PDA

View Full Version : I need to lose weight.

pacercoltfan
02-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Any suggestions! I eat too much junk food that's my problem. I was on the South Beach diet for quite a while and I just got burned out on it. I can only eat salads for a while until I just get sick of them. Some of that stuff on that diet I just plainly didn't like. (like spinache :puke:) Plus it gets expensive.

Unfortunately for me, the cravings never went away. I would like to lose about 30 pounds by summer. :(

Any suggestions. I have set a date as to when I'm going to start my diet.

As for the exercising part, money wise that won't be a problem. I have a treadmill and a bowflex. So staying motivated will be my only problem.

Shade
02-11-2006, 03:38 PM
What is your current weight, age, and height?

If you've only been eating salads, you haven't been doing South Beach correctly.

Knucklehead Warrior
02-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Don't eliminate your favorites, just cut back some. Eat those things less often and in smaller portions. Cut a cookie in half for instance.

Some of my more successful diets were when I did things like
- no potatoes
- open faced sandwiches
etc

Take smaller bites, drink lots of water.
Put some potato chips on your plate instead of eating out of the bag.

I currently promise myself I will eat 3 things everyday and it works pretty well for me: a salad, vegetable soup, 2 pieces of fruit. Then I eat whatever else I want in moderation. I also exercise regularly, but if I miss a day I don't get all bent out of shape by it.

I can also get discouraged by setting goals and then of course not meeting them, so I don't do that anymore. Instead I am making lifestyle changes and my weight slowly goes down without much intervention from me.

pollardfreek
02-11-2006, 04:12 PM
I lost about thirty pounds on the zone last year. I went from 250 to 220, then I kinda got lazy about it. I started back up a few weeks ago, and I'm trying to get down to my goal weight of 200.

*NOTE* Don't glue yourself to your scale. Weight is not very important. Pay more attention to how you look in the mirror and how your body changes. I noticed that I wouldn't be losing much weight, but I'd be losing inches off my waist.

Knucklehead Warrior
02-11-2006, 04:14 PM
I was in a weight loss contest with a coworker once. He went whole hog, eating lots of salads, being Mr. Health Conscious Diet Guy, but I won. All I did was stop eating french fries.

The absolute best way to lose weight IMO is to start a Chubs Club. The objective is to not gain weight. By default, you lose. You get all your pals together and weigh in every morning. Anyone who weighs more than their lowest recorded weight pays 25 or a dollar or whatever per pound into a pool to be paid to whoever loses the most weight that week.

So if my lowest recorded weight is 200 and I come in today and weigh 203, I'm paying 3x the penalty today and will pay again tomorrow and next day until I am back to 200. You'll be surprised how much motivation this is and almost everyone will lose weight.

You MUST weight in every day. There should probably be some penalty for non-weighers. And sometimes someone will get ticked when he gains and refuse to pay, so you need to kick in $20 or so at the start to keep everyone honest.

This really really works, it's just inconvenient.

pacercoltfan
02-11-2006, 05:12 PM
What is your current weight, age, and height?

If you've only been eating salads, you haven't been doing South Beach correctly.

29, 5 ft. 9, unfortunately around 170 :eek: I would also eat steaks and hamburgers (minus the bun) I liked that ok. Eggs I have no problem with that and I know that eggs are unlilmited. So I was ok with that because I like eggs.

I think my ideal weight is 140-145 for my height.

denyfizle
02-11-2006, 05:48 PM
the fastest way to lose weight is to do crack. :) 5'9 170 aint bad man. actually i think that's normal.

pacercoltfan
02-11-2006, 05:51 PM
the fastest way to lose weight is to do crack. :) 5'9 170 aint bad man. actually i think that's normal.

May not be bad for a guy. But being a female, it might be too much.

Shade
02-11-2006, 06:00 PM
29, 5 ft. 9, unfortunately around 170 :eek: I would also eat steaks and hamburgers (minus the bun) I liked that ok. Eggs I have no problem with that and I know that eggs are unlilmited. So I was ok with that because I like eggs.

I think my ideal weight is 140-145 for my height.

Well, I've lost 70 pounds over the last couple years, and have read up extensively on several diets including South Beach, so I may be able to help you. I'm pretty thin, but now I'm trying to build more muscle and trim up more, and eliminate the remainder of my belly fat (stubbon area; the closer I get to my goals, the more determined I am to reach them).

Here are some basic staring points for your diet:

1) Eat smaller portions of food more frequently throughout the day. This revs up your metabolism, which is key to losing weight. Eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with a small snack between each meal, and once more after dinner.

2) Drink LOTS of water. If you can get used to drinking water almost exclusively, do it. I never drank water before I started dieting, and now I have little desire to rink anything else. Water is more refreshing and doesn't leave you feeling sick. It also doesn't rot and stain your teeth.

3) Eat lean meats only. They're much lower in saturated fat, which is the fat you need to avoid. Monounsaturated fats are not only okay, but necessary to lose weight. Go for the lean beefs, lean turkey, and boneless/skinless chicken breasts. Most spices have no calories, so you can go nuts on them if you want. Use sauces only sparingly, and go for "lite" if possible. Tuna is also very good if you like it.

4) Avoid sugar where possible. Sugar causes spikes in insulin levels, which increases your cravings and makes you feel hungry when your body is technically full. Don't go nuts on sugar-free stuff either, though. Most of it contains Splenda and some people have been known to have bad reactions to it in excessive doses.

5) Eat veggies, the greener the better. Fresh is better than frozen, but either is good. Try to lean more toward green veggie like broccoli, green peppers, spinach, and my personal favorite, sugar snap peas. Adding lots of veggie to your lean meats also fills your stomach faster on a food lower in calories and fat.

6) Eat fruits. Try to avoid fruits that are super-high in sugar and calories. Berries are probably the best. Bananas and apples are good, but they're fairly high in sugar and calories, so don't go overboard on them. I personally blend my fruits with other stuff like fat-free organic milk, oatmeal, natural peanut butter, whey protein powder, and ice to make smoothies, which taste good and are good for you.

7) Avoid food with white flour. There are lots of whole-wheat (and you must get WHOLE WHEAT -- if the contents say just "wheat flour" anywhere, avoid it -- must be WHOLE wheat) breads, bagels, english muffins, and pastas out there. You need fiber, but don't go overboard. They're as high in calories as normal breads and pastas.

8) Eat breakfast. You metabolism slows down while you sleep since you haven't eaten for 8+ hours, so it's important to rev your body up with breakfast. It took me quite a while to get used to eating breakfast, but now it's instinctive for me.

9) Eggs. These are fine...in moderation. I would advise no more than two a day. They're still very high in cholesterol. I usually have a couple in the morning with some canadian bacon and whole-wheat english muffins/waffles.

10) Slow loss is fine. You will lose weight at a different pace depending on how overweight you are. Strive to drop 1-2 pounds a week. Like was said above, however, don't lock yourself to the scale. If you exercise, you should gain muscle while losing fat, and muscle weighs more than fat. Just take pictures and evaluate your looks every week or two, and see if you notice a difference. Be patient. It takes time, but it will happen.

11) Exercise. You will lose the vast bulk of your weight by dieting, but it doesn't hurt to ecercise if you can. Weight training is best, as added muscle burns additional fat. Don't hit the weights for more than an hour at a time, and give yourself 48 hours between workouts for your muscles to rest. Your muscles actually grow while they repair themselves during your rest period, so it's crucial you allow them to grow. You can also do cardio for no more than 45 minutes at a time if you like, but try to switch up your intensity levels between exercise to keep your body from adapting.

I'll try to post more later. Feel free to ask any questions you have. :)

Stryder
02-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Shade, nice post, and all very good suggestions.

pollardfreek
02-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Yeah, good job Shade. That's exactly what I do to trim down. If you don't mind me asking, what's your height and your before/after weight.

Peck
02-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Well, I've lost 70 pounds over the last couple years, and have read up extensively on several diets including South Beach, so I may be able to help you. I'm pretty thin, but now I'm trying to build more muscle and trim up more, and eliminate the remainder of my belly fat (stubbon area; the closer I get to my goals, the more determined I am to reach them).

1) Eat smaller portions of food more frequently throughout the day. This revs up your metabolism, which is key to losing weight. Eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with a small snack between each meal, and once more after dinner.

2) Drink LOTS of water. If you can get used to drinking water almost exclusively, do it. I never drank water before I started dieting, and now I have little desire to rink anything else. Water is more refreshing and doesn't leave you feeling sick. It also doesn't rot and stain your teeth.

3) Eat lean meats only. They're much lower in saturated fat, which is the fat you need to avoid. Monounsaturated fats are not only okay, but necessary to lose weight. Go for the lean beefs, lean turkey, and boneless/skinless chicken breasts. Most spices have no calories, so you can go nuts on them if you want. Use sauces only sparingly, and go for "lite" if possible. Tuna is also very good if you like it.

4) Avoid sugar where possible. Sugar causes spikes in insulin levels, which increases your cravings and makes you feel hungry when your body is technically full. Don't go nuts on sugar-free stuff either, though. Most of it contains Splenda and some people have been known to have bad reactions to it in excessive doses.

5) Eat veggies, the greener the better. Fresh is better than frozen, but either is good. Try to lean more toward green veggie like broccoli, green peppers, spinach, and my personal favorite, sugar snap peas. Adding lots of veggie to your lean meats also fills your stomach faster on a food lower in calories and fat.

6) Eat fruits. Try to avoid fruits that are super-high in sugar and calories. Berries are probably the best. Bananas and apples are good, but they're fairly high in sugar and calories, so don't go overboard on them. I personally blend my fruits with other stuff like fat-free organic milk, oatmeal, natural peanut butter, whey protein powder, and ice to make smoothies, which taste good and are good for you.

7) Avoid food with white flour. There are lots of whole-wheat (and you must get WHOLE WHEAT -- if the contents say just "wheat flour" anywhere, avoid it -- must be WHOLE wheat) breads, bagels, english muffins, and pastas out there. You need fiber, but don't go overboard. They're as high in calories as normal breads and pastas.

8) Eat breakfast. You metabolism slows down while you sleep since you haven't eaten for 8+ hours, so it's important to rev your body up with breakfast. It took me quite a while to get used to eating breakfast, but now it's instinctive for me.

9) Eggs. These are fine...in moderation. I would advise no more than two a day. They're still very high in cholesterol. I usually have a couple in the morning with some canadian bacon and whole-wheat english muffins/waffles.

10) Slow loss is fine. You will lose weight at a different pace depending on how overweight you are. Strive to drop 1-2 pounds a week. Like was said above, however, don't lock yourself to the scale. If you exercise, you should gain muscle while losing fat, and muscle weighs more than fat. Just take pictures and evaluate your looks every week or two, and see if you notice a difference. Be patient. It takes time, but it will happen.

11) Exercise. You will lose the vast bulk of your weight by dieting, but it doesn't hurt to ecercise if you can. Weight training is best, as added muscle burns additional fat. Don't hit the weights for more than an hour at a time, and give yourself 48 hours between workouts for your muscles to rest. Your muscles actually grow while they repair themselves during your rest period, so it's crucial you allow them to grow. You can also do cardio for no more than 45 minutes at a time if you like, but try to switch up your intensity levels between exercise to keep your body from adapting.

Oh go F:censored: yourself!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Have I mentioned that I hate you?

Ha, your to d@mn thin, there I said it. I'm going to force feed you 100 pieces of pizza at the next party.

Shade
02-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Yeah, good job Shade. That's exactly what I do to trim down. If you don't mind me asking, what's your height and your before/after weight.

I'm 6'3". My current weight is around 175-180 (fluctuates back and forth). My starting weight was about 245, I believe.

Shade
02-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Oh go F:censored: yourself!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Have I mentioned that I hate you?

Ha, your to d@mn thin, there I said it. I'm going to force feed you 100 pieces of pizza at the next party.

:tongue:

Heh, the problem with weight loss is that it isn't necessarily even distribution throught the body. Belly fat is the hardest to lose, and though I've dropped from a 40 waist to a 34, I have some excess belly fat that just bugs the hell out of me. I don't need to lose any weight any place else, and I've worked too damn hard to go into surgery to have a tummy-tuck. It wouldn't bother most people, but it does bother me. I also have some NASTY stretch marks. I don't know that I'll ever be able to get rid of those, so my goal is to tighten my tummy enough to where I feel comfortable going to get a tan to reduce their visibility.

And if it makes you feel any better, today was my cheat day and I just ate a lot of pizza. ;)

btowncolt
02-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Wow Shade, that sounds so eerily familiar. What's your source?

Kegboy
02-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Don't listen to any of Shade's bull****. We all know he's on the Binge-and-Purge diet. :shade: might as well be :puke:.

Maybe we need to get that Dove Self Esteem fund to help him. Don't hate yourself Shade! :hug2:

Shade
02-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Wow Shade, that sounds so eerily familiar. What's your source?

:hmm:

Don't listen to any of Shade's bull****. We all know he's on the Binge-and-Purge diet. :shade: might as well be :puke:.

Maybe we need to get that Dove Self Esteem fund to help him. Don't hate yourself Shade! :hug2:

I hate everyone. And since I fall into the category of "everyone," I hate myself by default. :devil:

McClintic Sphere
02-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Outstanding nutritional advice there Slim SHADEy. One thing that I might add that works for me is taking enzyme capsules right before I eat, which helps your body better break down the foods you are eating. Also, make sure you thoroughly chew your food before swallowing, as not only the chewing, but the enzymes in your saliva aids your digestion quite a bit.
On the water issue, I try to drink between 64oz. and a gallon every day. When you first start drinking that much water, you will feel like you're forcing it and will also pee like a mother. Soon thereafter your body will start craving it when you don't drink that much and the frequency of need to urinate will decrease. Plus, it helps the neurotransmitters in your brain, like Seratonin and Dopamine, operate much more efficiently. I've also found the natural seratonin supplement 5-HTP helps reduce carb cravings. Often, compulsive issues, like overeating can be traced to brain chemistry problems. A seriously informative book about brain chemistry: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471374229/103-7458088-4766216?v=glance&n=283155
Shade, I can't believe you were 245. Did you play middle linebacker or nose tackle?

pacercoltfan
02-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Thanks everybody! I am extremely serious about this! My only weakness really is I love Chocolate. I was also wondering, do any of you take vitamins, fat burners etc. I was taking cortislim the last time. I've also taken cla, and one a day weight smart as well.

Not all at once though! :D

btowncolt
02-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Outstanding nutritional advice there Slim SHADEy. One thing that I might add that works for me is taking enzyme capsules right before I eat, which helps your body better break down the foods you are eating. Also, make sure you thoroughly chew your food before swallowing, as not only the chewing, but the enzymes in your saliva aids your digestion quite a bit.
On the water issue, I try to drink between 64oz. and a gallon every day. When you first start drinking that much water, you will feel like you're forcing it and will also pee like a mother. Soon thereafter your body will start craving it when you don't drink that much and the frequency of need to urinate will decrease. Plus, it helps the neurotransmitters in your brain, like Seratonin and Dopamine, operate much more efficiently. I've also found the natural seratonin supplement 5-HTP helps reduce carb cravings. Often, compulsive issues, like overeating can be traced to brain chemistry problems. A seriously informative book about brain chemistry: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471374229/103-7458088-4766216?v=glance&n=283155
Shade, I can't believe you were 245. Did you play middle linebacker or nose tackle?

I've been drinking that much water for forever and I still pee every 20 seconds.

btowncolt
02-13-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks everybody! I am extremely serious about this! My only weakness really is I love Chocolate. I was also wondering, do any of you take vitamins, fat burners etc. I was taking cortislim the last time. I've also taken cla, and one a day weight smart as well.

I take a daily vitamin rich in chromium and B6 and B12. Helps the metabolism.

McClintic Sphere
02-13-2006, 02:11 PM
I've been drinking that much water for forever and I still pee every 20 seconds.

You need a catheter and/or adult Depends.

btowncolt
02-13-2006, 02:17 PM
You need a catheter and/or adult Depends.

I know, I can't leave the desk. The bathroom is on the side of the office that faces the White House area and I've heard Cheney has been a little trigger happy recently......

cramerica
02-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Does stuff like hydroxycut help? What's the best weight-loss pill if there is one?

Doug
02-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Does stuff like hydroxycut help? What's the best weight-loss pill if there is one?

I would avoid anything that jerks around your metabolism. I've read lots of stories of people having trouble getting their metabolism back on track after stopping whatever they were taking.

The best way to rev up your metabolism is to exercise.

If you want to try a program from a book, Body-for-Life is pretty good. You can probably find it pretty cheap at Half-Price books. Don't expect to look like the people in the book unless you just happen to have the right genetics. And ignore the EAS sales pitch - real food is better than suppliments. And eat more veggies than he says. And don't expect it to be easy. It's a disiplined diet and lots of exercise - if you follow it, you will get results. If you do it half-heartedly, don't expect much. That last statement is probably true of anything.

pacercoltfan
02-13-2006, 06:22 PM
The only thing I really hate about being on a diet, is that I'm always hungry. :whoknows:

On the other hand, I don't want to be 600 pounds eather. :lol:

btowncolt
02-13-2006, 06:23 PM
The only thing I really hate about being on a diet, is that I'm always hungry. :whoknows:

No! 6 smaller meals throughout the day!

Any diet that makes you always hungry isn't a long-term solution for anything.

SoupIsGood
02-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Tuna is also very good if you like it.

:rock:

Tuna, grapes, and water. I could live off of that stuff. Yummm

317Kim
02-13-2006, 06:33 PM
:rock:

Tuna, grapes, and water. I could live off of that stuff. Yummm

Don't forget babies.

I like grapefruit alot. Cereal. Salad. souper salads. all good stuff :)

SoupIsGood
02-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Don't forget babies.

I like grapefruit alot. Cereal. Salad. souper salads. all good stuff :)

oh yeah, the green stuff! Salads and PEASSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! Good stuff!

Pig Nash
02-13-2006, 06:36 PM
I need to lose some weight, but Tennis should take care of that this spring.

317Kim
02-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Tennis works up a sweat but when I really wanna sweat: basketball. :nod:

Ping Pongs pretty cool too.

SoupIsGood
02-13-2006, 06:41 PM

Ping Pong is great! I am a major ping pong choker though, I always give the game away at the end.

I am a big fan of running :nod:

317Kim
02-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Ping Pong = :cool2:

I'm a natural forehand but can play both. I used to have these drills that helped me go from forehand to backhand and now I'm getting really fast.

SoupIsGood
02-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Ping Pong = :cool2:

I'm a natural forehand but can play both. I used to have these drills that helped me go from forehand to backhand and now I'm getting really fast.

I prefer to play backhand, but found that if I switch forehand/backhand whenever I start making stupid mistakes.... it seems to help somehow... prolly only in my head :p

317Kim
02-13-2006, 06:53 PM
teeheehee...I have this funky rubber for playin backhand and it's hard for other people to return the ball. :devil: :evillaugh I'm GOOOOOD.

SoupIsGood
02-13-2006, 06:53 PM
teeheehee...I have this funky rubber for playin backhand and it's hard for other people to return the ball. :devil: :evillaugh I'm GOOOOOD.

a rubber? :yikes:

317Kim
02-13-2006, 06:54 PM
:nono: get your mind outta the gutter. A RUBBER FOR THE PING PONG PADDLE!

SoupIsGood
02-13-2006, 06:55 PM
:nono: get your mind outta the gutter. A RUBBER FOR THE PING PONG PADDLE!

still don't know what you mean! What does it do?

317Kim
02-13-2006, 06:56 PM
it's bumpy so when I hit the ball it goes down and it's hard to hit for the other guy. Completely legal though.

SoupIsGood
02-13-2006, 06:57 PM
it's bumpy so when I hit the ball it goes down and it's hard to hit for the other guy. Completely legal though.

I just smack the ball as hard as I can.

317Kim
02-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I'm a power hitter too but my uncle who's one of the Champs in Indy hada teach me how to time the right shot etc etc etc it has to be the right height and at the right speed and I'll SLAM IT! Kind of like a Hulk Smash :nod:

SoupIsGood
02-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Yeah, I'm a power hitter too but my uncle who's one of the Champs in Indy hada teach me how to time the right shot etc etc etc it has to be the right height and at the right speed and I'll SLAM IT! Kind of like a Hulk Smash :nod:

I lose when I try to jus hit back and forth with someone, so I just make every shot come at them as fast as I can

317Kim
02-13-2006, 07:04 PM
:chuckle: If it's works for you!

Doug
02-13-2006, 07:31 PM
No! 6 smaller meals throughout the day!

Any diet that makes you always hungry isn't a long-term solution for anything.
Exactly! When my wife says "I'm hungry" to complain about her diet, my answer is always "Well, eat!"

Of course, it's what you eat, and how much, that makes the difference.

Planning is key. I buy all of the food I eat at work for the week on Monday morning. That way I'm not tempted to go get fast food during the week. When the guy at the deli counter in Marsh sees me coming, he starts looking for the grilled chicken breasts. True. He just asks "how many?"

McClintic Sphere
02-13-2006, 07:41 PM
I am a big fan of running :nod:

Can I count on you as a fellow 500 Mini-marathon participant this year?

Planning is key. I buy all of the food I eat at work for the week on Monday morning.

I wish I had just an iota of that left-braindedness in me. However, I end up scrounging the fridge most mornings before work. Although, my wife is pretty health conscious and the leftovers are uniformly pretty nutricious... I'm a sucker for the Marsh poultry as well. Got a big ole' hunka turkey breast from there just today.

Doug
02-13-2006, 09:30 PM
I wish I had just an iota of that left-braindedness in me. However, I end up scrounging the fridge most mornings before work. Although, my wife is pretty health conscious and the leftovers are uniformly pretty nutricious... I'm a sucker for the Marsh poultry as well. Got a big ole' hunka turkey breast from there just today.

I helps that I don't mind eating the same thing over and over. My normal Monday morning shopping list is:

5 16oz containers of fat free cottege cheese
10 apples
10 bananas (or the equivelant in pineapple, strawberries, etc.)
7 chicken breasts (1.5 - 1.8 lbs total)
Quaker oatmeal (the thick, chewy, nothing but oats type)

This week I made some extra wild/long grain/brown rice last night, so I'm mixing the chicken with the rice and some terriaki sauce - very good. That means no oatmeal this week, which is good because I really hate oatmeal.

I used to eat a lot of Marsh's "all-natural" turkey breast. Usually with tabasco or some other hot sauce. But once I figured out that the grilled chicken breasts were only another dollar a pound I switched and haven't been back (unless they are out of chicken).

I have too much sodium and caffine in my diet, but I figure the large amount of water I drink offsets that pretty well. And I don't eat enough veggies.

I usually have a balance bar first thing in the morning if I'm playing basketball or lifting before work.

Hummm... I should have put this in the "what have you eaten today" thread.

And as further proof that you don't have to be hungery to lose weight, at the time I reached my lowest weight since freshman year in high school I was eating 3,200 - 3,400 calories a day.

I'm not at that weight any more. I was universially told by my family that I was too skinny and looked like P.O.W. I am about 14 pounds heavier than I want to be right now, so I'm looking to lose weight too. I hurt my achilles and didn't work out for 3 months. So I'm getting strict about my snacking and my weekends again. I was 188 this morning and want to get back to 174. It's much less pounding on my joints playing basketball.

Oh, it is also good advice to ignore the scale. The scale lies.

Pig Nash
02-13-2006, 09:35 PM

I like basketball, but you have to get like five other people to play a real game. With tennis, you only need one other person. Also I'm much better at tennis than I am at basketball, like a lot better.

cramerica
02-14-2006, 12:29 AM
I prefer basketball, but the wife likes Tennis. I just feel like there is more running in basketball then there is in tennis.

8.9_seconds
02-14-2006, 01:13 AM
I love running, but always get way too ambitious and go from my first day back running where I'll start with 2 miles and then two days later go to 7 miles and screw up my shins and hip. But Running is definately one of my favorite things in the world.

beaversnducks311
02-14-2006, 01:31 AM
i'm also a 5'9''ish female. I'm 19, and about a month ago i weighed 181 pounds. i actually just weighed myself tonight when i went to the gym, and i weigh 172. although it's not as much as i'd like to lose, i'm getting there slowly. i havent cut out sweets completely, i just dont' eat as much. i also don't eat a lot at one meal. i've found that eating 4 or five "little" meals, while inconvient at times, seems to work better for me.

i also make sure i go to the gym at least 3 times a week, and work out for about 45min-1 hour. i run on a machine for about 15 min and then lift some weights and do some pushups and crunches. it's really helped. and not only my weight, but i tend to feel better both physically and emotionally. My roommate goes with me; i think that is important, to have a buddy. :)

hope this helps, i thought it might with us being the same heighth and close to the same weight.

sincerely,

beavsnducks

SycamoreKen
02-14-2006, 08:09 AM
I would recommend Weight Watchers on-line. My wife and I have been on it andsince January 23th and I have lost 13 pounds and my body fat has gone down 4%. Using the points system you can eat most foods, you just have to fit them in. We eat mostly Lean Cuisene & Weight Watchers meals. That makes shopping and dinner prep much easier, since we both work. I am full after eating and only have the occational snack such as the sweets below of baked chips.

WW has a line of sweets that fit the plan but are portioned well. We also go out to eat once a week, but make sure we plan for it points wise. Applebee's has a few meals that are "pointed" through WW and they are very good.

I try to exercise 3 time a week, but I don't always get it in. Still, I'm wearing pants now I couldn't 3 weeks ago, so something is working.

Oh yea, one Hershey's kiss is 0points, so I do cover the chocolate cravings, just in moderation.

Harmonica
02-14-2006, 10:18 AM
WW. Every woman I know who's done it after having a kid looked great in a couple of months. The pounds melted away. I don't know about the on-line bit, they did it in person.

Gyron
02-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Well from the last couple days, I can tell you that food poisoning is a good way to drop weight....Cause there sure as hell ain't anything left in me....And I can't keep anything down long enough to make a difference.

Edit: I just got on the scale, I've dropped 4 lbs in 2 days:(

abington
02-14-2006, 12:01 PM

About as good of a post as you can get on this issue. I would only add that I am a workout/weightlifting junkie and am 5'10 230 and would be cut at about 195 so im pretty far off but that is the challenge. I would say that moderate excersise/weighttraining/yoga or some combination is a must for anyone serious about keeping weight off. Whey Protein shakes that are low carb without the dextrose are an excellent midnight snack for those with a late-night sweet craving. Blend with water and ice and a small amount of organic peanut butter and you have a combination that will allow your body to continue to lose weight during the sleep hours.

pacercoltfan
02-14-2006, 10:12 PM
I've made up my mind, I'm starting my diet next week! I'm just plain sick of the way my clothes fit! :mad:

Shade
02-14-2006, 10:26 PM
I've made up my mind, I'm starting my diet next week! I'm just plain sick of the way my clothes fit! :mad:

Keep us posted, and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

As for me, I'm going to try focusing on building muscle more than losing fat, and hope for the best. I can't get any thinner in some places without disappearing. The only thing I'm trying to get rid of is the last of my lower belly fat. Arrgh. :mad:

fooddaman
02-15-2006, 12:25 AM
I need to join you on the weight loss, I always eat way too much.

I have also heard that it is wise to eat a big breakfast and then make lunch and dinner smaller meals. Any thoughts on that?

indypacerfan54
02-15-2006, 12:40 AM
this topic is actually my forte. I am an exercise sci grad. The best way to lose weight safely is exercise regularly, eat foods as close to the source they came from and eat in moderation.

cut out all pop, if you eat fruit stay away from nutrional empty fruits like grapes and pineapple(you might as eat candy) dark leafy vegetables and legumes are very nutrient dense.

stay away from simple sugars and cut down on fat.

there is no magic pill to help you loose weight. besides if there was youd be on it for life and the company that develops it would be the richest company in the world....STAY AWAY FROM "DIET PILLS"

you need to increase lean muscle to burn fat and also do lots of cardio too

Gyron
02-15-2006, 10:05 AM
Update, Finally over the "food poisoning" or "virus"(doctor wasn't sure which it was) and dropped 7 lbs in 3 days......Now to slowly get back to eating....

Wow was that fun......

mugsy27
02-15-2006, 02:05 PM
if you eat fruit stay away from nutrional empty fruits like grapes and pineapple(you might as eat candy

i eat 1cup of grapes and an orange every morning, along with a cup of apple sauce and a hardboiled egg.

if grapes r no good..then what do u suggest? and what are your thoughts on oranges?

pacercoltfan
02-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Keep us posted, and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

As for me, I'm going to try focusing on building muscle more than losing fat, and hope for the best. I can't get any thinner in some places without disappearing. The only thing I'm trying to get rid of is the last of my lower belly fat. Arrgh. :mad:

Thanks! I've actually somewhat started it now. I haven't taken any brownies in my lunch box to work. I still eat cookies at first break. This week I've taken South Beach diet dinners to work to eat for lunch instead of the other.

My biggest problem will be when I get home from work! :eek: That's when I want to eat everything in site. :eek: Right now, I'm eating baby carrots instead of Taco Bell, McDonalds, etc. :D

Is it true that raw carrots actually require more calories to digest then they contain? I've always heard that.

And I absolutely :love: sugar snap peas!

btowncolt
02-15-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks! I've actually somewhat started it now. I haven't taken any brownies in my lunch box to work. I still eat cookies at first break. This week I've taken South Beach diet dinners to work to eat for lunch instead of the other.

My biggest problem will be when I get home from work! :eek: That's when I want to eat everything in site. :eek: Right now, I'm eating baby carrots instead of Taco Bell, McDonalds, etc. :D

Is it true that raw carrots actually require more calories to digest then they contain? I've always heard that.

Don't know what to tell you about the carrots. They're healthy, though.

But how you mentally frame all this is very important. If you start to tell yourself that you're replacing foods you "like" with foods you "have to eat", this becomes a punishment for you, and won't last very long.

Shade detailed a good method, but it's important to know there are hundreds of really good, really healthy things you can eat where you won't miss that other stuff at all. And you won't start to think of it as depriving yourself of something. The most important thing in all of this is to eat balanced food groups, because cutting something out of your diet just won't work in the long term. Your body has to have fat, sugar, carbs, and protien. It's just the quantities and ratios that are important, along with your level of physical activity.

pacercoltfan
02-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Ok I started my diet "officially" today. I think I'll stay with the South Beach Diet. It seemed pretty easy to stick with. I also started my exercising today as well. (man I'm a weakling :D )

It's 1:00 and I've already drank 44oz. of water :eek:!

For breakfast I had some scrambled eggs and tomato juice.

Lunch I'll probably have a salad with tuna with water or tea to drink.

I just gotta keep on telling myself that I didn't put the weight on overnight, so I won't be able to lose the weight overnight as well!

brich
02-21-2006, 10:49 AM
I would recommend Weight Watchers on-line. My wife and I have been on it andsince January 23th and I have lost 13 pounds and my body fat has gone down 4%. Using the points system you can eat most foods, you just have to fit them in. We eat mostly Lean Cuisene & Weight Watchers meals. That makes shopping and dinner prep much easier, since we both work. I am full after eating and only have the occational snack such as the sweets below of baked chips.

WW has a line of sweets that fit the plan but are portioned well. We also go out to eat once a week, but make sure we plan for it points wise. Applebee's has a few meals that are "pointed" through WW and they are very good.

I try to exercise 3 time a week, but I don't always get it in. Still, I'm wearing pants now I couldn't 3 weeks ago, so something is working.

Oh yea, one Hershey's kiss is 0points, so I do cover the chocolate cravings, just in moderation.

Different programs work for different people, based on personality, environment, etc., but I also am a fan of Weight Watchers. They have a couple of different plans you can be on, one where you count "points," and one where you don't. I was afraid that this was going to be a huge pain in the rear to tabulate, and at first it was, but after awhile, you kind of know what the point values of your favorite foods are.

The nice thing about weight watchers is that you can adapt virtually any diet to it. You can eat the Zone way, the Atkins way, or the South Beach way, as long as you stay within in your points range. Weight Watchers allows you to eat virtually anything while on the plan, but there is a price to pay when you opt for high calorie/high fat foods. The more you excercise, the more you can eat, and you are allowed to eat more if you weigh more.

I go the meetings, and it helps me that I have to be accountable every week. It is also good to go to the meetings, because if you have a bad day/week, and realistically you will, then they can help you get back on track. If you have a health care account at work (flex spending fund), then you can pay for the meeting fees out of it as long as you have a doctors note.

Whether you decide this route or not, I will suggest a couple of other things that help me:

1) Keep a diary of what you eat, even if it is only for a week. Try to notice trends when you are consuming too much. I was amazed at how much I was consuming in the evenings.

2) Try to slow down when you eat. It takes the body something like 15 minutes to realize it is full. If you eat fast, then you tend to overeat.

3) Be careful when going out to eat. The portion sizes are for two or three people. One helpful tip is to ask for the take away container at the beginning of the meal. Just put half of your meal in the container at the beginning, and you won't be tempted to scarf down the whole thing. Also, beware of bread and tortilla chips that are on the table when you get there. It is usually easier to have the waiter/waitress take this stuff away when you sit down. There are healthy options and almost any restaurant these days, even fast food.

4) You can help burn off extra calories every day by doing simple things like taking the stairs and/or parking at the back of the parking lot. Little things add up over time.

5) Set goals for weight loss and/or excercise. These can be short term, mid-term, or long term. It helps guide you, and you can get a sense of accomplishment along the way. Reward yourself with something besides food as you hit your goals. It sometimes helps to define why you are trying to get the weight off. It could be simply to increase your energy level, or it could be for health reasons. Whatever the reason, you want to start your journey with a direction, a compass, and a purpose.

6) If you are an emotional eater, then try to find out what your triggers are, and try to reprogram yourself to do something else, like excercise. Many times eating too much is a symptom, not the problem. If you don't address the problem, then the symptoms tend to come back.

7) Break bad habits. There are lots of bad habits, like cleaning your plate at every meal, that are tough to break. Some of that stuff gets programmed in when you are a kid, and are very challenging to change.

8) Moderate alcohol consumption. I don't know if you drink or not, but sometimes drinks lead to starches and other bad decisions. In moderation, it is fine, but in addition to cravings, too much can also slow down your metabolism.

9) I am not an expert on this, but I have heard from many people that many diet drinks containing aspartame can lead to unhealthy cravings for sweets, etc. Maybe somebody else on here knows more about this and can elaborate.

Anyway...hope some of this helps, and most importantly, Good Luck!