PDA

View Full Version : Hawks 99, Pistons 98

Shade
02-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Wow. :eek:

NorCal_Pacerfan
02-07-2006, 10:34 PM
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Hell has frozen over. Deeeeeeeeeeeetroit loses 2 in a row!!!!

Go Baby Al!

Kstat
02-07-2006, 10:35 PM
We're a bad team. We've been a bad team for about 2 weeks now, for whatever reason.

Pretty much anybody can beat us right now.

Shade
02-07-2006, 10:35 PM
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Hell has frozen over. Deeeeeeeeeeeetroit loses 2 in a row!!!!

Go Baby Al!

Remember Pippen's advice about losing two in a row?

"No championship for you, Detroit!" :lol:

Seriously, though, I think the Pistons are just tired. Their starters have been logging serious minutes for over 2 and a half years now, and their bench sucks nickels.

Kstat
02-07-2006, 10:36 PM
Remeber Scottie's advice about losing two in a row?

"No championship for you, Detroit!" :lol:

Serously, though, I think the Pistons are just tired. Their starters have been logging serious minutes for over 2 and a half years now, and their bench sucks nickels.

The bench isn't bad. It's full of solid players. We just need the right combination.

Kegboy
02-07-2006, 10:36 PM
We're a bad team. We've been a bad team for about 2 weeks now.

So are you gonna throw them under the bus in time for Dumars to trade Lindsay Hunter for Shaq?

Shade
02-07-2006, 10:37 PM
We're a bad team. We've been a bad team for about 2 weeks now, for whatever reason.

So you're saying the Pacers suck... :grumble:

Shade
02-07-2006, 10:37 PM
So are you gonna throw them under the bus in time for Dumars to trade Lindsay Hunter for Shaq?

:rotflmao: :(

Shade
02-07-2006, 10:38 PM
The bench isn't bad. It's full of solid players. We just need the right combination.

Meh, unproven youngsters and over-the-hill vets don't really equal "solid" to me.

Kstat
02-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Meh, unproven youngsters and over-the-hill vets don't really equal "solid" to me.

Delfino and Evans are both solid players. Dice is a solid player. Arroyo is solid offensively at least. Dale and Lindsey are solid players.

We have plenty on the bench, but we're not using the right combinations right now.

shags
02-07-2006, 10:43 PM

An injury to one of the Pistons' starters wouldn't be the worst thing in the world right now. It'd force the bench players into bigger roles. The Pistons have pretty much locked up the East's best record.

I REALLY hope the East coaches don't foolishly vote in all 5 Piston starters to the All-Star game, especially now.

Will Galen
02-07-2006, 10:43 PM
I watched! That was great!

http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/kickpistons.gif

The can gets kicked again!

Shade
02-07-2006, 10:45 PM
I will say one thing you Pistons fans should be wary of, especially now. If there's one thing Flip knows how to do, it's to fully mount the horse and ride it out to pasture. I think KG can attest to that.

Shade
02-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Btw, I heard Sheed picked up tech #12 tonight. Didn't he say he wouldn't put himself in a position to "cost the team" anymore or something like that? Because he should start getting suspensions pretty soon at the rate he's going. Not to mention his team just lost by the same amount as a technical free throw...

Kstat
02-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Btw, I heard Sheed picked up tech #12 tonight. Didn't he say he wouldn't put himself in a position to "cost the team" anymore or something like that? Because he should start getting suspensions pretty soon at the rate he's going.

He might get this one rescinded. He didn't even say anything. All he did was hit the basket support.

Shade
02-07-2006, 10:51 PM
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1171/hummerrear6po.jpg

Man, that picture cracks me up. :lol2: Someone needs to do one with the Mavs, too.

Kegboy
02-07-2006, 10:54 PM
And people knock "riding together". If it's good enough for the champs, it's good enough for us, damn it!

shags
I will say one thing you Pistons fans should be wary of, especially now. If there's one thing Flip knows how to do, it's to fully mount the horse and ride it out to pasture. I think KG can attest to that.

That was a worry of mine going into the season. No one had more pressure to win, IMO, than Flip Saunders. So far it hasn't been an issue, but it's been a fairy tale start. We'll see how the team, and Flip, handles this rough stretch. It's better off that it happens now than in May.

After the way the Pistons have started, anything less than a championship will be a disappointment to me provided the starters stay healthy.

Frank Slade
So that 3 losses in the last 5 games ? :confused:
Well you can't stay that hot forever :cool:

indytoad
02-07-2006, 10:58 PM
I think you're enjoying this a little bit too much, Shade...

IndyToad
Tired of hiding

Merz
02-07-2006, 11:00 PM
After the way the Pistons have started, anything less than a championship will be a disappointment to me provided the starters stay healthy.
As a Colts fan I can tell you that would really, really suck for you Piston fans. (Hopefully the Pacers can play the role of the steelers)

Shade
02-07-2006, 11:01 PM

IndyToad
Tired of hiding

Actually, I'm kinda torn. This is going to diminish the Pacers' win now in some peoples' eyes.

Kstat
02-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Just so you know, Shade, since you seem so interested in how we're doing, I fully intend to start a thread after every game from now on..

Shade
02-07-2006, 11:03 PM
As a Colts fan I can tell you that would really, really suck for you Piston fans. (Hopefully the Pacers can play the role of the steelers)

We're well on pace to get the 6th seed. ;)

Frank Slade
Yep I said early on.. the Pistons remind me of the Colts..because of the way they started . they only direction they can could go was down.
(even if in comparison it's just a small percentage) .with all the attention and pressure of being the Best in the league..

indytoad
Actually, I'm kinda torn. This is going to diminish the Pacers' win now in some peoples' eyes.

Eh, I don't think it'll change how people see it much. If they wanted to diminish it they had enough ammunition already. At this point we wins wherever we can get them - I don't really care what people think.

IndyToad
A few minutes later

Shade
02-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Just so you know, Shade, since you seem so interested in how we're doing, I fully intend to start a thread after every game from now on..

That's okay, I can find out for myself quite easily. ;)

Shade
Eh, I don't think it'll change how people see it much. If they wanted to diminish it they had enough ammunition already. At this point we wins wherever we can get them - I don't really care what people think.

IndyToad
A few minutes later

Did Toad just make a semi-optimistic post? :eek:

GO!!!!!
That Picture is the funniest thing I have seen this year...

shags
02-07-2006, 11:05 PM

It's a different scenario. I'll be disappointed, but I won't be crushed. The Pistons won in 2004, so there's still those relatively fresh memories.

I knew Colts fans who wouldn't watch the championship games, wouldn't read the sports page, wouldn't watch SportsCenter, nothing, just so they didn't have to hear about it. I'm certain many posters can relate.

I wouldn't be like that. I would still watch.

Jermaniac

IndyToad
Tired of hidingProbably not as much as you enjoy watching the Pacers lose

Shade
Yep I said early on.. the Pistons remind me of the Colts..because of the way they started . they only direction they can could go was down.
(even if in comparison it's just a small percentage) .with all the attention and pressure of being the Best in the league..

The difference is, the Pistons are proven playoff performers, while the Colts...well... =/

Frank Slade
02-07-2006, 11:06 PM
The difference is, the Pistons are proven playoff performers, while the Colts...well... =/

Yes . I know.. all too well... :suicide:

indytoad
02-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Did Toad just make a semi-optimistic post? :eek:

Move along, move along, nothing to see here folks...

IndyToad
With your bare eyes

shags
02-07-2006, 11:07 PM

Exactly. :D

D-BONE
02-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Hmm. I think I'm just worryin about the Pacers at this point. Worry about our game, not anyone elses. I'm thinkin DEE-troit will be around late in the game. Do we have any chance for that? That's a big time mystery. Next thing is beat Portland.

sweabs
02-07-2006, 11:09 PM
They can lose to the Hawks all they want, they're still the best team in the league.

By the way, it's regular season.

The Pistons will have the last laugh come June.

shags
02-07-2006, 11:10 PM
While we're on the topic, what would Chauncey Billups' averages have to be in order to pull off a Peyton Manning-esque playoff performance?

I'm going with 12 ppg, 5 apg, 3 turnoverspg, 35% shooting, 30% 3PT shooting, 80% FT shooting, with the Pistons losing the series. Is that worse, better, or right on.

Pig Nash
02-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Exactly. :D

You probably like the Lions!

He went there?

http://www.hjo3.net/orly/gal1/orly_owl.jpg

Ya Rly!

NorCal_Pacerfan
02-07-2006, 11:12 PM
I'm curious, now that the Pistons had a couple of days off, what will their excuse be for this loss?

shags
02-07-2006, 11:13 PM
You probably like the Lions!

He went there?

http://www.hjo3.net/orly/gal1/orly_owl.jpg

Ya Rly!

Bears fan!!!!!

Everyone in my family is a Lions fan, except for me. I feel so sorry for my dad. I really want the Lions to make one Super Bowl before he dies.

SoupIsGood
02-07-2006, 11:14 PM
HahA!

shags
02-07-2006, 11:14 PM
I'm curious, now that the Pistons had a couple of days off, what will their excuse be for this loss?

There isn't one. The Pacers loss was at least understandable. This one and the 2nd Utah loss are the only perplexing losses, at least to me.

Shade
02-07-2006, 11:16 PM
Hmm. I think I'm just worryin about the Pacers at this point. Worry about our game, not anyone elses. I'm thinkin DEE-troit will be around late in the game. Do we have any chance for that? That's a big time mystery. Next thing is beat Portland.

There was no Pacers game tonight to talk about.

FrenchConnection
02-07-2006, 11:17 PM
All those minutes played by the starters have got to be taking their toll. Prince played almost the entire game tonight; that's bad coaching. People say they have no bench, but I wouldn't know because they almost never play. I think that with all those minutes they have to be getting ready to take a serious injury.

ghost
02-07-2006, 11:18 PM
That Picture is the funniest thing I have seen this year...

It brought wide smile on my face too.
:D

NorCal_Pacerfan
02-07-2006, 11:20 PM
There isn't one. The Pacers loss was at least understandable. This one and the 2nd Utah loss are the only perplexing losses, at least to me.

That's what I figure. This loss is NOTHING. It's not a blow out. It's a one point swing. It's a flip of a coin. It's a roll of the dice. One free throw.

I enjoy it because it's two in a row for D, which seemed unlikely a week ago. I enjoy it because we are barely a .500 ballclub. I enjoy it because the Ps are our biggest rivals. I enjoy it because I like to see the Wallace brothers get flustered.

I'm sure the P's will be right back on top with another winning streak...

NorCal_Pacerfan
02-07-2006, 11:23 PM
It brought wide smile on my face too.
:D

I love that picture. I get a kick out of it everytime I see it.

Pig Nash
02-07-2006, 11:30 PM
I agree:

http://www.orlyowls.com/submit/images/101.jpg

I need to stop.

D-BONE
02-07-2006, 11:32 PM
There was no Pacers game tonight to talk about.

Point taken. Enjoy talking Pistons.

pacercoltfan
02-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Aww! Detroit lost :shakehead Just so sad! :console::evillaugh

NorCal_Pacerfan
02-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Point taken. Enjoy talking Pistons.

D-BONE - Your Avitar reminds me...

When I was at the Warriors game I was hootin' for Fred Jones in the 4th. There was this wise cracker in front of me - when I would say Fred Jones, he would say more like - "Fred Sanford"! Doh!

Hicks
02-07-2006, 11:41 PM
You know, the more I look at Fred Sanford, that really is pretty close to how Fred could look when he's an old man. :laugh:

D-BONE
02-07-2006, 11:42 PM
NorCal-Sounds like a wise cat. I was just thinking the other day Fred G. Sanford...Fred G. Jones. Anybody think Freddie is like our displaced version of the Microwave in some ways? Whoa! Now I'm talkin' Pistons in a sense. :D

Jon Theodore
02-08-2006, 12:04 AM
Pistons win this game if rasheed doesn't get a tech, that is hilarious.

Kstat
02-08-2006, 12:05 AM
They win this game if they decide to play any defense in the last 2 minnutes, too.

The tech wasn't any more important.

sweabs
02-08-2006, 12:12 AM
Out of curiousity - who was guarding Joe Johnson?

Kstat
02-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Out of curiousity - who was guarding Joe Johnson?
Nobody.

sweabs
02-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Nobody.

Seriously, though. Was it Rip?

Kstat
02-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Seriously, though. Was it Rip?

Rip I thought guarded him pretty well.

He did a lot of his damage on Mo Evans off the bench, and the billups got switch on him, which wasn't a good idea. By the time Tay got his turn, Johnson was already in a great groove.

sweabs
02-08-2006, 12:23 AM
Rip I thought guarded him pretty well.

He did a lot of his damage on Mo Evans off the bench, and the billups got switch on him, which wasn't a good idea. By the time Tay got his turn, Johnson was already in a great groove.

Mo Evans only got 7 minutes of playing time...so I guess he really poured it on during those 7 minutes.

I still think exploiting Rip on the defensive end is the way to beat the Pistons. Please do not take offense to that.

Kstat
02-08-2006, 12:29 AM
Mo Evans only got 7 minutes of playing time...so I guess he really poured it on during those 7 minutes.

I still think exploiting Rip on the defensive end is the way to beat the Pistons. Please do not take offense to that.

He did...why do you think Mo didnt play in the 2nd half?

Jermaniac
02-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Of course it was Mo Evans, RC why did you even ask this question? Of course it wasnt any of the Pistons starting 5, they never do any wrong, dont have any weakness in their game and no one ever scores on them, they actually allow 0 ppg, all the points the Pistons give up are given up by the bench.

Also the Pistons NEVER lose games, they only give them up because they are either tired or didnt want to play.

Pacers#1Fan
02-08-2006, 12:34 AM
A Piston loss always makes even the worst night seem okay

OnlyPacersLeft
02-08-2006, 12:55 AM

even the magic? cause if you lose to the magic then you REALLY suck...

FreshPrince22
02-08-2006, 02:06 AM
Takes a little luster off that win now doesn't it? Especially considering the circumstances (2 days off for this one, 4th in 5 nights against the Pacers). The fact is, Chauncey is proving he's the MVP right now. Ever since he took that knee to his thigh against the Lakers he has been awful, and the team has followed suit (2-3 since then). We go how Chauncey goes. If he just took a couple games off (ala Nash), he'd be a lock.

ssmall
02-08-2006, 02:45 AM
Kinda funny how everyone is jumping on Pistons right now after two game loosing streak. Should i remind how many we lost in a row? Not to mention to what teams:rolleyes:. I realise someone is happy that they loose latelly (me included :P ) still i think people are pushing it too hard :).

Mr.ThunderMakeR
02-08-2006, 03:10 AM
Regardless of who was guarding him, Joe Johnson has been balling lately, hes looking real good. 40 pts against the Bulls on the 28. I think hes starting to live up to all the hype he was getting last year.

317Kim
02-08-2006, 06:20 AM
It was a pleasant game to watch. I guess getting that 40th win has been frustarating for them.

ReGGiesBoOmBaby
02-08-2006, 07:53 AM
Awesome!!The Hawks are not really that bad tho. They have beaten the Spurs, Pistons, Pacers, Cavaliers, Nuggets...

Wow.Unbelievable!

Originally Posted by MagicRat
http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/kickpistons.gif

grace
02-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Takes a little luster off that win now doesn't it?

Actually it looks to me like we scared them so much they can't even beat the Hawks.

I have no problem with taking games off (well I do, but that's beside the point), but to lose to the Hawks is humiliating. Not as humiliating as losing to the Bobcats by 30, but it's still bad.

SoupIsGood
02-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Actually it looks to me like we scared them so much they can't even beat the Hawks.

:nod:

CableKC
02-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Hey now......don't kick the PD Piston's fans while they are down.....they were good enough to not kick us when we were sucking out loud.

I'll just echo what many of us have said. I think that Flip was running all 5 starters at 150% and they have really sprinted out of the gates before hitting the wall recently.

KSTAT and FreshPrince22 can answer this....but are the starting 5 playing more minutes this season compared to last season? Of the few times that I catch the boxscores for the Pistons....the starting lineup pretty much plays 35 to 40 minutes a game.

I'm gonna guess that Flip is gonna start using the depth that the Pistons have....which may result in more losses.....but change the Piston's run to the playoffs from a sprint to a marathon.

Shade
02-08-2006, 03:28 PM

I have no problem with taking games off (well I do, but that's beside the point), but to lose to the Hawks is humiliating. Not as humiliating as losing to the Bobcats by 30, but it's still bad.

We're 0-2 against the Hawks this season. The Spurs have also lost to the Hawks this season. :innocent:

FreshPrince22
02-08-2006, 04:50 PM
KSTAT and FreshPrince22 can answer this....but are the starting 5 playing more minutes this season compared to last season? Of the few times that I catch the boxscores for the Pistons....the starting lineup pretty much plays 35 to 40 minutes a game.

I'm gonna guess that Flip is gonna start using the depth that the Pistons have....which may result in more losses.....but change the Piston's run to the playoffs from a sprint to a marathon.

In an article that came out today, Flip said he was going to cut the starters minutes by 5, even if it adds up to more losses. I think he felt a lot of pressure to win a lot of games early on. Being the successor to a HOF coach the year after 2 finals runs can do that to you, I'd imagine. As for the minutes, it's a mix. The 2 guys who played ridiculous minutes last year (Rip and Tayshaun), are both down a decent amount. Ben, Sheed, and Chauncey's are up slightly. I think you'll start seeing more Dale Davis for Ben (the plan was always to get him going post all-star break), and Lindsey Hunter was activated yesterday. So he'll be worked into the rotation to spell Billups.

I think you'll see a trade go down though. Arroyo is too inconsistant to cover for Billups when he's hurt like this. One day he's great (usually at home), the next he is awful (usually on the road). IMO, when he doesn't play well, he brings the entire bench down with him. Because Delfinio, McDyess, Evans, Dale, and Lindsey can play. There is no doubt in my mind about those guys. The problem is that Arroyo is a nightmare on defense, and the offense stalls out. There is already some buzz around Detroit about it. I think it will be Darko and Arroyo hitting the road for a very good backup PG personally.

Slick Pinkham
02-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Hey, we're only 14 games back in the loss column!

:shrug:

CableKC
02-08-2006, 05:27 PM
In an article that came out today, Flip said he was going to cut the starters minutes by 5, even if it adds up to more losses. I think he felt a lot of pressure to win a lot of games early on. Being the successor to a HOF coach the year after 2 finals runs can do that to you, I'd imagine.
I was kind of thinking the same thing here. They had manhandled the Spurs....twice....and the rest of the league....so I took it more as a message from the Pistons ( as in Coach/Dumars/Starting Lineup ) that it wasn't the Coach ( LB ) but the players that won the championship. But this was more at a cost of running the starting lineup in overdrive.

circlecitysportsfan
02-08-2006, 11:26 PM
It's a different scenario. I'll be disappointed, but I won't be crushed. The Pistons won in 2004, so there's still those relatively fresh memories.

I knew Colts fans who wouldn't watch the championship games, wouldn't read the sports page, wouldn't watch SportsCenter, nothing, just so they didn't have to hear about it. I'm certain many posters can relate.
I wouldn't be like that. I would still watch.

That was so me, i turned the channel as soon as the ball left vandy's foot. Way to painful, i ask god to give me something so i would not care so much about sports. That tuesday my gf told me she was preg...woo hoo!

Fool
02-10-2006, 10:55 AM
BTW, Flip has said more than once already that he would "play the bench more" or "play the starters less" and so far he's never followed through on it.

Black Sox
02-10-2006, 11:01 AM
By the time playoffs come the pistons will be running on fumes unless they play their bench more. Thats right, they don't have a bench.

Kstat
02-10-2006, 07:02 PM
By the time playoffs come the pistons will be running on fumes unless they play their bench more. Thats right, they don't have a bench.

We don't have a bench?

Huh?

Shade
02-10-2006, 07:19 PM
We don't have a bench?

Huh?

Flip doesn't seem to think so.

shags
02-10-2006, 07:23 PM

If the Pistons don't have a bench, then virtually every team in the league doesn't have a starting lineup.

Kstat
02-10-2006, 07:45 PM
If the Pistons don't have a bench, then virtually every team in the league doesn't have a starting lineup.

:laugh:

touche

Kstat
02-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Flip doesn't seem to think so.

Eventually I think that tune will change, if it hasn't already.

Shade
02-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Eventually I think that tune will change, if it hasn't already.

One injury, and he won't have a choice.

Seriously, the Pistons' starters are due to run out of gas or get injured or something. Two and a half straight years of heavy minutes, going deep into the playoffs, and now 4 of them will be playing in the All-Star game to boot? I'm starting to think they're actually androids or something.

Kstat
02-10-2006, 07:53 PM
That's just silly. Staying healthy doesnt make you more likely to get injured. It only makes you LESS likely.

As for the minutes, they expend less energy than most guys because they share the workload.

I'd like to see them play less, sure. And in time I think they will. We're nearing the point where both Hunter and Dale and be worked into the rotation without fear of over-working them.

BigMac
02-10-2006, 07:57 PM
I don't know how relevant this is to the conversation but the thing about the players being the reason the Pistons are good I think can be related to IU going to the final four under Mike Davis. They kept the knowledge that they learned from Knight and lost the pressure and took that knowledge on how to play basketball correctly along with the fundamentals and played loose and won some big games and went to the National Championship game.

I think this may be the same thing. Flip is not that good of a coach imo. And these same guys that Larry Brown coached still have the knowledge of basketball and have worked on skills they needed to and are applying those and playing looser. And that will be the fools gold that in an NBA season might just catch up to them in the long run. Maybe this isn't the point where it catches up to them but I believe it will at some point this season. But we will see. They are still the best team in the league. But I still hate them.

But the best news of all is that Flip Saunders is coaching them. He's never won anything as far as I know, at least nothing that he is notable for in my mind. Great players can take you so far and then the coaching makes the difference and I think that that will eventually be the Pistons downfall-at least I hope it is.

Kstat
02-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Funny, Larry Brown never won anything in the NBA before he came to detroit, either...

Guess he was an equally bad coach.

Carlisle doesn't have any titles either. Is he a bad coach too?

Flip's one of the best offensive X's and O's guys in the NBA. Always has been. Anybody who can't see that is blind.

Shade
02-10-2006, 08:02 PM
I don't know how relevant this is to the conversation but the thing about the players being the reason the Pistons are good I think can be related to IU going to the final four under Mike Davis. They kept the knowledge that they learned from Knight and lost the pressure and took that knowledge on how to play basketball correctly along with the fundamentals and played loose and won some big games and went to the National Championship game.

I think this may be the same thing. Flip is not that good of a coach imo. And these same guys that Larry Brown coached still have the knowledge of basketball and have worked on skills they needed to and are applying those and playing looser. And that will be the fools gold that in an NBA season might just catch up to them in the long run. Maybe this isn't the point where it catches up to them but I believe it will at some point this season. But we will see. They are still the best team in the league. But I still hate them.

But the best news of all is that Flip Saunders is coaching them. He's never won anything as far as I know, at least nothing that he is notable for in my mind. Great players can take you so far and then the coaching makes the difference and I think that that will eventually be the Pistons downfall-at least I hope it is.

That's an interesting analogy. :chin:

FreshPrince22
02-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Funny, Larry Brown never won anything in the NBA before he came to detroit, either...

Guess he was an equally bad coach.

Carlisle doesn't have any titles either. Is he a bad coach too?

Flip's one of the best offensive X's and O's guys in the NBA. Always has been. Anybody who can't see that is blind.

Thank you.