PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here Satisfied With Their Current Job?

obnoxiousmodesty
02-10-2006, 08:58 AM
Spurred on by Hick's thread (http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19174) on jobs and the accompanying comments thereafter, I began to wonder if anyone here is actually happy or at least satisfied with their current employment. I honestly don't remember any happy job-related threads, while I recall at least a handful of unhappy discussions on the subject.

I say this because I'm happy to have my current job. I work at Purdue's Printing Services as a copy center operator. Basically, I take job orders for things like exams, letters, brochures, and even books, scan them in, set them up using our software, and then print them out en masse. We have two large Canon printers that each prints up to 125 pages per minute.

It's not a glamorous job, or even a high-paying one really (I'm paid $10/hr), but the environment is relatively pleasant and the job is allowing me to finish up my undergrad degree. Believe me, it's taken me forever to get this damn degree, and I'm thankful to be an employee at a university so I get loads of great benefits. Plus, I work with a great group of people and while the job can be stressful at times, I don't have to care about it. What I mean by that is, when I leave work, I don't take work home with me. And as a full-time college student that's a full-time worker, I can use all the stress-free time I can find. I won't be there for long, but for these reasons, I'm pretty happy with my current job.

So... anyone else pleased with their current situation or am I alone in this?

Kat
02-10-2006, 10:19 AM
So... anyone else pleased with their current situation or am I alone in this?

Alone, man. Totally alone. :tongue:

Vicious Tyrant
02-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Even though I just posted about changing jobs via grad school, I love my job.

Juvie Probation is where the action is. You get to be a weird combination of cop and social worker who can occasionally totally ***** out thirteen year old truants! Ack! Yes!

Plus, I make just enough that my wife can stay home with the kids. Sure, we keep out belts tight, but that's part of the fun.

I should mention that I was almost suicidal I hated work so much for almost fifteen years, so its been long strange trip.

McClintic Sphere
02-10-2006, 10:43 AM
My memories of truant officers are colored by the guy in A Clockwork Orange named Mr.Deltoid. "There was a bit of nastiness last night, Alex, yes?"

Natston
02-10-2006, 12:18 PM
I like my job as a delivery driver because the money is great and I like the atmosphere for the most part. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm a blue collar guy who does just about anything they need. I get along with just about everyone, and I don't complain. I have remained loyal through the tough times and I rarely get stressed out during the rough times because of my naturallystonedness. I have been given some liberties and responsibilities because of all of that but then something happened.

The idea of pay raises came up not too long and some of us were told they would happen. We waited patiently and asked about them every so often. Then not to long ago they happened but very quietly. To my surprise, I didn't get one. The driver that had been hired several months after me and has the same duties as me, the driver that does the JV runs (day shift) who also started after me, an instore who made the same as I do now (who truly deserved the pay raise), and a day manager who at times is lazy (whole different story) got pay raises. A week after the pay raises happened, I got to hear the justifications for all them. Everything the GM mentioned as a justifiction for them is something that I do or did. She basically made it sound like the ones that got them this time were the ones that deserved it. When I obviously got pissed about it, she said something to the effect of that it didn't mean I wouldn't get one eventually. Which I think means keep up the good work with the false hope of getting anything in return.

Here the pay scale for the drivers:

Newbies
<
Me, Brick Tamland Jr. (Who pretty much refuses to take runs most times and takes forever on the runs he does take), and Dirty Old Man (Who is an *******, slow as molasses when taking deliveries, steals runs whenever he can, lazy as hell and all around pervert who acts like he's five)
<
The two drivers mentioned above
<
Ex GM who gets paid like he's a manger but he just carries the title of driver and does as little as possible. He also acts like he's five.

There's also the ex-drivers who are managers that drive every once awhile and get paid their normal manager wage (which kills the labor %).

I've tried to become disgruntled and "earn" my lower wage, but I just can't do it. I still out work people there and get back from my runs quicker than most. :censored:

Kegboy
02-10-2006, 12:20 PM
As of right now I'm not, but my boss wants to talk to me today about "keeping me happy", so we'll see.

Ralph Snart
02-10-2006, 12:23 PM
I'm content, but not happy. Truthfully, I know exactly what I'd rather be doing, and I am content enough to work where I am until I get there.

Knucklehead Warrior
02-10-2006, 01:02 PM
As of right now I'm not, but my boss wants to talk to me today about "keeping me happy", so we'll see.

Ahhhh, yes. The boss' interpretation of that phrase :rolleyes: usually bears little resemblence to your own. :(

N8R
02-10-2006, 08:01 PM
I liked my job as a cameraman for SportsNet. But that was short lived.

Stryder
02-10-2006, 09:15 PM
I love my job as a trace chemist. Sometimes, my co-workers are stupid and lack common sense, but c'est la vie.

pacers31tc
02-10-2006, 11:44 PM
I can't stand my job (Walmart pharmacy). I hate Walmart, and I work w/ a lot of people that can't handle the hurry-up pace of retail pharmacy. Sometime before May 19 will be my last day there ever though, so I'm looking forward to that.

Vicious Tyrant
02-11-2006, 03:42 AM
I love my job as a trace chemist. Sometimes, my co-workers are stupid and lack common sense, but c'est la vie.
Where do you work? Are you one of the guys who looks for traces of drugs in the cups of urine we send up to Indy?

Stryder
02-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Where do you work? Are you one of the guys who looks for traces of drugs in the cups of urine we send up to Indy?

I work at a forensics/toxicology laboratory in Indy near the airport.

Yes, the majority of the work we do is drug analysis in various body fluids for Coroner cases and Department of Corrections; it also includes therapeutic drug monitoring and clinical drug monitoring, as well as Blood Alcohol levels.

But, I have no part in that line of work. My main focus is identifying unknown substances, powders, liquids, tablets, gastric contents, etc. Very fun and challenging job. I am also heavily involved in the maintenance of the instruments in the lab (LC, HPLC, LC-MS, LC-MS-MS).

EDIT: Editted for content.

wickedstick
02-12-2006, 12:36 PM
I say this because I'm happy to have my current job. I work at Purdue's Printing Services as a copy center operator. Basically, I take job orders for things like exams, letters, brochures, and even books, scan them in, set them up using our software, and then print them out en masse. We have two large Canon printers that each prints up to 125 pages per minute.

I do the same thing at Eli Lilly. Except not with Canon printers we run everything with Xerox printers. I used to work for the state's print shop and we had one of the newer Image Runners.

heywoode
02-13-2006, 11:17 AM
I work in a great building, 4 minutes from my house, 8 minutes from my babysitter's house, 8 minutes from my kid's school.

I have my own office, am a one man department, and am responsible for my own budget. I answer directly to the three County Commissioners. I'm making the most money I've ever made in my life.

I can have private phone conversations...on speakerphone. I can listen to whatever music I want, any time I want. I have two windows that are each 4 feet wide by 8 feet tall.

I LOVE my job.

Of course that means I have something to lose...The worry of somehow losing my job is the only real stress I have.

btowncolt
02-13-2006, 11:23 AM
As long as the government keeps paying me to wiretap VT's house, I'll be happy.

Kegboy
02-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Ahhhh, yes. The boss' interpretation of that phrase :rolleyes: usually bears little resemblence to your own. :(

Yep, just had lunch with her. Didn't get everything I wanted, but it puts me in good position for my review in September.

McClintic Sphere
02-13-2006, 02:34 PM
I work in a great building, 4 minutes from my house, 8 minutes from my babysitter's house, 8 minutes from my kid's school.

I have my own office, am a one man department, and am responsible for my own budget. I answer directly to the three County Commissioners. I'm making the most money I've ever made in my life.

I can have private phone conversations...on speakerphone. I can listen to whatever music I want, any time I want. I have two windows that are each 4 feet wide by 8 feet tall.

I LOVE my job.

Of course that means I have something to lose...The worry of somehow losing my job is the only real stress I have.

You are not by any chance a Hamilton Co. resident are you?

btowncolt
02-13-2006, 07:29 PM
AFter last week, I hated my job.

After today, I love it.

Gotta love security work. 99% boredom, 1% excitement, and 100% pure hell. Your "damned if you do, damned if you dont" most of the time.......

There was a "police emergency" at the Pentagon this morning. F'ed up my commute.

heywoode
02-13-2006, 10:55 PM
You are not by any chance a Hamilton Co. resident are you?

Nope. Huntington County. Any particular reason for the question?!

fooddaman
02-15-2006, 12:40 AM
I am real satisfied with my current job. It's in technology project managment. I get to do a variety of things that keep me both challenge and interested. There is stress, but it's the good type of stress that keeps you motivated.

The one fear that I haven't really been confronted with until this month was job security (or the lack thereof). See, I work for a certain privately held bank that was recently merged with an out of state buyer. Now I have some of the bad stress that I might lose my job due to cost cutting measures.

However, the one thing I realize that I cannot control what happens and just need to work one day at a time and put forth my best effort. If I do that and stay positive then I shouldn't have anything to worry about.

GO!!!!!
02-16-2006, 12:39 AM
specially when your stuck doing a job you can't stand and your 3rd ranked boss just asked if you was ok, saying you looked a little down, and you replied, no i'm fine, just fine, while in fact you have passion of dislike for everyone in ur office becuase there the biggest hyprocrytes around and question your profesionlism and then 3 months later do what you did and think it's ok...

Perfect thread... I love my job, just everyone that works in my office because there liars, back stabbers, hyprocrites...

I need a beer