PDA

View Full Version : Moving past the Microwave, At least once (I need help)

Deadshot
02-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Basically, my gf and I have a running joke about how everything I "cook" is in the microwave. With Valentine's Day coming up on Tuesday, I decided to tell her I would cook for her tomorrow (Friday).

I decided to do some type of linguine noodles with alfredo sauce. I purchased some noodles and sauce at the grocery before work today, so I suppose I'm making good progress.

Seriously, I'm stupid about cooking, but I can follow directions, and I want to learn. I know in essence what I have to do, but I am missing out on several details. I know I boil the water and put salt in, put noodles in, and then heat the sauce and pour it on once I remove the noodles. As far as times and temperatures, or anything somewhat challenging goes, I am clueless.

If anyone has any tips to help me or any suggestions, please let me know. This is a very basic dish I am preparing, but I want to make sure it is done right. Thank you for your time.

Frank Slade
02-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Ok luckily my Wife's Family is Italian so I may have picked up a few things .
First off there are about 100 ways to do Linguine just depending on how far you go.. But here are some basic steps you can use.. hope this helps

Start with a pan say 5 or 6 quarts or so over a high heat,
you want to fill it half way of water to boiling.

In another smaller pan a third to half that size , stirr together the alfredo sauce and some people like to add white wine.

You can then place over low heat and just stir occasionally until hot.

When water boils, go ahead and add linguine and cook say aroud 2-4 minutes. Let that boil and wait until pasta is cooked...

Drain pasta and then return them to the 5- to 6-quart pan. Add heated sauce and stir somewhat gently until pasta is coated.

Some people like to spread nutmeg, or prosciutto (browned type) all personal preferences..

Frank Slade
02-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Hope that helps

:eyebrow:

travmil
02-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Can't go wrong with a Caeser salad kit either. Maybe some garlic bread? And for Pete's sake get her some flowers and some candles for the table. If you're gonna try, swing for the fence.

Frank Slade
02-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Can't go wrong with a Caeser salad kit either. Maybe some garlic bread? And for Pete's sake get her some flowers and some candles for the table. If you're gonna try, swing for the fence.
:nod: Word... good call Trav.. It's the little things that will put you over the top....
go for the Grand Slam..

Deadshot
02-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Frank Slade, that helps very much! But when you say to stir the sauce together, I think I bought a jar with everything in it, I don't plan on adding anything. I know I probably still need to heat the sauce, so do I go about that in the same way?

travmil, I am going to get some flowers tomorrow afternoon (probably won't do candles, though). I thought about buying some of that salad in a bag, but figured that was kinda lame (I'll have to see what kits there are).

Thanks for the advice guys, and post any more suggestions you might have.

travmil
02-09-2006, 11:32 PM
travmil, I am going to get some flowers tomorrow afternoon (probably won't do candles, though). I thought about buying some of that salad in a bag, but figured that was kinda lame (I'll have to see what kits there are).

Actually that's exactly what I'm talking about. The Dole bagged Ceasar salad kit comes with eveything you need. If you want, you can get a head of lettuce and some caesar dressing but it won't be any better than the kit. Plus the kit comes with the perfect amount of dressing so you won't drench it. Nothing worse than a soggy ceasar salad.

Deadshot
02-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Actually that's exactly what I'm talking about. The Dole bagged Ceasar salad kit comes with eveything you need. If you want, you can get a head of lettuce and some caesar dressing but it won't be any better than the kit. Plus the kit comes with the perfect amount of dressing so you won't drench it. Nothing worse than a soggy ceasar salad.

Believe me, I wasn't talking about a kit. I was talking about the bag you cut the top off and pour it into a bowl. You know, the ones that get bloated if they stay in the fridge too long :)

sweabs
02-10-2006, 01:40 AM
I'm not even going to try helping out in the food department. I would have said suggested Michalena's a long time ago.

But I didn't even realize Valentines was coming up. Sounds like you're going down the right path so far - but go for the candles. Myabe a little smooth jazz, with the fireplace on. Giggity GIGGITY. You're a shoe in.

Knucklehead Warrior
02-10-2006, 03:15 AM
And that's why you wait until the very end to make it. It will sog up pretty quickly and only takes 2 minutes to make. Make sure you toss it a bit to get all the dressing and parmesan mixed in.

2-4 minutes is probably not long enough for some store bought pastas. Pull out a piece (with a fork) while it's cooking and bite off an end to see if it's done. Put a little olive oil in the water if you have it, about a tablespoon, but not necessary.

Serve with a chilled Chardonnay or white Zinfandel. Even the ones for $5 a bottle are probably OK. At this point, it's more the thought that counts.

And don't worry about it. The first time I cooked for my wife, we made lasagna together, from scratch, including the pasta. It was the pasta from hell. Nothing was working right. At one point I said, "And now here is how we test the pasta to see if it's ready to put in the pot to boil," and I took a piece of too wet pasta and flung it against the glass in my back door. It stuck. "See? It's not ready yet!"

Suaveness
02-10-2006, 03:44 AM
For the salad, cut up some other veggies too. Tomatoes, green peppers, onions, whatever. It tastes good. Some dressing maybe.

Deadshot
02-11-2006, 12:31 AM
So everything happened tonight, and the night was great.

I get set to start cooking around 4:20 this afternoon. I was going to log on to Pacers Digest and use this very informative thread to help me out, but the site was down, LOL. I had to man up and attempt to cook by myself ;)

Anyway, I had already purchased some flowers this afternoon, so I placed those on the table in a vase. I boiled my linguine, just kinda doing what I thought was right, and I did alright here (except I put little salt and no oil in, so they kind of stuck in the end, but that could also be a result of them being finished before she arrived). I let my alfredo sauce simmer, and they went well together. They weren't Grade A quality, but I was somewhat proud of myself, and she seemed pleased (although I don't think she would tell me if they were bad). The salad kit I bought at the grocery was pretty nasty when I opened it up (the lettuce was not good at all), so I found some bagged salad in the fridge and put it in a bowl. Neither one of us ended up eating salad, but it was there if needed.

We watched TV the rest of the night and it was perfect.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

By the way, I might have missed the Pacers game, but they won their 4th straight, so that was another pleasant surprise!

Jon Theodore
02-11-2006, 12:41 AM
DUDE pimping out alfredo SAUCE is all about adding tomatoes. Get some italian diced tomatoes in a can with garlic, basil, and oregano. Add these tomatoes to alfredo sauce until it is an almost pink color.

The **** is BALLER man trust me.

Knucklehead Warrior
02-11-2006, 12:49 AM
Hey glad it all worked out. Let me know when you're ready for that lasagna. :D

Deadshot
02-11-2006, 12:58 AM
Hey glad it all worked out. Let me know when you're ready for that lasagna. :D

Ha! I would probably have trouble with the lasagna that comes ready to bake in the pan.

travmil
02-11-2006, 01:42 AM
Ha! I would probably have trouble with the lasagna that comes ready to bake in the pan.

Actually, good lasagna is REALLY easy to make.