PDA

View Full Version : Its a shame that Jalen's contract is so ginormous.

Chauncey
02-05-2006, 02:08 PM
or else he would have been a great pick-up for the Pacers...he's doing a phenomenal job today on both ends of the floor and as a distributor and scoring threat.

Roy Munson
02-05-2006, 02:13 PM
or else he would have been a great pick-up for the Pacers...he's doing a phenomenal job today on both ends of the floor and as a distributor and scoring threat.

Who would you want to take minutes away from in favor of giving them to Rose?

Pig Nash
02-05-2006, 02:14 PM
He'll be like this in LB's system because he loves past their prime vets. He really gets the most out of them.

18to88
02-05-2006, 03:28 PM
I don't get why everyone hates Jalen, he is one of the most underrated players in the NBA. He has a huge contract but he's still good. I wouldn't want him as a Pacer with his current contract but if it was smaller I would want him here.

tadscout
02-05-2006, 03:55 PM

Both ends? Is that why Kobe lit him up for 81 points? (not all on him but a good amount...)

Chauncey
02-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Who would you want to take minutes away from in favor of giving them to Rose?

Saras/Tinsley and SJax.

Anthem
02-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Saras/Tinsley and SJax.
Play Jalen at the point? :shudder:

N8R
02-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Jalen is good just not worth anywhere close to the $15.6 Million he is getting paid this season and the close to $17 he is making next season. I like that he is now a Knick though. He is better than AD for sure and now the Knicks can continue to give their bigger young guys more minutes. Plus Jalen can distribute the ball nicely. Money just isnt a factor in New York but he doesnt deserve those kind of numbers.

DisplacedKnick
02-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Jalen had one of those games today that, when he had them as a Pacer always left me wondering, "Why can't he play like that all the time?"

Really helped in moving the ball, played smart IIRC, only jacked up one real quick shot, only two big mistakes that I remember (unfortunately both came in the last 3 minutes).

Just a really good game for him - was extremely effective reversing the ball and wasn't bad on D.

Maybe now that he's in NY he CAN play like that all the time? Probably not, but he's 1-for-1 so far.

Chauncey
02-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Play Jalen at the point? :shudder:

I'd start him alongside Freddy and let Jalen run point, yes. Its a moot point, of course..just thought he had an oustanding game today. I think he'll play really well the rest of the year for the Knicks

Diesel_81
02-05-2006, 10:50 PM
[quote=DisplacedKnick]Jalen had one of those games today that, when he had them as a Pacer always left me wondering, "Why can't he play like that all the time?"

quote]

To be honest I never thought of Jalen Rose as a black hole or a selfish player.I soured on him though towards the end of his pacer career because he changed his game from when we first got him.

I remember when he used to star for us off the bench and I used to love the way he took the ball to the basket and used his 6'8 frame to post up the smaller defenders, also his defense was very good. Then over time he started to fall in love with that jumpshot, stopped slashing to the basket, he stopped posting up and he stopped playing defense.He became very one dimensional.

Kaufman
02-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Isn't he still on the same contract we gave him before trading him?? I could be way off...

brichard
02-05-2006, 11:14 PM
I don't get why everyone hates Jalen, he is one of the most underrated players in the NBA. He has a huge contract but he's still good. I wouldn't want him as a Pacer with his current contract but if it was smaller I would want him here.

Reasons to hate Jalen Rose.

1. He is capable of being a great defender, yet after he signed his contract he became a poor one. The guy who played MJ tough became a matador.

2. The antithesis of clutch. He would be the best player on the planet for 3.5 quarters and then vanish.

3. He has never scored within the framework of the offense. He scores in the same way SJax does. He can go 1 on 5 if he is on, but it makes your offense unpredictable and inconsistent. It is very hard to build a team around a player with that kind of game.

4. Awful point guard. It could have been Zeke, but Jalen did not look good at all in that role.

Jalen is a good baller and he performed well as a Robin. However, he is not and never will be Batman. And right now he is paid like Batman. He also doesn't seem to be a great mentor IMHO. He is a "let it be" kind of guy, not the kind of person to rally the troops. I think the Pacers could use a veteran with leadership ability.

Jalen is exactly the kind of player I would like us to not have. I think it will be interesting how LB uses him in NY, b/c Larry Bird was the first guy to really get Jalen going with the Pacers. Larry Brown did not seem to play him much.

Of course, this is just my opinion... :cool:

beast23
02-06-2006, 09:48 AM
I figure we have hashed, re-hashed, partially hashed and fully hashed the topic of Jalen Rose.

Jalen wouldn't fit and regardless of whatever brain-wahsing some have undergone, Jalen DOES NOT play both ends of the floor... in fact REFUSES to play both ends of the floor.

Please see any of the prior zillion threads regarding Jalen for a more detailed discussion of his shortcomings.

wjs
02-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Jalen's contract is indeed the big contract he signed with Indiana back in, I think, 2001.

When we traded Jalen for Brad and Ron Ron, we also traded that contract away. It was a slick, and underappreciated, move by Donnie. Artest wound up screwing up three consecutive seasons (beginning with his antics in the '04 Playoffs), but dumping Jalen's contract was huge. What a mess we'd be if we still owned it. (Probably no JO for one thing.)

And, no, Jalen would not be a good addition to our team now, whatever the price.

Doug
02-06-2006, 11:10 AM
If you could combine Jalen and McKey, you'd have a hall-of-famer. They are really the same player, just on opposite sides of the ball. Jalen could be a really good defender - if he wanted to. McKey could have been an offensive force - if he wanted to. They both have/had the ability to be complete basketball players, but just choose not to.

Jon Theodore
02-06-2006, 11:36 AM
I always liked Jalen when he was here, but like some have pointed out when he became a jump shooter....well lets just say that was his downfall.