PDA

View Full Version : I swear Jackson is O'neal's mini-me...

Mr. Pink
02-05-2006, 01:13 PM
I was soo happy for Jackson to tough it out and come back to play last night, BUT why did he hog the ball?!? It seemed like they ran the exact same play they would for JO but it would be for Jackson.

He'd catch it on the side, and do this little fake move with his right foot. I counted once 5 TIMES he did it! THE PISTON PLAYER DIDN'T EVEN MOVE!

If you are getting an Iso situation, come up with some better moves.

Usually Jackson would be forced to shoot a fade-away or with a hand in his face. Horrible shots for someone just coming off a semi-serious injury.

He did get 20 points, but did anyone else feel like it was how JO usually gets his points?

PCC87
02-05-2006, 01:16 PM
I really don't care how he gets the points. Its better than his usual self,throwing the ball away.He impressed me with his performance coming back from the injury...

Mr. Pink
02-05-2006, 01:18 PM
He still had the most turnovers of the team last night, with 2. :)

PCC87
02-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Well yeah that fact is a give in...

Roaming Gnome
02-05-2006, 01:23 PM
:soundoff::soundoff::soundoff::soundoff::soundoff: :soundoff::soundoff::soundoff::soundoff::soundoff: :soundoff::soundoff::soundoff::soundoff::soundoff: :soundoff::soundoff::soundoff::soundoff::soundoff: :soundoff::soundoff::soundoff::soundoff:

As many have pointed out....Maybe the iso is what coach wants!!! I'm so sick and damn tired of a lot of you rippin' on the players for the style that is played. The bottom line is Rick has a tool to get what HE wants on the floor....That tool is the bench! Tinsley, Jack, and even J.O. all succomb to the all mighty power of PINE TIME! So stop feeding me this line of bull about the players running the show...especially here when the coach is reinforced by his former teammate and friend, Larry Bird.

:rant:

Slick Pinkham
02-05-2006, 01:23 PM
I thought it was great he came back, and that he played with a lot more control than normal. Absent were the typically frequent contested 3-pointers with 14 seconds left on the clock.

Mr. Pink
02-05-2006, 01:26 PM
:soundoff::soundoff::soundoff::soundoff::soundoff: :soundoff::soundoff::soundoff::soundoff::soundoff: :soundoff::soundoff::soundoff::soundoff::soundoff: :soundoff::soundoff::soundoff::soundoff::soundoff: :soundoff::soundoff::soundoff::soundoff:

As many have pointed out....Maybe the iso is what coach wants!!! I'm so sick and damn tired of a lot of you rippin' on the players for the style that is played. The bottom line is Rick has a tool to get what HE wants on the floor....That tool is the bench! J.O., Jack, and even Tinsley all succomb to the all mighty power of PINE TIME! So stop feeding me this line of bull about the players running the show...especially here when the coach is reinforced by his former teammate and friend, Larry Bird. :rant:

I'm not *****ing about Rick wanting the ISO. I am complaining about how the players suck at it. Take your midol and a beer or two...and watch the Super Bowl.

Do we have a true one-on-one player? Jackson can do it...SOMETIMES. Same with JO. I liked it when Fred had a one-on-one with someone, because he used his quickness to his advantage. He get his *** to the rim.

PCC87
02-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Yeah I would rather Freddie in an one-on-one play that Stephen...

Roaming Gnome
02-05-2006, 01:33 PM
I'm not *****ing about Rick wanting the ISO. I am complaining about how the players suck at it. Take your midol and a beer or two...and watch the Super Bowl.

Do we have a true one-on-one player? Jackson can do it...SOMETIMES. Same with JO. I liked it when Fred had a one-on-one with someone, because he used his quickness to his advantage. He get his *** to the rim.

Dude...
I'm sorry that it seems like I came unglued at you, but the dump J.O. campaign is taking it's toll on me. It just seems like Coach Carlisle always gets a pass when it comes to the style that he finds acceptable, but the fans can't stand. So we rag on players. Maybe it's time to see how JO, Tinsley and Jack respond to being plugged into the new offense instead of the lip service we got last year in the play-offs from coach.

As for your suggestion about have a beer and watch the super bowl...sounds like a great idea...But, I will have to leave the Midol alone!

able
02-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Gnome, it is Rick and nothing else.

JO and Jax do not choose to stand there and make some move.
The order is simple: ball to JO (Jax) they are to attract the double team and pass out, if the double team does not come then they are to go 1 on 1. For this the other players are to remain out on the permiter in order to recevie the ball or attract attention from the defense.

With JO the double team comes, with Jax rarely. If the doubleteam does not come on JO it is usually a simple score, Jax' driving is less, mainly because he does not protect the ball that well and keeps it on his hip, where it is easy slapped away from him.
JO is very quick and could easily fit in this offense, and if he was allowed to stay around for rebounds like they all were last night you would see his numbers skyrocket.

pizza guy
02-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Obviously, the plays are called by Rick, and sometimes they're bad plays. But, sometimes they're good plays. As a matter of fact, it's a pretty effecient play when done right. The biggest problem is that JO sometimes settles for a fade-away, instead of a hard drive; or Jax takes a bad three instead of passing to an open player. Maybe Carlisle has them afraid to pass out of it, or maybe they're just determined (read: stubborn). I'm not 100% on this one. All I know is that it's fairly boring to watch, and for four other players on the court, it can't be fun to play. I don't mind those plays mixed in with good ball movement and teamwork, they just have to be done right. Tim Duncan is a wonderful example of how to do it: he can make the right decision of whether to drive, take an open shot, or pass to an open teammate. As of now, JO and Jax don't have those qualities, or at least as good as Duncan in that regard.

I guess, instead of talking in circles, I'll give you a synopsis. Those plays are fine, occasionally, as long as the players in the one-on-one know what to do with the defense that is applied when we run those plays.

Bball
02-05-2006, 04:09 PM
At least Sjax took it to the rim on many of those moves last night.

-BBall

Anthem
02-05-2006, 06:06 PM
At least Sjax took it to the rim on many of those moves last night.

-BBall
Agreed. Jack has a decent first step and it's a LONG one... he can usually drive when he wants to. I wish he'd do it more.

He defends Rip well, too.

Mr. Pink
02-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Agreed. Jack has a decent first step and it's a LONG one... he can usually drive when he wants to. I wish he'd do it more.

He defends Rip well, too.

Jackson should take it to the rim everytime when he isn't shooting that well. Like last night. He did take it to the rim, but he did maybe like what...4 or 5 times. Maybe I am overlooking it, but it seemed more times than not, S-Jax shot the ball.

pizza guy
02-06-2006, 12:47 AM
If he would, and not turn the ball over on his way, I wouldn't have a big problem with him. Just like if JO took the ball to the hoop, I wouldn't have a problem with iso plays. It's the ones that drain the clock, cause everyone to stand around and wait, then force the iso'ed player into a bad shot. That bothers me more than just isolation - bad execution of said isolation is the problem.

D-BONE
02-06-2006, 07:31 AM
A certain amount of Iso is par for the course in the NBA game and, I agree, PG, players must recognize when to give up the rock even though the play was originally called for them. However, I really think the Pacers are a team in flux as far as there style of play. Lots have opined on how the Pacers seem to increase the ball/player movement approach without JO and Tinsley. I would love to see that continue regardless of personnel. JT and JO could both thrive in that environment if they both commit to it, as well as Rick I assume, because it emphasizes a team-oriented attack and this group plays better as a collective getting everybody involved.

Jon Theodore
02-08-2006, 12:11 AM
The title of this thread is so true. One game I went to this year where i was not sitting in the lower section. Many times I thought Jack was actually Jermaine.