PDA

View Full Version : When are you guys available for the VOICE CHAT test?

rabid
02-16-2006, 03:19 PM
OK folks, the "test" during the Pistons game a few weeks ago fell flat. Let's try this again.

A few posters indicated that they's like to participate in the testing of live voice chat during a game. Specifically, those interested users included:

btowncolt
cablekc
moses
rcarey
mugsy27

Others are of course welcome.
------------------------------

Here's what I want to do. During the rookie/sophomore game on TNT this Friday night (9PM ET), I'd like to get a bunch of us online and try some freewheelin' chat and commentary just to see how it goes.

Then, based on how it goes, I will start "official" testing of this next week for some actual Pacers games (by "official" I mean that you all will need to read a webpage and click "I Agree," and I will record the audio of the chat session so that I can use it for my research).

LATER, I will use the info from these sessions, along with the surveys I've been doing, to start designing an in-game app for us fans to use while watching games (see the poll #2 thread for more info).

------------------------------------------------------------
So, if you want to give this a shot (please do!), here's how it will work:

- Download and install Yahoo Messenger with Voice (http://messenger.yahoo.com/) from Yahoo! (I've picked this as a starting-off point becuase it's free and the system seems to work well, and there's a Pacers room set up there already).

- At about 8:45, open the chat rooms menu and navigate your way to the Pacers room (I think it's Entertainment and Sports / National Basketball Association / Indiana Pacers).

- You will need a microhone and a way to listen in. Ideally, if you own a headset, you should use that. However, a microphone and headphones will work just as well. If you have no other choice, you can use your computer speakers, though I don't recommend it (potential echo and noise issues).

- If possible, make sure you can watch the game while you're using the chat. The whole thing is kind of pointless if the chat is preventing you from being able to see your tv (I'm going to be using a 15' RCA extension cable so that I can watch the game on my couch while using the headset).

- The yahoo chat system allows for text-based chat as well. By all means, use it if you want.

---------------------------------------------------

Please RSVP on this. It's be really cool to have at least 8-10 people using the system.

If anyone has further thoughts or suggestions on how to make this work, or would like to suggest a different time/game to test this out on, feel free. I am very much open to suggestions!!! Thanks.

btowncolt
02-16-2006, 03:26 PM
I can't help out with this one, sorry. Another time, maybe. Good luck!

CableKC
02-16-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm on the West coast....so at 9pm EST / 6pm PST...I will likely be in rush hour traffic trying to get home. I will try to get home and try to connect....but I'm not sure if I will be able to make it in time.....so ( sorry ) no guarantees on my end.

Minor suggestion.....you may want to include some specific instructions on how to get to the chat room on the Yahoo end so that you can open it up to anyone else.

Also...is the Chat room a public chat room...or is it a specific chat room for us PD folks?

rabid
02-16-2006, 03:57 PM
It's a public chat room. Also, if time constraints end up being an issue, I'd be perfectly willing to try it some other time (all star game for example).

Heck, for this one it technically doesnt even have to be during a game, I just want to see if the system works technically well.

Do you guys have alternate time suggestions?

CableKC
02-16-2006, 04:38 PM
I don't know about timing.....but I did notice that there is an option in Yahoo IM to do a IM Conference where you invite people yourself with an added "Voice option".

I don't know what the limit of people that you can invite and how it would subsequently affect any voice chat with multiple people...but you can look into that as well as a 1st test with a small "private group".

I've tried the Yahoo chat ( with 2 way IM messaging but not through IM Conference....which may be different ) option before.....and it works okay....but not great. Sometimes the voices sound choppy and I ran into some firewall issues.

sweabs
02-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Unfortunately I won't be able to do this one either. Bad timing :(

Gotta finish a 20 page historiographical paper first...

SamBear
02-16-2006, 09:03 PM
So is this in the yahoo chatrooms or the chatroom here?

rabid
02-16-2006, 10:02 PM
So is this in the yahoo chatrooms or the chatroom here?

Neither. This is part of Yahoo! Messenger, which is an application you have to download and install, kind of like AOL Instant Messenger.

rabid
02-16-2006, 10:03 PM
So, for those of you that say "the timing is bad, I can't do it -" when IS a good time? If nobody wants to do this tomorrow night then we won't do it.

But I need alternate times from you guys so that we can figure something out. Otherwise I'm just totally guessing every time, which is frustrating.

SoupIsGood
02-17-2006, 12:30 AM
I MAY be able to do it tommorow. I have people to avoid and responsiblites to shirk, that could be a pretty nifty way of doing it. Not sure though

sweabs
02-17-2006, 01:23 AM
So, for those of you that say "the timing is bad, I can't do it -" when IS a good time? If nobody wants to do this tomorrow night then we won't do it.

But I need alternate times from you guys so that we can figure something out. Otherwise I'm just totally guessing every time, which is frustrating.

Next weekend is good for me. Not sure if that helps or not...

CableKC
02-17-2006, 01:49 PM
RabidPacersFan....maybe it would be easier to start this off with 2 or 3 people when there is a game on ESPN next week just to test out the voice chat part.

Also...I am sure that there will be more then a few of us that will be available next week when the Pistons play the Pacers on TNT Thursday.

Heck....even if you wanted to....I can try to do a quick test on Yahoo IM this afternoon. You just need 3 ( not 2 ) people to do a preliminary test to see how Yahoo IM with voice works with multiple people.

rabid
02-17-2006, 03:31 PM
RabidPacersFan....maybe it would be easier to start this off with 2 or 3 people when there is a game on ESPN next week just to test out the voice chat part.

Also...I am sure that there will be more then a few of us that will be available next week when the Pistons play the Pacers on TNT Thursday.

Heck....even if you wanted to....I can try to do a quick test on Yahoo IM this afternoon. You just need 3 ( not 2 ) people to do a preliminary test to see how Yahoo IM with voice works with multiple people.

This is true. I will be home around 7 Indiana time, so we can test it out then if we want. I'll post an announcement in this thread when I get near the computer.

Able has also apparently set up a teamspeak server as well, so that's an option going into next week.

btowncolt
02-17-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm pretty much out of commision for at least the next two weeks. The next time there's a national TV Pacer game, I'll get back to you.

btowncolt
02-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Make that out for another two weeks after this. Have to go to New York for a bit. They need a peon for a conference.

able
02-22-2006, 06:53 PM
if of any interest:

The teamspeak server has been set up indeed, but as a "closed" server, which means that I have to add members before they get access.

One of the reasons for this is the license on the software.

those who want to use this, and thus want registration, pm me username and I will pm you a password and details in return.