PDA

View Full Version : How...... unceremonious.

Hicks
02-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Tonight was supposed to be my last night at Pizza Hut. Uncharacteristically, I waited until I got home half an hour ago to call to see what my hours tonight were.

A girl I never met who works there answers.

"This is Mark, can you tell me when I need to be in tonight?"

"Let me check."

(Minute later) "This may sound stupid, but are you sure you work here?"

"Uh, yeah lol I'm sure. Actually, this was supposed to be my last day."

"Well you're not on the schedule."

"Hmm. Well, that's wierd because *explains he'd talked with gen. manager that he could work last week and today before being done*"

(Her talking to manager away from phone)

"Mark wants to know his hours, but he's not on the schedule."

"Then he doesn't need to come in."

She relays the message to me.

"Oh. OK. Thanks. Bye."

*click*

----------------------------

And just like that, I'm done. I'm not upset or anything, but it's just ..... wierd. That never happened to me the 7 months I worked there, so for my would-be last day to end like that, it's just... strange. And I've been in a wierd mood / daze all day to begin with, and my day got wierder as it went along, so this just compounded that feeling of strangeness. Mmm. :neutral:

317Kim
02-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Wow. that's odd. No warning or anything huh? Just a "Then he doesn't need to come in." . Weird :eyebrow2:

btowncolt
02-09-2006, 04:46 PM
The retail/food services industry is a wonderful place.

Shade
02-09-2006, 04:56 PM
My job sucks even worse, and I've been working there almost 5 years now.

I started out making $7.50 as a manger. Over time, I manged to get to $10.00, which is where I'm currently at. However, I was stuck at $9.75 for over a year before I finally asked for a raise (which I hate to do), and got that last quarter. That was about 2 years ago.

When I started going back to school, obviously, my availability dwindled. I actually rearranged my school schedule to open up my availability, allowing me to work Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays, but was still only getting my 4 hours every Sunday shift. Blah. Last week, my boss admitted that the reason I was getting so few hours was becuase my rate of pay was so high, and offered to give me more hours if I would be willing to take only $8.00. She said she didn't want to insult me, but how am I supposed to feel? That's only 50 cents more than I STARTED making FIVE YEARS AGO! :shakehead And there's no guarantee the hours increase will even be significant or consistent enough to offset the hourly loss.

So, now I go in to get my schedule and see that I'm not even scheduled this week at all. I almost feel like I'm being forced to take the $8.00 offer. Way to be loyal to someone who has bailed you out of a continuous string of jams over the years, including the three times the current manager has flipped out and quit, only to be welcomed back due to the fact that nobody else is willing to do the same job for the same amount of money as he does. And he's bipolar and on meds, so you know it's going to happen again. :rolleyes:

And this, my friends, is just a small sampling of why my life is hell. :suicide:

Btw, didn't mean to hijack your thread, Hicks, but I was just about to start a thread about this and yours seemed like a pretty similar situation. :shrug:

Lord Helmet
02-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Tonight was supposed to be my last night at Pizza Hut. Uncharacteristically, I waited until I got home half an hour ago to call to see what my hours tonight were.

A girl I never met who works there answers.

"This is Mark, can you tell me when I need to be in tonight?"

"Let me check."

(Minute later) "This may sound stupid, but are you sure you work here?"

"Well you're not on the schedule."

"Hmm. Well, that's wierd because *explains he'd talked with gen. manager that he could work last week and today before being done*"

(Her talking to manager away from phone)

"Mark wants to know his hours, but he's not on the schedule."

"Then he doesn't need to come in."

She relays the message to me.

"Oh. OK. Thanks. Bye."

*click*

----------------------------

And just like that, I'm done. I'm not upset or anything, but it's just ..... wierd. That never happened to me the 7 months I worked there, so for my would-be last day to end like that, it's just... strange. And I've been in a weird mood / daze all day to begin with, and my day got wierder as it went along, so this just compounded that feeling of strangeness. Mmm. :neutral:
Ahh, Pizza Hut.

You were supposed to hook me up with some free Pizza. Richmond ain't that far of a drive....:devil: :laugh:

SoupIsGood
02-09-2006, 05:02 PM
What do you do, Shade?

SoupIsGood
02-09-2006, 05:03 PM
I make a measly 6.00 an hour, right now.

Hicks
02-09-2006, 05:12 PM
I made minimum wage. Shut up.

*can't quite bring myself to paste a smilie here but I wasn't dead serious so I'm typing this*

Hicks
02-09-2006, 05:13 PM
I should clarify that the manager I heard in the background is different from the general manager I'd talked with last week.

SoupIsGood
02-09-2006, 05:14 PM
I made minimum wage. Shut up.

*can't quite bring myself to paste a smilie here but I wasn't dead serious so I'm typing this*

Dang, a smilie would have saved you something like 20 words too.

Shade
02-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Well, consider working in a place for FIVE YEARS and only getting a net raise of 50 cents. How long would you stay at that job?

Besides, I have bills to pay, as well as food and gas. :tongue:

Let me put it this way: From school, I get about $2000 net back to live off of for 16 weeks (off my loan). My base expenses, which are rent, phone, cable (need internet access for my classes...and PD, of course ;) ), utilities, food, and gas are about $175 a week. That's a total of $2800, and doesn't include other school expenses, car repairs, clothing, etc. Hell, even if I wanted to eat more, I can't afford to! Weight loss through poverty. :(

18to88
02-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Well reading these should make everyone stay in school. I only get $7.50 but I have the easiest job in the world. Plus I'll be out of school in a year and I should be doing alright after tht.

sweabs
02-09-2006, 06:21 PM

Did you actually say "lawl"???????

;) :-p

Kat
02-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Eh, be glad to be rid of Pizza Hut, Mark.

I'm desperately trying to get rid of my current job and line up something else. In fact, I had an interview tonight for a custodial position that would permanent, 2nd shift, with benefits and everything. And it's not as bad a pay cut as I was expecting. So *fingers crossed*

travmil
02-09-2006, 10:10 PM
And just like that, I'm done. I'm not upset or anything, but it's just ..... wierd. That never happened to me the 7 months I worked there, so for my would-be last day to end like that, it's just... strange. And I've been in a wierd mood / daze all day to begin with, and my day got wierder as it went along, so this just compounded that feeling of strangeness. Mmm. :neutral:

Normally I don't go around grammar policing, but this one is one of my HUGE pet peeves. It's supposed to be wEird. And I know my grammar isn't perfect by any means...feel free to flame away...

Kegboy
02-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Um, so, you're saying you didn't get to meet Jessica Simpson?

Damn, after all the work I did to make sure she'd be there. :kickcan:

Eh, just as well. Don't want to get Brad jealous.

[edit] Wierd.

travmil
02-09-2006, 10:21 PM
[edit] Wierd.

I saw that coming...

Shade
02-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Man, I was going to vent about my job after a long week, but after seeing this thread, I cant bring myself to do it.

My job is to basically watch paint dry, but I make $18.63/hr

Die. :mad:

SamBear
02-09-2006, 10:29 PM
awww that sucks... :hmm:

It's probably for the best...
here's best wishes in your new endeavor..:smiliedri

:fireworks

:hug2:

Natston
02-10-2006, 12:59 PM

I thought I had it good getting 10-15 dollars an hour... :laugh: :censored:

MagicRat
02-10-2006, 01:06 PM

After a cost of living adjustment you're probably not too far apart....

Ralph Snart
02-10-2006, 02:10 PM
That's only 50 cents more than I STARTED making FIVE YEARS AGO! :shakehead And there's no guarantee the hours increase will even be significant or consistent enough to offset the hourly loss.

Dude you've got to leave that job. You should be seeing an annual wage increase of at least 3% per year, so you're getting screwed.

Ralph Snart
02-10-2006, 02:26 PM

From my experience, I think that's pretty typical, unless it's a place where you've worked a long time/made really good friends. Most jobs just end, there isn't much of a bang.

The strangest way I ever left a job: I was once terminated via voicemail. The company I worked for filed Chapter 11, and that same afternoon, fired all 6500 employees via voicemail. The brought in rent-a-guards to supervise us as we cleaned out our desks and left. The sad thing was that I had just gotten a promotion and raise the day before.

Pig Nash
02-10-2006, 05:23 PM
so you're the one that bankrupted them! :D

N8R
02-10-2006, 06:56 PM
My last job I worked as a Vacuum Truck Asistant Operator in the Alberta Oil Fields. Pretty much it meant that I was the B!tch of the truck. I would have to get into tanks and clean them. They contained some of the worst stuff you can imagine. One of the substances that we had to deal with apparently is the worst known substance to man that causes cancer.

On one occasion I was in a tank that they were pumping excess oil into and I was in there to get the sand out. Before each trip into a tank my driver would say: "If you get dizzy or feel weird, just drop everything and get out ASAP." I always just agree and hop in. On this particular day I went down and was shovelling about 2 feet of sand into a 4 inch vacuum hose. It is a pain in the butt to do and I was just getting frustrated. All of a sudden I started turning my head and looking around and everything was getting blurry and had trails behind it. I dropped the shovel and climbed out and collapsed on the top of the tank. My driver asked what was up I told him and he went to get me a half mask (which is pretty much what painters wear when they paint a car) and hopped back into the tank. Just as I was starting again the oil started up again and shot me directly in the face. Once again I dropped everything and got out quick.

From there I had to go back to the truck change overalls, glasses, masks, gloves, t-shirt, whip the oil off of my body and helmet and of course get back into the tank and finish the job.

At that point I was only making $12/hour to be doing one of the most dangerous jobs in Canada. I got up to $15/hour in one pay jump but I was tired of my company's bull and the way they treated me when one of my dispatchers said: "F\/ck You" to me, right on the spot I told him to find someone else cause I quit.

This is the Truck I worked on

Shade
02-10-2006, 07:46 PM
My last job I worked as a Vacuum Truck Asistant Operator in the Alberta Oil Fields. Pretty much it meant that I was the B!tch of the truck. I would have to get into tanks and clean them. They contained some of the worst stuff you can imagine. One of the substances that we had to deal with apparently is the worst known substance to man that causes cancer.

On one occasion I was in a tank that they were pumping excess oil into and I was in there to get the sand out. Before each trip into a tank my driver would say: "If you get dizzy or feel weird, just drop everything and get out ASAP." I always just agree and hop in. On this particular day I went down and was shovelling about 2 feet of sand into a 4 inch vacuum hose. It is a pain in the butt to do and I was just getting frustrated. All of a sudden I started turning my head and looking around and everything was getting blurry and had trails behind it. I dropped the shovel and climbed out and collapsed on the top of the tank. My driver asked what was up I told him and he went to get me a half mask (which is pretty much what painters where when they paint a car) and hopped back into the tank. Just as I was starting again the oil started up again and shot me directly in the face. Once again I dropped everything and got out quick.

From there I had to go back to the truck change overalls, glasses, masks, gloves, t-shirt, whip the oil off of my body and helmet and of course get back into the tank and finish the job.

At that point I was only making $12/hour to be doing one of the most dangerous jobs in Canada. I got up to $15/hour in one pay jump but I was tired of my company's bull and the way they treated me when one of my dispatchers said: "F\/ck You" to me, right on the spot I told him to find someone else cause I quit.

This is the Truck I worked on

You win (or is it lose?). :bowdown:

Guess I'll have to settle for second place...as usual. :unimpress

N8R
02-11-2006, 02:38 AM
You win (or is it lose?). :bowdown:

Guess I'll have to settle for second place...as usual. :unimpress

Sorry about that one but I figured 8 months of hell should allow me to win something. Plus in a few weeks I will most likely be out on the Rigs so I will have many more horrible stories to come as long as I don't die...seriously.

Vicious Tyrant
02-11-2006, 03:08 AM
Wow, that is an impressively terrible job. I spent a couple months one summer in college being the worst door to door salesman in the history of post-WWII civilization, but I think you've got me beat.

Los Angeles
02-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Wow. the only thing more liberating than getting s surprise night off is walking off the job to get a night off.

If you've never tried the line "you can't fire me because I quit," I strongly recommend it.

Congrats on you exodus from the food service industry! :buddies:

N8R
03-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Wow, that is an impressively terrible job. I spent a couple months one summer in college being the worst door to door salesman in the history of post-WWII civilization, but I think you've got me beat.

The worst part is now I am again working at the same company. Luckily now I will be working in the shop and not out in the oil field, so all the deadliness and horror will be replaced with bordem. Oh well pays the same and it is scheduled work. But hey if anyone if every looking for a job I can get you one over the phone working where I work, so long as you can work in Canada.

It is an easy way to make a lot of money but it is hell while you are doing it.

sweabs
03-09-2006, 05:56 PM
The worst part is now I am again working at the same company. Luckily now I will be working in the shop and not out in the oil field, so all the deadliness and horror will be replaced with bordem. Oh well pays the same and it is scheduled work. But hey if anyone if every looking for a job I can get you one over the phone working where I work, so long as you can work in Canada.

It is an easy way to make a lot of money but it is hell while you are doing it.

See, I don't think I could do that.

I need to love what I'm doing in order to do the job and actually perform at the highest level I can.

Kat
03-09-2006, 06:42 PM
See, I don't think I could do that.

I need to love what I'm doing in order to do the job and actually perform at the highest level I can.

Not everybody has the option to do what they love. Some people don't know what they would love, some are working toward a degree to do what they love but need to pay the bills right now (e.g., me), and some people don't have what it takes to do what they love.

Kaufman
03-12-2006, 08:52 AM
If you guys ever wanna move to Lexington KY I'd hire two or so of you. My techs are finishing up their degrees and moving away so I need some new kiddies. We've got a great university in UK, and I'd pay well.

N8R
03-20-2006, 02:21 PM
I have the drive to do what I love but the debt to show. But right now I am working on becoming a video programmer out on some of the cruise ships so I can get paid to travel and not be working in oil. Oh and my last post saying that I will be working in the shop and not around oil turned out to be a lie.

I started swamping on the trucks again and my 2nd day on the vac trucks back I was in a Pressure tank for 2+ hours under supplied air cleaning over 6 Cubic metres of sand from inside the tank. Oh and after that day I couldnt move for two days due to extreme pain in my arms, legs and back from being inside a tank that is too small to stand up in and also carrying around a 30+lb hose when filled with sand.

So if there is anyone out there looking to hire some with a video/TV/editiing abilties background (I was a cameraman at SportsNet) Let me know cause as of right now I am looking hardcore to get out of where I am before something explodes and my body parts go all over the place.

sweabs
03-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Newman, that sucks.

Get out of Alberta you fool. Just save up your money, come back home, and start looking for another job or something. You have post-secondary education in video/editing/TV stuff, so try and find something relating to that.

Or, if you can pay off all your debt so far, then you could always look into going back to get some more school at Western or Fanshawe.

N8R
03-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Oh Carey dont think I am wanting to stay in Alberta. Alberta is the DEVIL.

I just cant leave yet with the debtage. I am pretty much NOT buying anything till I pay off huge chunks of the debtness and I am hoping to be out of Alberta for good latest Next summer cause I dont want the money problems following me around. I am always looking for TV work and camera work dont you worryage. That is why I am getting all my footage mailed to me so I can edit and put together my reel again so I can send it out to some places and hopefully **** can start working out.

But whatever. For now I just have a dont think dont care attitude whereas things are just a blur and I just think about sleep and money. it makes the time go by a lot quicker which helps. But obvy Lond will be sweet in the sum when I finally get thereage. CAREY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gyron
03-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Of course he's gonna look like that guy in his avatar by the time he gets done cleaning all those tanks with those chemicals, but he'll be outta debt and readyt o go with that film editing career:D

I guess you don't have to be purty(as they would say it down here in NC) to work behind the camera:D

N8R
03-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Of course he's gonna look like that guy in his avatar by the time he gets done cleaning all those tanks with those chemicals, but he'll be outta debt and readyt o go with that film editing career:D

I guess you don't have to be purty(as they would say it down here in NC) to work behind the camera:D

Heck no I dont hahaha

Shade
04-16-2006, 10:34 AM
Well, consider working in a place for FIVE YEARS and only getting a net raise of 50 cents. How long would you stay at that job?

Besides, I have bills to pay, as well as food and gas. :tongue:

Let me put it this way: From school, I get about $2000 net back to live off of for 16 weeks (off my loan). My base expenses, which are rent, phone, cable (need internet access for my classes...and PD, of course ;) ), utilities, food, and gas are about $175 a week. That's a total of $2800, and doesn't include other school expenses, car repairs, clothing, etc. Hell, even if I wanted to eat more, I can't afford to! Weight loss through poverty. :(

I'm putting in my notice tomorrow. It's gotten to the point where I want to punch the operations manager due to all the slander and lies he's been spreading about me. It's time to go before things escalate even further and I end up doing something I regret.

Anybody know any place that's hiring?

Hicks
04-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Slander and lies, huh? Care to elaborate (within reason)?

Shade
04-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Slander and lies, huh? Care to elaborate (within reason)?

In a nutshell, the O.M. is bipolar. He's always flipping out on the other employees, but normally is nice to me (to my face), because he knows I won't put up with his *****. If he has a problem with me, he sends a nasty e-mail, even though I've told him to have the respect to face me instead.

When I'm not around (and, bear in mind I work all of about 5 hours each week), he's constantly saying I did a *****ty job with my closes (which is a flat-out lie) to pump himself up to look better to his boss, the store manager (who I've know for the entire five years I've been working there). He's telling the other employees how I suck at everything I do and how he's "going to make an example out of me" (he does this, btw, because he knows the staff looks up to me and not him, and it pisses him off to no end). I'm sick of being his damn scapegoat, and I'm not going to put up with it anymore. He's the hypocite that has flipped out and walked out on his staff numerous times, leaving the rest of us to pick up the slack for him, and then he dares question MY sense of responsibility?

I have done more for that company than I even want to think about during my tenure there. I have helped out numerous times when I didn't want to, both on and off the clock. I have contributed more than he can ever hope to, and I get rewared by feeling like I'm in a prison and being spied on, with him just waiting for me to screw up somewhere so he can slander me some more. Screw that. He's the 40-year-old loser that will be stuck in that dead-end job for the rest of his life.

SoupIsGood
04-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Way to go Shade! :bananadan You deserve better.