PDA

View Full Version : Al Michaels no longer doing the NBA finals....thank god.

Kstat
02-08-2006, 02:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2323121

Also, ESPN announced that Mike Breen will be its new lead NBA play-by-play announcer, teaming with analyst Hubie Brown for ABC telecasts beginning Feb. 12 and including the NBA Finals.

Mike Breen's a solid play-by-play guy. Hubie Brown's one of the all-time best color commentators. Should be a good mix.

Al Michaels is not and never will be a basketball guy. He completely sucked at it, and he never deserved to get a shot at the NBA finals.

sweabs
02-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Awesome - I love Hubie. I also enjoy Doug Collins.

As long as they stay away from Dr. Jack Ramsay..........Please........for the love of God.

Kstat
02-08-2006, 02:04 PM
If the game was played in slow-motion, Dr. Jack would be the best analyst of all time.

rexnom
02-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Awesome - I love Hubie. I also enjoy Doug Collins.

Two quality coaches-turned-commentators. They always catch the stuff that coaches catch and the casual fan doesn't. Will someone please explain Tom Tolbert, however? How did he get the commentating gig? I see the Bill Walton potential but Walton is one of the greats...Tolbert is just...wow

stipo
02-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Dr. Jack = Grandpa Ted Marchibroda

Al Michaels = Marv Albert doing golf play-by-play. Strange combination.

Mike Breen = solid, but generic

stipo
02-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Two quality coaches-turned-commentators. They always catch the stuff that coaches catch and the casual fan doesn't. Will someone please explain Tom Tolbert, however? How did he get the commentating gig? I see the Bill Walton potential but Walton is one of the greats...Tolbert is just...wow
Tom Tolbert is a colorful white guy who can string some words together. Scot Pollard should be a shoe-in for the next available network job.

Kstat
02-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Tolbert is far from elegant but he's gold in less than exciting games. He's very funny when he's on his game.

Roy Munson
02-08-2006, 02:13 PM

I know many people don't like him, but my favorite is still Walton. To me, the big goof is very entertaining.

Hicks
02-08-2006, 02:13 PM
I liked Al Michaels because he wasn't a know-it-all. I like listening to people who don't know the game inside and out because I sometimes feel like I'm learning (or re-learning) as they are by talking with the more knowledgable color commentator, or looking at the replays to see why a call was or wasn't made. It'd be even better if they had experts who were trained to teach as they commentate (including a lot of visual aids), but since that's not reality, I like what I described.

stipo
02-08-2006, 02:22 PM
The more that I think about it... Mike Breen? There isn't anyone else out there? That's almost an insult to the NBA. It's like Gus Johnson doing the Superbowl!

Kstat
02-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Mike Breen does NBA games just fine.

D-BONE
02-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Breen's adequate IMO. Sorry but I can't stand Walton. Just get Fratello to resign so Marv and the Czar can move to ABC. That'd be my preference. Stever Kerr...OUT! Oh yeah, Reg...C-YA!

Hicks
02-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Breen's OK. Ever since 11/19 (his words are the ones ESPN burned into my brain with endless replays of that damned thing) I can't quite enjoy him as much. But he was never great either. I'm not sure I even have a favorite play by play anymore. I used to think Marv Albert, but now I don't know.

Moses
02-08-2006, 02:44 PM
I actually didn't mind Al Michaels very much. Not near as bad as some of the NFL commentators.

One thing I can't stand about commentators is their inability to state the opposite of what happens in terms of reffing. I remember a Detroit Indy game a while back where there were an extra 10-15 seconds on the clock and it was clearly obvious that the half should have ended and it even showed a clock that showed it started late but low and behold, Steve Kerr and company, even when the video of the clock starting late is played, they don't see whats going on.

Hicks
02-08-2006, 02:46 PM
I know no one will believe me because when a Pacers fan talks about Reggie, they automatically assume he's bias beyond objectivity, but I truly think Reggie does a good job of color commentary. I like listening to him. I also don't mind Kerr nearly as much as he seems to bother other people. Czar was very good. Jeff Van Gundy was too. Doug Collins is pretty good too.

As for Bill Walton, I've been all over with him. I started out hating him, then I started to like him because he's amusing. Now I'm just sick of him, though I won't say I dislike him per se.

I also like Tom Tolbert. He's smarter than he can often make himself sound, and he's occasionally pretty funny too. I like a guy who knows the game, but can make fun of things and not take it too seriously at the same time.

abington
02-08-2006, 02:48 PM
I thought Al Michaels and Doc Rivers were excellent together.
Nobody is better than Marv.

D-BONE
02-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Van Gundy. I'd forgotten about his turn at the Mike. I bet even during a broadcast he had that completely angst-ridden, disheveled, desperate, sleep-deprived, unshaven demeanor about him I always remember from his playoff press conferences from the era of the Pacers-Knicks and Knicks-Heat battles. Definitely was sippin on a Diet Coke.

FreshPrince22
02-08-2006, 03:39 PM
I like the Doug Collins / Kevin Harlan combo that is on TNT. Doug knows basketball as well as anyone, and can always get into the technical stuff. Harlan has that over-dramtic voice that can be good. Most importantly, neither get annoying.

I hate Hubie Brown still, but atleast one of them is gone. I still remember Hubie calling Rasheed "Chris Wallace" 100 times in the playoffs last year. Learn the F-ing names!!!!

grace
02-08-2006, 03:47 PM

He's a great play by play guy when fights break out.

Chauncey
02-08-2006, 03:58 PM
I know many people don't like him, but my favorite is still Walton. To me, the big goof is very entertaining.

Count me in that vast minority. I love the big redhead...you just have to expect some non-sense every now and then. Man that guy loves basketball.

Chauncey
02-08-2006, 04:00 PM
I like the Doug Collins / Kevin Harlan combo that is on TNT. Doug knows basketball as well as anyone, and can always get into the technical stuff. Harlan has that over-dramtic voice that can be good. Most importantly, neither get annoying.

Harlan is probably my favorite play-by-play guy right now

ChicagoJ
02-08-2006, 04:07 PM
I can't stand Harlan, but I like Walton.

I guess I'm a freak.

My favorite, from a few years ago, was a multiple sentence screaming rambling monoluge from Harlan that prompted Jay's_Wife@Section204 to come into the room to see what happened. The following conversation really happened:

Jay's_Wife: "What happened?"

Jay: "Reverse layup."

Jay's_Wife: "Why is he screaming?"

Jay: "I don't know, its early in the third quarter of a regular season game. I guess he's never seen a reverse layup before."

Unclebuck
02-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Al Michaels did not seem to care about the NBA. He didn't know when to get excited, in fact he never did, every game seemed to be a preseason game with him. Al was excellent on basebell and football but terrible on basketball.

Mike Breen is my current favorite TV "play-by-play" guy. I like him better than even Marv, although Marv is still great. But Mike is great also, his occasional analysis is better than 95% of the NBA analysts. ABC finally has a good crew. Now if they can only re-vamp their insulting pregame show. What do they think we are a bunch morons with the attention spans of 8 year olds.

Why can't they cover the NBA like they do the NFL. That goes for ESPN and ABC.

I agree with you Jay, Harlan gwets too excited about nothing. Although he has gotten better and he does have a good voice.

Reggie Miller: this might get me banned from the city of Indianapolis - but he really isn't very good. He's likeable, but he doesn't really say anything.

D-BONE
02-08-2006, 05:17 PM
UB, I'm with ya on #31. As much as I'd love to say I like his commentary, I just haven't been that impressed. Geez, those games when they put he and Kerr together on TNT! Trio of hoops announcers? Bad idea two color guys. Remember Walton and Snapper Jones. I just couldn't take that schtick.

efx
02-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Kevin Harlan is by far my favorite announcer! "WITH NO REGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE!!!!!" lol

Kstat
02-08-2006, 05:55 PM
"Schrempf open for three...

Ein! Svi! DRI!!!!!"

That was always my personal favorite.

IMO there's no such thing as getting too excited over good plays.

SoupIsGood
02-08-2006, 06:00 PM
I LOVE Harlan

stipo
02-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Talk about a ringing endorsement!:laugh: I would agree that he is "just fine".

I've always thought that Marv was the best, as long as he isn't calling Knick games! He didn't sound particularly pro-knick, but the thought of him being a Knick fan bothered me!;) Now that the Knicks stink, bring him back to do the finals.

Walton is like Cosell to me, he irritates others but I love his "differentness", he gives me a viewpoint that's not middle-of-the-road.

Lord Helmet
02-08-2006, 06:06 PM
"Schrempf open for three...

Ein! Svi! DRI!!!!!"

That was always my personal favorite.

IMO there's no such thing as getting too excited over good plays.
You mean,

Ein, Zwei, Drei?

Sorry, it happens when you're in a German class.....

Kegboy
02-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Al Michaels did not seem to care about the NBA. He didn't know when to get excited, in fact he never did, every game seemed to be a preseason game with him.

Al doesn't get excited about much of anything. With the things he's seen over his career, it takes something pretty spectacular to get him revved up.

I agree with Kstat, Breen's fine. However, he'll always have a special place in my heart for calling out AI at Conseco a few years back.

circlecitysportsfan
02-08-2006, 10:13 PM
I like Bob Costas and Doug Collins the best. Maybe it was just because they did the 2000 Finals.

Kegboy
02-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Bob Costas is pretty damn good. Too bad he's quasi-retired.

pizza guy
02-08-2006, 11:15 PM
I've always sort of had a problem with Al Michaels. Nothing he ever says bothers me, nor does his style. Just the fact that he doesn't know much about the game he is calling, and it was obvious when he did NBA games. He has a great announcer's voice, and a good character for it, just, not the knowledge of the game.

Marv is good, he's almost the voice of the NBA to me. Just PLEASE, keep Bill Walton away from the Finals. My all-time favorite quote from Bill, "Shaq makes his free throws when they count!" Could not believe those words would come out of anyone's mouth. I about died laughing.

D-BONE
02-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Anybody remember TBS NBA with the color commentary duo of Bill Russell and Rick Barry? Who was the play-by-play guy on that?

brichard
02-10-2006, 10:47 PM
You mean,

Ein, Zwei, Drei?

Sorry, it happens when you're in a German class.....

Well technically it is...

Eins, Zwei, Drei?

My funniest moment in high school German class was playing the game Battleship. Everybody kept saying G6 when it was their turn. It took the teacher half the class to figure out that G6 sounds like "Gay Sex" in English.

:)