PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to hear, "They were tired."

Hicks
02-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Tired is no excuse for a defending champ, just off ANOTHER Finals run, currently on pace for about 68 wins team that is the most hard-working team in the league.

And it sure as hell doesn't diminish the effort of our team.

:boomer:

Hicks
02-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Another thing. I'm glad we didn't act like we'd just won the title after the buzzer sounded. We were proud, we were happy, but we weren't dancing in the streets, there were no fireworks or streamers. We were just proud that we'd played hard and got the W. Good for them.

Kstat
02-04-2006, 10:26 PM
I disagree we're the most hard-working team in the league. We only are when we chose to be, which means we aren't by default.

We've been out-worked in most of our games this year, including our wins.

I will say fatigue wasn't a factor. This team didnt break a sweat last night in philly.

FreshPrince22
02-04-2006, 10:26 PM
The Pacers took full advantage of the situation. Great win for you guys. They hustled themselves to a win.

Moses
02-04-2006, 10:28 PM
I disagree we're the most hard-working team in the league. We only are when we chose to be, which means we aren't by default.

We've been out-worked in most of our games this year, including our wins.

I will say fatigue wasn't a factor. THis team didnt breaka sweat last night in philly.
To the Pistons credit, they are anonymously known for playing terrible in back to backs. You even pointed this out yourself a month ago..But nonetheless, getting outrebouned by more then 10 is just a flat out disgrace to the defending champions.

The Pacers played with so much energy tonight that they could have beaten any team in the NBA easily.

Ragnar
02-04-2006, 10:28 PM
I love it when we rebound!! Please give us more of that Rick

Also AJ played like an honest to God point guard tonight.

shags
02-04-2006, 10:29 PM
The Pacers took full advantage of the situation. Great win for you guys. They hustled themselves to a win.

Bingo. If anyone thinks there's no such thing as a "scheduling loss", they're delusional. EVERY NBA team benefits from them, so they even themselves out throughout the year.

Lord Helmet
Tired is no excuse for a defending champ, just off ANOTHER Finals run, currently on pace for about 68 wins team that is the most hard-working team in the league.

Thank you, I've heard that too much in the game thread. Makes me sick.

NorCal_Pacerfan
I agree. I don't want to hear one damn excuse - not one.

After all that we've been through this season with Artest and injuries - coming off of a 6 game slide (prior to LA). We earned this one.

Shamboubou
02-04-2006, 10:30 PM

Your exactly right, we beat them in every aspect of the game tonight. What a great performance by our guys. Maybe Peja meant a lot more to our team that we all thought. We have dominated our past 2 games, hopefully this is just a taste of what is to come.

Go Pacers!!!!

SoupIsGood
02-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Bingo. If anyone thinks there's no such thing as a "scheduling loss", they're delusional. EVERY NBA team benefits from them, so they even themselves out throughout the year.

:lmao:

A team as great as the Pistons learned to play tired a long time ago.

Besides, I don't want to hear "we were tired" when we are rolling out scrub after scrub because of our injury situation.

Hicks
02-04-2006, 10:32 PM

You're acting like a poor loser tonight, shags.

Moses
02-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Our injury situation puts us at a permanent handicap. I'll take any damn advantage I can because every team we've played this year barring the first 7-10 games took full damn advantage of our injury depleted and chemistry deficient team.

Kstat

Agreed.

They outplayed us, Shags. Enough with the excuses.

piksi
Only thing I am not sure about is the pistons being a defending champion

Lord Helmet
02-04-2006, 10:35 PM
:rolleyes: :unimpress

rel
02-04-2006, 10:35 PM
i think the fact that we didnt have jermaine and tinsley cancels out that pistons were "tired", if they actually were.

the pacers were the more dominant team...no questions

owl
02-04-2006, 10:39 PM
So Detroit was tired. Pacers are missing two starters. Now what do you
attribute the loss to?

Bottom line is it is one game. Nice to see two games in a row with Pacers
playing like a team.

Harrison is learning how to play in the post at least offensively.
The guards are figuring out how to loft the ball to him.

owl

shags
02-04-2006, 10:39 PM

I'll say this. This game was HUGE for the Pacers, and could serve as a springboard for the Pacers to get homecourt advantage for a round. (Btw, anyone who thought the Pacers weren't going to make the playoffs was delusional too.) You guys should be thrilled.

I'm just looking at it from a Pistons fans perspective. I knew going in that this was the 4th game in 5 nights, and I know the winning percentage of teams in that situation is very low. So this loss, from my perspective, doesn't bother me at all, and doesn't change my thinking of things in the big picture.

Now, if the Pacers win in Detroit on the 23rd, THAT will be impressive.

And the Pacers deserved to win tonight. Pistons got outplayed, no question. Pacers were the better team tonight.

Kstat
02-04-2006, 10:40 PM
So Detroit was tired. Pacers are missing two starters. Now what do you
attribute the loss to?

Indiana being a better team.

shags
02-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Indiana being a better team.

Tonight, or for the rest of the season?

Kstat
02-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Tonight, or for the rest of the season?

Tonight.

The playoffs is what decides the better team. You know that.

But they were easily the better team tonight. It wasn't even close.

They've earned short-term bragging rights until the next game.

Lord Helmet
02-04-2006, 10:43 PM
I'll say this. This game was HUGE for the Pacers, and could serve as a springboard for the Pacers to get homecourt advantage for a round. (Btw, anyone who thought the Pacers weren't going to make the playoffs was delusional too.) You guys should be thrilled.

I'm just looking at it from a Pistons fans perspective. I knew going in that this was the 4th game in 5 nights, and I know the winning percentage of teams in that situation is very low. So this loss, from my perspective, doesn't bother me at all, and doesn't change my thinking of things in the big picture.

Now, if the Pacers win in Detroit on the 23rd, THAT will be impressive.

And the Pacers deserved to win tonight. Pistons got outplayed, no question. Pacers were the better team tonight.
So you really don't think tonight's win for the Pacers was really that impressive?

I think it's silly to think it wasn't, we're without 2 of our BEST players and we're playing the BEST team in the NBA.

owl
02-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Pacers did that last year. Even if they win then it still is not the playoffs.
When the Pacers beat the Pistons in a playoff series then I will
call them better than the Pistons and probably a little excited.
The east is not won just yet.

owl

Lord Helmet
02-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Pacers did that last year. Even if they win then it still is not the playoffs.
When the Pacers beat the Pistons in a playoff series then I will
call them better than the Pistons and probably a little excited.
The east is not won just yet.

owl
You're right. We did go into Detroit last year in March and beat them. And, I'm pretty sure the Pistons weren't too "tired".

I agree about the Playoffs is what decides it all, also.

People have to see this W from a Pacers fans perspective, also. We are depleted once again, because of injuries and have recently lost 6 in a row. Then we get on here and see Pistons fans with what seems making our W to not be anything great and we get a little upset.

JMO and I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with anyone.

shags
02-04-2006, 10:48 PM
So you really don't think tonight's win for the Pacers was really that impressive?

I think it's silly to think it wasn't, we're without 2 of our BEST players and we're playing the BEST team in the NBA.

I think it was a huge win for the Pacers, and can be the springboard to a nice winning streak, or at least a nice record over a stretch of games (like 7-3 or 8-2). It will give the Pacers a ton of confidence.

But I thought before the game that Miami was the only team in the East that could possibly give the Pistons any trouble in a playoff series, and tonight's outcome doesn't change that, at least in my mind. If you win on the 23rd, then I'll officially consider the Pacers a threat.

For example, if Utah was an Eastern Conference team, I'd be hoping like heck that the Pistons could somehow avoid them. Maybe the Pacers are a bad matchup. I need another game under different circumstances to fully evaluate that.

317Kim
02-04-2006, 10:48 PM
We played hard and deserved to win. Shots weren't falling but it seemed like the boards were! We hustled played scrappy and it definetly payed off :)

sc
02-04-2006, 10:49 PM
You're wrong they were tired.

Tired from watching another team outwork and outhustle them while they stood around like superstars.

sweabs
02-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Agreed. It was getting quite tiresome on the Pistons broadcast. In fact, Ely interviewed Freddie after the game mentioning how the Pistons would be tired, and I liked Freddie's response...something along the lines of (paraphrasing) "I don't really think that mattered much. They've played back to backs and tough schedules before and still beat teams" which was a great point.

Man, this felt good.

Kstat
02-04-2006, 10:50 PM
You're wrong they were tired.

Tired from watching another team outwork and outhustle them while they stood around like superstars.

I couldn't have put it any better myself.

They weren't tired, they just played like a team that didn't take their opponent seriously from the opening tip. They got what they deserved.

BlueNGold
02-04-2006, 10:55 PM
I think the Pistons got their first look at their future against the Pacers. Harrison and Granger are going to BEASTS!

Kstat
02-04-2006, 10:58 PM
I think the Pistons got their first look at their future against the Pacers. Harrison and Granger are going to BEASTS!

Yep.

I give us 6 months, 1 1/2 years tops before the Pistons are forever 2nd in the east to Indiana.

indytoad
02-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Yep.

I give us 6 months, 1 1/2 years tops before the Pistons are forever 2nd in the east to Indiana.

Okay, now you're being sarcastic.

IndyToad
After about a billion babies

SoupIsGood
02-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Yep.

:-o

K, you were saying that David should play and be the starter before the season even started. Props. This doesn't exactly fit this thread, but you have great insight when it comes to evaluting players.... whenever we are rumored to be looking at a player I haven't heard of, I go searching for a KStat post :D

[/offtopic]

Hicks
02-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Yep.

Uh huh. I'm sure you believe that. :rolleyes:

Kstat
02-04-2006, 11:00 PM

K, you were saying that David should play and be the starter before the season even started. Props. This doesn't exactly fit this thread, but you have great insight when it comes to evaluting players....

I do recall saying that, actually.

Kstat
02-04-2006, 11:02 PM
Uh huh. I'm sure you believe that. :rolleyes:

You don't think so?

Didn't see much of an answer for Granger and Harrison out there. We couldn't even handle Pollard.

Sarunas has shown he can effectively shut down CHauncey Billups, I just think it's only a matter of time.

Willbo
02-04-2006, 11:03 PM

This doesn't exactly fit this thread, but you have great insight when it comes to evaluting players.... whenever we are rumored to be looking at a player I haven't heard of, I go searching for a KStat post

[/offtopic]

I agree with this, despite the sarcasm here i think Kstat is hands down the best evaluator of talent on this board...

SoupIsGood
02-04-2006, 11:04 PM
I agree with this, despite the sarcasm here i think Kstat is hands down the best evaluator of talent on this board...

K and UB hands down are the best.

Lord Helmet
02-04-2006, 11:11 PM
You don't think so?

Didn't see much of an answer for Granger and Harrison out there. We couldn't even handle Pollard.

Sarunas has shown he can effectively shut down CHauncey Billups, I just think it's only a matter of time.
:rolleyes:

Mordecaii
02-04-2006, 11:14 PM
You don't think so?

:laugh: :alcohol: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :lol2: :lol2: :lmao: :lmao: :liar:

NorCal_Pacerfan
02-04-2006, 11:14 PM
It's amazing what a small point swing can do. One win by us and all of a sudden everything is upside down. Detroit is still the best team in the league, and one loss doesn't mean squat.

But I have high hopes for the future of the Pacers franchise! I'd rather have Danny than Artest ANY DAY OF THE YEAR.

microwave_oven
02-04-2006, 11:39 PM
It's amazing what a small point swing can do. One win by us and all of a sudden everything is upside down. Detroit is still the best team in the league, and one loss doesn't mean squat.

But I have high hopes for the future of the Pacers franchise! I'd rather have Danny than Artest ANY DAY OF THE YEAR.

It's cause you can't have Artest for any day of the year. He's toobusy cutting records and getting suspended!

Unclebuck
02-04-2006, 11:57 PM
Also AJ played like an honest to God point guard tonight.

That's it, hell is freezing over. I can die in peace now.

Anthem
02-05-2006, 12:13 AM
I'm only awake because I'm waiting for Peck's post. You know he's working in Word, feverishly trying to cut it down to 10 pages. :D

SamBear
02-05-2006, 12:21 AM

Uh helloooooo :mygod: they are not the defending champs....
:spurs: :spurs: :spurs: :spurs: :spurs: :spurs: :spurs:

Hicks
02-05-2006, 12:24 AM
Yeah, yeah, I meant to say FORMER, and not that long ago, defending champ, while still defending conference champ x2. Better? :flirt:

grace
02-05-2006, 01:12 AM

I'm not sure how much of it was the Pacers being impressive and how much of it was the Pistons stinking up the joint.

sweabs
02-05-2006, 01:37 AM
I'm not sure how much of it was the Pacers being impressive and how much of it was the Pistons stinking up the joint.

Wahhhhhh - Waaooowwwww.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/0/04/250px-Racheldratchdebbie.jpg

BabbleOn
02-05-2006, 03:36 AM
After tonight, I'm honestly convinced your team is better without Jermaine and Tinsley. Jermaine messes with the flow of your offense, Tinsley is just Tinsley.

Anyways, Pistons did not show their stuff tonight. Hopefully this ends the 70 crap, and they'll wake up and realize HCA is again something to play for.

Good win, Pacers. This is makes your whole season worthwhile, right?

rexnom
02-05-2006, 07:47 AM
After tonight, I'm honestly convinced your team is better without Jermaine and Tinsley. Jermaine messes with the flow of your offense, Tinsley is just Tinsley.

Anyways, Pistons did not show their stuff tonight. Hopefully this ends the 70 crap, and they'll wake up and realize HCA is again something to play for.

Good win, Pacers. This is makes your whole season worthwhile, right?

We are not close to being done yet...can you say springboard?

SamBear
02-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Yeah, yeah, I meant to say FORMER, and not that long ago, defending champ, while still defending conference champ x2. Better? :flirt:

Yes.. thank you... :applaud:

Fool
02-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Its hilarious how much hate Kstat gets when his opinion is counter to the general Pacer fan outlook and how much love he gets when its in lock step with it.

While I can understand the "I don't want to hear tired" remarks. I have the same feeling for the "We were sooooooooooo injured, how amazing is our coach". One day you guys will wake up to the fact that either those guys who are often in some sort of sling when the Pacers perform better than they are expected are the problem, or the coaches use of those players is the problem.

Anyway, good win for you guys and take enjoyment in the fact that there were plenty of Piston fans terribly frustrated that Scot Pollard was out performing "the best starting 5 blah blah blah".

btowncolt
02-06-2006, 08:59 AM
It was a great game. Both teams played hard.

Natston
02-06-2006, 09:05 AM
It just seemed that Flip didn't want to win that game... :shrug:

:D

Frostwolf
02-06-2006, 09:10 AM
You guys need to stop... some of the comments here are downright embarrassing, regardless of the situation our team is in. I don't recall any of the Pistons supporters coming to PD and saying the kind of **** that's been said here.

But what would I know, bleh.

Trader Joe
02-06-2006, 09:53 AM
I agree with who said the Pistons somewhat underestimated the Pacers. EVen Ben Wallace said Friday night that the rivalry has lost some luster due to our recent struggles. I still have great respect for the Pistons and would kill to have Rip in a Pacers uni because without him the PIstons prob lose by 20. Great w for us tho.

Jon Theodore
02-06-2006, 11:30 AM
They underestimated us plain and simple. We got off to a pretty decent start which never happens. Once we had that momentum going, there was nothing they could do.

Scot Pollard almost became my favorite Pacer overnight, but he's gonna have to show me he can be consistent. The guy seems to have a lot of fun out there, a quality that is seemingly overlooked today.

sweabs
02-06-2006, 12:04 PM
One day you guys will wake up to the fact that either those guys who are often in some sort of sling when the Pacers perform better than they are expected are the problem, or the coaches use of those players is the problem.

From your perspective, do you prefer facing us with some of those guys, or without?

Fool
02-06-2006, 01:41 PM
I always prefer the Pistons face JO and I think the "JO effect" is bigger than just one head to head game so in effect, the Pacers are always facing the Pistons "with those guys".

Kstat
02-06-2006, 01:44 PM
I prefer to face them with JO because I know he'll draw the Pistons' best effort. Has nothing to do with how the Pacers play with or without him.

Since the Sheed trade, we're 0-2 with two embarrasing losses facing them without JO and 11-5 when they do have him.

KG, Duncan, Iverson, Shaq, etc. When there's an all-star to challenge us, we play a lot better.

Harddrive7
02-06-2006, 01:50 PM
I prefer to face them with JO because I know he'll draw the Pistons' best effort. Has nothing to do with how the Pacers play with or without him.

KG, Duncan, Shaq, etc. When there's an all-star to challenge us, we play a lot better.

Darn, I was hoping that Detroit gave us their best effort. So when Detroit isn't challenged they don't win, or they don't care enough to win, or they just get complacent?

So we outplayed Detroit and got the "W" but we got it because Detroit wasn't challenged enough?

I'm just trying to understand how to beat Detroit.

Kstat
02-06-2006, 01:55 PM
If there's a concrete blueprint to beat the Pistons, it'll show during the playoffs. It's impossible for two teams to duplicate playoff-level intensity in the regular season, so there's no point in stressing over it. Just enjoy the wins and move on.

sweabs
02-06-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm just trying to understand how to beat Detroit.

I think 29 other teams are asking themselves the same question too :D

I took a couple things away from our win on Saturday.

For one thing, you need to expose Richard Hamilton on the defensive end. If you have a bigger shooting guard like Jackson, for instance, you can exploit that matchup. Laimbeer mentioned on the broadcast that a lot of teams are doing it lately - but take Rip down low, post him up, make him work and get physical...because he doesn't want to. He's overmatched down there, and fortunately the weak-side help from either Wallace was no where to be found.

The other thing I took away from the game was to be aggressive with the Pistons. Force them into committing fouls, or getting tired (so the starting 5 become prone to committing fouls).......almost pushing them into using their bench (because I don't think their bench has any sort of identity as of now - another comment Laimbeer made).

Speaking of Pistons broadcasters and former Pistons bad-boys...just a little side note I had to throw in here :). My brother is being heavily recruited across Canada, and the University of Windsor invited them to their team's banquet where they featured Rick Mahorn as a guest speaker. Apparently Rick performed a speech after dinner and spoke highly of my brother and the two of them got to talk afterwards. Must have been a very surreal experience...wish I was there :(

Kstat
02-06-2006, 02:08 PM
For one thing, you need to expose Richard Hamilton on the defensive end. If you have a bigger shooting guard like Jackson, for instance, you can exploit that matchup. Laimbeer mentioned on the broadcast that a lot of teams are doing it lately - but take Rip down low, post him up, make him work and get physical...because he doesn't want to. He's overmatched down there, and fortunately the weak-side help from either Wallace was no where to be found.

Eventually, they did switch Prince out on Jackson and he was no longer effective posting up, and started to jack up bad shots. Of course, that also didn't matter because Indiana had so much momentum.

Rip's defense has improved a TON. Usually posting him up with bigger guards hasn't worked well at all this season. Last night surprised me a little, because he hasn't been anything close to a weak link defensively this year.

Then again, Rip simply may not be used to playing Jackson. JRich put 37 on him this year and the 2nd time they played, Rip held him to something like %25 shooting.

I'd like to see Rip guard Jackson a 2nd time before I consider switching Prince out on to him, and I decide wether he was caught by surprise, or he simply can't guard him.

Rip takes a ton of pride in his defense. I have to believe he took that night personally.

The other thing I took away from the game was to be aggressive with the Pistons. Force them into committing fouls, or getting tired (so the starting 5 become prone to committing fouls).......almost pushing them into using their bench (because I don't think their bench has any sort of identity as of now - another comment Laimbeer made).

That's the funny thing. The Pistons LOVE aggressive play. Saturday was just odd that way.

As for the bench- It'll be fine once we work Lindsey and Dale into the rotation. Problem is we have too many guys and Flip needs to find the right combo.

As for the foul-prone thing, this unit is way too smart to get into foul trouble.

I love what Delfino and Mo bring, but Delfino doesn't play enough, and Mo plays a little too much. Meanwhile, Dice plays too much and Dale plays too little.

It also would have been nice to have Lindsey Hunter in there to cause havoc on the shakey ballhandling of Sarunas and AJ. Neither one is a great ballhandler and both would be candidates to unleash Hunter on.

Slick Pinkham
02-06-2006, 03:30 PM
It also would have been nice to have Lindsey Hunter in there to cause havoc on the shakey ballhandling of Sarunas and AJ. Neither one is a great ballhandler and both would be candidates to unleash Hunter on.

You got that right. As soon as Billups got into foul trouble the PG spot became advantage Pacers, to my surprise. Delfino and Arroyo couldn't pressure the ball and were overpowered inside by AJ. The second foul on Billups was a momentum-changer that nobody to my knowledge has mentioned as a key point in the game.

As an aside, did Rick Carlisle's switch to rookie Granger and near rookie Harrison in the last 3-4 minutes, in place of "safer" choices Peja and Pollard, surprise you? Maybe Rick has learned a little about playing young players in crunch time that he didn't believe in when Prince was a rookie.

Pacesetter
02-06-2006, 03:37 PM

I see the excuse making as a compliment to our team!

On a side note, Rasheed DIDN'T make excuses for the loss:
No excuses. They beat us up on the boards. That’s how they got the big lead and they beat us in that category."

At the same time our guys don't have time to admire themselves, we've got Portland, and then a tough Golden State team comin in here! We need W's!!!