PDA

View Full Version : Two interesting moves by Rick

McKeyFan
02-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Last night, Rick made two moves that, in my opinion, are very encouraging.

1. He yanked Jax in the first three minutes after several turnovers, missed defensive assignments, and bad shots.

I don't think Rick does this apart from lots of criticism lately of Jackson.

2. He left Saras in until the end of the game. Ironically, Saras wasn't playing his best and AJ was playing great last night. But we did win, we kept our 8-10 lead the entire time, and we won the game. (Those we say Saras is a winner can use this game as ammo.)

I also don't think Rick makes this move unless he has heard or read crticism about pulling Saras at the end of the Spurs game.

Interesting developments. Makes me proud to be a PD member. ;)

sixthman
02-16-2006, 09:00 AM
I also give props to Rick for handling this team well last night.

On a night when the swing players were having a hard time making a shot, other facets of the game were not affected, maybe even improved.

While I don't like seeing Saras and AJ as a tandem usually, it worked last night for Rick. Your point about the uncharacteristic lineup changes is a good one and, as you say, an "interesting development".

MagicRat
02-16-2006, 09:28 AM
It was interesting, because before the ball got through the net on Peja's dunk that put the Pacers up by 12, Rick motioned down the bench for AJ. It was almost like a reflex action. The Bucks called a timeout and Rick seemed to forget that he wanted AJ in, so just as the ball was about to be put in play, AJ hustled to the scorer's table but they didn't let him in.

I thought for sure he was getting Sarunas, but he got David instead. Made me scratch my head, but it worked out.....

Unclebuck
02-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Two points

Yes Saras did finish the game, but AJ was on the court as well. Fred and jax were on the bench apparently thinking about their week off.

I seriously doubt Rick changed the subst. pattern based on criticism. In fact if he did, I don't want him as coach anymore. Certainly he needs to take imput from his assistant coaches, his players, maybe Bird and DW. But if anything the fans or media say has any influence what-so-ever on what Rick does, then he needs to be fired right now.

Will Galen
02-16-2006, 10:14 AM
But if anything the fans or media say has any influence what-so-ever on what Rick does, then he needs to be fired right now.

Disagree completely!

A five year old can sometimes say something that will make you rethink your position.

The point is, Rick is the one that decides on what advice he wants to take. No doubt he ignores what most fans say, but if a fan says something that Rick takes to heart, more power to him!

In other words, whatever works.

RWB
02-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Hey it only takes one fan to persuade Rick to change his mind. Of course that fan having the name LBird may make a difference.

Major Cold
02-16-2006, 10:48 AM
in case you guys forgot the bucks game earlier in teh season. We were up and did not have good ft shooters in. Jasi is a super ft shooter. He needed to be in

McKeyFan
02-16-2006, 11:01 AM
I seriously doubt Rick changed the subst. pattern based on criticism. In fact if he did, I don't want him as coach anymore. Certainly he needs to take imput from his assistant coaches, his players, maybe Bird and DW. But if anything the fans or media say has any influence what-so-ever on what Rick does, then he needs to be fired right now.

Geez, settle down a little.

How could you not want him to listen to criticism? That's an important quality for any person in any position. I agree, you don't kowtow to criticism all the time. But maxims on the importance of listening to quality criticism are as old as the bible.

And, yes, I happen to think that much of PD criticism is "quality criticism."

;)

Jermaniac
02-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Two points

Yes Saras did finish the game, but AJ was on the court as well. Fred and jax were on the bench apparently thinking about their week off.

I seriously doubt Rick changed the subst. pattern based on criticism. In fact if he did, I don't want him as coach anymore. Certainly he needs to take imput from his assistant coaches, his players, maybe Bird and DW. But if anything the fans or media say has any influence what-so-ever on what Rick does, then he needs to be fired right now.I dont think Master Carlisle is going to like this post. We dont like talking bad about Master Ricky round here.

SwissExpress
02-16-2006, 11:31 AM

I agree. That would be quite the opposite of what I think of Carlisle, and it would be very dissapointing.

BillS
02-16-2006, 11:45 AM

To a certain extent I disagree.

A knee-jerk reaction would certainly be wrong, but if you (and this includes the organization as a whole) are the only one seeing the reason in acting a certain way there are really only two explanations:

- you haven't explained yourself well enough
- you're wrong

While you wouldn't make the change without talking to your advisors or running it through your own knowledge base, listening to opinions outside your normal contacts make sure you aren't being blinded by common assumptions.

It is very possible that one of many reasons things might change would be due to heavy discussion in the media/fan world.

sixthman
02-16-2006, 11:53 AM

The important thing is that Rick appears to have adjusted. And, agreed, that, of course, it wasn't because of what the fans thought.

That he review each game and adjust after getting input from Pacers staff is all we can ask. This was Milwaukee after all - a team against whom we let one get away with bad free throw shooting in crunch time. This time the personnel was different and there was no worry free throw shooting was going to cost a win. Another advantage of Peja is that he changes that dynamic greatly.

Bball
02-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Two points

If he did it because that is what the fans want then of course I agree with you. But I, like you, doubt that is the case. He probably saw the saw the same thing the fans saw and adjusted his thinking. I suppose there is a chance some of it filtered back to him and maybe he thought about it and agreed in some form or another but I doubt he did anything simply to appease the fans and doubt he ever would in a game that was in any doubt what-so-ever.

-Bball

CableKC
02-16-2006, 01:56 PM
I also don't think Rick makes this move unless he has heard or read crticism about pulling Saras at the end of the Spurs game.

Me thinks that Rick must have been checking out PD lately.....:laugh:

McKeyFan
02-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Rick actually said in the press conference that Saras struggled but "his energy juiced us."

So he agrees with many on this board that Saras brings a motivation intangible.

Bball
02-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Rick actually said in the press conference that Saras struggled but "his energy juiced us."

So he agrees with many on this board that Saras brings a motivation intangible.

That's what I've been saying... to get the maximum benefit from a player like Sarunas the fans and coaching are going to have to live with some things. IMHO the positives will easily outweigh the negatives. I think most of the fans are easily willing to do that... I've had questions about whether a conservative coach like Carlisle would tho. ...or if a happy medium could be struck between Carlisle and Sarunas.

-Bball

Knucklehead Warrior
02-16-2006, 02:42 PM
The guy has a coaching staff he can listen to which has more collective bball knowledge and experience than all the combined forces of any fan base.
I'm perpetually amazed by people who don't understand this.

McKeyFan
02-16-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm perpetually amazed by people who don't understand this.

What a great life.

Pass me some.

denyfizle
02-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Jack was not in the end game coz of injury. Of course we won!!!

MagicRat
02-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Jack was not in the end game coz of injury. Of course we won!!!

I'm pretty sure Stephen played the last six and a half minutes or so......

Gyron
02-16-2006, 04:21 PM
I read he played in the end, even with blurred vision after being poked in the eye but I didn't see the game, so I can't be sure.

fwpacerfan
02-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Last night, Rick made two moves that, in my opinion, are very encouraging.

1. He yanked Jax in the first three minutes after several turnovers, missed defensive assignments, and bad shots.

I don't think Rick does this apart from lots of criticism lately of Jackson.

2. He left Saras in until the end of the game. Ironically, Saras wasn't playing his best and AJ was playing great last night. But we did win, we kept our 8-10 lead the entire time, and we won the game. (Those we say Saras is a winner can use this game as ammo.)

Interesting developments. Makes me proud to be a PD member. ;)

If Rick is making his game decisions based on what the newspapers, fans and members of this board are saying then this team is doomed to fail. I agree with the moves he made last night but I firmly believe Rick did so because he now has the flexibility/bodies to do so. I don't think he gives a hoot what the media or the fans think about it.

Unclebuck
02-16-2006, 04:24 PM
Jax played part of the last six minutes, but I think only the first 2 minutes of the last 6 minutes of the game.

Is that confusing. it wasn't in my head , but reading it sounds confusing.