PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Johnson is becoming the best

hoopsforlife
02-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Point guard on the (Team per Uncle Buck) :) I really didn't like AJ all that much this season but last nights Pistons game really showed what he can do. Passes on the money to Harrison for dunks and bringing the ball up court safely are just some of the talents he has shown lately. The man is good...

He is just dominating now. GO AJ :)

Unclebuck
02-05-2006, 10:08 AM
I thought maybe you were going to say that AJ is becoming the best point guard on the team. That would have been worth discussing.

hoopsforlife
02-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Point guard in the League. I really didn't like AJ all that much this season but last nights Pistons game really showed what he can do. Passes on the money to Harrison for dunks and bringing the ball up court safely are just some of the talents he has shown lately. The man is good...

He is just dominating now. GO AJ :)

OK he may not be the best in the league but his game isn't all that bad anymore. I truly believe the difference in this team now and two weeks ago is the addition of Peja. Teams have to respect the outside shot even more now and that leaves the inside open for better passing down low. AJ is gettin the ball inside better than ever now but he's not the only one. Saras is getting good looks inside (passes) and drives to the basket now. Even Jackson has been driving to the hole better. Its not just a shoot from 30 feet for him anymore. The rebounding improved alot when Foster and Scot returned so that results in more shots on passes back out to Granger and Peja. Better play coincides with Grangers time on the floor. David is becoming a force down low.

For me, This team is fun to watch again. I really like the effort and ball movement and the defense hasn't dropped as much as I thought it would post Rtest.

Tinsley's one on one game with JO as the only outlet was boring as heck and I'm so happy to see this style of ball being played now. GO PACERS :)

Ragnar
02-05-2006, 12:04 PM
As the resident AJ critic I guess I will chime in.

He is not the best on the team. He is the best HEALTHY pg on the team. I relly thought Sarunas would make AJ a non entity on this team.

I will give AJ credit where credit is due. He has elevated his game to the point that as of last night I consider him a legitimate pg.

I wish Tinsley could stay healthy because his game is FAR FAR superior to AJ but clearly he cant. At this point I am ready to see AJ keep the backup pg position for Indiana for the rest of his career. We still need a better pg starting because in a playoff game the Pistons will do what they did not do last night and that will exploit AJ's weakness.

I would be ready to trade Sarunas with Pollard for a legit pass first pg, the problem is that I want to keep Pollard now. Maybe its fools gold, maybe he wont stay healthy and wont be arround for the playoffs but damn he is playing good right now.

Ragnar
02-05-2006, 12:07 PM
For me, This team is fun to watch again. I really like the effort and ball movement and the defense hasn't dropped as much as I thought it would post Rtest.

Tinsley's one on one game with JO as the only outlet was boring as heck and I'm so happy to see this style of ball being played now. GO PACERS :)

I hope you can see that its the style of play that Rick was making them play that was the problem and not Tinsley or J.O.

Both Tinsley and J.O. are well suited to play the up tempo style that we are playing right now. Its Rick who would not allow it.

If Rick will keep playing them this way I am ready for Rick to stay as the Pacers coach. Up untill a couple of days ago I was contimplating not watching the Pacers any more because I could not stand Ricks coaching. But if he keeps this up I will be very happy.

hoopsforlife
02-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally I had posted AJ as being the best PG in the league. I was kidding. I do like him now (big upgrade in my thinking) as opposed to my original position about him. Tinsley is a better point for sure but I can't tolerate his attitude on the court. I would like to trade him and start Saras. If Sarunas had as much time as AJ has had to develop this year, he would be the much better PG. Carlisle likes to pull him out after one miscue. He will leave AJ in to play past his messups. Saras can't get any rhythm going although he is deveoping anyway. AJ has improved greatly this year and is becoming a servicable guard.

I feel if JO lost some weight and became a complementary player and not the number one, he would fit nicely on this team. I believe he can run with the best of them when he is healthy and would enjoy doing so.

Before "our test" ask for a trade he said what most team mates were thinking, that the offense was boring. Now hes gone and Carlisle opened it up. Go figure.

Thats why AJ and Harrison and all are doing better. Its fun for them now.

Ragnar
02-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Tinsley is a better point for sure but I can't tolerate his attitude on the court. I would like to trade him and start Saras. If Sarunas had as much time as AJ has had to develop this year, he would be the much better PG. Carlisle likes to pull him out after one miscue. He will leave AJ in to play past his messups. Saras can't get any rhythm going although he is deveoping anyway.

Yes Rick treats Sarunas like crap. If he makes any mistake he is out of the game and AJ is back in. Yet if AJ is in and makes horrid pass after horrid pass leasing to fast breaks for the other team he gets to keep playing.

The thing that amazes me is that you cant see that he has treated Tinsley the exact same way for the last three years. The only reason Jamaal got back on the court after Rick benched him for being a real pg was when Rick got kicked out of a game. We were playing .500 ball at the time and Tinsley could not get on the floor!!!!

If Tinsley has an attitude its because he has been treated like **** by Rick for the last thee years. He had not been allowed to play the way he is most suited and if he makes a mistake he will get yanked for AJ.

Yet AJ will get to play long enough to get us into a 10 or even 15 point hole before he gets taken out of the game.

Maybe your memory is fuzzy but even after the NJ game where Tinsley single handedly got us back in the game Rick made him come off the bench, we went down by big numbers early with AJ in at the point. Then finaly Tins comes in and suprise suprise we go on a huge run and win the game.

The next game Tinsley gets to start and as usual AJ puts us into a deep deep hole while he is in, Tinsley comes back in gets us the lead and is yanked so that AJ can finish the game. There was only a couple of possetions left in the game, we had the lead and then we lost. That is when I started hating Rick Carlisle.

After that game clearly TPTB forced him to start and finish with Jamaal and he had to leave him in at the ends of games. We went on to a .786% for the rest of the season!

rabid
02-05-2006, 02:43 PM
After that game clearly TPTB forced him to start and finish with Jamaal and he had to leave him in at the ends of games. We went on to a .786% for the rest of the season!

That was over two years ago.

Things have changed - AJ's overall game has improved since then, probably due to all the playing time and the desperation of beingthrown into the fire.

And Tinsley keeps getting hurt.

And we no longer have Ron, Reggie, or Al.

pizza guy
02-05-2006, 02:58 PM
It's no longer Rick's fault that Tinsley can't get a rythym or can't get playing time. I agree that Carlisle does favor AJ at the end of some games however. Tinsley's biggest problem is his inability to stay healthy. He's the best PG we have that never plays. I wish he would play, and he would mature, but neither is going to happen. He's still got the Rutgers mindset of whenever his man scores, he's got to score, and that bugs the stuffing outta me. If he ever got over that, he'd then have to deal with the injuries that he's always facing. It's too bad, because he can be a wonderful PG, but I want him gone for a reliable PG.

AJ is improving, but he's certainly not what I want as a starting PG. Sarunas is also improving, and if we go to a ball-movement offense, he could really thrive. You can tell that the young guns enjoy playing with him because there's a lot of motion and good passes that lead to easy shots. To AJ's credit, he showed the ability to do that in the Pistons' game as well. The only problem is that Sarunas is probably not yet ready to start every night because he's still adjusting and still learning, so we're stuck with AJ because Tinsley is out with injury.

Lithfan
02-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Yes Rick treats Sarunas like crap. If he makes any mistake he is out of the game and AJ is back in. Yet if AJ is in and makes horrid pass after horrid pass leasing to fast breaks for the other team he gets to keep playing.

The thing that amazes me is that you cant see that he has treated Tinsley the exact same way for the last three years. The only reason Jamaal got back on the court after Rick benched him for being a real pg was when Rick got kicked out of a game. We were playing .500 ball at the time and Tinsley could not get on the floor!!!!

If Tinsley has an attitude its because he has been treated like **** by Rick for the last thee years. He had not been allowed to play the way he is most suited and if he makes a mistake he will get yanked for AJ.

TPTB forced him to start and finish with Jamaal and he had to leave him in at the ends of games. We went on to a .786% for the rest of the season!

Wow, that clarifies something for me. Tell me one more thing:
Can AJ be definied as more obidient than Saras or Tins?

Ragnar
02-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Wow, that clarifies something for me. Tell me one more thing:
Can AJ be definied as more obidient than Saras or Tins?

Yes you wont see AJ ignoring the coach like Tinsley and Sarunas have done from time to time.

Strany
02-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Here's my thing about AJ. He played great last night and if he could go out night in and night out and give us that, I think Rick would give him the key's no questions asked. But AJ could just as easily go out Wed. against Portland and have 2 pts 2 assists and 4 TO's. It's not that AJ can't do it, it is that he can't not do it enough. PG needs to be our most consistant position and it's our least.

Bball
02-05-2006, 03:33 PM
AJ looks better because of the way the offense is running without JO. This is a replay of last year when JO went down and suddenly AJ started "looking like a real PG".

-Bball

Pacesetter
02-05-2006, 03:40 PM
AJ shot 25% last night on 3 of 12 shooting, and 8 assists in 33+ minutes. Sarunas shot 66% on 2 of 3 shooting, and had 4 assists in 14+ minutes. AJ had 4 rebs, 3 offensive. Sarunas had none. At the end of the game, both players were key to the team winning and that's all that matters, imo.

Lithfan
02-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Yes you wont see AJ ignoring the coach like Tinsley and Sarunas have done from time to time.

So my guess is that Rick just cant bear dominant PG.
Thats why AJ is getting all that PT.
The question is if its good for Pacers?