PDA

View Full Version : Medical issues (not related to Tinsley/JO)

SwissExpress
02-10-2006, 09:02 AM
First and foremost, I want to share an interesting recent article on Ilgauskas' medical state and career in general I found today. It seems the man is playing under very strong pain all the time and has already had plenty of "silent" traumas this season. It makes you wonder how big of an impact differences in mental strength and determination have for overcoming an image of "injury prone". It also gives a bit of food for thought on how good medical staff Cavs currently have. It's way to big to post.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1139564781314050.xml&coll=2

Also, while I was a bit dissapointed he's not an All-star this year, I'm starting to change my opinion as the man really needs some rest during that break... Hmmm, also, while I might be not his greatest fan, I'm starting to think he should have a movie made about his career once he retires...:)

SwissExpress
02-10-2006, 09:10 AM
PS: take into account it's 5 pages. You'll have to select other pages manually in the menu below the text. They'll ask to input some data then, but the easiest way to overcome that is to press "non-US" or similar hyperlink.

Moses
02-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Ouch.

Some guys just have that kind of passion for the game. While I am happy to see that he fights through the pain just to play the game, I would be concerned for him if I was close to him. Having your feet constantly swell up from previous injuries and the fact you have to get new screws implanted into them to hold it together makes you kind of wonder how long he can hold up and what he is doing to himself in the long term.

Every big man succumbs to foot/ankle injuries, it just all comes down to how much pain you can tolerate and what you think is best for your future. Still, the guy is probably the most under-rated center in the NBA.

and_
02-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Even after all his injuries the bigest disappointment is that he never comes to play for his National team and gives all his best to Cleavland

SwissExpress
02-13-2006, 06:39 PM
Even after all his injuries the bigest disappointment is that he never comes to play for his National team and gives all his best to Cleavland

No, the dissapointment here is that he never was able to really give his best to anyone, including Cleveland. Well, at least during 10 latter years.

He obviously needs at least 3 moths of complete rest annually, and some 3 more monthes of "easy mode". Participation in any international tournament would limit his holidays to 2 weeks, which would probably lead to very early retirement. In the worst case, it might lead to a wheelchair. Ilgauskas' feet remind me of Bender's situation with his knees, only the former made a decision to take the risk.

I rather often hear similar dissapointment from Lithuanian fans as regards Ilgauskas' reluctance to represent his country. I can't agree, and it even makes me wonder if Lithuanian basketball perception isn't a bit too much anti-individualistic in some cases. To my opinion, Ilgauskas's carrier is one of the most impressive stories of Lithuanian basketball in recent decade but it is so very under-appreciated in his own country.