PDA

View Full Version : JO: Is it better to keep him or trade him?

PacersHeat
02-09-2006, 06:59 AM
JO appearently is getting injuries bit too frequently. Also his price isn't exactly a great deal since how he played lately and slowing Pacers' uptempo. He sure has played great at times and sometimes okay-okay overall. That's not a good sign as the franchise player.

What I really ask here .. is it time to trade him for a better-fitting player? I am not too sure about him yet .. but I do think they better start looking and deciding whether as if they should go for the JO trade or not. What do you dudes think?

Will Galen
02-09-2006, 07:04 AM
No offense, but I think you should read the other threads about JO.

317Kim
02-09-2006, 07:08 AM
IMO, JO played well before he went down with the flu and then the ankle and groin injury. He averaged around a double double and 2.3 bpg which is good enough for me. Also, it's a bit too soon for me to tell because the last 3 games have been GREAT, but it's too risky to trade JO now. Trade him for who??

No.

D-BONE
02-09-2006, 07:13 AM
The same thing occured to me last night while leaving the game. I say no unless JO shows when he returns that he's unwilling to buy into the "new" offense by his own decision. We're playing better due to the offense obviously. But there's also a radical difference in positive energy and team orientation. The approach with everyone basically contributing is highly important. JO needs to show he can accept a role in the more collective style by accepting reduced iso opportunities. In my view, this would be for the good of the TEAM, not an individual, and would show me serious leadership qualities from JO. I think JO will take this step, but only time and, of course, style the coaching staff adopts on his return, will tell.

Black Sox
02-09-2006, 09:44 AM
JO is one of the best big man in the league. He can post and shoot the midrange jumper. He will not have a problem adjusting to the new style of play. It's very similar to the style of play when they won 61 games. JO plays best when he doesn't have to pound the ball in the paint on every possesion. This will also decrease his injuries. Plus the team will not get back nearly the skill level of player in a trade unless you get Garnett, which will never happen.

jcouts
02-09-2006, 10:09 AM
I believe that there is no need to get rid of JO, unless Carlisle tries to change the offense back to the bump and grind style of pre-Peja.

I believe that most of JO's injuries are a result of that type of offense, and I think we will all see a drastic decrease in JO's wear and tear in a more transition oriented offense like the one we currently have.

But, it will also require him to put team first, individual second, and break his habits of holding on to the ball too long sometimes...the ball has to keep moving, and keeping the ball moving will be what I see him struggling with the most. But, that is something I believe he is capable of doing...and it's probably a good thing he is sitting out right now during this stretch, soaking it in mentally.

I just hope that his presence doesn't clog things up, because right now, the openness of things is allowing us to take advantage on the offensive glass.

Drakkar
02-09-2006, 11:08 AM
If to trade him i would like to get a youg star such as howard,bosh or smth like that....

Anthem
02-09-2006, 02:03 PM
For who?

diamonddave00
02-09-2006, 02:28 PM
No way- Short of a Garnett or Duncan perhaps Elton Brand no way I trade Jermaine-- Raptors would not trade Chris Bosh , he's younger and more cheaply paid same with Dwight Howard.

Anthem
02-09-2006, 02:36 PM
No way- Short of a Garnett or Duncan perhaps Elton Brand no way I trade Jermaine-- Raptors would not trade Chris Bosh , he's younger and more cheaply paid same with Dwight Howard.
Right. And SanAn's not moving Duncan, and the Clips probably aren't moving Brand. But KG's been cussing out the owner, and there are persistent rumors that he's available.

We should get in on that action.

Gamble
02-09-2006, 03:08 PM
I am torn with the thought of KG. Mentally he's tougher than
JO and just as good as a player but how he is dealing with his
current team brings a bit of hesitation. Would he just mess things
up with the new found chemistry? How would Jax and him play
together? Would management control him or would he control them.
I haven't read many threads on KG so sorry in am repeating things
already questioned but thats my take on it.

One last thing KG is probably the only star PF we could possibly get,
so why even fantasy about the other ones.

Pacesetter
02-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Without a doubt, it's better to keep him. Now that Artest is gone and we've got Peja on the outside to go with Steve, and Fred Jones, JO will be a tremendous force on the inside again!

The idea of trading any of our players right now is counterproductive. We need the team to start gelling into a solid unit. We don't need people feeling like they aren't a part of this .... whatever happens in the offseason is the offseason, but right now it's time to get on it!

Harmonica
02-09-2006, 07:36 PM
This is getting tiresome.

PacerMan
02-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Assuming Jermaine is as intelligent as I think he is, he will be nigh on unstoppable in the current scheme. We are playing very well right now, but make no mistake, this team needs another consistant threat when the going gets tough. Keep the ball moving like it is now and add Jermaines skills to the mix and we can be VERY good. This year.

Where's the rebuilding threads??????? LOL

Roaming Gnome
02-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Ask me this in about 10 more games, or when the league starts to catch up with what we are doing....It's too early to think about this question after just 3 wins. 1 super win, a win against an average team, and a win versus a lousy team.

denyfizle
02-10-2006, 12:26 AM
only if we get Garnett somehow in return.

kellogg
02-10-2006, 12:32 AM
This team had JO most of the season and played horribly. No one can deny the offense consisted of forcing the ball to JO down low and then watching him play one-on-one. This recent turnaround has been entirely due to not having JO monopolize the ball.

This is a problem that dates back to last season after JO came back from the suspension. The offense became the JO show and it spilled over into this season.

When JO returns if the Pacers start regressing, I think we'll all know where the real 'chemistry' problem laid all along. And this might be as much Carlisle's fault as JO's...but perhaps JO just isn't capable of playing in this uptempo/share the ball style that the team is playing (and thriving in) now.

PacersHeat
02-10-2006, 05:15 AM
This team had JO most of the season and played horribly. No one can deny the offense consisted of forcing the ball to JO down low and then watching him play one-on-one. This recent turnaround has been entirely due to not having JO monopolize the ball.

This is a problem that dates back to last season after JO came back from the suspension. The offense became the JO show and it spilled over into this season.

When JO returns if the Pacers start regressing, I think we'll all know where the real 'chemistry' problem laid all along. And this might be as much Carlisle's fault as JO's...but perhaps JO just isn't capable of playing in this uptempo/share the ball style that the team is playing (and thriving in) now.

That's right .. it's what I wanted to say here .. thanks for the points. Wait and see how JO plays when he return back to the lineup with some time playing and see how he fares along. If he poses as a clear problem, trade him.

I like the current lineup better. They beat Pistons at their court .. hmm. That's something.

No disrespect to him .. I like him really, but to think as the whole team as first. That's the sport business.