PDA

View Full Version : And so now it's Cro

indygeezer
02-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Just heard Mike Wells on the radio saying that they are going to hold Cro out for at least a couple of games. He recently suffered his 2nd concussion is the last couple of weeks and they are not taking chances with him on this.

(Kaufman you can explain the implications of multiple concussions)

bnd45
02-06-2006, 06:04 PM
I see this as good news because I was feeling uneasy with how the rotation would ajdust upon his return. I like the current group because Granger gets minutes at both F spots and we are a better rebounding team when we use both Foster and Pollard and Harrison rotating in at C. Plus, having Peja decreases Cro's value and importance on this team.

Frank Slade
02-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Yeah I had heard they expect him to hopefully be back next week Wenesday against the Bucks...

317Kim
02-06-2006, 06:52 PM
I was hopin Sunday for the Spurs but Wednesday with the Bucks is okay too. :)

Pacers#1Fan
02-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Cro is a tough guy, he'll be fine. Multiple concussions are a very serious health threat however. I think this is going to be good for Cro. If they say they are going to hold him out a couple games, in Pacers that means we'll see him after the All-Star break.

Kaufman
02-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Geez,
Concussion is a very non-specific word in my world. We don't ever really use it in medicine, but it gets across a point. It basically is similar to a term like "getting the wind knocked out" or "had his bell rung". That said, concussions can be very dangerous, and especially in sports, they tend to get overlooked for as serious as they can be.

A way I might describe it is, imagine you fell down the stairs one day after wrestling (or as they say down here in 'Tucky, wrastling) with Junior. Now lets say junior races down the stairs to see how dad was, and junior arrived at a dad who didn't know where he was or didn't remember the day or month or year or even the President. Junior would be worried and would try to get dad to the emergency room.

In sports, these kinds of things can tend to get overlooked. Some trainer just says, "Ehh, Rajon just got his bell rung. Let's send him home early and he'll be fine tomorrow." The problem is, Rajon might have torn a blood vessel in his brain or bruised some of his brain. If Rajon gets a second "concussion", the chance that Rajon might not get some of his memory back gets quite a bit greater. And a few more concussions, and Rajon and Muhammed Ali would be doing Oprah together.

So lets talk about the brain - it normally floats around in the skull, with spinal fluid serving as a cushion. The brain itself is gelatin-like and is vulnerable to trauma. The skull protects the brain against trauma but does not absorb all of the impact of the force.

An abrupt blow to the head can cause the brain to bounce against the inner wall of the skull and this is when the damage is essentially done. There is a potential for tearing of blood vessels, pulling of nerve fibers and bruising of the brain substance.

If you'd like to know more about the brain and its jello like structure let me know. I had a guy in the ER Saturday who t-boned another car and he had brain matter coming out of his head. I'd love to share sometime.

Peck
02-07-2006, 02:15 AM
Geez,
Concussion is a very non-specific word in my world. We don't ever really use it in medicine, but it gets across a point. It basically is similar to a term like "getting the wind knocked out" or "had his bell rung". That said, concussions can be very dangerous, and especially in sports, they tend to get overlooked for as serious as they can be.

A way I might describe it is, imagine you fell down the stairs one day after wrestling (or as they say down here in 'Tucky, wrastling) with Junior. Now lets say junior races down the stairs to see how dad was, and junior arrived at a dad who didn't know where he was or didn't remember the day or month or year or even the President. Junior would be worried and would try to get dad to the emergency room.

In sports, these kinds of things can tend to get overlooked. Some trainer just says, "Ehh, Rajon just got his bell rung. Let's send him home early and he'll be fine tomorrow." The problem is, Rajon might have torn a blood vessel in his brain or bruised some of his brain. If Rajon gets a second "concussion", the chance that Rajon might not get some of his memory back gets quite a bit greater. And a few more concussions, and Rajon and Muhammed Ali would be doing Oprah together.

So lets talk about the brain - it normally floats around in the skull, with spinal fluid serving as a cushion. The brain itself is gelatin-like and is vulnerable to trauma. The skull protects the brain against trauma but does not absorb all of the impact of the force.

An abrupt blow to the head can cause the brain to bounce against the inner wall of the skull and this is when the damage is essentially done. There is a potential for tearing of blood vessels, pulling of nerve fibers and bruising of the brain substance.

If you'd like to know more about the brain and its jello like structure let me know. I had a guy in the ER Saturday who t-boned another car and he had brain matter coming out of his head. I'd love to share sometime.

It's amazing what they have done with head injurys, well actually it's amazing what they have learned about the brain & have been able to assist in it's healing.

When I started in the field 20 years ago if a person had a CVA (stroke) & they had neurological deficits from it. The best that person could hope for would be a long stint in the Nursing home & if they were lucky they would respond to physical therapy. Now with the knowledge of fibrilitics & it's impact (thanks Jay) on blood clots in the brain CVA pt.'s can lead normal lives. I've seen guys go from hemiperisis to full function in a matter of hours. This is of course if the clot is attacked fast enough & the Neuro people can r/o a bleed or other problems.

The same goes for head injury patients. 20 years ago a person who had massive head injurys was likely to never be the same mentally again, assuming they ever regained consciousness. We started giving Decadron in the field for head injurys back in the late 80's & we started to see some results from that. Of course that is no longer the treatment of choice & I'm not even sure how often the Neuro guys use steroids anymore or what line of drug it is in their regiment, if at all.

Speed is the key though. The faster we can get to a Level 1 trauma center the higher the chance for full recovery becomes.

In Aug. of last year I had a 16 year old become ejected from his vehicle & the truck rolled over his torso & head.

He had multiple skull fractures, a C-1 fx, T-3456 fx, multiple rib fx & biltat hemo/pneumos. He was decerabrating when I found him, which I've never seen anyone recover from.

That is until him.

We were able to get him to a Level 1 in less than 20 min. & even though his ICP spiked & his body temp shot to over 109 this kid came home 3 months later with no defecits. None.

Anyway, I don't know why I am telling war storys. I guess I just wanted to say that it's good that they are being cautious with Austin because the head is just not something to mess with.

indygeezer
02-07-2006, 06:04 AM
Kauf/Peck....ya wanna compare stories??

Lessee...there was the guy who hit a telephone pole and the guywire smashed down thru the top of the his truck and on thru him and his truck....fishscales.
There was the intact brain laying in the road following a motocycle accident.
Then ther....nevermind cause I'm certain I dun't wanna hear your stories.

Peck...my 85 year old step-father had a massive stroke a couple years back. While he still has some speach impedimate he recently passed the test and got his drivers license back (Thankfully, he's in Florida for the winter ((Just my personal opinion)). It IS amazing what the can do today. HEck when I was a kid a heart attack meant you lived life as an invalid from that point on, if you lived that is.

As for Cro (getting back on topic) we can ALWAYS use him. Our depth is waning and the guys resiliency is going to be tested. We are fortunate right now in that our games are spaced out and not 4 in 5 nights or some such silliness.
==============================
Oh final personal note...my late 1st wife developed epilepsy a month after suffering a massive concussion from being thrown by a horse. She had had MANY concussion in her life from falling on the tennis courts and being thrown by horses. Then too rolling the car down an embankment near Martinsville wouldn't help either (These cover a span of about 17 years) anyway...at the time her nuerologist said these could have all been contributing factors. She was 35 when she suffered her 1st seizure. But it was cancer and lack of medical attention that killed her (belladonna???).

Tom White
02-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Geez,

Or, in this case, Junior would probably say "Well, Dad seems like his normal self."

Sorry, Geez. Just trying to add some levity to this thread.

CableKC
02-07-2006, 01:24 PM
I'm not smart enough to weigh in on the medical side of this ( so I won't ). We may need Croshere....but the longer he is out....the better. It not only means that Carslisle will be forced to play Harrison until he gets his 5 fouls....it also means that Croshere will be more rested for the remainder of the season.

Because I was more concerned that Croshere was running his engines at 150% due to everyone else's injuries, I was more afraid that he would be burnt out by March and April ( the time when we really need him )

The concussion....despite it not being a good thing for a player much less a person.....maybe a blessing in disguise. I just hope that we don't rush him back. If the Pacers need a backup PF to fill in the gaps ( and I don't think we do with a PF/C rotation of Foster/Pollard/Hulk ), I would much rather have the Simon's shell out the $$$ for a 10-day contract PF rather then rush Croshere back.

IMHO.....I think this should apply to all of our key players like Tinsley, JONeal and Croshere.....rest and heal them as long as possible so that they are fresh for a March/April run when it comes down to crunch time during the Playof run.

The current lineup of AJ/Sarunas/SJax/Granger/Hulk/Foster/Pollard/Freddie can keep the ship afloat while they rest and FULLY heal.

Bball
02-07-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm not smart enough to weigh in on the medical side of this ( so I won't ). We may need Croshere....but the longer he is out....the better. It not only means that Carslisle will be forced to play Harrison until he gets his 5 fouls....it also means that Croshere will be more rested for the remainder of the season.

Because I was more concerned that Croshere was running his engines at 150% due to everyone else's injuries, I was more afraid that he would be burnt out by March and April ( the time when we really need him )

The concussion....despite it not being a good thing for a player much less a person.....maybe a blessing in disguise. I just hope that we don't rush him back. If the Pacers need a backup PF to fill in the gaps ( and I don't think we do with a PF/C rotation of Foster/Pollard/Hulk ), I would much rather have the Simon's shell out the $$$ for a 10-day contract PF rather then rush Croshere back.

The current lineup of AJ/Sarunas/SJax/Granger/Hulk/Foster/Pollard/Freddie can keep the ship afloat while they rest and FULLY heal.

Harrison got a concussion last season and ended up needing knee surgery...

..of course that had more to do with the Star failing to actually report on the knee injury... :-/

-Bball

CableKC
02-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Harrison got a concussion last season and ended up needing knee surgery...

..of course that had more to do with the Star failing to actually report on the knee injury... :-/

-Bball
Huh? As usual...I am confused. :confused:

Regardless.....I just want to make sure that Tinsley, JONeal or Croshere ( apparently,..key players that we always need to make a run in the playoffs ) are fully healed and rested. None of this "Tinsley returns for 4 games then sits out again cuz he's not fully recovered" cr@p.

Bball
02-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Huh? As usual...I am confused. :confused:

Regardless.....I just want to make sure that Tinsley, JONeal or Croshere ( apparently,..key players that we always need to make a run in the playoffs ) are fully healed and rested. None of this "Tinsley returns for 4 games then sits out again cuz he's not fully recovered" cr@p.

Last season Harrison received a concussion in a game (Grizzlies I believe). It looked pretty bad. We waited patiently several games for his return and it took a while. Then when he finally did return he played sparingly and then disappeared again. We began to wonder about whether the concussion had been more serious than originally feared and lingering problems. ...Or maybe Carlisle was using the injury as a convienent excuse to limit Harrison's minutes that most felt he still needed to be getting.

Then one day, as the Star likes to do, it just dropped in a mention of Harrison suffering a knee injury and would be needing knee surgery. No lead up to it. No discussion about it. ...Just a drop in, ho hum, comment that made it seem like it was old news and that Pacers fans everywhere should already know all about it.

-BBall