PDA

View Full Version : Need help from Bloomingtonites

McClintic Sphere
02-16-2006, 10:11 AM
The wife and I were planning on going down (Sun.-Mon.) to Brown co./Bloomington, sans the children. Wanted to do some browsing and shopping at some point. We prefer bohemian-type independent stores, record shops, ethnic restaurants, etc. Is there a good locale for that type of thing? It's been forever and a day since I was in Bloomington. Thanks in advance.

Slick Pinkham
02-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Have a steak dinner at Janko's Little Zagreb's, west 6th street I think.

Not fancy-- picnic tables covered with newspaper. But some of the best steaks ever, at a FRACTION of the price you'd pay at at snooty place in Indy.

I haven't been to Bloomington in 10 years, though. I'm assuming that it's still good. Then walk over a block or so to The Crazy Horse for a beer, or to the Irish Lion where you can get it by the half yard.

shopping and music I can't say. been too long...

Vicious Tyrant
02-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Sounds like you want to hang around Kirkwood (5th Street). I don't know how familiar you are with the town, but its where most of the college/hipster type spots are. If you can find the town square (around 5th and Walnut), its the next couple blocks to the east.

Jankos is great, but also consider 4th Steet, a block south of the Kirkwood scene. That's where you'll find most of your ethnic restuarants - Great Indian buffet, Thai, Tibetan, Turkish, yada yada yada....

Of course, from what I know about you, you might be more comfortable at Applebee's over at the College Mall. Then its off for a day of browsing really unique, quaint shops like Old Navy and Hollister. There's even a Best Buy across the street. Right up your alley...

Seriously, just find the Kirkwood area and start walking around (dress appropriately), you'll find a good number of shops that are fun to hang around. Maybe I'll see you out there!

Brown County State Park is, indeed, great for outdoors. There's also McCormack's Creek Park over by Elletsville. Smaller, but a really nice park for scenery.

Have fun.

Pig Nash
02-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Trojan Horse, all I got to say. GREAT food.

18to88
02-16-2006, 09:03 PM
The wife and I were planning on going down (Sun.-Mon.) to Brown co./Bloomington, sans the children. Wanted to do some browsing and shopping at some point. We prefer bohemian-type independent stores, record shops, ethnic restaurants, etc. Is there a good locale for that type of thing? It's been forever and a day since I was in Bloomington. Thanks in advance.

I'm unfortunately living in Bloomington but I'm not in to the hippie stuff. I would have to agree with the Kirkwood part. They have a lot of stores there. For ethnic food go to Chipotle because chains are the way to go. There is a record shop or two also on Kirkwood. If you are the hippie type, you'll be in heaven in downtown Bloomington.

McClintic Sphere
02-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Sounds like you want to hang around Kirkwood (5th Street). I don't know how familiar you are with the town, but its where most of the college/hipster type spots are. If you can find the town square (around 5th and Walnut), its the next couple blocks to the east.

Jankos is great, but also consider 4th Steet, a block south of the Kirkwood scene. That's where you'll find most of your ethnic restuarants - Great Indian buffet, Thai, Tibetan, Turkish, yada yada yada.....

Mmmmm. Sounds delicioso. I may put on 30lbs this weekend. Thanks for giving me the 20 of the cognisciente.

Of course, from what I know about you, you might be more comfortable at Applebee's over at the College Mall. Then its off for a day of browsing really unique, quaint shops like Old Navy and Hollister. There's even a Best Buy across the street. Right up your alley....

I'm trying to escape McSuburbia, not further immerse myself in it's disposable homogeneity.

Seriously, just find the Kirkwood area and start walking around (dress appropriately), you'll find a good number of shops that are fun to hang around. Maybe I'll see you out there!

Will you be on the street with an open guitar case for change and be playing the bygone hits of Joan Baez and Richard Farina? I'll look for you out there. Seriously, thanks for the info. It should be fun.

btowncolt
02-17-2006, 09:32 AM
I think I may still have some connections to a hippie drum circle or two. Might be just your thing. Let me know if it's of interest.

McClintic Sphere
02-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Why, thanks Btown. Should I bring my hookah or do they already have one?

http://www.hookah-shisha.com/Images/HookahSection.jpg

Vicious Tyrant
02-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Ah, for hookahs, it sounds like you're looking for Amused Clothing, a block south of restaurant row. You'll get to meet lots of my clients....

And hey now, the mall sounds perfect for you! ;)

brichard
02-17-2006, 11:30 AM
I agree with all posted. I don't live in B'town now, but I just moved back to Indy about 5 years ago.

Jankos- Awesome Steak.

Crazy Horse- Right around the corner from Jankos. Good food and lots of import beer to choose from.

Irish Lion- This is also right by Crazy Horse. They have good food and sell yards of beer... if you are into that.

Trojan Horse- Great Greek food. I love the hummus and pita and they serve hot baklava. Good stuff.

Michael's Uptown Cafe- If you like atmosphere, this place has it. A very artsy feel, but the food is nice. Much of the other places offer good food, but the atmosphere isn't there. I love Janko's, but it is basically a hole in the wall with great food. If you get something besides steak and you like spicy, the Meatballs Bucharest is pretty good.

4th Street is Ethnic restaurant row. Puccini's is pretty good Italian if they are still there.

Nick's- I'm sure this was around when you were there, but not really a family joint. You can't go wrong with some Nick's strombolis and some Bass ale.

:cheers:

btowncolt
02-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Really, I would love to help you out McSphere.

But the four years I was down there I couldn't afford food or clothes. Only electronics to later sell on ebay.

Vicious Tyrant
02-17-2006, 11:45 AM
I was at the library last night with the kids and drove around scouting out some recommendations for you, don't say I never did anything for you.

Here's my recommendations per my guess about what you'd like:

Siam House, corner of 4th and Dunn. Thai with a great buffet.

Bombay House, two restuarants down from Siam House - even better buffet for Indian.

Yatz, block south of 4th and Grant. Cajun, fun place. I believe this is a chain, but its fun.

Shanti, half block north of Kirkwood and Lincoln (next to the library, hidden behind Dharma Emporium). Good Indian, I don't think they do a buffet.

Snow Lion, Half block south of Kirkwood and Grant. Tibetan, I don't like this place, but its popular. You might ask why eat Tibetan food? Maybe people like curdled yak milk, I don't know so don't ask me...

Samira. Northeast side of the town square (Kirkwood and Walnut). Middle Eastern, more upscale than the other spots, yum!

Hope it helps! Don't forget Chili's out by the mall! Might be better for you!

btowncolt
02-17-2006, 11:56 AM
No Snow Lion! It's terrible. Little Tibet is very close by, and about a million times better.

McClintic Sphere
02-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Thanks guys, for all the great recommendations. I'm gonna have to print this thread out so I can refer to it when I'm in location. Good thing I'll be in the area 2 days. I'm starting to get cravings right now. I'm not gonna get caught up in any rioting fallout from the Mike Davis situation am I, with pro and anti factions battling it out on the streets?

Vicious Tyrant
02-21-2006, 01:57 PM
So how was your trip?

Dab
02-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Have a steak dinner at Janko's Little Zagreb's, west 6th street I think.

Not fancy-- picnic tables covered with newspaper. But some of the best steaks ever, at a FRACTION of the price you'd pay at at snooty place in Indy.

I haven't been to Bloomington in 10 years, though. I'm assuming that it's still good. Then walk over a block or so to The Crazy Horse for a beer, or to the Irish Lion where you can get it by the half yard.

Sad news from Bloomington, as the owner of Janko's was found dead at his home.

http://www.sockpuppets4.us/iust/gn/IUgn.2006-02-21.HT.htm

which is a facsimile of

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2006/02/21/news.new.1140497148.sto?printf=1

Vicious Tyrant
02-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Oh my gosh... I haven't seen a paper today. That's just terrible.

McClintic Sphere
02-22-2006, 10:21 AM
So how was your trip?

It was really fun. Went in to Nashville, on Sun.Night to some little restaurant/bar. Great pizza and the Upland Wheat beer: yummmmy. And watched Olympic curling. Monday we just walked around Bloomington. Hit all the stores around Kirkwood Ave. and the County square and stopped by(Bloomingfoods?) store on the way back to the Abe Martin lodge. Ate at Little Tibet(thanks Btowncolt), very tasty and filling. I showed your picture to some kids at Amused Clothing and asked,"Do you know this man?" Cleared the place out instantly. They didn't know you as Vicious Tyrant, but apparently found the description to be appropriate.
On Tuesday, it was off to hiking at Brown Co. Despite being a fabulous day in the 40's, we pretty much had the park to ourselves. Did trails 4/5 and 8. In between these excursions, the wife and I pretty much did the rock star treatment to the lodge accomodations and are likely wanted now in Monroe County. Enough info?

Edit: Man that is wild about the owner of Little Zagreb's. We parked right next to that place and saw two employees entering while seemingly carefree. Too weird.

btowncolt
02-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Man, I miss Little Tibet. I'd make a trip down to Bloomington if I'm ever home just for that.

The college girls would have no influence on that decision.

Glad to hear your trip went well.

McClintic Sphere
02-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Man, I miss Little Tibet. I'd make a trip down to Bloomington if I'm ever home just for that.

Yeah, and if you show up at 2:45pm on a cold Winter Monday afternoon, you can be guaranteed prompt service. I had the Sab Sabji(sp?), mixed vegetarian curry on rice, spicy style, recommended by the waiter. Needless to say, I left him a nice gratuity.
BTW, the community radio station down there is quite good, too. 91.3 WFHB. They were playing Thievery Corporation and other eclectic stuff never to be heard on the airwaves in Indy. Too bad their broadcast radius seemed to be about 30 miles.