PDA

View Full Version : What is your workout regimen?

abington
02-14-2006, 11:13 AM
The diet thread got me curious about everybody else.
I am 5'10 230 and would be cut around 195.
I lift 4 days a week.

Back.
Arms.
Chest.
Legs.

i dont do shoulders because they are constantly sore.

I usually do 3-4 excersises per body part and usually 4 sets each.
Sometimes heavy, sometimes light with higher reps.
I try to do at least one drop/super set.

Like typical chest would be:
1. Bench
2. Dumbell incline
3. Superset of Flys and pushups

Back would be:
Assisted Pullups
Lat Pulldown
Rows
bentover or one armed rows

I do cardio about 6 days a week.
between 30 and 45 minutes.
i love the stairmaster, but i recently had ACL reconstructive surgery so ive been doing a lot of elliptical but i dont like it that much because i never seem to be able to sweat or get tired.

i used to do yoga and i really liked it. but since surgery ive kindof backed away from it. I think that stretching and core/ab work are key and often overlooked.

Skaut_Ech
02-14-2006, 11:27 AM
:pray:

*please lord, let no one make a joke about one arm curls*

Pacersfan46
02-14-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm not all obsessive about it, however ...

I run at least 2 miles on the Monon trail 4 days a week.

The other 3 days I do Air Alert jump program for basketball.

sweabs
02-14-2006, 12:58 PM

All I will say is this: Don't overdo it. If it starts to hurt, then just stop and take a break.

Since86
02-14-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm actually starting to do the GVT program, so my splits are like this.

Mon - Shoulders and Back
Tues - Legs and Abs
Wed - off
Thurs - Chest and Arms

It's a unique program that is widely regarded as successful. It consists of 10 sets of 10 reps for each major muscle structure.

I'm not sure I'll do all the legs, considering I play in three different leagues throughout the week. It calls for 100 squats, and I doubt I'll be able to run after all that so......

My nutrition is a joke, so I'm only looking for minimal gains right now.

btowncolt
02-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Mon - Btowns girl
Tuesday - Btowns girl
Wed - Btowns girl
TH - Btowns girl
F - Btowns girl
S - Btowns girl
S - Btowns girl

I don't have a girl anymore. So I know you're lying.

Doug
02-14-2006, 01:37 PM
I'm actually starting to do the GVT program, so my splits are like this.

Mon - Shoulders and Back
Tues - Legs and Abs
Wed - off
Thurs - Chest and Arms

It's a unique program that is widely regarded as successful. It consists of 10 sets of 10 reps for each major muscle structure.

I'm not sure I'll do all the legs, considering I play in three different leagues throughout the week. It calls for 100 squats, and I doubt I'll be able to run after all that so......

My nutrition is a joke, so I'm only looking for minimal gains right now.

If you do 10 x 10 of squats, make sure you take a bucket with you to the squat rack.

Doug
02-14-2006, 01:38 PM

How long have you been doing it and what do you think of the program?

Skaut_Ech
02-14-2006, 05:40 PM
I don't have a girl anymore. So I know you're lying.

Didn't you always say Mom was your special girl?

btowncolt
02-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Didn't you always say Mom was your special girl?

I'm from Indiana, but not that part of Indiana.

sweabs
02-14-2006, 06:58 PM
How long have you been doing it and what do you think of the program?

I know you weren't asking me, and I'm awaiting Pacer46's response as well but I have some experience with Air Alert.

It's rigorous; there's no other way of really putting it. I followed it very religiously for about 4 weeks before my knees started to hurt. There were days where I just felt I couldn't do it, but went ahead and did it because I was following the outlined schedule/routine they give you.

I like the exercises, and I still do them. I just don't like the number of reps and sets that they outline for each week. It's just constant grinding and wearing down of the knees, and my brother went along with the program for even longer than I did and paid the consequences. His knees have never been the same and he takes medication before each basketball game as a way to alleviate some of the pain that usually ensues after exercise.

Like I said, the exercises are all very good, but I think it's best to do them on your own set schedule which feels good for you. After my first 4 weeks of following their outlined program, my knees were killing me. So I took a month off, and came back doing the same exercises but on my own schedule (i.e. what felt good for me). I think that's the best way to go, otherwise you burn yourself out.

pacercoltfan
02-14-2006, 07:38 PM
My problem with exercising was that I got so burned out. I was exercising about 4 times a week. Wasn't really seeing results I still had 20% or more body fat :soundoff: :dunno: I really need to get back into it. Sometimes when I get home from work I'm so exhausted. I have to get up at 4:30 in the morning, so the only way I could do it was when I got home from work.

When I was exercising, I was doing the treadmill 1 day, then the Bowflex the next day.

Pacersfan46
02-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Me, and 3 friends did Air Alert together for a month last year. I left town for two weeks on personal issues. I didn't do it after I left, and they didn't do it long. I was the one who was coordinating everything.

However none of us had any problems with anything besides the normal aches and pains. Maybe you guys were doing some of the the exercises wrong? I'm not sure.

All I know is after 4 weeks, I could honestly tell a difference in how high I was jumping. Every leg muscle I had hurt like hell almost every day though. It is rigorous, and damn it is hard to push through the end of the exercises. Especially that damn one where you hold a ball in front of you that you do once a week. That bad boy HURTS.

I honestly love it.

Edit: Now that I think about it, one of us had a history of knee problems when he played high school, and even college basketball. Yet even he didn't complain about having any knee issues.

sweabs
02-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Neither of us were doing the exercises wrong, but when you're doing the workout while playing volleyball or basketball almost every night (and tournaments on weekends), you can see where problems may have developed.

Using their exercises, at my own rate, I was still able to increase my vertical 4 inches.

Like you said, every leg muscle you have hurts like hell - which is why my brother and I toned things down, because that's not exactly something you want to play through during your basketball or volleyball games each night.

Pacersfan46
02-14-2006, 07:57 PM
I don't think you're meant to do it ... in season.

The paperwork I had on it said that you're only to play on the days off from the exercises. Not the same day. While in season you have practices, and games almost every day. That's just not possible.

Should have done it in the offseason. Glad that it still worked out for you though.

I was eyeing those week 15 exercises, and cringing in fear of doing them all. lol

sweabs
02-14-2006, 08:02 PM
:laugh:

Week 15 = Wow. What do they have you doing, like thousands of the straight-legged jumps right? Crazy.

However, what you said about the in-season and off-season stuff is great in theory but difficult for someone who was in my position (although I could realistically do it now).

At the time I first started Air Alert, I was playing club AND highschool volleyball and basketball during the winter through the Spring, while doing AAA and highschool soccer during the summers, along with beach volleyball in the summer. There simply was no "offseason" at the time, which is unfortunate.

However, now that I'm a University student (i.e. life is no longer fun and you don't have time to do luxuries such as competitive sports), I could probably give it another try and get myself ready for beach volleyball in the summer. That should also give me a month or so to recuperate after Week 15...:laugh:

By the way, how long does it take to do what Lebron does in your avatar? Damn...I remember that game.

Pacersfan46
02-14-2006, 08:11 PM
As far as jumping like Lebron ... it would take .. uh never. Won't happen lol

Just for comparison sake, here is week 1 --

2 sets of 20 Leap Ups
2 sets of 10 Calf Raises
2 sets of 10 Step Ups
2 sets of 15 Thrust Ups
1 set of 100 Burnouts
4 sets of 15 Squat Hops

Week 15 ... I had the paperwork in my desk --

4 sets of 100 Leap Ups
4 sets of 50 Calf Raises
2 sets of 50 Step Ups
2 sets of 100 Thrust Ups
4 sets of 500 Burnouts
5 sets of 50 Squat Hops

Ouch

abington
02-14-2006, 08:56 PM
jump squats are killer. killer. body weight or with dummy's, you add those to any kind of leg workout and you are sucking air the whole time.

Shade
02-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Actually, I'm glad this topic came up, because I could use some advice in this area.

Right now, my workout routine consists of working out on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. I have access to a curl bar and pair of dumbbells. I don't work my legs much because of my knee problems, plus they're already quite strong and I walk around campus and play basketball quite a bit. For the upper body, I usually use a 55-pound curl bar to do 5 sets of 5 reps, then I use the same bar for 5 sets of 5 reps of overhead lifts, then use 15-pound dumbbells to do 5 sets of 5 reps of side laterals, and usually also do about 50 elevated ab crunches (25 upper, 25 lower). I feel like I should be doing more, though, and I'd like to work my chest more. Right now, without access to a bench or spotter, I'm reluctant to try benching my bar. This routine usually takes about 30 minutes, and sometimes I'll add 5 sets of 5 reps of isolated bicep curls using a 30-pound dumbbell, which adds another 15 minutes or so to the workout.

8.9_seconds
02-15-2006, 12:10 AM
I do the Bigger.Faster. Stronger weight program. Is anybody familiar with it? I do it three times a week and soon, once I heal up some old injuries, I'll start running again.

Reps and weight vary, more reps less weight, less reps more weight,etc.The program consists of box squats, paralell sqats, Lateral pull down, bench press, Leg press, Incline press, power cleans, assorted Arm weights, and other things I can't remember the names of.

BFS is a good program if you do everything correctly, if you don't you can get alot of injuries.

For most of my squats I do anywhere from 300-360 lbs
for lat pull down around 160
I bench a pathetic 100
And with leg Press anywhere from 280-310.

It may not seem like alot to you big strong men, but it's ok for a little girl.

http://www.galenaschools.com/high/Weights/images/Weight2.jpg

This is somewhat what my schedule looks like, but not quite.

SoupIsGood
02-15-2006, 01:20 AM
I do the Bigger.Faster. Stronger weight program. Is anybody familiar with it?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh, that thing can freaking die. I'm not sure if the program actually calls for it, but somehow my old football coaches got from it that we should do like two burnouts with every lift.

BFS can DIEEEEEEEEE

mugsy27
02-15-2006, 01:56 PM
ianyone else get the feeling that SIG doesnt like the BFS program?

Since86
02-15-2006, 07:24 PM
How long have you been doing that routine Shade? After 6 or 7 weeks, you really should change things up, and I'm not just talking about the order you do them or switch days.

Your muscles will get used to the same routine, and actually slow down developing. Bodybuilders call the change "shocking" your muscles.

I don't know what you're lifting for, whether it be to bulk or to tone, but change the speed of your reps as well. If you go slowly all the time, you're only developing one type of your muscle fibers. Both should be worked to see better/faster results.

Yes, I do know I sound like a robot, but this is actually what I'm going to school for. I've got two classes this semster that have covered this exact material

btowncolt
02-15-2006, 07:34 PM
Skaut's wife.

Shade
02-15-2006, 08:47 PM
How long have you been doing that routine Shade? After 6 or 7 weeks, you really should change things up, and I'm not just talking about the order you do them or switch days.

Your muscles will get used to the same routine, and actually slow down developing. Bodybuilders call the change "shocking" your muscles.

I don't know what you're lifting for, whether it be to bulk or to tone, but change the speed of your reps as well. If you go slowly all the time, you're only developing one type of your muscle fibers. Both should be worked to see better/faster results.

Yes, I do know I sound like a robot, but this is actually what I'm going to school for. I've got two classes this semster that have covered this exact material

What I really need is a list of all the exercises I can do with what I've got.

I'm trying to tone more than bulk, but I'd like to add some more size as well, especially in my arms and chest.

Kaufman
02-15-2006, 08:55 PM
I'm from Indiana, but not that part of Indiana.

We all know what goes on in Ellettsville...

Since86
02-16-2006, 12:45 PM
What I really need is a list of all the exercises I can do with what I've got.

I'm trying to tone more than bulk, but I'd like to add some more size as well, especially in my arms and chest.

Bodybuilding.com is a GREAT site. Almost every lift you can think of, some with animated demonstrations. Tons of routines.

It gets two thumbs way up.

But you can always bench using your dumbbells. That will develop both arms and chest. I'd recommend getting a bench that you can incline. Doing standing curls, then incline curls will actually work different parts of the muscle, so you can get a couple of different variety of exercises with just the way your positioned.

But yeah, check out bodybuilding.com. You can spend a couple of hours looking at all the different exercises with limited resources.

Shade
02-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Bodybuilding.com is a GREAT site. Almost every lift you can think of, some with animated demonstrations. Tons of routines.

It gets two thumbs way up.

But you can always bench using your dumbbells. That will develop both arms and chest. I'd recommend getting a bench that you can incline. Doing standing curls, then incline curls will actually work different parts of the muscle, so you can get a couple of different variety of exercises with just the way your positioned.

But yeah, check out bodybuilding.com. You can spend a couple of hours looking at all the different exercises with limited resources.

Thanks, I've scanned through the site a couple times before to read some articles linked from there. I'll have to check it out more in-depth now.

Doug
02-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Right now I'm following the "Core Performance" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157954908X/qid=1140137622/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/103-9896332-8801419?s=books&v=glance&n=283155)workouts. It's pretty comprehensive and includes weight lifting, cardio, stretching (lots and lots of stretching), physioball, plyometrics, and various "pre-hab" exercises (little muscles in the shoulders and hips).

I've it before and it's a good all-around atheltic training program. There's 4 three week sections. Each section follows the same basic schedule, but tends to increase in volume throughout. All-in-all, it's fairly complex. Lots of different exercises, lifts, and stretches. I'm probably as flexible as I've ever been.

pacercoltfan
02-17-2006, 08:23 PM
Ok as most of you know, I'm officially on a diet as of next week. So this is my workout that I've planned.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday = Strength training (chest, back ,shoulders, arms, legs, abs. 20 min.)

Tuesday and Thursday = PowerWalking on the treadmill (about 25-30 min.)

Saturday and Sunday rest.

Any thoughts? Should I eat a protein bar, or drink a protein shake after each workout as well, or does that matter?

Thanks!

Except for Mondays, I'll be doing it in the afternoon when I get home from work. I have to get up at the "crack of dawn" to go to work. :) :D

Shade
02-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Ok as most of you know, I'm officially on a diet as of next week. So this is my workout that I've planned.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday = Strength training (chest, back ,shoulders, arms, legs, abs. 20 min.)

Tuesday and Thursday = PowerWalking on the treadmill (about 25-30 min.)

Saturday and Sunday rest.

Any thoughts? Should I eat a protein bar, or drink a protein shake after each workout as well, or does that matter?

Thanks!

Except for Mondays, I'll be doing it in the afternoon when I get home from work. I have to get up at the "crack of dawn" to go to work. :) :D

I would definitely advise a post-workout shake. Your body absorbs whey protein and carbs faster when your body is revved up like that. Try to avoid fat, however, right after a workout, as it slows the absorption down.

Go for shakes over bars as much as possible. Only eat bars on-the-go, when you have nothing else handy.