PDA

View Full Version : Another computer question

Vicious Tyrant
02-08-2006, 09:55 AM
The hard drive thing got me thinking.

If my hard drive would go out, there go about 500 pictures of the kids. So being the clever devil I am, I put all the pictures on a couple CD-roms. Then I did it again, so I have a "BACK" - "UP" (that's a computer term for those less knowlegable than me).

Now I'm wondering...how safe am I? Are CD-roms the best storage device? Is there something else I should be looking at to preserve all these photos?

btowncolt
02-08-2006, 10:01 AM

If my hard drive would go out, there go about 500 pictures of the kids. So being the clever devil I am, I put all the pictures on a couple CD-roms. Then I did it again, so I have a "BACK" - "UP" (that's a computer term for those less knowlegable than me).

Now I'm wondering...how safe am I? Are CD-roms the best storage device? Is there something else I should be looking at to preserve all these photos?

I would put them on a flash drive. They're pretty cheap.

I hope you know what that is. If not, please don't try to show your hard-drive your p*nis.

Vicious Tyrant
02-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Are they the little keychain things? Are they fairly permanent? Did Btown just give me a straight response?

btowncolt
02-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Are they the little keychain things? Are they fairly permanent? Did Btown just give me a straight response?

1) Yeah, those are the little keychain things.

2) Yes, they're fairly permanent (though easy to misplace).

3) I'm always in a good mood in the mornings.

Vicious Tyrant
02-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks

heywoode
02-08-2006, 07:03 PM
I can't really see how a CD would be any less permanent as long as they are cared for. If you don't use them as frisbees, I think the lifespan of a cd is about 700 years...

I would trust them more than a flash drive that can geek out...Besides, if you are talking about 500 pictures or a couple CD's worth, a flash drive that big is gonna cost you $60-$100....I have a CruzerMini 1GB flash drive and it cost me about $70, but the prices have dropped in the last few months...

I burn all my pics to blank data dvd's....I'm so paranoid, I usually burn the current ones to a dvd-rw until I have enough to fill a blank dvd (4.7GB or so) and then I burn them to that, and make a backup. I keep one set in the house, in a spindle that I can grab on the way out, even if the house is on fire. The other set I keep at work in case the house burns down and I'm not home, or I don't have time to grab them...

I once thought I lost about a thousand pictures of my daughter's birth and first year of life, and I was devastated. I got one of my uber-geek friends to recover them from the trashed hard drive and have never let myself get in that position again!

able
02-08-2006, 07:28 PM
actual lifespan of cd's is just a couple of years. and that is the TOP quality ones.

in actual fact the cheap ones wont last you a year without dataloss

heywoode
02-08-2006, 07:54 PM
actual lifespan of cd's is just a couple of years. and that is the TOP quality ones.

in actual fact the cheap ones wont last you a year without dataloss

Wha?

I've never heard that in my life...I've got cd's, both data backups and actual program install CD's, from 1997 or so and they are just fine...

Now you've got me worried!! I'm guessing that the quality of CD's is not any different in the UK/Europe than in the USA??

btowncolt
02-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Wha?

I've never heard that in my life...I've got cd's, both data backups and actual program install CD's, from 1997 or so and they are just fine...

Now you've got me worried!! I'm guessing that the quality of CD's is not any different in the UK/Europe than in the USA??

He's right.

heywoode
02-08-2006, 09:09 PM
He's right.

Then how is it that I have 7 and 8 year old ones that are just fine? with no data loss whatsoever?

Not being a smartass, just asking....

heywoode
02-08-2006, 11:19 PM
I just loaded pictures back to my hard drive from a CD backup from 1999, and a friend loaded a CD of mp3's from February 1998, and neither of us had a lick of trouble....

Just to be safe, I'm now going to back them all up onto a blank dvd...

I still feel like if you take care of them and they are archive stuff, they can last indefinitely almost....was told it is better to store them vertically rather than horizontally though....Mine are all horizontal on spindles....

Doug
02-09-2006, 01:16 PM
I just wanted to second the "off-site backup" part of this. Making a copy to CD doesn't do you any good if your house burns down with the CD in it.

I've got an offsite backup, plus I do a periodic backup to an external HD that I can *theoretically* grab if I'm leaving the house and the house is on fire. I say theoretically because getting the family, then me, out in a fire is (obviously) much more important than some pictures. They aren't worth my life. And if I have enough time to grab the HD, I've probably got enough time to unhook a few cables and take the whole dang computer (it's a Shuttle small form factor PC - about the size of a shoe box).

travmil
02-09-2006, 02:24 PM
I still have CD's laying around that I burned with my very first CD burner almost 7 years ago. Just to check, I got them out of their cases and fired them up and they are working poerfectly. Some of the discs have programs, some have music, some have data and other files, basically all kinds. I don't get the whole movement that CD's are suddenly suspect for data storage. I'm in the camp that says as long as you put them in cases and take care of them, you'll be fine. I've never had a CD fail me that didn't have some sort of neglect and/or visible damage. Also, I still have a few of the original CD's I bought when they first came out. Bon Jovi "Slippery When Wet" is still rockin' the house. For those doing the math, I've owned this CD for nearly 20 years.

Zesty
02-09-2006, 04:09 PM
I would recommend using CD-RWs over CD-Rs, as the material on the disc is less susceptible to damage or failure due to environmental causes. And I would suggest keeping them in dark areas (like inside a cabinet instead of lying on your desk).

Vicious Tyrant
02-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Also, I still have a few of the original CD's I bought when they first came out. Bon Jovi "Slippery When Wet" is still rockin' the house. For those doing the math, I've owned this CD for nearly 20 years.
Do I understand correctly that a store-bought music CD and a home-burned CD are two different types of "creating" a CD?

Is that the reason for the CD-RW recommendation? A different technology than a CD-R?

Knucklehead Warrior
02-10-2006, 02:37 AM
1) Yeah, those are the little keychain things.
2) Yes, they're fairly permanent (though easy to misplace).
3) I'm always in a good mood in the mornings.
No, you're not on my ignore list.

They are the "fairly permanent" du jour. Just as 3.5" floppies are virtually obsolete, so will be the CDs and thumb drives some day. At some point you'll need to copy all those old CDs to whatever is the "fairly permanent du jour" media of the future.

Sort of like when you moved your 8 tracks and cassettes to CD. You did that right? :laugh: What will you do with all those VCR tapes you have?

Technology changes. I worked with a guy once (in IT) who actually believed we'd still be using CDs in a hundred years. I would say we have no idea what we'll be saving our files on in 50 years. Probably backing up our data to paper clips magnetically or writing them to the back of our retinas for easy retrieval.

Skaut_Ech
02-10-2006, 09:26 AM

Allow me to point you to THIS thread, my technologically challenged friend:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18047

Because of this information I took this step-

I scanned Frye Electronic's ads and caught a special on an external hard drive. Watching specials, you can get a nice size external for under $100.

So anyways, I got a 250 GB external for $100 with rebates and in store coupon (regularly $170). Why is this cool? I'm glad you asked. With one push of a button, I can backup my entire hard drive.:-o

They have smaller, more portable ones that you can plug in, backup your photos and unplug for a lot less money and smaller sized which would fit your needs. Then you can just keep your little, portable, external HD in a nice cool place. May be safer bet than CDs/DVDs.

Vicious Tyrant
02-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Allow me to point you to THIS thread, my technologically challenged friend:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18047

Because of this information I took this step-

I scanned Frye Electronic's ads and caught a special on an external hard drive. Watching specials, you can get a nice size external for under $100.

So anyways, I got a 250 GB external for $100 with rebates and in store coupon (regularly $170). Why is this cool? I'm glad you asked. With one push of a button, I can backup my entire hard drive.:-o

They have smaller, more portable ones that you can plug in, backup your photos and unplug for a lot less money and smaller sized which would fit your needs. Then you can just keep your little, portable, external HD in a nice cool place. May be safer bet than CDs/DVDs.
Wow that's just a month old. How did miss that?

Geez SE, it must be nice to be on a cop's salary and have money to throw around like that. Me, I dress my family in homespun and toil at the butter churn all morning just to have enough to buy my neighbor's used coffee grounds.

Alms! Alms!

heywoode
02-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Yes, Skaut is right on...

I would trust a external hard drive more than CD's.

However, if you already have a CD burner in your PC, a stack of decent quality CD's is a much cheaper solution.

I thought more about what able said and went looking...

A few 'scare-tactic' looking places claimed the shelf life for CD-R and CD-RW discs are only a couple of years, but the majority of sites visited stated that with proper care and storage, CD's can be read a thousand times or more, and last for hundreds of years.

Wikipedia sums it up pretty well here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-R

"At present, stated CD-R lifetimes are only estimates based on accelerated aging (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_aging) tests as the technology has not been in existence long enough to verify the upper range. With proper care it is thought that CD-Rs should be readable one thousand times or more and have a shelf life of several hundred years. Unfortunately, some common practices can reduce shelf life to only one or two years. Therefore, it is important to handle and store CD-Rs properly if you wish to read them more than a year or so later."

For offsite storage, I will probably turn to a portable external hard drive. For on-site, normal backups, I will still use CD-R and DVD+R discs.

btowncolt
02-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Wow that's just a month old. How did miss that?

Geez SE, it must be nice to be on a cop's salary and have money to throw around like that. Me, I dress my family in homespun and toil at the butter churn all morning just to have enough to buy my neighbor's used coffee grounds.

Alms! Alms!

You have a job jerking a big pole all day? Why am I not surprised?

Vicious Tyrant
02-11-2006, 02:17 AM
You have a job jerking a big pole all day? Why am I not surprised?
Big doesn't begin to describe it, man.