PDA

View Full Version : Bball Talks Pacers

Bball
02-09-2006, 12:43 AM
I know it was Portland so I do not want to get too high after a win.. but then it's been 3 wins.

First let me say:
We are no longer a bad team. We might not have slipped to 'downright awful', but for a team with championship aspirations heading into the season, we were bad. We were bad before Artest made his trade demand public.

We were a bad team.

I like Peja. I wasn't sure what I'd think of Peja as a Pacer because I don't follow other teams as closely as I follow the Pacers.... So I was open-minded. I knew he could shoot. I've been pleasantly surprised watching him handle the ball. I've been surprised by his rebounding.

And most importantly, I've been pleasantly surprised by his unselfish play. Dare I say it? ....Peja makes the other players better when he's on the court. Even Sjax seems to have gotten into the act of passing the ball. And maybe it is just me, or the wins, but it seems Jackson is taking the ball to the hole when he does make up his mind he's looking to score. I'll take that over jacking a shot up any day.

Somebody else that either benefits from the teams that we've played, the players we've put on the court, or else the fact that he's being played:
Pollard.

Where has this guy been.... other than unceremoniously glued to the bench? I'm happy for Pollard. He came thru for us last year before wrenching his back and now that he's getting a chance this year he's again coming thru.

AJ again looks like a PG and contributor.

Harrison and Granger are both looking like draft day steals. (BTW... Hard to believe how small Harrison looked against his Asian counterpart late in the game).

I've commented upon this already but I'll say it again:
Just when you think Carlisle has lost the team (or is about to) he pulls it all together. These past 3 wins have been inspiring. You can make excuses for them but we did what we are supposed to: Beat the opposition.

Let me take that further... Beat them handily. Only Detroit was close and yet you would expect it to be. We aren't losing to bad teams by unbelievable margins... And we aren't playing 'down' to the competition and letting 'bad' teams hang around (or run off from us).

I like to see the team playing the 'right way' and for the past 4 games (one of which was a loss), I think they have done exactly that. To see it pay dividends in the win column so fast is nice.

Rebounds? We can rebound!!!!

The elephant is still sitting in the living room and he's got his feet on the coffee table and is filling the ash tray with cigars. I suppose right now I shouldn't even worry about it and just see what happens when JO returns. That doesn't appear to be for a while. The question still remains: Why do the Pacers play better without JO? I've convinced myself that it is a fact. It's not just 'prettier' basketball, it is more effective basketball. Maybe 'potentially' that is not the case but we're not a team that has had much luck with potential anyway.

:woot:

-Bball

Pig Nash
02-09-2006, 12:56 AM
I expected the passing to get better with Peja because everyone learns how to pass in Adelman's system, and passing is contagious.

sweabs
02-09-2006, 01:02 AM
I expected the passing to get better with Peja because everyone learns how to pass in Adelman's system, and passing is contagious.

I agree. And I think that rebounding is contagious as well, and Pollard is setting a great example for these guys. Hell, even Saras had 3-4 offensive rebounds I believe.

I just can't believe we are finally outrebounding teams. Good ones at that - Detroit, Portland - those are two teams with good rebounders down low. Pollard is setting a tone for everyone else and it's something I didn't see when JO was manning the centre spot.

Along with outrebounding, we are also getting more assists than our opponents. I must say - I'd much rather watch this style of basketball.

Bball
02-09-2006, 01:06 AM
It doesn't hurt having players that can and will block out.

-Bball

sixthman
02-09-2006, 02:13 AM
While I share much of the exuberance about the recent turn of events, these games have been at home against road weary teams when we've had loads of practice and healing time. I'll be more impressed when we win two out of three in March while on the road, which I'm beginning to think is possible.

For the first time this season, Polly, Harrison, and Feisty all seem fairly healthy. Beyond that, the players also seem to be having more fun playing the game. As much as anything, I think we are doing well because, JO aside, our bigs are healthier and because roles have been defined and rotations set. And, also, because with the arrival of Peja the pieces suddenly fit much better again.

Will Galen
02-09-2006, 02:47 AM
[QUOTE=Bball]I know it was Portland so I do not want to get too high after a win.. but then it's been 3 wins.

It's not just 3 wins, it's who we beat and how we've been playing in the wins that's impressive!

We were a bad team.

I disagree. I don't think we were ever a bad team, just a team in disarray. Bad teams don't beat all the good teams. Remember we started out beating the good teams and losing to the bad teams. Then AJ had a talk with Carlisle because he wasn't playing much, and suddenly Carlisle started playing him.

You know it just occurred to me that maybe that was a contributing factor in the start of all our problems. Maybe players thought that Carlisle was oiling the squeaky wheel. So then Jax complains about touches which sets off Ron, and then things went into the toilet.

Carlisle oiling the squeaky wheel is something we should keep our eye on, but I don't believe Carlisle normally does that. I do think it could be perceived that way in AJ's case though.

Where I'm convinced the Pacers problems are is with Rick's inside/out offense. Throwing it in to JO or Jax and having them stand there and make five fakes before taking a shot that everyone knows they are going to take is a big problem.

If we weren't such a deep team that wouldn't be a problem. However, we have 12 players that can play and if you put them out there and they don't get any touches then they don't feel they are doing anything. Thus you have some unhappy players. When you add that a lot of them are temperamental then the problem is enhanced.

With the offense Carlisle is running now the ball is passed, everyone gets touches, and players feel part of something.

So which way is better with a healthy JO? Obviously with so many good players to go back to the old offense when JO gets back would be dumb.

I like Peja. I wasn't sure what I'd think of Peja as a Pacer because I don't follow other teams as closely as I follow the Pacers.... So I was open-minded. I knew he could shoot. I've been pleasantly surprised watching him handle the ball. I've been surprised by his rebounding.

And most importantly, I've been pleasantly surprised by his unselfish play. Dare I say it? ....Peja makes the other players better when he's on the court. Even Sjax seems to have gotten into the act of passing the ball. And maybe it is just me, or the wins, but it seems Jackson is taking the ball to the hole when he does make up his mind he's looking to score. I'll take that over jacking a shot up any day.

Maybe it's because Jax likes this offense.

Somebody else that either benefits from the teams that we've played, the players we've put on the court, or else the fact that he's being played:
Pollard.

Where has this guy been.... other than unceremoniously glued to the bench? I'm happy for Pollard. He came thru for us last year before wrenching his back and now that he's getting a chance this year he's again coming thru.

Pollard is much better playing this type offense.

I've commented upon this already but I'll say it again:
Just when you think Carlisle has lost the team (or is about to) he pulls it all together. These past 3 wins have been inspiring. You can make excuses for them but we did what we are supposed to: Beat the opposition.

Actually I think he WAS losing the team. JO's injury forced Carlisle to go to a more player friendly offense.

The elephant is still sitting in the living room and he's got his feet on the coffee table and is filling the ash tray with cigars. I suppose right now I shouldn't even worry about it and just see what happens when JO returns. That doesn't appear to be for a while. The question still remains: Why do the Pacers play better without JO?

Because the offense is more player friendly. I'm convinced that with this team the offense should run outside/in. That way the other players get to touch the ball. JO should be used primarily as a defender, rebounder, and shooter of opportunity.

I've convinced myself that it is a fact. It's not just 'prettier' basketball, it is more effective basketball.

I agree! If Carlisle can't see it works better after it happening two years in a row, we need a different coach.

D-BONE
02-09-2006, 07:49 AM
Lots of great point throughout here! A couple additions or elaborations. Yes about Jax's improved performance. He still got a couple heaves in yesterday, particularly in the 2nd quarter when we struggled offensively, where he just sort of held the ball too long instead of driving or moving it around. Still, he's playing high-calibur ball for us right now. Good energy and sharing the ball more. The Adelman-Sac passing game comment also applies to Pollard. Agree that this approach really fits him. He's very fundamentally sound (old Jayhawk of course) as far as spacing, screening, moving without the ball, blocking out, etc.. and passing. Although the point about it was Portland is well taken, at the same time you can still say it's a team we should have waxed and we did. Unlike our prior difficulties getting up to play inferior competition (Atlanta, Charlotte, et al). OK. I'm not sure how long I can continue saying Atlanta as a doormat, but you get the picture.

stipo
02-09-2006, 09:48 AM
I think it's also important not to get to excited, but it seems that at least somebody opened the chute during the teams freefall.

I don't want to throw a wet blanket on whats happening, so I'll say that I'm happy for the style of play, and that Bball's comments speak for me to at this point.

sixthman
02-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Regarding Pollard, he has played well all year. Unfortunately, until now he has hardly been able to play.

Bball's point about Peja making his Pacers teammates play better may be right on. Thus far I like what I have seen from Peja, at both ends of the court. The guy is playing like a pro's pro.