PDA

View Full Version : Do you realize?

Hicks
02-12-2006, 11:12 PM
that Peja got clocked in the head, THEN immediately afterwards, is when Rick took him out in the 4th, right? After he was hit, he was staggering a bit, and rubbing the side of his face/head. I was just watching my DVR of the game (I was at Conseco live), and sure enough, there was a reason he went out. Something to keep in mind during the rally for lynching Carlisle.

Peck
02-12-2006, 11:20 PM
that Peja got clocked in the head, THEN immediately afterwards, is when Rick took him out in the 4th, right? After he was hit, he was staggering a bit, and rubbing the side of his face/head. I was just watching my DVR of the game (I was at Conseco live), and sure enough, there was a reason he went out. Something to keep in mind during the rally for lynching Carlisle.

I just mentioned this in my response to Haronica. I didn't see your post on it but like I said it looked to me like he called to come out.

bnd45
02-13-2006, 12:16 AM
I had no problem with subbing him out.

My only complaint from today was the final play. Why the straight clearout? Why not a pick & roll, or a drive and kick? Peja was wide open if Fred could have tossed it back to the top of the key. Would have been a Boom Baby and the Win.

Must win this Wednesday. I'll take 26-23 at the break and then a second half tear.

sixthman
02-13-2006, 12:33 AM
Rick didn't mention anything about that in his press conference did he? I didn't hear it. He talked about better defense.

The announcers didn't see the incident either. They were surprised when Peja left.

Jon Theodore
02-13-2006, 12:42 AM
no matter what, Sarunas playing 17 minutes is an abomination, an utter disaster, just the worst coaching decision i've ever witnessed this season.

Sarunas was on FIRE today. So that was my big issue with Carlisle for the day and Granger could of gotten more minutes. Granger/Runi should of each gotten at least 5 more minutes a piece and take those away from AJ/Jack.

Bball
02-13-2006, 12:48 AM

I refuse to believe Peja was hit in the head... That would be a foul and you're telling me the refs would miss a foul? :tsk:

-BBall

bnd45
02-13-2006, 12:58 AM
Well I do remember seeing him rub his face after a loose ball scrum.

Freddie was playing well and deserved to be on the floor as well. Rick is in the tough spot of balancing out crunch time minutes with Peja, Freddie, and Jack. Jack will never be on the short end of that stick. That is just the way the NBA works. If Finley was torching us today, Manu would not sit the whole 4th quarter. I was shocked Jack sat the first 8 minutes of the Q. Maybe go with Freddie at the 1 down the stretch??? He can certainly defend the position and our offense is not real complex. Our guard spots appear pretty interchangeable.

Pacesetter
02-13-2006, 01:10 AM
Peja got his head ripped off.

denyfizle
02-13-2006, 01:12 AM
Rick is tooooooooooooooooooooooooo predictable with his play calling on the dying seconds. Isolate JO. Isolate Jack. Hope the shot goes in. Great job Rick!!!

Bball
02-13-2006, 01:17 AM
no matter what, Sarunas playing 17 minutes is an abomination, an utter disaster, just the worst coaching decision i've ever witnessed this season.

Sarunas was on FIRE today. So that was my big issue with Carlisle for the day and Granger could of gotten more minutes. Granger/Runi should of each gotten at least 5 more minutes a piece and take those away from AJ/Jack.

I said in another thread that Sarunas has been getting shorted on minutes lately but he's been in a slump and AJ has been playing well so it didn't hurt us. Today, AJ was back to earth but Sarunas was playing well and he still got shorted on minutes. ...And it hurt us...

Rick is simply going to have to accept the good with the bad for a player like Sarunas to be effective. The positives will outweigh the negatives IMHO. The 'slumping' might even be lessened by letting him play thru it and showing some confidence in him.

I think Harrison should've played more but I had less of a quabble there than with Sarunas' minutes. I just didn't see the reason to pull Sarunas in the 4th. AJ played OK but I don't think AJ played better than Sarunas today.

I did see Peja rubbing his chin but I didn't see him get hit or ask to come out. At the time he went out I ASSumed it would only be a few ticks of the clock to give him a rest for the stretch drive. I questioned it but shrugged it off. But then Carlisle made the other changes as well and it played out about like you'd imagine (in a worst case scenario) when you make end of game changes to that degree and break the continuity that had gotten you where you were.

The players coming in offered nothing over the hot-hands going out.

-Bball

Unclebuck
02-13-2006, 09:05 AM
I had no problem with subbing him out.

My only complaint from today was the final play. Why the straight clearout? Why not a pick & roll, or a drive and kick? Peja was wide open if Fred could have tossed it back to the top of the key. Would have been a Boom Baby and the Win.

Must win this Wednesday. I'll take 26-23 at the break and then a second half tear.

Are you talking about the drive by Fred. It was a pick and roll and Fred got into his sweet spot. No problems with that shot selection or lay call

grace
02-13-2006, 10:19 AM
that Peja got clocked in the head, THEN immediately afterwards, is when Rick took him out in the 4th, right?

No I didn't. Neither did Bill Walton. Of course I should know better than to listen to him after he thought Fred Jones was Anthony Johnson. :rolleyes:

sixthman
02-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Just looking at the game again, it was not only Peja and Sarunas who came out with 4:20 left in favor of Jackson and AJ --- but Danny Granger was pulled and Pollard inserted at the same time. I had missed that: Three substitutions were made.

Granger may have been the glue because of his defense when the five on the floor made their run: Sarunas, Freddie, Peja, Danny and Feisty.

Apparently because San Antonio had two bigs in the game, Nazr and Tim, Rick wanted two bigs in the lineup, putting Pollard in for Granger or Peja, depending on which way you look at it. The new shuffled lineup which was done according to Carlisle for defensive reasons failed defensively because it broke down at the swing positions.

(Fan comment: I don't care for Freddie and Jack as a tandem defensively against Bowen and Ginobili as we are then somewhat mismatched against both. Freddie is quick enough but not tall enough to shut down Ginobili; Jackson is not as strong as Bruce Bowen plus I don't think he respected his ability to go to the hoop. At least by next year, maybe earlier, I hope Danny Granger will be the one constant at the end of the game at the swing positions. Rick will then have to choose from Freddie, Peja, and Steven for the other position. What I'm trying to say here is that I think Granger would have done better than anyone else against either Bowen or Ginobili.)

In the last minute after the Spurs made their come back, both lineups were changed nearly every transition, both teams going offense and defense.

You have to give credit to the Spurs, especially Ginobili and Bowen, for coming through in crunch time. But the morning after I still wish the matchups had been different.

PacerMan
02-13-2006, 11:43 AM
I saw Peja rubbing his jaw going downcourt before he came out too. Didn't bother to try to tell the crying group. :)
Also for the others, who's to say they weren't tired and needed to come out. Or that they were dragging get back on defense. There is SO much that the average fan doesn't have a clue about.
Who's to say there wasn't a play and Jax broke it off to go one on one?

wjs
02-13-2006, 02:09 PM
Slick and Boyle specifically mentioned during the broadcast that Peja left the game because he had been hit in the head/jaw.

bnd45
02-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Are you talking about the drive by Fred. It was a pick and roll and Fred got into his sweet spot. No problems with that shot selection or lay call

You are right, but it was a high pick and roll above the top of the key. (Might as well been a clearout because you've got Foster rolling for an 20 footer) Fred was not going over Duncan with the whistles being swallowed. I would have liked a play that involved some ball movement.

Trader Joe
02-13-2006, 05:09 PM
I was at the game and Duncan obvioulsy elbowed Peja in the side of the face, and here's the real shocker, they didn't CALL it. I was so stunned.

Not.

Moses
02-13-2006, 09:36 PM
I refuse to believe Peja was hit in the head... That would be a foul and you're telling me the refs would miss a foul? :tsk:

-BBall
Dick Bavetta was in the building.

Peck
02-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Dick Bavetta was in the building.
:shakehead

Tsk Tsk tsk

That was Benet Salvatore, not Dick Baveta. He ref'd our game vs. the Trailblazers.

pizza guy
02-13-2006, 11:42 PM
I didn't have a problem with the substitution of Scot for Danny because Scot had been doing a wonderful job on Tim Duncan all night. Duncan never got into a groove and was never able to get his offense going, mostly because of the defense of Pollard, and partially because of Foster. Hulk had some problems with TD, so I was OK with him not getting a lot of minutes in this game. I understand Peja coming out because he got popped, but not Sarunas, and certainly not getting the ball in Peja's hands in the closing minute. I don't care what some may say about the little technicalities, Rick lost this game with stupid substitutions and plain bull-headedness that led him to playing AJ at the end of the game.

grace
02-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Sorry, who is Dick Bavetta?

I know of a Knick Bavetta, but Dick Bavetta? Never heard of his.....

:dancingba

Not be be confused with :dance3: or :kravitz: