006, 09:38 PM
Didn't say they "stole" it. I just said it was a rip-off of RealGM's idea, which it clearly is.

At the very least, they should give credit to REALGM for the idea.

Just seems lame to be when a big conglomerate like ESPN takes someone else's idea and then passes it off as "their" nice new product.

I know there's nothing illigal about this, it just seems lame nontheless. stole and ripped off is kinda the same thing. but i know what you mean:D

KINGS FAN
02-17-2006, 09:50 PM
I have no idea what it does, but I heard they get at least 20 - 30 grand from teams for it. are you jermaniac from the pacers forum on realgm. if you are i had no idea. i love reading the stuff you say on that forum. it hilarious. im a big fan of people who talk crap because i do the same thing. i think we can be buddies:buddies:

BlueNGold
02-17-2006, 10:01 PM
I don't think realgm has a patent or anything. Its hard to copyright/patent algorithms. It's like software because anyone can go see how it works, as long as they didn't steal the code they are fine.
Software patents are probably the fastest growing area in patent law. ...and it is not the code itself that is typically patented (or copied for that matter), but the unique functionality involved in the application.

Jermaniac
02-17-2006, 10:07 PM
are you jermaniac from the pacers forum on realgm. if you are i had no idea. i love reading the stuff you say on that forum. it hilarious. im a big fan of people who talk crap because i do the same thing. i think we can be buddies:buddies:Yesir the one and only Jermaniac from Realgm. Whats your name on realgm?

KINGS FAN
02-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Hey....Gordon/Hinrich/Basden/Thomas works for JONeal/Tinsley/Gill!!!! Make it so Donnie!!! wow im glad you were joking because thats a terrible trade.

KINGS FAN
02-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Yesir the one and only Jermaniac from Realgm. Whats your name on realgm? i tried to register but they said something about my email being free or something so i couldnt get on. do you know any other way for me to get in.

Jermaniac
02-17-2006, 10:19 PM
No idea

Anthem
02-17-2006, 10:49 PM
Great gravy, they're multiplying. :flirt:

sixthman
02-19-2006, 08:44 PM
ESPN's salaries seem to be real. Hoopshype's are not. An easy test is Austin Croshere's salary. Hoopshype has him making almost 9 million; ESPN a little less than 8 million. The lesser of the two figures is almost certainly correct.

The ESPN checker appears very user friendly compared to the RealGM trade checker with the point system forced by the NBA. Wonder if that means RGM will go back to salaries next season?

Chauncey
02-20-2006, 12:22 PM
What does it do that makes is better? The public one isn't too shabby.

Well, one thing I've seen is that you can take a player from your team and it will run a report showing everyone that he can be traded for in a 1-for-1 deal. Part of this also is that you can blacklist players. Another part of this allows you to search for players that meet certain contract specs, e.g. <3 years left on their deal. So thats pretty handy.

Another thing I've seen is that the trade denials are more detailed and will give you specific #s...showing how far off you are. Like, you can't trade Fred Jones for Kobe Bryant straight up, you need $17.47 more in salary on the Pacers end.

Obviously I don't have this, but I've seen it used in person.

RWB
02-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Great gravy, they're multiplying. :flirt:

Yes sir, they truely are. :D