PDA

View Full Version : Pedja

AleksandarN
02-13-2006, 11:48 AM
I am a Kings but also a Pedja fan aswell. I have not really post her much just mainly read. What do you guys think of Pedja so far? I think Pedja finally regaining his form that he had in 2003. Here what I posted back when the trade rumours first started in 2004 about Pedja's game.

I just would like to say hi. This is my first post on this board so if I over step my welcome or this post is repeat I am sorry.

I just thought I would tell you how Pedja plays. What his strenghts and weakness are since I get to see him alot being a Kings fan.

1) first and foremost he is the best in the NBA when it comes to moving without the ball. Think a taller Richard Hamilton with better shooting and strength.

2) Secoundly he the best shooter in the game today especailly behind the arc. and FT line.

3) Thirdly he is a team player. He does what ever he can for the team.

4) He is a solid team defender. He is not athetic by any means but he stays in front of his man and plays very good position and team defence.

5) He is an average rebounder for his position not for his size though.

6) And one of the most important points is he is the very focal point of defenses. When you have him on your team it gives your teamates better looks. It is like playing 4 on 4 because no one leaves Pedja open when the oppossing team guards him. He also spreads floor better then any player in the game because of this. His presence alone gives his teamates a better chance to score. I think this would really open up the scoring for Oneil.

7) One of his weaknesses is his lack of leadership. He is a quite guy.

8) The biggest weakness is him playing every year for Serbia which takes a drain on him physically and mentally. This is the first time in 7 years that he is not playing basketball all year long since he is not playing the Olympics.

9) the last but not the least is his playoff preformances wheather or not it is him being tired or not a playoff performer he struggles. The only year in which I thought this was going to change was the year before last year when he played way above his season averages.

10.) And another thing which people are not aware of is that he averages 5.2 FT a game. Which I might add is only .8 off of what Ron averaged last year. That still averages more FT made a game then Ron. Actually he was 13th in made FT a game. So for people who do think he has no inside presence is wrong because he does go the line alot.

P.S. sorry for the re edits

CableKC
02-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Welcome back to the board.

So far....most of us are impressed by what Peja has brought to the team....we are getting more rebounding from him then expected....his shooting is as expected. I think that he is starting to fit in well with the rest of the team....especially with Sarunas.

The only problem is that I think its gonna take some time for Carlisle to get comfortable with him.

AleksandarN
02-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Welcome back to the board.

So far....most of us are impressed by what Peja has brought to the team....we are getting more rebounding from him then expected....his shooting is as expected. I think that he is starting to fit in well with the rest of the team....especially with Sarunas.

The only problem is that I think its gonna take some time for Carlisle to get comfortable with him.

I know it just makes me mad that he was not playing like this for the Kings. I think he pulled a Vince Carter on us.

PacersHeat
02-13-2006, 01:04 PM
I was looking forward for the Peja trade in the past so now we got him for Artest. Thought that it was a good trade. We lose Artest's great defense, though.

Peja is fitted in great. Love his shooting. I'm only bit surprised on his defense. He seems like playing better and is happy now. I think it was the reason he lacked the moviation to keep up for the Kings.

By the way why do you call him Pedja (Peja?)?

Hicks
02-13-2006, 01:05 PM
I really like the guy. He's better than I expected, and in fact is what I was hoping for when I got hyped about possibly trading Artest for him during the summer of 2004. I'm hoping that we re-sign him during the offseason.

sweabs
02-13-2006, 01:11 PM
I really like the guy. He's better than I expected, and in fact is what I was hoping for when I got hyped about possibly trading Artest for him during the summer of 2004. I'm hoping that we re-sign him during the offseason.

I've really enjoyed watching him play this last week.

That being said, I still have this voice in the back of my head saying "contract year, contract year", and am skeptical to the possibility of resigning him to a big deal. I'm just not sure if he's worth the kind of money that he will demand at this point in his career.

If we didn't have a young stud at SF in Granger, then my opinion would probably be different.

piksi
02-13-2006, 01:36 PM

Because Pedja is the correct spelling and Peja is the American way.
Same pronaunciation

piksi
02-13-2006, 01:39 PM
That being said, I still have this voice in the back of my head saying "contract year, contract year", and am skeptical to the possibility of resigning him to a big deal. I'm just not sure if he's worth the kind of money that he will demand at this point in his career.

he isn't a max type of a player but he will be the second best player on the team so he will cost as much

PacersHeat
02-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Same pronaunciation

I got it, thanks!

Anthem
02-13-2006, 01:53 PM
he isn't a max type of a player but he will be the second best player on the team so he will cost as much
How much is that? He's opting out of an 8mil/year contract.

I agree with the others... it might be different if we didn't have a young stud at SF.

ChicagoJ
02-13-2006, 02:03 PM
If he can't play SG on this team (when everyone is healthy), he's a luxury we can't afford to keep.

I love the fact that he rebounds better than Ron and gets to the line a lot.

One-on-one defense is an overrated attribute of players. I really like Peja's game but I like Granger better at SF, long-term. Now, I don't like SJax's game at all...

Unclebuck
02-13-2006, 02:38 PM
One-on-one defense is an overrated attribute of players.

Rolling over in my grave

Kestas
02-13-2006, 02:38 PM
Same pronaunciation

is Pedja a Serbian short version of Predrag? I always wondered about that.. all I know is that Runi(s) would never be a short version for Sarunas in Lithuanian and Marty would never be a short version of Martynas (Andriuskevicius)..

ChicagoJ
02-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Rolling over in my grave

:console:

FrenchConnection
02-13-2006, 02:47 PM
is Pedja a Serbian short version of Predrag? I always wondered about that.. all I know is that Runi(s) would never be a short version for Sarunas in Lithuanian and Marty would never be a short version of Martynas (Andriuskevicius)..
I would think that they would not really care what we call them just so long as we respect/enjoy their game. I know that Saras is short for Sarunas, but what would be the short version of Martynas?

All that being said, I really dislike the AK-47 nickname that Americans have given Andrei Kirilenko. Russians don't even call the Kalashnikov rifle that. It is as preditable as any fast Russian being called "The Russian Rocket." On the CSKA boards in Russia they call him Kirik, which I think is much better. But I doubt he cares.

02-13-2006, 02:51 PM

The nickname is spelled "Peja" but thats not how his nick-name is pronounced correctly in mine/his (serbian) language, "pedja", the "dj" is pronounced like one letter and we type it like that because Americans can pronounce it almost correctly and because that special serbian letter doesnt exist in English.. :)

Its pronounced like the first letter of "Jordan", Michael "J"ackson.. "Pedja" you get it? Because Americans are pronouncing PEJA like PEYA or PEIA.. which is wrong! Bahh, no big deal! Hope u understood.. :)

I guess there is a reason to why people call him PEYA, lot easier to pronounce :D

ONTOPIC: I LOVE PEJA, ALWAYS HAVE... IF IM GONA BE HONEST, I THINK HE STARTING TO GET BETTER THAN HE PLAYED IN KINGS..

efx
02-13-2006, 02:51 PM
I think with AK being his initials and him wearing 47 it's an opportunity too good to pass up. Best nickname in the leauge IMO!

fwpacerfan
02-13-2006, 02:54 PM
How much is that? He's opting out of an 8mil/year contract.

I agree with the others... it might be different if we didn't have a young stud at SF.

Do we know he's opting out for sure? (I would think he would but you never know.)

The guy has impressed me. I was skeptical but he is winning me over. He is better defensively than I thought. Even the announcers yesterday (they were horrible btw) said they interviewed Carlisle and he said Peja's defense was better than he thought. The guy makes things happen.

I'm also impressed with his rebounding and his ability to find the open man. I would like to see the Pacers keep him.

DeAthrow
02-13-2006, 04:27 PM

Yes it is.

ManicStreetPreachers
02-13-2006, 05:16 PM
To add onto nickname discussion, the right wat to spell his nickname in Serbian would be Peđa. đ is also writen (and pronounced as dj) so it can be writen as Pedja. dj is a same sound as "j" in english so Peja is phonetically same as Pedja.

Shaggy
02-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Do we know he's opting out for sure?

Hard to say now, but seems likely knowing the economics on the NBA.

One thing to consider is an answer from mboyle from another thread.

Point of clarification. Stojakovic will be an unrestricted FA, assuming he opts out of his contract. The Pacers do not have matching rights.

MJB

If this is true (no reason to doubt), then we will not be able to Larry Bird-rights him after the season. If Peja does opt out, we could be in a bidding war that we can't win given our current cap position.

Scary thought.

Kestas
02-13-2006, 05:26 PM
I would think that they would not really care what we call them just so long as we respect/enjoy their game. I know that Saras is short for Sarunas, but what would be the short version of Martynas?

Marčius.
it's pronouned like Darius, but "iu" is one short sound. don't know any English examples. č (which you probably see incorrectly) is pronounced like the first sound in a word cheese.

but I doubt anyone is having a problem with Marty, Runi (this one is very cool imho) or Big Z. I'd prefer Saras (Sharas, Šaras, both "a" are prononced like in a word "lard", but second one is short), obviously, but who cares.. it's better to hear that than some pathetic attempts at "Songaila" (Bulls). however, how local pronouncers learned to pronounce Sarunas Jasikevicius clearly shows that they can pronounce everything (obviously). I especially liked the way some guy told his name in the recent NBA top-10, where he was featured with a pass. pronounciation was at some 90% perfect! :D

ChicagoJ
02-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Hard to say now, but seems likely knowing the economics on the NBA.

One thing to consider is an answer from mboyle from another thread.

If this is true (no reason to doubt), then we will not be able to Larry Bird-rights him after the season. If Peja does opt out, we could be in a bidding war that we can't win given our current cap position.

Scary thought.

You are confusing "restricted free agency" with "Bird rights."

For a restricted FA, teams may be able to match any or all offers.

Bird rights just mean we can go (stay) over the cap to re-sign him.

He's obviously not eligible for restrcted FA, he's been in the league too long, but we did acquire his Bird rights in the trade.

Will Galen
02-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Do we know he's opting out for sure? (I would think he would but you never know.)

I read here on the Digest someplace that his agent is on record as saying he will opt out.

Pacesetter
02-13-2006, 07:08 PM
I love his unselfish play!!!

Peja's awesome!!!! :cool:

Jon Theodore
02-13-2006, 08:29 PM
We need to do whatever it takes to keep Peja here. It will be hard for me to be a hardcore Pacer fan if we just let Peja go. If we can somehow trade Tins/Cro for an expiring contract/ solid 1st round draft pick then sign Peja that would be KEY.

pizza guy
02-13-2006, 10:34 PM
I would absolutely love to see Peja stick around. I've been very impressed with his play, on offense and defense. He has a good basketball IQ, and that is invaluable. I REALLY REALLY CAN'T EXPRESS HOW MUCH I REALLY want Peja and JO and Sarunas to play together in this ball movement offense. Seriously, those three with Hulk and Freddie Jones would be an amazing unit, and could really get us somewhere. The problem is that we'll probably lose either Peja or Freddie this off-season. Truthfully, I don't see Peja wanting to leave Indy, only because of how he idolizes Bird.

To recap: Peja has played EXTREMELY well IMO, we've got a good chance at re-signing him, and the possible line-up we could have with him and JO can be scarey-good.

KingsFan
02-14-2006, 12:10 AM
I know it just makes me mad that he was not playing like this for the Kings. I think he pulled a Vince Carter on us. hahaha look at his rebounding AleksandrN, it makes me think the same way.

Anthem
02-14-2006, 12:49 AM
We need to do whatever it takes to keep Peja here.
Please define that for me.

If Toronto offers a max salary, would you match?

Peck
02-14-2006, 01:21 AM
This is a dilly of a pickle.

I'll be honest with you, I don't know how much I would pay Peja to stay here.

Max player? No way.

But I have a very high standard to what a max player would be worth because I think J.O. is over paid as well.

No, I don't know what I think we should go to or for that matter how much we can even offer if we want.

Downtown Threat
02-14-2006, 04:24 AM
I know it just makes me mad that he was not playing like this for the Kings. I think he pulled a Vince Carter on us.
You have got to be kidding.

Pedja is a Pro and its quite staggering that you can even suggest that he pulled a Vince Carter on us. Quite simply he is being used better in Indiana than he was with us this year. He gets more plays run for him than he did with us this year. He is just in a better environment as far as his game is concerned.

We didn't run anywhere near the number of plays for Pedja that Pacers do now (probably out of neccessity). His reboudning in January for us has been as good as its been for the Pacers so far. His shotting is better with Pacers beacuse he is getting much better looks than he did with us.

Downtown Threat
02-14-2006, 04:35 AM
hahaha look at his rebounding AleksandrN, it makes me think the same way.He averaged 7.5 rpg for us in the month of January. His rebounding was very good leading up tot he trade. Its just that his shooting was down.

DeAthrow
02-14-2006, 09:04 AM
I have said it before the thread was locked on the kingsfans.com Peja is simply better utilized by Indiana. They are actually running plays for him :-o

Good for him, good for the pacers. Both teams profited from this trade.

AleksandarN
02-14-2006, 03:15 PM
You have got to be kidding.

Pedja is a Pro and its quite staggering that you can even suggest that he pulled a Vince Carter on us. Quite simply he is being used better in Indiana than he was with us this year. He gets more plays run for him than he did with us this year. He is just in a better environment as far as his game is concerned.

We didn't run anywhere near the number of plays for Pedja that Pacers do now (probably out of neccessity). His reboudning in January for us has been as good as its been for the Pacers so far. His shotting is better with Pacers beacuse he is getting much better looks than he did with us.

I know I know I was a little harsh but I just wished that he was still with the Kings. He is my secound favourite player Kobe being my a first. I also did not mean that he has the same attitude but I was comparing the production between the two players after they left thier first teams.