PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't we signing any free agents?

scar
02-05-2006, 08:33 PM
I'm actually asking this to you guys, do you know why the Pacers are leaving their already one open roster spot, open? And with Bender retiring, doesn't this leave two roster spots?

If we're battling injuries so much, why the hell aren't we signing someone?

Unclebuck
02-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Tinsley and Cro should be back soon

Los Angeles
02-05-2006, 08:37 PM
My guess? They are trying to get under the cap.

Also, they are trying to get the guys into some semblance of comfort and stability.

Randomly introducing new guys costs money and causes disruptions.

Kegboy
02-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Could very well be holding open spots in case we do a 1 for 2 trade.

Or, more likely, we're waiting for Michael Curry to get back from vacation. :chuckle:

Bball
02-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Tinsley and Cro should be back soon

Tinsley coming back is not going to help anything unless he's going to be put in the 3rd string PG slot where his oft-injured self can't continually mess up whatever continuity that the Pacers can muster.

To the original poster-
What FA's do you think we should pursuse right now?

-Bball

scar
02-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Tinsley coming back is not going to help anything unless he's going to be put in the 3rd string PG slot where his oft-injured self can't continually mess up whatever continuity that the Pacers can muster.

To the original poster-

-Bball

George Lynch (free agent)
Desmond Farmer (our d-league affiliate)

Kstat
02-05-2006, 09:20 PM
1. Desmond Farmer sucks.

2. George Lynch is finished.

tadscout
02-05-2006, 09:45 PM
1. Desmond Farmer sucks.

2. George Lynch is finished.

:amen:

Skaut_Ech
02-05-2006, 10:00 PM
To the original poster-

-Bball

Personally, I perked up when I heard Zendon Hamilton was available...but he got snatched up.

Pacerized
02-05-2006, 10:03 PM
I think we may see something happen, but only if it really helps the team. Picking up a player like Walker that won't play ahead of any of our big men wouldn't make sense. If a player that would play ahead of Pollard, Granger, or Fred becomes available, then we do it. AD, or TT would be a nice pick up if they were waived. I don't know who's on the block that plays at the 1, or 2, maybe Spree if you want him. There just aren't any free agents worth picking up right now.

Anthem
02-05-2006, 10:10 PM
Bender hasn't retired yet.

Barring another injury, I don't know what signing someone does for us, except to give another guy to practice against.

shags
02-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Paul Shirley.

Then have him post his Odd Thoughts after every game on this forum.

microwave_oven
02-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Bender didn't retire?

Anthem
02-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Bender didn't retire?
Not yet. He just announced he was going to.

The league hasn't gotten the paperwork yet.

Bball
02-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Not yet. He just announced he was going to.

The league hasn't gotten the paperwork yet.

He keeps hanging around like psoriasis in the middle of winter...

-BBall

Evan_The_Dude
02-05-2006, 11:45 PM
So basically, Bender announcing his retirement is like Danny Granger saying he's going to retire. We know he will, but not anytime soon...

denyfizle
02-06-2006, 12:40 AM
lemme guess.... coz it's not worth the couple hundred gz since Rick won't bother play em anyway.

able
02-06-2006, 12:55 AM
Bender is not going to "retire". If he retired he would not get paid any more, as it is he will still get paid his salary this season and next.

2005/2006:$7,100,000
2006/2007:$7,810,000

he Pacers will apply for insurance to cover his salary, but there is no guarentee the league will approve that. The P's will probably get a final answer in the middle of this summer.

1: Pacers will get insurance cover in this, nothing the NBA has ot do with that, only the insurance company and their doctors.

2: As I said many a time now, Pacers will or have applied for a medical cap excemption ( and LT which is a part of that) and will most likely get that to, but that won't be definite before the summer (for one the NBA has her own doctors do research on JB).

For confirmation of what I wrote here and before, see Sunday Feb 5 Indystar or Sat 4, not sure there :)

Anthem
02-06-2006, 02:24 AM
He keeps hanging around like psoriasis in the middle of winter...
Hey, he's announced it. It's been the weekend. Give the man a break. Give the man a couple days to put the paperwork in order. Don't get greedy.

Anyway, gopacers, able's right. With a documented medical condition, Bender can retire and keep the money. Even better, it gets picked up by insurance so it shouldn't count against the Pacers' cap.

CableKC
02-06-2006, 02:30 AM
Maybe Bird knows that if we add some players to fill in our gaps that it will simply mean less minutes for Granger or Harrison?

MagicRat
02-06-2006, 08:11 AM
.......like psoriasis in the middle of winter...

Now we know why you're so grumpy during hoops season.......:-p