PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons ranks NBA teams

rexnom
02-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Bill Simmons ranked his NBA teams (in the whole big picture sense, like he does).

The article is a little too big to paste in but you can find it here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060208

He usually likes the Pacers and I think what he wrote here is pretty decent. He had us ranked at 3 before the trade demand.

"15. Indiana
A tentative ranking: I want to watch them with Peja for a few weeks. Indiana might be the one team that can redeem him ... ever since he fell apart in the 2004 playoffs, he had been slowly morphing into the Yugoslavian Matt Bullard for 18 months and nobody realized it. This Pacers situation feels right for him. I'm sufficiently intrigued.

(On the flip side, Danny Granger's falling to No. 17 would have been the Draft Gift of the Decade if Dwyane Wade hadn't fallen to Miami at No. 5. And you thought the Basketball Gods still didn't keep Larry Legend in their thoughts.)"

He does write this about the trade though:

"Anyway, I liked the deal more for the Kings: Artest gives them the best defensive stopper in the conference, someone who can cover everyone from Kobe to Ginobili to Brand. They had a "first round and out" ceiling before the trade; now they have an "anything's possible" ceiling. And I mean, anything. Right down to Artest fighting the Maloof Brothers to the death in the old "Real World" suite at the Palms."

D-BONE
02-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Totally dig the "morphing into the Yugoslavian Matt Bullard" line. That's too good!

Moses
02-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Bill Simmons is always a good laugh. Even though he is joking, he's better then 90% of the other ESPN analysts.

Hicks
02-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Actually, as much as I agree with that for his overall style, I think he does a pretty good job of ranking teams and players.

rexnom
02-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Actually, as much as I agree with that for his overall style, I think he does a pretty good job of ranking teams and players.

I love reading his stuff and, I agree, he is fairly astute in his assessments.

CableKC
02-08-2006, 04:59 PM
First, I have a scoop for you: A well-placed source tells me that Isiah Thomas is prepared to trade Channing Frye and Penny Hardaway to Denver for Kenyon Martin and Earl Watson, but only if Martin agrees to an MRI on his surgically repaired knee. If Martin's knee is in good shape, the Knicks are calling off the deal. If the knee is in rough shape, the deal is on. If the knee is in such terrible shape that the doctor says something like, "Wow, there's a good chance K-Mart might walk with a limp for the rest of his life," the Knicks will throw in an unconditional No. 1 in 2009 as well as Nate Robinson and $3 million dollars. So stay tuned.

Actually....I like the first paragraph the most. Frickin' hilarious....

themind
02-08-2006, 05:17 PM
The more I hear about how Ron "will bring Sac to stardom" and see all of his "success", the more I realize that Ron-Peja deal was a steal to Pacers ;)

Pacers#1Fan
02-08-2006, 05:34 PM
You really can't complain about the ranking with as bad as we have been play (not including the last three games). I can't wait until Ron turns back into the Ron we all learned to hate.

Trader Joe
02-08-2006, 05:36 PM
The thought of Ron and the Maloofs fighting makes me laugh. Because it could really happen. Just think of the headlines "Ron and the Maloofs fight in a Drunk Rage on the Strip". I would be so beautiful I would cry.

CableKC
02-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Good read.

stipo
02-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Simmons is a guy who loves the NBA as much as real fans do. Very unusual for a professional media guy these days.