PDA

View Full Version : RealGM: JO in ChiTown this summer?

Tim
02-17-2006, 07:36 AM
I found this while about to leave for work.
I almost didn't post this because it would put a smile on a few faces on here.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39185/20060217/jermaine_in_chicago_this_summer/

Pacersfan46
02-17-2006, 07:46 AM
I ...... don't know how I feel about that. I guess in part it depends on what we get for Tinsley. As obviously that trade would mean Tinsley is gone.

That's a top 5 pick, but who would we want that wouldn't overlap with Granger? Gay, Morrison, Carney, Brewer? All I see left is Aldridge, Tyrus Thomas, and Shelden Williams.

I'm not sure.

Jose Slaughter
02-17-2006, 07:52 AM
Hinrich & JJ Riddick for JO?

Pacersfan46
02-17-2006, 07:58 AM
Riddick?

I'll vomit. Seriously. My "Trajan Langdon" detector is going off.

Anthem
02-17-2006, 08:17 AM
You really think we're gonna trade JO for a draft pick? Ain't gonna happen.

The real news is that Jermaine let SI take a picture of him in a Bulls jersey. That was stupid.

Pacersfan46
02-17-2006, 08:20 AM
It's not just "a" draft pick. It's a pick with the chance to be #1, and also a PG who can start, and play more than 10 games a year.

RWB
02-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Tim, thanks for posting that. Some pretty funny stuff.

Hey, haven't seen your name on the forum party list yet. What's the holdup?

Hicks
02-17-2006, 08:39 AM
The real news is that Jermaine let SI take a picture of him in a Bulls jersey. That was stupid.

:laugh: There's no way it was a real photo. Photoshop is the friend of many.

Pacesetter
02-17-2006, 08:52 AM
JO collects jerseys of teams so it wouldn't surprise me if he was wearing a throwback or even a current one with his number on it. I saw him at the Vogue wearing a Hawks jersey and I avoided him, because I thought he was trying to make a point about his future. :blush: :blush: :D

Anthem
02-17-2006, 08:56 AM
:laugh: There's no way it was a real photo. Photoshop is the friend of many.
Friend of many, but I always thought it was considered poor form for "real" journalists.

Of course, this is SI...

Slick Pinkham
02-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Riddick?

I'll vomit. Seriously. My "Trajan Langdon" detector is going off.

More like a Michael Redd detector.

Langdon could hit wide open shots given enough screens.

Redick hits them with or without a screen, with or without a hand in his face, squared up, off the dribble, moving right, moving left.

Redick will be in the NBA for 15 years IMO. Maybe never an all-NBA player, but very solid. Defense is a concern, maybe the only concern.

Black Sox
02-17-2006, 09:15 AM
Funny article.

JO has as much of a chance of being traded as Mel Daniels does.

Unless you can pull a JO for Garnett or Dirk than JO stays.

Rumors are just that RUMORS.

Black Sox
02-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Redick will be a very good NBA player. Remember they said Reggie couldn't last in the NBA either when he was drafted.

Chauncey
02-17-2006, 09:22 AM
I'll stake everything I know about basketball on JJ Reddick making at least two all-star teams in his NBA career.

Back on topic, in a perfect world in which the Pacers could get a good big man with the MLE or by trading Tinsley, a JO for Hinrich + Bulls 1st rounder wouldn't be bad at all.

RWB
02-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Back on topic, in a perfect world

we keep JO, Rick keeps the current system in place and JO fits in.

naptownmenace
02-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Back on topic, in a perfect world in which the Pacers could get a good big man with the MLE or by trading Tinsley, a JO for Hinrich + Bulls 1st rounder wouldn't be bad at all.

I don't agree at all. No one from this year's draft will be as good as JO is right now. Not to mention this deal can't be done without the Bulls adding another player (depending on how high their draft pick is). Also consider that the Pacers would hate to face JO 4 times a year and possibly during the playoffs.

I like Hinrich a lot but think that Reddick is a little too short to be a consistent threat in the NBA. I'd love to get Josh Boone from UCONN but I don't think he or any other big man in the draft this season will be as good as JO (when healthy, of course).

mboyle1313
02-17-2006, 10:21 AM
Menace,

For clarification purposes, Chicago would not have to add another player in this hypothetical deal. They will be under the cap and thus would be able to absorb more salary than they send elsewhere.

MJB

Jose Slaughter
02-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Hinrich, Tim Thomas & the draft pick works.

indygeezer
Well that would certainly go along way toward solving the Pacer's cap issues.

sweabs
Well...I'm most likely in the minority, but I kind of like the idea. Kirk Hinrich is a real nice true point guard, who can actually suit up and play. And when there's the possibility of throwing Rudy Gay into the mix, I think that situation deserves a listen (but I really doubt anything will come of this).

Hicks
02-17-2006, 10:32 AM
If we could add another PF someplace else (or hypothetical if Harrison develops you start Foster and he together), I'd consider this deal because of how we've played, what we have, and what we'd get. Hinrich would easily start at 1, and play a lot. Add in a high draft pick, and a monster cut in salary, and this could really help us. A hell of a gamble, though.

Slick Pinkham
02-17-2006, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't want to do the deal, by the way, but I just thought I'd offer the aside that Redick does not in any way equal Langdon.

I'd prefer JO to stay and our team to play just as unselfishly WITH him as they have without him.

Keep Tinsley too for now, with a much shorter leash, realizing he really can't be traded for anything worthwhile until his BYC is up and until he proves to somebody that he can be on the court for a month or two without getting hurt. I'd like him to pump up his trade value so we can get a defensive-minded PG as a backup to Saras and/or AJ in the offseason.

mboyle1313
02-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Jose,

Tim Thomas can not be included in a trade this summer. He will be a free agent.

MJB

RWB
02-17-2006, 10:39 AM

Geez, as Peck has pointed out numerous times. If the Pacers get to the point they're more concerned with cap issues than trying to win a championship then you're gonna see him along with many other season tick holders not return.

Tossing JO to the side for cap reasons will not float.

Pacersfan46
02-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Hooooly cow, a Michael Redd comparison, and 2 all star appearances ... out of Redick?

He can't play defense, he's too short for SG, not good enough with the ball for PG, isn't fast, and has trouble scoring on more athletic players. His ability to handle the ball includes repeating the same behind the back dribble pull up jump shot. In the NBA they'll catch those tendencies and shut it down. He really has no moves.

He'll be abused. I see no chance of him being anything better than a Steve Kerr type player if he can get on the right team. If he does do anything in the NBA I'd pin it on his work ethic. Yet, success won't come early to him. He'll have to take the time, and learn. He geniuinely looks like a player who wants to get better, and to win. Killer instinct.

Major Cold
02-17-2006, 11:27 AM
I really do not see us trading JO to the Bulls because of a few things.

He has been marked as the franchise player (whether that remains will be seen this summer if this trade goes down). I don't understand why we would trade our only low post threat (still waiting on consistency from DH), which is hard to find in the NBA, for another injury prone combo guard and a pick in the weakest draft in 4 years.

Quality big men are hard to come by. If we got Chandler, Gordon and a first for JO and Tins I might think again. But even with that I do not see us trading JO to the East basement teams or even a West contender. JO has ticked me off a lot over the past two years. He gets paid to be the top dog.

Name 5 big men you would want over him?

Garnett?
Duncan?
Amare?
Bosh?
D.Howard?
Frye?
Kirlenko?
Webber?
Dirk?
Al Jefferson?
Gasol?
Okafor?

Jermaniac
02-17-2006, 11:32 AM
lmao Kirk Hinrich and a draft pick for one of the best big men in the NBA. Lets give them Danny too to make it sweater.

Black Sox
02-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Pacersfan46, Have you ever seen Redick play? He is a very good defense player, he is fast enough and hasn't had trouble scroing on more atheltic players all year except for one game. Averaging 28 points a game, you can't have to much trouble scoring against people who guard you. He has a variety of moves.

rexnom
02-17-2006, 11:41 AM
It makes sense as a rumor...

...healthy pg...check
...pick for the future...check
...salary help...check
...comes at a time when the Pacers are playing well without j.o....check

But as more than a rumor? I don't think so. J.O. is the face of this franchise...I seriously doubt him being traded.

Note...I think Redick will fall, worse than this pick...whether he is going to be good or not, GMs don't value undersized SGs...Boone might even fall to the Pacers's pick...depending on where we are and how well he does...

Jermaniac
02-17-2006, 11:44 AM
And if this trade does happen, and we take JJ Reddick over LaMarcus Aldridge, Donnie and Larry should both quit their jobs.

Pacersfan46
02-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Watch him play? Why would I do that?

And if this trade does happen, and we take JJ Reddick over LaMarcus Aldridge, Donnie and Larry should both quit their jobs.

We don't agree often, but ..... when you're right. You're right. :)

Shade
02-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Ugh.

That is all.

indygeezer
02-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Geez, as Peck has pointed out numerous times. If the Pacers get to the point they're more concerned with cap issues than trying to win a championship then you're gonna see him along with many other season tick holders not return.

Tossing JO to the side for cap reasons will not float.

Cap + decent PG + unprotected No. 1 = something ya gotta think about

I wasn't saying that it was THE reason...only that it would be a side benefit.

Anthem
02-17-2006, 12:00 PM
I didn't think anyone would take this seriously.

You don't trade big for small. If we move JO, we'd better get somebody better than Heinrich.

grace
02-17-2006, 12:08 PM

It would also make the Pacers a lock for a lottery pick.

Pacersfan46
02-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Losing JO, and gaining a stable starter at PG would make us a lock for the lottery?

Losing JO, Artest, and Jackson for most of a season didn't make us a lock for the lottery. I'm confused.

sweabs
02-17-2006, 12:14 PM
By the way, I'm almost sure that this would never happen for the simple reason that Donnie and Larry would not be stupid enough to send our "franchise guy", and one of the best big men in the East, to another team within the East that we would see regularly throughout the regular season and potentially playoffs.

CableKC
02-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Let's look at some facts here:

- trading JONeal ( a top 3 PF in the East ) will make the team that he is going to significantly better. Given that Walsh was reluctance to trade Artest to any Eastern Conference team when given the chance.....I find it difficult to accept that Walsh would trade our franchise player to a Conference ( much less a division ) rival. Trading him to a division rival like Chicago will likely make them a playoff 1st ( if not a 2nd ) round playoff team....if not a significantly better team then the Pacers.

- If we have learned nothing from the entire 45 days of waiting for Walsh to deal Artest to the Kings for Peja......Walsh isn't going to give JONeal away for anything less. If Walsh did consider sending him to Chicago...I wouldn't be surprised if his asking price didn't start Hinrich, Deng ( or Nocioni ), Gordon and then the 1st round draft pick. Trading Tinsley and/or SJax would mean that we are rebuilding but still be competitive.....trading away JONeal would mean that we are tearing down the foundation and rebuilding from scratch.

There are some reasons why trading JONeal to Chicago would make sense ( getting a stable and high quality PG in Hinrich and getting back a likely top 5 draft pick ). However, there are equally more reasons not to trade him to Chicago that are far more compelling.

The only way I can really see this happen is if Walsh demanded a 2-player combination of Hinrich, Deng, Nocioni and Gordon AND thought that LaMarcus Aldiridge or Morrison were going to be immediate impact players in the league.

Kegboy
02-17-2006, 01:00 PM
It would also make the Pacers a lock for a lottery pick.

And that's coming from a Bulls fan.

I'm surprised people aren't jumping all over this. Just think what a wonderful lineup it would be:

Hinrich
Cabbage
Peja
Croshere
Foster
6th - Morrison

It's Larry's marketing dream come true!!!

:rollout:

KINGS FAN
02-17-2006, 01:02 PM
Funny article.

JO has as much of a chance of being traded as Mel Daniels does.

Unless you can pull a JO for Garnett or Dirk than JO stays.

Rumors are just that RUMORS. yeah right. JO doesnt even compare with garnett. maybe dirk but not garnett. and if they traded JO to the bulls that would be the dumbest thing this team has done since january 25th when they traded for peja instead of going after troy murphy or pietrus. now that would have been a fantasic move for the pacers. now they are stuck with peja who is most likely going to chicago anyway because there are a ton of serbians there. plus him and scot skiles are good friends from the past. and another problem is peja is going to want the max.:laugh: that would be funny if him and JO go to chicago thats for sure.

OnlyPacersLeft
02-17-2006, 01:24 PM
are you friggin kidding me? why do we trade away all our stars and the nicest guy in our town!? no loyalty...trading JO would be a mistake....we never dealt reggie because "he couldn't get it done" in the playoffs...so wtf is this crap? figures.

Black Sox
02-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Don't worry Redick will be top 6 pick. But if he does fall to the teens (which he won't) Bird should be fired if he doesn't draft him.

Black Sox
02-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Lets not forget the Bulls pick will likely be around the 7th to 10th pick considering the odds.

Bball
02-17-2006, 01:37 PM
This rumor simply means others have noticed the elephant in the living room and are starting to talk about it.

I'm skeptical of it actually coming from the front office tho. ...more likely it is simply people seeing the elephant in the living room and beginning to speculate. Although management has to be scratching their heads and watching things closely because it is a big question that needs to be answered one way or the other.

Of course if Peja can't be re-signed then it probably changes everything anyway.

-Bball

Jose Slaughter
02-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Jose,

Tim Thomas can not be included in a trade this summer. He will be a free agent.

MJB

I'm aware of that, however that package is good upto the trading deadline. I can't say an O'Neal trade would never happen but this one seems unlikely at best.

It was just some bored sports writers idea of killing time & it's fun for us, sometimes.

Outlaw
02-17-2006, 01:46 PM
Not sure if this should have it's own thread or go here? But clublakers started a thread monday on JO in their trade board.

http://clublakers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49534

Mods can move if they don't feel it belongs here.I am not trying to highjack a thread just trying to keep the JO trade rumors in one thread. :cool:

Los Angeles
02-17-2006, 01:47 PM
I don't have anything intelligent to add, so I'll just say this:

I hate bull**** articles like this. No sources, no journalism, no spine. Talk to me when actual news happens.

Moses
02-17-2006, 01:48 PM
Don't the bulls have the Knicks pick this year? I think it's the Knicks pick. If so, then I would consider this trade.

bnd45
02-17-2006, 01:58 PM
Name 5 big men you would want over him?

Garnett?
Duncan?
Amare?
Bosh?
D.Howard?
Frye?
Kirlenko?
Webber?
Dirk?
Al Jefferson?
Gasol?
Okafor?

Not sure if you were being serious with this list, but I'll start by taking all of them over JO except Frye, C-Webb, and Jefferson. I'm hoping we get real involved if KG goes on the trading block. We have the pieces in JO and Tinsley.

Deadshot
02-17-2006, 01:59 PM
lmao Kirk Hinrich and a draft pick for one of the best big men in the NBA. Lets give them Danny too to make it sweater.

If the deal is made, they shouldn't need one since it will be in the summer ;)

Ultimate Frisbee
02-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Do we really need another point guard? If we get Hinrich (who I like a lot), we should trade away Tinsley IMO...

The logistics of this trade just don't work unless the Bulls trade their whole team to us or if we get Tim Thomas before the end of the season as cap relief...

EDIT:

Does anyone know how much Tyson Chandler makes?

FrenchConnection
02-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Not sure if you were being serious with this list, but I'll start by taking all of them over JO except Frye, C-Webb, and Jefferson. I'm hoping we get real involved if KG goes on the trading block. We have the pieces in JO and Tinsley.

I would add Okafor to the list of players that I would take JO over, but yeah, in general I agree with you.

Shade
02-17-2006, 02:28 PM
yeah right. JO doesnt even compare with garnett. maybe dirk but not garnett. and if they traded JO to the bulls that would be the dumbest thing this team has done since january 25th when they traded for peja instead of going after troy murphy or pietrus. now that would have been a fantasic move for the pacers. now they are stuck with peja who is most likely going to chicago anyway because there are a ton of serbians there. plus him and scot skiles are good friends from the past. and another problem is peja is going to want the max.:laugh: that would be funny if him and JO go to chicago thats for sure.

I know you hate Peja, but he's infinitely better than Troy Murphy. :puke:

Slick Pinkham
02-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Lets not forget the Bulls pick will likely be around the 7th to 10th pick considering the odds.

It's the Knicks pick (Curry trade).

They have the second most ping-pong balls right now, but they are a threat to fall below the Bobcats, one game "ahead" of them in the ping-pong ball battle.

If the standings stay the same, the pick can be no worse than #5 and more likely higher.

CableKC
02-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Okay....if we are to entertain this speculation....I would hope that we get more then just the Knicks 1st round pick ( likely a top 3 ) and Hinrich.

I would want to get back either Gordon, Deng or Nocioni as well.....more then likely Gordon since he's a shooting Guard.....keeping either SJax or trading him away to make salary cap space.

If it does happen...I would hope that it would allow us to clear enough space to resign ( at least ) Freddie and Peja.

Young
02-17-2006, 03:20 PM
JO isn't going anywhere although even I have to admit that a top pick and Hinrich isn't that bad for JO once you consider JO's injurie problems and contract.

317Kim
02-17-2006, 03:39 PM
This is humerous..right? :shudder:

and not only that they mention JO, it's Danger too. I'd have to say that the idea of losing JO AND Danger is just :tongue: with a splash of :growl:

SoupIsGood
02-17-2006, 04:08 PM
I really like the idea of a top 5 pick. You usually needs those sorts of picks to land superstars, and more often that not you need superstars to win it all...... but for JO? That'd be a huge gamble, whoever they pick had better be worth it.

But this article is BS anyway, so who cares

Will Galen
02-17-2006, 04:31 PM
I've been wanting to read some good trade rumors, but HAHA, this one is crazy.

indytoad
02-17-2006, 05:15 PM
I really like the idea of a top 5 pick. You usually needs those sorts of picks to land superstars, and more often that not you need superstars to win it all...... but for JO? That'd be a huge gamble, whoever they pick had better be worth it.

Plus it's kinda hard to forget what happened last time we had a top-five pick...

IndyToad
Yes

cariocapacer
02-17-2006, 05:18 PM
I like this idea. In addition to getting Heinrich and the #1, you basically get the money to sign a mid-level guy (and there have been some decent ones every year) and the chance to move Tinsley for another piece of the puzzle.

I give it about a 3% chance of happening though.

Anthem
02-17-2006, 06:17 PM
In case I wasn't clear earlier...

While I'm not against moving Jermaine in the right circumstances, this move would be assinine.

SycamoreKen
02-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Now if Greg Oden had been able to come out this year that #1-2 pick would be a little more attractive. I'm not sure it's a good move as it stands.

Pacersfan46
02-17-2006, 08:10 PM
This is humerous..right? :shudder:

and not only that they mention JO, it's Danger too. I'd have to say that the idea of losing JO AND Danger is just :tongue: with a splash of :growl:

They mention Granger as a canidate for breakout in the 2nd half. Not someone they're looking to trade.

Tim
02-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Tim, thanks for posting that. Some pretty funny stuff.

Hey, haven't seen your name on the forum party list yet. What's the holdup?

If I commit now it just gives Shade more time to prepare jokes about me.

Harmonica
02-17-2006, 08:51 PM
yeah right. JO doesnt even compare with garnett. maybe dirk but not garnett. and if they traded JO to the bulls that would be the dumbest thing this team has done since january 25th when they traded for peja instead of going after troy murphy or pietrus. now that would have been a fantasic move for the pacers. now they are stuck with peja who is most likely going to chicago anyway because there are a ton of serbians there. plus him and scot skiles are good friends from the past. and another problem is peja is going to want the max.:laugh: that would be funny if him and JO go to chicago thats for sure.

Tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic...

Kegboy
02-17-2006, 09:15 PM

Oh, Tim, Burlington's been old news ever since UB jumped off the bridge. The "in thing" now is making fun of Shade's anorexia!

Tim
02-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Oh, Tim, Burlington's been old news ever since UB jumped off the bridge. The "in thing" now is making fun of Shade's anorexia!

Okay then count me in, I am going!!!

KINGS FAN
02-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic... toc toc toc toc toc.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bball
02-18-2006, 04:27 AM
We had a top 5 pick in the draft not too long ago...
Hopefully, if that type of thing ever happens again, it won't be a knee jerk reaction but instead will be a well thought out and researched pick.

Hopefully....

-Bball

PacerMan
02-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Anybody that thinks an ok PG and a lottery pick is going to get you one of the best low post threats in the league is smoking or drinking some good stuff!!
(Darko was the #2 pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Reddick WILL be good, maybe a star.

Shade
02-18-2006, 11:56 AM

I wouldn't worry too much, Tim. It's not like we can trade Al again. ;)

Shade
02-18-2006, 11:57 AM

:tongue:

Just wait until I put on some muscle... :flex: :boxer:

Kegboy
02-18-2006, 01:27 PM
:tongue:

Just wait until I put on some muscle... :flex: :boxer:

Uh huh. I wonder if I can get Lorne Michaels to come. He did such a good job with Lindsay's intervention.