PDA

View Full Version : reinstalling my hard drive

Vicious Tyrant
02-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Some compu-dude from IT mentioned its a good idea to copy your hard drive onto CDs and erase the whole thing and reinstall it periodically.

Anyone know if this is good advice, and if so any tips on doing it?

McClintic Sphere
02-05-2006, 10:30 AM
I have 3 drive partitions on my comp. I try to keep C: as clean as possible by installing almost all other progs besides Windows on the other partitions. That way when I do a drive wipe of C after some time, all my necessary programs and backup are on the other drives. I know there are plenty of utilities out there for disk imaging if you want to image your drive before you wipe. A great place to look for those type of apps or anything PC related is www.majorgeeks.com

If you haven't wiped your drive for a long time, you will notice a significant uptick in responsiveness after a wipe and reinstall. Defragging the drive periodically will only do so much to keep files from getting scattered all over your drive.

Vicious Tyrant
02-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Uhhhhh....

partitions?

btowncolt
02-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Uhhhhh....

partitions?

Yeah, it's sorta like a basketball, but different.

Vicious Tyrant
02-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Can we back up here? I'm looking for something along the lines of step by step instructions.

Thanks, though, Btown...that was really helpful. Don't you have some fetish foot photos to take?

heywoode
02-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Yeah, it's sorta like a basketball, but different.

Don't know if it is just REALLY late for a work night for me, or if this post was that good, but I'm done reading posts for the night, because I don't foresee topping this one anytime soon.

btowncolt
02-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Someone help him.

Bball
02-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Can we back up here? I'm looking for something along the lines of step by step instructions.

Thanks, though, Btown...that was really helpful. Don't you have some fetish foot photos to take?

Unless you are having some type of problem, I wouldn't mess it with it if I was you.

It doesn't sound like you are someone who relishes resetting everything, finding drivers, etc..

-Bball

Vicious Tyrant
02-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Unless you are having some type of problem, I wouldn't mess it with it if I was you.

It doesn't sound like you are someone who relishes resetting everything, finding drivers, etc..

-Bball
word

I'll find an easier hobby, thanks. Something that doesn't require partitions.

McClintic Sphere
02-08-2006, 10:18 AM
VT, If you think of you hard drive(s) as a giant closet, then just think of partitions as movable separators that you could place wherever within your closet to make storage spaces of differing sizes. The benefit of keeping a partition just for Windows is that wiping it periodically gets rid of a lot of crap that slows your computer down as well as reallocating files into more closely related spaces. When your hard drive looks for files, if they are scattered around the drive it takes it longer to find them. Windows XP installation is fairly easy as it allows you to choose the size of your partitions and if you have more that one drive or partition, you can leave that alone and just install the OS and not mess with your other proggy's/files if you don't want. I'm only intermediate in my computer knowledge so I'm sure you could figure this out easily, being a Taylor grad and all. I bet MajorGeeks.com has a real straightforward tutorial on how to do it. If not, try Anandtech.com.

Vicious Tyrant
02-08-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm only intermediate in my computer knowledge so I'm sure you could figure this out easily, being a Taylor grad and all.
Smile when you say that, Wheaton man.

McClintic Sphere
02-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Smile when you say that, Wheaton man.

Oh, I'm gritting my teeth in bitter resentment just typing this. I guess I shouldn't be presumptuous. You did graduate, right?

Vicious Tyrant
02-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Hey now, I'm WAAAY more bitter than you.

And, yeah, I did happen to graduate, although you'd never guess it from this thread....:disappoin