PDA

View Full Version : Reuters}Jasikevicius laments league's business-oriented attitude

blow
02-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Have a good read. For the first time Sarunas is talking not of the lack of team play, but of all-business attitude in the NBA.

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=sportsNews&storyID=uri:2006-02-15T010047Z_01_L10555854_RTRUKOC_0_US-NBA-JASIKEVICIUS.xml&pageNumber=0&summit=

Jasikevicius laments league's business-oriented attitude

By Steve Ginsburg

WASHINGTON (Reuters)

Sarunas Jasikevicius, who waited nearly a decade to join the NBA, says the league's emphasis on money is draining his enthusiasm.
"I was surprised the NBA is much more a business-oriented situation," the Indiana Pacers guard told Reuters.
"It's not so much pure basketball, like we play in Europe, like we played in college. Here, it's a business first of all.
"That's bad. It takes away a lot from the game, the love of the game. It's my first time like this," said the Lithuanian.
But Jasikevicius, a journeyman college performer at Maryland who became a top player in Europe, concedes the NBA is "something very special".
"The best players are here," he said. "You get to compete against the best players every night. The change of scenery all the time, traveling. It can be pretty exciting."
Few expected the 6-foot-4, 195-pound guard to make it to the NBA after a solid yet unspectacular college career in which he averaged 12 points as a senior at Maryland.
Even Jasikevicius believed he was not NBA material and went home in 1998 to play in Lithuania one year and Slovenia for another while honing his game to become more than simply a jump shooter.
Jasikevicius then joined Barcelona for three seasons, earning widespread praise while winning one Euroleague and two Spanish League titles.

GOOD ENOUGH
Maccabi captured his services for two seasons, a move that paid off for the Tel Aviv squad with two Euroleague championships.

"Coming out of college, I always said I wasn't good enough to play in the NBA," he said.
"But later I thought I was good enough. There was just not a single opportunity.
"In the last couple of years, the opportunity presented itself again and, as a European basketball player, it was the only thing that was left for me."
Clearly helping him in the eyes of NBA scouts were his performances in three games against the United States in the 2000 and 2004 Olympics when he averaged 23 points.
Pacers president Larry Bird was unconcerned about signing a 29-year-old rookie to a three-year, $12 million contract.
"His age didn't matter," Bird told Reuters. "Not for us. It wasn't even a factor.
"He plays the game the way it's supposed to be played. He's a team player.
"In this league the guys are bigger, stronger and quicker. He's getting better every night."
After his Olympic heroics, Jasikevicius became hot property and signed with Indiana after being approached by at least five NBA clubs.
Pacers coach Rick Carlisle says Jasikevicius is "getting better every game because he's learning more about the league, learning more about his team".

TOUGH LEAGUE
"This league is tough," said Carlisle. "Every minute you're on the court, you're under duress because it's very competitive.

"Every minute you're out there, you're going to become a better player and he's done that."
Jasikevicius is averaging nearly nine points and 3.2 assists for the Pacers, who were considered a pre-season powerhouse.
But injuries and the controversy over disgruntled All-Star Ron Artest has left the team hovering around the .500 mark.
When he was coming out of college, it was said Jasikevicius was too slow. Carlisle, though, believes he atones for any perceived weaknesses.
"Any physical limitations he has, he makes up for with effort, knowledge of the game and studying his opponents," he said.
"He's spent a lot of time watching film of upcoming opponents so he knows what the guy's strengths, weaknesses and tendencies are.
"That's a sign of a guy that's a real student of the game. Probably a future coach, if he wants to do that."
Jasikevicius said he was unconcerned about statistics, he simply wants to win.
Now that Artest has been traded by the team, the Pacers guard is hoping things will settle down.
"I just really love that I'm on the court there every night competing and trying to help the team," he said.
"I'm more comfortable every day with the system, with the NBA, with everything that goes on here.
"I think the gap between European and international players is not as big as it used to be," he added. "I think in seven or eight years you're going to see the NBA being half international, half Americans."

Peck
02-15-2006, 04:23 PM
While I have no qualms with his on court play, I don't see him as anything special but I do think he is a good player, I can not stand the way the guy runs his mouth.

STFU & play the game.

Every single time I see some interview with him from anywhere but here it is about how he thinks this is wrong with the NBA or that is wrong with the NBA. Nobody held a gun to his head & made him sign a contract. Nobody will hold a gun to his head if he decides tonight to just leave his contract & go a back over seas. I'm sure there are plenty of teams that would gladly take him & pay him more money than he gets here.

I know I am about to be attacked by our friends from across the pond so in advance let me say I'm sorry for offending you. But this guy talks way to much for a rookie for my taste.

efx
02-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Thing is though, while he is a rookie he's a 29 year old rookie who has played pro-basketball for a long time. I believe he's seen enough of the sports world to qualify him as someone who could make these comments without coming across as not knowhing what he's talking about.

I think alot of people would have less of a problem with an american player saying this but I personally think his comments goes beyond something that warrants a love-it-or-leave-it response.

blow
02-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Generally I agree with you, Peck. But Saras is a special rookie (not a special player). He's been the best in Europe and every reporter talking to him in the States or in Europe would ask questions about the differences between NBA and European ball. It's natural. And talking too much is rookie style, especially for Saras. However, if you're a team player and you want more passion, do it: on the court, during the training sessions, in the dressing room first, then go talk to the media. Team play is team business first.

Moses
02-15-2006, 04:41 PM
While I have no qualms with his on court play, I don't see him as anything special but I do think he is a good player, I can not stand the way the guy runs his mouth.

STFU & play the game.

Every single time I see some interview with him from anywhere but here it is about how he thinks this is wrong with the NBA or that is wrong with the NBA. Nobody held a gun to his head & made him sign a contract. Nobody will hold a gun to his head if he decides tonight to just leave his contract & go a back over seas. I'm sure there are plenty of teams that would gladly take him & pay him more money than he gets here.

I know I am about to be attacked by our friends from across the pond so in advance let me say I'm sorry for offending you. But this guy talks way to much for a rookie for my taste.
The same rookie that torched our olympic team..but nonetheless..I can understand where he's coming from. This is a guy that came to the NBA, not for money or stardom, but a chance to compete against the best in the world night in and night out.

DeS
02-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Peck, You are not offending us (me at least). But You've got to live with it. You are looking at him from rookie POV. But Saras is Saras. Of course, sometimes we also would like him to STFU&play the game, but we're ok as long as he wins for us (and foreign teams) important games (the game is more important the better he plays). Too bad (and i'm feeling very sorry) You are not giving him the keys to win the games for You.

Diamond Dave
02-15-2006, 05:11 PM
The same rookie that torched our olympic team..but nonetheless..I can understand where he's coming from. This is a guy that came to the NBA, not for money or stardom, but a chance to compete against the best in the world night in and night out.

And he's proved that he can't, at least on the level he has grown accustom too, so whats the point?

I don't care if he is 29 years old. Danny Granger is 22, or something, and has shown a lot more poise and maturity than this guy.

He is an okay player. Thats it. Decent. But he is not getting any younger or better, so I don't ever expect anything more than this from him. His passing is spectacular, but his shooting is highly overrated. For the life of me I can not understand how anyone would want to turn "the keys" over to this guy. Maybe the theory is that Ron already totaled the car so whats the worst Sarunas could do?

Yes, yes, he beat the most dysfunctional selfish US basketball team ever assembled. But do you think they would have beat Detroit Pistons? The answer is no.

I'm gonna recieve so much flak for this, but after the day I've been having, I could care less.

The point is that each of his teammates could read this, and the first sentence of the article is enough for me to say I wouldn't be offended if he left. And I don't even play with the guy.

STFU.

Hicks
02-15-2006, 05:12 PM
I still think the "STFU" talk is silly. He's seen a lot more than the usual rookie, and he's age-wise in his prime. He has the right to speak. Hell I wouldn't care if Eddie Gill was saying it, let alone Sarunas.

McKeyFan
02-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Sounds like the people who don't like Saras much don't want to hear him speak out.

Personally, I REALLY LIKE the tone of his comments. He doesn't care for the money grubbing and would like to see more pure basketball.

Isn't this an Indiana forum?

Since86
02-15-2006, 05:29 PM
Of course reporters are going to ask him the what's the difference between the NBA and Europe. Is he supposed to talk about how similiar both leagues are? NO!!! That would be stupid, and lying.

When you get to see both sides, you get to say which is better in YOUR opinion. I'd much rather him talk about how the league could be better off, than have a player say a dress code is racist.

Can you atleast quote the comments that you think are out of line? There's nothing that he said that was a slam to begin with.

Kegboy
02-15-2006, 05:30 PM
:violin:

DeS
02-15-2006, 05:31 PM
I don't care if he is 29 years old. Danny Granger is 22, or something, and has shown a lot more poise and maturity than this guy.
You don't care, but media do care. There is not going anything without a reason.

His passing is spectacular, but his shooting is highly overrated. Is it? He's averaging aproximately the same percentage as he averaged in Euroleague. How it could be, that his shooting is highly overrated? He never was known as a perfect shooter.

For the life of me I can not understand how anyone would want to turn "the keys" over to this guy.
In order to win important games. The history has proven, he can do it in international competitions and EL and we will see what about NBA. I don't know if he can win it with the given "keys", but without it he's just a decent player (as You say).

Outlaw
02-15-2006, 05:47 PM
I see nothing wrong with what he said. The emphasis is money with players & Owners nowdays.It is a business in the NBA.

I can see how it (money) takes away from team first attitude.How often have we gotten upset with players (Dale Davis, B. Miller etc.) for taking the money over team or demanding a trade in order to start or play more (A.Davis A.Harrington...) It happens alot.

There is no such thing as loyalty from Management,Owners, or Players nowdays. It is hard to keep a core group of players together today for any period of time. Why ??? Agents,friends,selfishness & the such has deminished the game.IMHO

I have no problem with Sarunas talking about what is eroding the game today.:)

Jermaniac
02-15-2006, 06:02 PM
And he's proved that he can't, at least on the level he has grown accustom too, so whats the point?

He is an okay player. Thats it. Decent. But he is not getting any younger or better, so I don't ever expect anything more than this from him. His passing is spectacular, but his shooting is highly overrated. For the life of me I can not understand how anyone would want to turn "the keys" over to this guy. Maybe the theory is that Ron already totaled the car so whats the worst Sarunas could do?

Yes, yes, he beat the most dysfunctional selfish US basketball team ever assembled. But do you think they would have beat Detroit Pistons? The answer is no.

I'm gonna recieve so much flak for this, but after the day I've been having, I could care less.

The point is that each of his teammates could read this, and the first sentence of the article is enough for me to say I wouldn't be offended if he left. And I don't even play with the guy.

STFU.
Does your Dad think for both of you?

Kestas
02-15-2006, 06:03 PM

Warning: some subjective rants and pottentially provocative comparisons bellow (and some bad English as well).

first of all he told that it is dark at nigh and bright during the daytime. everybody knows that NBA is business oriented. I mean, the guy told a trivial thing. besides, i always wondered howcome in US people are so afraid to speak up? is this supposed to be the strongest democracy in the World? he isn't telling anything bad about the league, just acknowledgind the facts. besides, he always repeats how much he likes the whole thing and that it's the best league in the world, blah, blah, blah..

secondly, I think, you should not talk about what he proved or what he didn't prove. he proved he can play in NBA - that's for sure. listen to Larry Brown during the Athens Olympic games: "the guy would not be able to play in NBA". he proved already he can play in NBA. if he could elevate himself to the NBA star status, that would be a bonus, not something everyone would have expected by default! how he was presented in the begining of the season was all the PR result. what he was talking about was way lower: "I would like to try myself in this brilliant team of the most staggering of the leagues, I will play whatever small roles coach would give me, I deffinitely do not expect any sort of the starting job, blah, blah, blah..". but the press was constantly going about his supposedly brilliant shooting and his misterious "best player in Europe" status. some people might have thought he was the best player in Europe because of his shooting and that was not the case, obviously.

anyways, the game played by the Pacers and in NBA in general is different. tallent is higher, the game is just different. some time ago I wrote about former all-star and Pacer Kenny Anderson, who was signed by the team I support, Zalgiris Kaunas (Saras's home town team). the guy is still in good shape and he seems to be an excellent proffessional off the court, but what are his stats in the three games he had so far in Euroleague (one game per week is played in Euroleague)? some 15 minutes, 2 pts, 2 rbs, 1 assist, 0.3 steals, 0.6 turnovers on average. and only 2/12 FG made in these three games. he averaged much, much more for the Pacers just a few years back. and for the other team he played last season as well. why? because the game is very different in Europe. deffesne is different, more various zones is being used - Kenny can't pennetrate the way he would like to. the attitude is different - more passes are to be made before the shot, more tactics are used in each and every play. obviously, teammates are different as well. and coaches are working differently. even the hardened vetteran that is Anderson has not yet adjusted his game playing for Zalgiris for almost a month now (3 games in Euroleague and some 5 or 6 games in a local league). I have no doubt and Zalgiris coaches have no doubt that when Anderson addapts he will be a force (hopefully). the same thing is happening with Saras. right now he is doing as much as coach allows he to do (maybe tha's all he can do, but it's still to early to judge). I think Carlisle is sattisfied with him, otherwise he would not be getting those 25 or so minutes.

so, if Saras adjusts, he will prove more than you can expect. if he doesn't.. well, who cares? he's a star as he is. besides Stojakovic he is by far the best known player internationally on the Pacers roster. maybe he's not good enough for NBA and all he will do there is be a 9 pt, 3 assists backup. no one ever told he would surely be a star in NBA. just don't expect too much and maybe you'll see your expectations exceeded.

ChicagoJ
02-15-2006, 06:37 PM
"I was surprised the NBA is much more a business-oriented situation," the Indiana Pacers guard told Reuters.

"It's not so much pure basketball, like we play in Europe, like we played in college. Here, it's a business first of all.

"That's bad. It takes away a lot from the game, the love of the game."

How does he even find time to talk to the press, since he should be busy carrying everyone's gym bags and stuff to from the bus to the team's hotel, and making sure the veterans all have a snickers bar on thier chair after practice, etc.?

:shakehead

SwissExpress
02-15-2006, 06:53 PM
STFU & play the game.

this guy talks way to much for a rookie for my taste.

Pacers did not bring him in to be a rookie.

EDIT: I hope.

D-BONE
02-15-2006, 07:13 PM
I can see both sides of this. First, it would be great if the NBA weren't so much about the money. On the other hand, I also agree that Sarunas had to know what he was getting into. The reality is the league is what it is. We all follow and enjoy it despite its shortcomings. Actually, the thing I most liked was his prediction that the ration of native US to "foreign" players will be 50-50 in the future. That's cool by me. Good for the league, good for the world. I dig all the foreign players. They're good and I think they bring a lot of good things to the game, particularly fundamentals.

pacerwaala
02-15-2006, 07:29 PM

STFU & play the game.

Peck

You are being a little harsh on him. What he said is not as controversial a topic as what JO and SJax have broached - age limit and dress code respectively. He is experienced and has had success on teams that he has played on. So we should give him some leeway in making the above comments.
I would look for hidden messages that he is sending. He probably is indicating the following -

The decisons related to

1 - amount of playing time of a particular player,
2 - number of plays that are run for a certain players

is not a basketball decison but more of a business decison based on factors like contract size, popularity, first round pick, etc and not on whether a player is team oriented, works hard, etc.

I am probably reading too much into this but he might be indicating something here.

denyfizle
02-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Well he's just got to adjust. The NBA won't change for him. If he loses his enthusiasm, then I guess he just has to go back to Europe because the mental part of it is a big part of being in the NBA. We all love your game man, but yeah, like what the other guy said. STFU and play.

Moses
02-15-2006, 09:15 PM

STFU.
Because we all know European players should immediately adapt to the NBA and dominate instantly as they did in Europe. It's been half a season in a half court offense he isn't used to and in a league he isn't used to. He will never amount to more than this? I don't think you have any idea of what you are talking about.

Take a look at some of the other great foreigners in our league.(IE Ginobli) All of them had a rough rookie year.

SwissExpress
02-15-2006, 09:23 PM
I think that the next thing Saras will comment on will be the nonsense of the "STFU and play" notion. Some believes/traditions in NBA are simply strange and bad to the game. I just can't wait.

Could someone please name any examples of negative impact of his talks thus far?

Unclebuck
02-15-2006, 10:36 PM

STFU & play the game.

He really didn't say much.

brichard
02-15-2006, 10:44 PM
I think what bothers me most is that he never seems to point the finger at himself.

The NBA is not team oriented enough.

The NBA is too much about money.

I thought I wasn't good enough for the NBA, but I am.

I'd just for once here him give a conversation which was more positive than negative about the NBA. I'm not asking for him to lie about his feelings, but surely he could have more nice things to say than he does.

Chauncey
02-15-2006, 11:31 PM
I lament the fact that Saras is garbage.

Diamond Dave
02-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Its not just this article.

This was just the final straw for me. It may have been the lightest straw, but I guess thats all it took.

As a player, I'm satisfied with what he has contributed. Hell he hasn't been injured, on this team that is more than enough.

However, its his almost weekly statements about his dissappointment in the NBA. I know he is going to be asked these questions, but its a give and take relationship.

I've studied media for several years now, and I know that the reporters will go to those who give interesting material. I wouldn't want him to lie, but he could just not say as much. If he began giving vague, short answers then eventually he would stop being asked.

It seems on this board many have given him an escape route for any situation. If he screws up on the floor then he is a rookie, if he says controversial things in the press then its because he is more than just a rookie.

Is he a rookie or is he not? I can't tell sometimes.

I never expected him to be a star. He is pretty much what I expected except for his interview skills and maybe a lesser shooter.

But someone wanted a quote that was bad IMO? The first sentence is enough for me. I know he didn't say it, but his teammates can read it. It says, "Sarunas Jasikevicius, who waited nearly a decade to join the NBA, says the league's emphasis on money is draining his enthusiasm."
Almost sounds as if he doesn't like playing in the NBA, and by association, for the Pacers.

Does your Dad think for both of you?

Well if he does thats at least twice as much thinking as you do.

Sirius
02-15-2006, 11:43 PM
What he's saying makes a lot of sense actually...a ton of people it seems recently have been less and less interested in pro-sports because the main emphasis is obviously on money before everything else. I still find the NBA highly entertaining, but honestly I can see where he's coming from even from an outsiders point of view. Furthermore, it's not like this is Dwight Howard coming out of High School saying the league should be more Christian (or whatever exactly he said...), its someone that actually has quite a bit of basketball experience from all over the world.

SwissExpress
02-15-2006, 11:49 PM
I think what bothers me most is that he never seems to point the finger at himself.

The NBA is not team oriented enough.

The NBA is too much about money.

I thought I wasn't good enough for the NBA, but I am.

I'd just for once here him give a conversation which was more positive than negative about the NBA. I'm not asking for him to lie about his feelings, but surely he could have more nice things to say than he does.

Well, he does.. He says, it's the league with the most talented players. He also often used to say he likes NBA teams with "deep traditions", like Pacers and Celtics.
Personally, I think that's a very good summary of positive sides of NBA - good players and some really nice and warm stories that inspire people. I wouldn't find much more to say myself.
As regards the negative, he does not exagerate, in my opinion.

SwissExpress
02-16-2006, 12:04 AM
I know he didn't say it, but his teammates can read it.

Well, this sounded strange to me. I think there lies one more really strange notion about/tradition within the NBA. NBA seems to be composed of players who form their views from papers instead of direct communication and thinking. Well, at least it seems to be so while reading some posts. If that's true, group therapy would be the only good solution, as opposed to silence.

Diamond Dave
02-16-2006, 12:06 AM
Well, this sounded strange to me. I think there lies one more really strange notion about/tradition within the NBA. NBA seems to be composed of players who form their views from papers instead of direct communication and thinking. Well, at least it seems so while reading some posts. If that's true, group therapy would be only good solution, as opposed to silence.

Not every player on the same team has a great relationship with another.

But as far as players sending messages through the media, and not on a one on one basis.

Allow me to point you in the direction of Mr. Artest.

Bball
02-16-2006, 12:11 AM
I've read the article... and it only makes me like Sarunas as a Pacer even more. I feel so confused....

-Bball

SwissExpress
02-16-2006, 12:31 AM
But someone wanted a quote that was bad IMO? The first sentence is enough for me. I know he didn't say it, but his teammates can read it. It says, "Sarunas Jasikevicius, who waited nearly a decade to join the NBA, says the league's emphasis on money is draining his enthusiasm."

Not every player on the same team has a great relationship with another.

But as far as players sending messages through the media, and not on a one on one basis.

Allow me to point you in the direction of Mr. Artest.

You should understand that in your post above you marked some words and interpreted them rather out of context. They had nothing to do with sending a message to other Pacers' players via media. This would be rather selective interpretation; in psychological terms - paranoic.

However, if some players on the team interpreted those words in the same way you suggested and would not ask for Saras' clarification personally, my point would be that such a group had psychological problems. To solve them, they would need group therapy as opposed to silence from one or another player.

However, I do not really think those problems of miscommunication among Pacers' players exist to such extent as proposed in this thread. I understand that some players like to rely on media too much; like Artest relied on some media trade rumours while publicly demanding for a trade. However, there aren't many of such players. And they should not be on our team. And if there aren't any, there's no problem of possible misinterpretation of Saras' totally innocent statements...

Come on, even media guys did not try to interpret Saras' words as selectively as you suggested!

ChicagoJ
02-16-2006, 12:37 AM
Who gives a **** how the media interprets what he says.

What matters is how his comments are interpreted in the lockerroom.

Diamond Dave
02-16-2006, 12:37 AM
You should understand that in your post above you marked some words and interpreted them rather out of context. They had nothing to do with sending a message to other Pacers' players via media. This would be rather selective interpretation; in psychological terms - paranoic.

However, if some players on the team interpreted those words in the same way you suggested and would not ask for Saras' clarification personally, my point would be that such a group had psychological problems. To solve them, they would need group therapy as opposed to silence from one or another player.

However, I do not really think those problems of miscommunication among Pacers' players exist to such extent as proposed in this thread. I understand that some players like to rely on media too much; like Artest relied on some media trade rumours while publicly demanding for a trade. However, there aren't many of such players. And they should not be on our team. And if there aren't any, there's no problem of possible misinterpretation of Saras' totally innocent statements...

Come on, even media guys did not try to interpret Saras' words as selectively as you suggested!

Its not just about this article. If necessary tomorrow I can go back and make a compilation of all his articles and questionable statements.

You just can't say this much about your unhappiness with the league, and your situation, and not have it impact (thanks Jay) the opinions of your teammates.

I believe it was JO who said he only wants to worry about the players who want to be here.

BoomBaby31
02-16-2006, 12:49 AM
It sounds worst then it is; Jasikevicius is right the NBA is about money then basketball. It isn't about the purity of the game it is about the green in the pockets to 75% of the guys. I feel you have your true warriors and lovers of the sport but many are in it for the money. Take notice, all of this "demand" trades that happens and people doing "half-***" to get traded **cough Vince Carter cough** It is sad that someone can be so spoiled to make 60 million over 5 years and cry about where he is playing. American's are greedy greedy and it sucks but, it's the truth. I don't feel he is bashing the organization or the whole NBA it is probably totally different from Europe where most of those guys get paid a 20th of what our top guys do. If the NBA (and nfl) don't do something about these demand trades, and unhappy players the fans will start to leave slowly but surely.

Bball
02-16-2006, 12:49 AM
Who gives a **** how the media interprets what he says.

What matters is how his comments are interpreted in the lockerroom.

It looks to me like Sarunas is getting along fine with his teammates at this point...
Am I missing something?

-Bball

SwissExpress
02-16-2006, 01:01 AM
Its not just about this article. If necessary tomorrow I can go back and make a compilation of all his articles and questionable statements.

You just can't say this much about your unhappiness with the league, and your situation, and not have it impact (thanks Jay) the opinions of your teammates.

I believe it was JO who said he only wants to worry about the players who want to be here.

I believe I know quite well his statements till now, so we won't need a compilation:)

Ok. I'll restate my point once more. To begin, what you say sounds logical: that is, talking about unhappiness publicly might lead to problems in the lockerroom. It is exeplified by some situations like Artest, Shaq/Kobe, Kobe/Malone, etc. However, I don't think such comparisons are legitimate in this case. Firstly, you'd need a rather selective interpretation to find the statement "I want out of this team" in Saras' interviews; personally, I can only find "I would like this league/team to be better" statement in them. Secondly, you'd need such a person not to communicate with his teammates to a considerable extent, like Artest or Kobe. Judging from Saras' previous behavior, I'm quite sure he has repeated and explained every single of his ideas about NBA and problems in Pacers to every player in the lockerroom some 1000 times already.

As regards Jermaine... I don't see him much. I don't know how radical he is. I've heard some of his comments on racism, and they made me think he's a bit of too firm on some of his notions. However, I also think he's rather calm and communicative person. And such kind of reaction to Saras' statements as you are afraid of seems a bit of Artest-like to me. I don't believe Jermaine would ever react so paranoically.

Pacesetter
02-16-2006, 01:44 AM
Sarunas is doing what I like to see in a rookie. He's done a great job so far. His energy level is off the charts. Maybe it's just me, but everytime he steps onto the court, I think he's going to do something special and oftentimes does.

Sarunas is getting a lesson every night, as Coach Carlisle pointed out, but he's not wimping out; he's taking his lessons and learning from them. Can we really ask anything more of a rookie? For me, the desire and passion he brings every night is what I'm looking for out of a rookie.

Go Sarunas!!!!! :cool:

Arcadian
02-16-2006, 02:06 AM
I don't like that sometimes it feels like Saras holds so much disdain for the NBA--like he doesn't want to be here or thinks he is better than it.

If he feels that way that's fine. He is free to say what he wants. He certainly doesn't need anyone's permission to think, feel or comment the way he wants to.

I don't have to like it though.

Lithfan
02-16-2006, 02:57 AM
Peck

You are being a little harsh on him. What he said is not as controversial a topic as what JO and SJax have broached - age limit and dress code respectively. He is experienced and has had success on teams that he has played on. So we should give him some leeway in making the above comments.
I would look for hidden messages that he is sending. He probably is indicating the following -

The decisons related to

1 - amount of playing time of a particular player,
2 - number of plays that are run for a certain players

is not a basketball decison but more of a business decison based on factors like contract size, popularity, first round pick, etc and not on whether a player is team oriented, works hard, etc.

I am probably reading too much into this but he might be indicating something here.

Thats just ran in my mind when I read the article!

First of all, in Europe it is also business oriented. Fans are paying for the tickets, TV for games etc. So it shouldn't be too distinct in that sense. However the few rumors I've heared here on PD and even in press, say that playing time, number of plays etc., can decided by the contract and not the coach. Thats shocking and probably Saras talks about it.

fifo
02-16-2006, 03:06 AM
I don't like that sometimes it feels like Saras holds so much disdain for the NBA--like he doesn't want to be here or thinks he is better than it.

If he feels that way that's fine. He is free to say what he wants. He certainly doesn't need anyone's permission to think, feel or comment the way he wants to.

I don't have to like it though.

I can tell you NBA was a dream for Saras for all his life. No way in hell he is going back to Europe, being a competitive player as he is.
The NBA is still the 'Mecca of basketball' for the rest of the world, and the presence (and also criticism) of players like Saras only strengthen it.
The NBA won't change for Saras, but like you say - It's great to have people say what's in their heart. I'm sure his purpose was not to offend but to improve.
This guy has a big mouth though... :)

Lithfan
02-16-2006, 03:11 AM
I believe I know quite well his statements till now, so we won't need a compilation:)

Ok. I'll restate my point once more. To begin, what you say sounds logical: that is, talking about unhappiness publicly might lead to problems in the lockerroom. It is exeplified by some situations like Artest, Shaq/Kobe, Kobe/Malone, etc. However, I don't think such comparisons are legitimate in this case. Firstly, you'd need a rather selective interpretation to find the statement "I want out of this team" in Saras' interviews; personally, I can only find "I would like this league/team to be better" statement in them. Secondly, you'd need such a person not to communicate with his teammates to a considerable extent, like Artest or Kobe. Judging from Saras' previous behavior, I'm quite sure he has repeated and explained every single of his ideas about NBA and problems in Pacers to every player in the lockerroom some 1000 times already.

As regards Jermaine... I don't see him much. I don't know how radical he is. I've heard some of his comments on racism, and they made me think he's a bit of too firm on some of his notions. However, I also think he's rather calm and communicative person. And such kind of reaction to Saras' statements as you are afraid of seems a bit of Artest-like to me. I don't believe Jermaine would ever react so paranoically.

Yeah, thats true Swiss. He is not silent type. And his teammates alike journalists have probably asked him about differences several times.

So its not a message to his teammates.

Hicks
02-16-2006, 09:12 AM
The NBA isn't a shiny, happy place, folks. It seems some of you are offended that he dare not worship the league, when it does have a lot of warts. I call myself a fan, but I can see them. Sarunas is right. He's a grown man, who's seen more than your average rookie no less, and he has the right to be honest, which he did. And he did so without saying those thing in any harassing way. He did nothing wrong, and I wish more players were this honest about the NBA.

SwissExpress
02-16-2006, 10:00 AM
I think it's a good place for this quote from another thread as it answers some of the questions raized here:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/SPORTS0404/51007007

Question: Thanks for your straightforward coverage of all things Pacers. I have noticed that Sarunas is quoted fairly regularly. Is this because he is more available than some of the other players after games, or is it simply because he provides more interesting quotes? (Anderw from Indianapolis)

Answer: I like quoting Sarunas because he’s brutally honest with his thoughts. You often run into the problem of players giving the standard cliché quotes. That’s not the case with Sarunas. The best quotes on the team are Sarunas, Anthony Johnson, Austin Croshere and Jermaine O’Neal.

Julius Sour
02-16-2006, 10:00 AM
The first sentence is enough for me. I know he didn't say it, but his teammates can read it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Can they read?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Js

[me is being offensive on purpose]

Rytas_Jega
02-16-2006, 10:54 AM
NBA and Global Basketball are a bit different sports.

Kenneth Anderson makes 15.0 mpg 2.0 ppg (fg:16% tp:0/4 ft:50%) 2.0 rpg 1.0 apg 0.3 spg 2.0 fpg in Euroleague and Kaunas Zalgirs pays 400 000 dollars for that. 400 000 dollars for the name of Kenny Anderson. Point guard, NBA all-star, struggles at team which has probably the strongest frontline in the Euroleague (#1 in rebounds and blocks). Tanoka Beard makes 14.6 ppg, Darjus Lavrinovic 14.4 ppg, Paulius Jankunas 11.7 ppg).

PaceBalls
02-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Not only is he over rated, over hyped with legions of Fan Bwois, he constantly whines, criticizing the league and the style of play when he is just a decent back up PG behind our own back up PG. He needs a bite of some humble pie.

Strany
02-16-2006, 11:03 AM

STFU & play the game.

I just don't get it, you gripe about the Bunny being the Pacer's mouthpeice
and feeding us all these "all is good stories", but when a player comes out and gives a honest statement about the NBA or the team, he needs to STFU. I guess he should just feed the media with them good soft NBA quotes. "It's a wonderful league"....."Team is great"...."I love the NBA
it all about the purity of the game".
I'm glad he gives an honest assesment, cause whether you like it or accept it
the NBA is about the show not the game. Now hey I love the show, but I do know the differnece. I used to love college basketball because it was not about the show and was about the game, but that to is changing. So yeah, if you truly love pure basketball where it's about TEAM and not, how many $$
are being made, then European basketball is it.

Julius Sour
02-16-2006, 11:07 AM
I'll Show You guys how Saras can talk to Euro journalists... That's still blossoms he's given to Your press. Video with transcription.

Js

Transcription
Journalist: What You could say to those people that think that You [LTU NT] have played badly at the Olympic tournament and will not come to the Cathedral square to celebrate [4th place at the Olympics 2004] this achievement with the team?
Saras: We've played bad...?!
J: No it was not bad... but what You would say to those fans that think that it was not good enough?
S:I do not no. I do always say, that it is as it is. It is realy hard to say something.
J: ... but those people whos say that You [Saras] haven't given Your 100% on the floor...?
S: I'd say that there is much more dumbass journalists like You, than there are people who talk like You,
understand?
J: No... I'm just saying...
S:No... I do think that there is much more journalists LIKE YOU, than people who think and talk like that...
As I talk to my friends or people I know in Lithuania, we come up with the opinion that there is more journalists thinking like You, than simple people thinking this way.
J: Here everybody is to welcome You friendly and with respect ...
S: So, why You are asking me this?
J: I am just provocating...
S: Oh, You're provocating? If Your're provocating, than GOOD BYE.
J: I just want to hear Your opinion...................

LINK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyNWynz40oQ&search=lithuania maybe my Lithuanian commrades could correct me on translation... I think it is prety accurate.

MagicRat
02-16-2006, 11:20 AM
NBA and Global Basketball are a bit different sports.

Kenneth Anderson makes 15.0 mpg 2.0 ppg (fg:16% tp:0/4 ft:50%) 2.0 rpg 1.0 apg 0.3 spg 2.0 fpg in Euroleague and Kaunas Zalgirs pays 400 000 dollars for that. 400 000 dollars for the name of Kenny Anderson. Point guard, NBA all-star, struggles at team which has probably the strongest frontline in the Euroleague (#1 in rebounds and blocks). Tanoka Beard makes 14.6 ppg, Darjus Lavrinovic 14.4 ppg, Paulius Jankunas 11.7 ppg).

Unfortunately for whoever signed him, Kenny's been done for years.....

Jermaniac
02-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Well if he does thats at least twice as much thinking as you do. Probably does, but at least I have my opinion instead of waiting for my father to tell me what to think.

Black Sox
02-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Saras words have not affected any of his teammates. He is just saying what every other basketball player wants to say about the NBA and especially every FAN.

Saras is a very good player and knows how to run a team.

RWB
02-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Probably does, but at least I have my opinion instead of waiting for my father to tell me what to think.

Jerm, that's not cool.

Jermaniac
02-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Its not cool how he talks **** on the Colts board knowing I cant post on it

waxman
02-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Wow.... I can't believe some of these responses... i don't see anything inflammatory here at all. In fact these comments seem like something basketball fans in Indiana would appreciate. go figure. :shrug:

Moses
02-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Wow.... I can't believe some of these responses... i don't see anything inflammatory here at all. In fact these comments seem like something basketball fans in Indiana would appreciate. go figure. :shrug:
Now that Artest as gone, all the pessimists have turned their attention to Sarunas. People read into alot of this stuff far more then they should. Sarunas was simply saying he doesn't like how the NBA's motto is money first, basketball second. Nowhere in there did I read, I hate the NBA and thus, I hate the Pacers. It's an opinion. I'm sorry some of you don't like your basketball players to express what they feel...and as long as they play basketball, I really don't care.

Since86
02-16-2006, 01:04 PM
I honestly think there's just an open bias against anything non-nba on this forum once in a while.

Instead of actually looking at was said, who said it gets all the attention.

I could careless if he was euro, american, african, hispanic, chinese, japanese, indonesian, nordic (I think you get my point) or if the player is a bench player, starter, all-star, or super-star. All I care about is substance. What did HE say that was wrong. Don't say "well I know he didn't say it, but the first sentence was bad." That's the writer talking, not the player. It's unfair to any player to hold them responsible for the conclusion a writer comes too.

It's a cheap way of trying to get your point across. Tell us what he actually said and why you disagree, not what the writer said.

Diamond Dave
02-16-2006, 01:19 PM
Its not cool how he talks **** on the Colts board knowing I cant post on it

:unimpress

As if it matters what board its said on. Adam Jones is a worthless DB no matter where its said.

Oh, and I'm not sure if my father shares the same opinion on that, as he may not even know who Adam Jones is, nor should he. Just in case you were wondering.

ChicagoJ
02-16-2006, 01:30 PM
It looks to me like Sarunas is getting along fine with his teammates at this point...
Am I missing something?

-Bball

good point.

If I were his teammate, I'd probably smack him. His generalizations are actually worse than if he'd come out and say something like, "JO spends more time on endorsements than basketball, and we can't ever get Croshere to hang up on his broker when its time to scrimmage." Now he's just vaguely insinuating things.

But perhaps, behind closed doors, he's explained himself.

Moses
02-16-2006, 01:34 PM

As if it matters what board its said on. Adam Jones is a worthless DB no matter where its said.

Oh, and I'm not sure if my father shares the same opinion on that, as he may not even know who Adam Jones is, nor should he. Just in case you were wondering.
Pacman isn't a bad corner or punt returner. But it's offtopic. You guys can PM eachother if you have problems but please don't post it here.

RWB
02-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Maybe his teammates really don't care because they themselves agree it's just a business. As soon as I see some restructuring of contracts (maybe not even possible?) then I'll be a little more concerned that Sarunas thinks the NBA is all about money.

STill not as controversial as Austin blowing off about Artest last year.

Since86
02-16-2006, 01:39 PM
STill not as controversial as Austin blowing off about Artest last year.

Or JO calling the age limit racist.

Or Jax calling the dress code racist.

Diamond Dave
02-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Or JO calling the age limit racist.

Or Jax calling the dress code racist.

Agreed here.

As far as Austin goes...

Well isn't Austin considered to be an off-court team captain? I mean wasn't he second only to Reggie in "company man" status? Remember it was him and Reg that they brought to the press post-brawl.

Croshere has, IMO, the responsibility to speak out. Assuming he accepts a leadership role.

Plus when it comes to Artest, anyone including a rookie, could have said that and it would have been fine. :D:cool:

Kestas
02-16-2006, 01:48 PM
maybe my Lithuanian commrades could correct me on translation... I think it is prety accurate.

yes, I think your translation was totally incorrect (or rather you got it incorrectly in Lithuanian ;)). and you also made up some words. besides, that was a dumbass Lithuanian kid (a.k.a. a very young journalist) asking him those questions, so he felt relaxed treating him like that. I remember when that interview was shown live and it was obvious that the journalist has cooked it, he was just plain pathetic..

Gamble
02-16-2006, 01:53 PM

STFU & play the game.

I think the NBA is very disappointing to him. He probably came into
the league expecting passionate talented players and what he got was
unmotivated, money hunger selfish players. I mean to a guy who
always looked at the NBA with wonder and amazement to find
out that its money first and play second must be very disappointing.

SwissExpress
02-16-2006, 02:05 PM
I'll Show You guys how Saras can talk to Euro journalists... That's still blossoms he's given to Your press. Video with transcription.

Js

Transcription
Journalist: What You could say to those people that think that You [LTU NT] have played badly at the Olympic tournament and will not come to the Cathedral square to celebrate [4th place at the Olympics 2004] this achievement with the team?
Saras: We've played bad...?!
J: No it was not bad... but what You would say to those fans that think that it was not good enough?
S:I do not no. I do always say, that it is as it is. It is realy hard to say something.
J: ... but those people whos say that You [Saras] haven't given Your 100% on the floor...?
S: I'd say that there is much more dumbass journalists like You, than there are people who talk like You,
understand?
J: No... I'm just saying...
S:No... I do think that there is much more journalists LIKE YOU, than people who think and talk like that...
As I talk to my friends or people I know in Lithuania, we come up with the opinion that there is more journalists thinking like You, than simple people thinking this way.
J: Here everybody is to welcome You friendly and with respect ...
S: So, why You are asking me this?
J: I am just provocating...
S: Oh, You're provocating? If Your're provocating, than GOOD BYE.
J: I just want to hear Your opinion...................

LINK http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyNWynz40oQ&search=lithuania maybe my Lithuanian commrades could correct me on translation... I think it is prety accurate.

I doubt there was anything like "dumbass", because I don't hear any censorship sounds in it:)

In any case, some journalists are crazy... Imagine a happy Duncan coming with a championship ring to San Antonio, surrounded by a crowd of fans, and in front of a journalist who simultaneously repeats a question "You know, what would you say to someone who would say that you were lazy during those finals?" Duncan: "Does anybody say that?" Journalist: "No, nobody ever said that. But lets imagine. I'm provoking you". Is there anything more stupid to ask a man who just came back from his best championship, is happy and surrounded by thousands of fans and is already dreaming about meeting his family?

Rytas_Jega
02-16-2006, 04:36 PM
I doubt there was anything like "dumbass", because I don't hear any censorship sounds in it:)

In any case, some journalists are crazy... Imagine a happy Duncan coming with a championship ring to San Antonio, surrounded by a crowd of fans, and in front of a journalist who simultaneously repeats a question "You know, what would you say to someone who would say that you were lazy during those finals?" Duncan: "Does anybody say that?" Journalist: "No, nobody ever said that. But lets imagine. I'm provoking you". Is there anything more stupid to ask a man who just came back from his best championship, is happy and surrounded by thousands of fans and is already dreaming about meeting his family?

Believe me, most Lithuanians' mood was depressive after the surprise in semi-final.

Julius Sour
02-16-2006, 04:45 PM
yes, I think your translation was totally incorrect (or rather you got it incorrectly in Lithuanian ;)). and you also made up some words. besides, that was a dumbass Lithuanian kid (a.k.a. a very young journalist) asking him those questions, so he felt relaxed treating him like that. I remember when that interview was shown live and it was obvious that the journalist has cooked it, he was just plain pathetic..

Do the transcript better please. i was asking commrades to correct me, not to tell me that I'm wrong in one or other case. Thanks and Respecta, Yo!

Special K.

Js

SwissExpress
02-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Believe me, most Lithuanians' mood was depressive after the surprise in semi-final.

I'm sure. I was expecting Lithuania-Argentina final to be a match of a decade. Instead there was a terribly dissapointing Lithuania-Italy match and a later blowout of Italy by Argentina.

Still, I can't imagine anyone saying that Lithuania wasn't great in the Olympics or that Saras did not give his 100% percent during games. Such questions/speculations by a journalist in that airport were very misplaced. Even more so if there was a certain amount of sadness among players.

Jermaniac
02-16-2006, 05:34 PM

Oh, and I'm not sure if my father shares the same opinion on that, as he may not even know who Adam Jones is, nor should he. Just in case you were wondering.You dont know jack **** about corners or football, you ever put some pads on and play? Bet not. Pacman has more talent in his foot then the whole Colts secondary does together.

Diamond Dave
02-16-2006, 05:38 PM
You dont know jack **** about corners or football, you ever put some pads on and play? Bet not. Pacman has more talent in his foot then the whole Colts secondary does together.

Just like a marionette. :D

Kestas
02-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Do the transcript better please. i was asking commrades to correct me, not to tell me that I'm wrong in one or other case. Thanks and Respecta, Yo!

Special K.

Js

what for? why should anyone care about that interview?

however, first of all he did not mention "dumbass" or any other word for that matter in that space. secondly he ment to say that he believes most people think like the journalist in the positive way. he told him he believes people think like him (the journalist) - that is positively. you interpreted it completely the other way imo.
all in all I don't think there's anything shocking about how he responded to that journalist. walking away wasn't very polite, but the journalist was the one who started it ;)

blow
02-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Ha, it seems it's a good thread that I've started :) NBA has to change, and that's a fact. But Saras has to change too. That's a fact too.

Bball
02-16-2006, 06:22 PM
good point.

If I were his teammate, I'd probably smack him. His generalizations are actually worse than if he'd come out and say something like, "JO spends more time on endorsements than basketball, and we can't ever get Croshere to hang up on his broker when its time to scrimmage." Now he's just vaguely insinuating things.

But perhaps, behind closed doors, he's explained himself.

Maybe I need to re-read the article. I didn't take it so much as a personal swipe at players or particularly teammates... I was thinking more along the lines of agents and then also management having to deal with salary caps and luxury tax issues.... the CBA itself and the dealings of union/management/NBA...

That kind of thing. Yes, the players figure into but more because it is the nature of the beast that has been built and become a necessary evil.

Maybe I'm a Sarunas apologist? Maybe I am misreading some things? Maybe I agree with what he says? :shrug:

-Bball

brichard
02-16-2006, 07:51 PM

:thankyou:

Julius Sour
02-17-2006, 01:57 AM
"dumbass"

"Tūpas žurnalistas"? how to translate that :)))))))))

JS

themind
02-17-2006, 06:39 AM

JS

That journalist was a jerk (or just incompetent) :)

Kestas
02-17-2006, 06:50 AM

JS

are you serious? stop looking for scandals where there are none!!!
he did not tell anything of that order.
he told in that space "tų".. that's it. it's astonishing how badly you misunderstood the guy.

Kestas
02-17-2006, 07:14 AM

ppplease! when I posted a request for info about him a month ago on this board there were no negative comments. where were you then? ;)

if he would have 20 pts, 7 assits averages, you wold scream about how well Europe accepts your leftovers. when he has nothing, you don't even call him a leftover. that's a safe position, but it's also childish imho.
well thruth is the guy is 35 years of age, which is still not a lot considering his athletic shape, and he was starting for the Pacers three years from now. Last season he averaged 4,7 points and 2 asists for the Hawks and Clippers, despite being, I don't know, a second or third PG there (I guess). so guess what? he is averaging even less in a scrub-infested Euroleague, while playing much more minutes (edit: his playing time average is actually smaller, but it's increasing) and with coaches giving him all the support they possibly can. besides, his attitude seems to be very good, if he elevates his game (which he can and I strongly believe he will), people will really like him here. anyways, my point was about the differences and they are undeniable.

k

D-BONE
02-17-2006, 07:19 AM
Comparison between Saras's comments and those of JO and Jack regarding age limits and dress code as far as controversy I find interesting. Actually, I think you can draw some interesting connections. I would argue that Saras's characterization (criticism?) of the money-driven NBA underlies both his teammates postions. In other words, if the NBA isn't so based on materialism, commercialism, and general money hungriness, those debates about age limits and dress code may not exist, or at least they do but the arguments are different. For example, the dress code. On the surface, league wants to clean up its image via reactionary post-brawl damage control. Real motivation: we don't want to lose advertisers, fans, etc.'s money. Irony of course being that the so-called "thug", "rap", and "individual" mentalities were cultivated by Stern in building up league popularity and superstars for some time. As far as age limits, well if the salaries aren't so exorbitant, then the whole pipeline of high-schoolers is much less motivated to try to jump straight to the league. Just observations and theories. And no I'm not trying to be overly critical or all righteous about it. I love NBA hoops regardless. Just shows some of the duality or contradictions of the game that Saras's comments point out. It is what it is.