PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting substitution pattern by Rick tonight

Unclebuck
02-04-2006, 11:25 PM
If you were like me, you were thinking who is going to play the last 5 minutes of the game tonight. An interesting situation developed. After a poor first half, Fred was playing great late in the 3rd and throughout the 4th, so you figured he wouldn't come out. But that means either Jax or Peja would have to sit. To be honest I expected Rick to sit Fred, but I'm glad he didn't. Rick sat Peja and played Fred and Jax at the 2 and the 3. Interesting. But I think that was the correct decision, but also a tough decision.

But even more interesting to me was what Rick did at the big positions. Jeff and Scot came back into the game at the 9 minute mark and I expected them to finish out the game, but Rick brought Granger and Harrison back in for the final 3 or 4 minutes. Reason had to be we needed a little more offense, and it worked great and also the defense and rebounding did not suffer.

Rick took a risk and he deserves a lot of credit

The biggest basket of the night was Granger's 15 foot wing jumper off a great offensive set with about 3 minutes left in the game. Granger also hit a few huge shots late in the third, it has gotten to the point with him that if he's open I want him to shoot without hesitation or a moments thought. In fact the best play tonight was either pick and rolls involving Granger or Harrison. Pistons had trouble defending it. Oh I also loved a strong drive to the hoop by Granger in the third quarter. It was great to see Granger excel against some real men on the inside.

Let's be honest this season has been horrible and very depressing for me, just terrible. But tonight was just tons of fun tonight. There were quite a few Pistons fans there tonight scattered throughout the Fieldhouse and to be able to shut them up. That is priceless, because buy were the cocky up until late third quarter. Tonight is why I'm a Pacers fan. Being at the game in person with a great crowd and the Pacers playing extremely hard, that is what it's all about for me.

I will miss Scot Pollard after this season. I would be in favor of signing Scot to the vets minimum for next season. I have coinfidence when Scot is on the court, he does so many things well in the team defense department. He does so many little things, that help a team. I will miss him. The Pacers need more players like him, not fewer

Two reasons why the Pacers rebounded so well tonight. They played very hard, but the other reason, I'm just going to say it and then move on, J.O was not in the lineup. Scot, Jeff, DH, and DG all block out and that makes a huge difference.

Let me move on to Jeff Foster. His effort tonight was even at a higher level than usual tonight, he was so active and I thought more than physically held his own against the Pistons frontline.

Jax kept the Pacers in the game during the first half, yes he does some things we don't like but when he gets it going he is tough to stop. Jax was able to get decent shots against Rip. Peja could not do anything against Tay, and AJ was able to score on Carlos, but not against Billups.

Many of us get frustrated with Jax, but he is tough, and he deserves a lot of credit for playing tonight.

Fred Jones after a bad first half was once again huge in the last 15 minutes of the game. He created most of the offense in the last quarter and 3 minutes.

Is it me or did AJ look like a point guard tonight. I like AJ a lot always have always will, I have confidence in him. I'll never understand why some of you actually hate him, I think it's unfair and unfounded.

I'm wearing down here, so let me just sum it up by saying, I don't know what this win means, the Pistons were a little lackluster tonight, but if the Pacers can play like this, with this much aggression, this season can still turn into a good season. I'm starting to like this team again

sweabs
02-04-2006, 11:29 PM
But even more interesting to me was what Rick did at the big positions. Jeff and Scot came back into the game at the 9 minute mark and I expected them to finish out the game, but Rick brought Granger and Harrison back in for the final 3 or 4 minutes. Reason had to be we needed a little more offense, and it worked great and also the defense and rebounding did not suffer.

Rick took a risk and he deserves a lot of credit.

Yep. That stood out to me as well.

I was wondering what he would do with our big men closing in the end of the game, and Rick made the best call.

We didn't play to "not lose" tonight. By that, I mean putting in Foster and Pollard and hoping we can shut them down on defense to prevent any more baskets from their end and holding onto the lead.

Notice how tired their starters were? And get them tired, and force them to play the bench...that's always helpful.

When he inserted DH and Danny, he was playing to win. We needed that offense to just keep attacking, and making them work on both ends of the court.

pizza guy
02-04-2006, 11:33 PM
I liked Rick's substitution late in the fourth. He sat some of the starters and brought in Hulk, Granger, Freddie, and I think AJ and SJax. I thought it was rather surprising that he put the young guns back in that late in the game, but I loved it. It means that he realized who had gotten the lead and who had caused Detriot problems, and made the substitution without his egg-timer.

On to the rest of your points...everyone looked great tonight. AJ even looked good, and for me to say that means something was out of the ordinary. Granger, Hulk, and Freddie put the team on their backs in the second half and played wonderfully well. SJax only had a couple "black hole" plays tonight, and I was mildly impressed by his game. Foster and Pollard both played their parts perfectly - with hustle, toughness and relentlessness. In particular, when Pollard ripped the ball from Delfino's hands and they called a jump-ball; that was marvelous, and you could tell the crowd loved it and so did the players on the bench who were all standing waving towels and pumping fists.

Great stuff tonight, and hopefully it restores some confidence not only among the fans, but the players as well. I was very pleased with the game tonight, and if the Pacers play like that every night, they'll win a lot of games.

Anthem
02-04-2006, 11:38 PM
Nice to play for the win for a change.

Ralph Snart
02-04-2006, 11:38 PM
Let's be honest this season has been horrible and very depressing for me, just terrible. But tonight was just tons of fun tonight. There were quite a few Pistons fans there tonight scattered throughout the Fieldhouse and to be able to shut them up. That is priceless, because buy were the cocky up until late third quarter. Tonight is why I'm a Pacers fan. Being at the game in person with a great crowd and the Pacers playing extremely hard, that is what it's all about for me.

There was a whole row of Detroit fans a ways behind me (they started a "let's go Pistons!" chant before the starting line up calls). They talked trash the entire first quarter, and half way through the second.

They hung through the third quarter, till our run really took the **** out of them. To send those guys home with a loss made the win that much better. The Fieldhouse was packed tonight.

Unclebuck
02-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Until I arrived at the game I just expected it to be like any other game, but once I got there I could immediately tell it was the Pistons and the fans were going to treat it like a very big game. The crowd was great tonight.

Ragnar
02-05-2006, 01:06 AM
I said in another thread that AJ looked like an honest to God PG tonight.

I am perfectly willing to accept the idea that AJ has not been a crappy player but that He played the way Rick wanted and that made him look like crap. Now that Rick is letting them play he actaully looked like a pg I could like.

I would go so far as to say tonight was AJ's best game of his career. I know he has scored more in the past but tonight he did something that up untill now I did not think he was capable of. He ran the offense.

CableKC
02-05-2006, 01:19 AM
What seemed to make the difference was that we are getting rebounding at the SG/SF position.

Although Pollard, Foster and Harrison pulled in their fair share of Rebounds....we got 6/7/8 rebounds from Peja/SJax/Granger.

I think that Peja maybe rebounding slightly more then he usually does....but an additional SF that can pull some rebounds down makes a huge difference.

I don't care if the Pistons looked tired out there...or weren't taking the game seriously.....but this was not only a victory...it was a huge boost in confidence to the Pacers and their fans.

Bball
02-05-2006, 01:44 AM
When we're not playing ISO ball we have people in position to make rebounds... including the shooter (when JO shoots a fadeaway, rarely can he be expected to get his own rebound).

We had players playing their natural positions as well and that certainly helps. Especially when they are players that are willing to 'hustle and muscle' and even block out.

And with all this rebounding I didn't see our transition defense hurt at all. Maybe it is the fact that when YOU get the ball the other team CANNOT fastbreak at all? ;)

-Bball

Pig Nash
02-05-2006, 01:46 AM
I am perfectly willing to accept the idea that AJ has not been a crappy player...

:-o :jawdrop:

denyfizle
02-05-2006, 04:35 AM
I love Ricks subbing tonight

Los Angeles
02-05-2006, 12:51 PM
OK, I'll admit it. When he put in our "defensive" team, I started to have nightmares of the Bucks game.

Why the Pistons didn't foul us when they were close and short on time will puzzle me for a long time.