PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Mavericks- time to notice them?

Slick Pinkham
02-10-2006, 10:25 AM
The Mavericks are easy to dislike because of Cuban and Dirk, and easy to dismiss because of past playoff failures and being so perimeter-oriented.

But seriously, you have to admit they are getting better and better and Avery Johnson looks to be a young coaching star in his 2nd season as head coach.

Their D may not be playoff ready but they are definitely a whole lot better than they used to be. Yeah, yeah… Dirk is soft and they are soft in the middle with Diop/Dampier, but they are starting to play great team defense. They have good athleticism, and both Stackhouse and Van Horn agive them a veteran toughness and leadership off the bench.

I’m starting to think that they could cause a problem for San Antonio. I still favor the Spurs if Duncan returns to form, but I don’t think you can safely dismiss the Mavericks anymore.

Their perimeter game, reliance on the jump shot, good team defense despite having some average defenders to hide, and apparent good team chemistry reminds me a little of our 2000 finals team.

sweabs
02-10-2006, 10:32 AM
I think Josh Howard is one of the most underrated players in the league.

Now that guy is versatile. He can do it all, can't he? I mean, he's got long arms that block shots and get steals, he can hit open jumpers, and he has a post game...not to mention he can rebound. He's a very good perimeter defender as well. He's the perfect guy at that spot for the Mavs, and I think he's more important to that starting lineup than people give him credit for.

SwissExpress
02-10-2006, 10:34 AM
The Mavericks are easy to dislike because of Cuban and Dirk, and easy to dismiss because of past playoff failures and being so perimeter-oriented.

It sounds so strange for a European ear that a team can be disliked because of Dirk that I felt a need to make it in Bold, even though I've heard it several times on this board already:)

I would like them to come out of the West.

PS: DeSagana Diop of Dallas is gradually surpassing Bowen as the least statistically-noticeable starter in an NBA contender.

Slick Pinkham
02-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Dirk seems to not be very popular. He comes across as the ultimate whiner, complaining to the officials on virtually every possession.

The dude is one heck of a matchup problem, though, with his size and shot.

3ballinhoop
02-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Of course you need to notice them. 13 wins in a row is crazy, right now, they are simply the best team in the NBA. Why would you dislike Nowitzki? He is a pretty nice guy really and he doesn't speak like a gangster from the hood. The guy is so talented few players can match it.
With the Mavs owning the NBA and him being third in the MVP vote last year, the chance gets higher and higher that he'll be the MVP this year. Of coure two foreigners in a row after Nash might not happen, but there is a good chance. It is of course interesting to see that the Mavs lost the coming MVP, and stayed on the same or better level. Apparently it didn't hurt them that much to lose that MVP. Losing Dirk however would probably make the Mavs miss the playoffs, a feature Kobe Bryant is spoiling us with..

Moses
02-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Of course you need to notice them. 13 wins in a row is crazy, right now, they are simply the best team in the NBA. Why would you dislike Nowitzki? He is a pretty nice guy really and he doesn't speak like a gangster from the hood. The guy is so talented few players can match it.
With the Mavs owning the NBA and him being third in the MVP vote last year, the chance gets higher and higher that he'll be the MVP this year. Of coure two foreigners in a row after Nash might not happen, but there is a good chance. It is of course interesting to see that the Mavs lost the coming MVP, and stayed on the same or better level. Apparently it didn't hurt them that much to lose that MVP. Losing Dirk however would probably make the Mavs miss the playoffs, a feature Kobe Bryant is spoiling us with..
So just because some stars speak with slang makes them mean people? I love the mentality that so many NBA fans have that just because they speak with slang and grew up on the streets that they are gangsters who carry around pistols and spit on fans. It's unintentional racism IMO but thats beside the point.

Dirk is a nice guy but comes off as a complete *** alot of times because he whines so much to the officials and can be jealous of other athletes. IE when asked of Kobes 81 points he criticized Kobe saying that it was a team game and he would never go for 81 which we all know is complete bull****. On top of that, Dirk is just easy to find annoying for alot of people.

SoThenRobbieSaid
02-10-2006, 01:42 PM
I'll tell you what, my ESPN 2K5 matches with my brother (he loves Dallas, and I was always the Blue & Gold) were something else. Realistically, we never thought Dallas had the D to make it out the West. But...this year...

are you serious? Wow. Avery has those boys FINALLY playing team defense, and it's incredible. Dallas WILL come out of the West, in my bold prediction. As much as I love our bench, they're awfully deep. Speaking of the bench, what can you say about Devin Harris? And the fact they have Stackhouse...coming off the bench. That's nuts. Daniels and Howard are getting better each day, Dallas brought out the best of Diop, Dirk and Terry are Dirk and Terry, Dampier (when he shows up) is tough, plus Griffin and Van Horn, quality guys who know (and play) their roles very well. Most importantly...THEY SMOKED DETROIT BY ALMOST 40. If they stay healthy (which team can't you say that about though...Read-Bobcats), they are going to be right in the the thick of things come title time.

Fireball Kid
02-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Charles Barkley from TNT always comes up with some lame reason why the Dallas Mavericks will never beat the Spurs when they meet in the 2nd round of the playoffs. I just ask myself "How can this guy make fun of our defense when were finally becoming one of the best in the league?"

Well, during the halftime show, Reggie Miller made a comment saying something like "Don't be suprised if the Dallas Mavericks actually beat the Spurs this time" and nobody shouldnt.

Than Charles Barkley came up with yet another reason why the Spurs will go back to the NBA Finals. The reason? Dirk Nowitzki is our weakest defender and cannot stop Tim Duncan. I will admit, Dirk is our weakest defender. It has improved a bit, but he still has trouble defending against good postup players.
But I have faith in Avery. I mean just look what he did with the center situation. Benching Erick Dampier may be the defining move of the season because ever since that, Erick actually plays better when he comes off the bench. We have the best center rotation in the NBA I think. Plus, I think Josh Howard is gonna shut down Manu Ginobili when they meet in the playoffs. I really like our chances.

Moses
02-10-2006, 01:55 PM
After that win over the heat last night, It's hard not to say they aren't a top 3 team in the NBA. They have an extraordinarily deep and talented team and have ALOT of guys that can come off the bench and spark their offense to go if their starters aren't coming out hot. It's good news for them because they can afford not to keep a star player because they have so much depth and quality at nearly every position.

Slick Pinkham
02-10-2006, 02:03 PM
We have the best center rotation in the NBA I think.

:lmao:

I like your team and think that they can step up in the playoffs this year, but lets not get carried away here.

Diop = awful but big
Dampier = worse but paid much more

You get some decent D from them, but they are servicable at best.

Shaq-Mourning, Ilgauskas-Varejao, Ming-Mutombo, Amare-KThomas (when Amare's back), Camby-Elston, Magliore-Gadzuric, and Kamen-Wilcox are all superior.

I'd also take Foster-Harrison before them, espeically considering Jermaine will also spend some of his time at the 5.

denyfizle
02-10-2006, 02:04 PM
ill wait and see til the playoffs.

sweabs
02-10-2006, 02:08 PM
I like your team and think that they can step up in the playoffs this year, but lets not get carried away here.

Diop = awful but big

Shaq-Mourning, Ilgauskas-Varejao, Ming-Mutombo, Amare-KThomas (when Amare's back), Camby-Elston, Magliore-Gadzuric, and Kamen-Wilcox are all superior.

I'd also take Foster-Harrison before them, espeically considering Jermaine will also spend some of his time at the 5.

Thank you sir, I was going to point out the same thing.

It's not the best centre rotation in the league. The other combo. that I would throw out there would be Pryzbilla / Ratliff.

Anthem
02-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Best center combo in the league? You've got to be kidding!

3Ball
02-10-2006, 02:47 PM

Diop = awful but big

True, true, but how about this: a pretty good center rotation considering that neither center is a top 8 player ON THEIR TEAM. For most of those other teams, at least one of those centers is the best or second best guy on the squad. It's impressive to be able to hold down the position reasonably well knowing that you're stocked at other positions.

Here's the real problem: Damp and Diop are both incosistant, and when they aren't playing, it's often Dirk and Van Horn. Crazy matchups on offense, but on defense they may as well just stand up two 7-foot sticks of butter in the low post and pray.

Also, they are still inconsistant offensively. Folks always point to their poor defense in the playoffs for their losses. That's true, but it isn't like they are losing many playoff games 155-160. The reality is that they win as long as their offense is smoking. But in a 7 game series, teams figure them out, and they aren't able to score at will. THEN, their defense isn't able to clamp down and make the difference. They still need a offensive threat for when the jump shots aren't falling.

Fireball Kid
02-10-2006, 04:50 PM
You all have some valid points, and I will respect your opinions.

18to88
02-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Dallas has always been my 2nd favorite NBA team and favorite in the West. Why do people hate Dirk? One of the best players in the league!

CableKC
02-10-2006, 05:12 PM
They may not be the best Center rotation in the league....but the Mavs don't need or really use them in the offense cuz there is no real need to.

They may not be the greatest combo...they are what they are.......2 big and wide bodied Centers that do not stray from the paint....takes up alot of space in the middle to clog up the paint...provide some acceptable rebounding and block shots.

Fool
02-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Dirk got a lot of hate for the way he handled the Dampier incident in the playoffs last year.

KingsFan
02-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Lack of leadership is one of the reason why we (Kings) were hurting this season, not sure if Ron can be the one. I liked the way Dirk acted regards to Dampier. If you remember right after that game Dampier started killing at the boards. You gotta kick some a** in the POs, if you have to.

D-BONE
02-10-2006, 06:39 PM
I remember that, too, Kings Fan. Dampier was off the hook the game after Dirk piped up. I dig Nowitzki. Excellent player.

SoupIsGood
02-10-2006, 07:03 PM
They will not be in the finals until they find some post scoring.

I don't really like Dirk, he seems really pissy

larry
02-10-2006, 07:27 PM
if i was placing a bet today, who makes it out of the west? dallas, because the spurs seem 2 have lost a step. i may change my tune if san an builds up a head of steam late, but the oppisite of what chuck says is $! u gotta love charles, still.

Eindar
02-10-2006, 07:37 PM
I got to watch the game last night (wife was otherwise occupied!) and the Mavs are ON FIRE. The main knock is that they don't have a post game good enough to win it all, and that may be true, but I'm not so sure. It seems Dirk can take his guy off the dribble or post him up, whichever is easier. I think he'll really struggle against Rasheed, but I'd say the Mavs are the favorites in the West right now.