PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wells Q&A - 2/3/2006

obnoxiousmodesty
02-04-2006, 10:42 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/SPORTS0404/51007007

Mike Wells: Pacers Q&A

Indianapolis Star sports reporter Mike Wells answers your questions about the Pacers.

<!-- *** MIDDLE ADS ******************************************** --><!-- TEXT & SIDEBAR --> Answers Posted Feb. 3, 2006

Question: After painfully watching D. Harrison for 11/2 seasons now, I can honestly say his game appears to be without merit and his presence on the court is almost always costly. I'm prepared to accept the fact that I may be wrong but I wish you would point it out to me if I am. (Richard from Miami)

Answer: I wouldn’t say his presence on the court is costly. Harrison has tons of potential. His problem is that he’s foul prone and he lets his emotions get the best of him at times. With O’Neal out, this is the time for Harrison to show how effective he can be because he’s the Pacers best low post player right now.

Question: Has there been any team in the NBA that has lost to the Hawks twice other than the Pacers?

Answer: The Pacers have company when it comes to losing to the Hawks. Atlanta has also beaten Boston and New York twice. Those three teams can all share the same misery. (Christian from Fullerton, Calif.)

Question: Do you think that the other players get tired of defending Jackson's and O'Neal's men while they continually don't get back on defense because they are crying to the officials? (Bob from Indianapolis)

Answer: Nobody has come out publicly and said it, but it has to bother them because they’re stuck having to play four on five while one or the other strolls back on defense after finally realizing the officials aren’t going to blow the whistle and all of a sudden change their mind about the play. The Pacers would be a much better team if they used the energy spent whining to the officials on focusing on helping the team out. Jackson and O’Neal aren’t the only players that have a tendency of complaining. Fred Jones and Jamaal Tinsley are also culprits.

Question: Well, well, what do you think about Peja for Ron. I think it is better than nothing. (John from Brownsburg, Ind.)

Answer: Peja isn’t a bad pickup, especially after looking at him against the Lakers. I would have liked to see the Pacers get Al Harrington. I don’t think Stojakovic is effective unless he’s scoring. I will say this, though, I think Stojakovic is a better rebounder than Artest. I also think the Pacers took a gamble because of Stojakovic having the opportunity to opt out his contract at the end of the season. The Pacers are stuck with nothing if he does that and signs with another team.

Question: "Answer: No, I don’t see the Pacers getting to the Eastern Conference Finals. This team has completely underachieved this season. They play with no passion or pride. The players look like they don t care most of the time. There s no way they should have lost to Atlanta twice, Charlotte and Toronto. Barring a miracle, this team isn t headed anywhere near the Conference Finals."

Hello, as a transplanted Hoosier, I wanted to fully support your statement. Even with all the injuries the Pacers have show the worse team chemistry in over 15 years. Austin to me plays with the most passion even though he doesn’t have all the talent in the world, he plays with heart, and the best interest in the TEAM first. With the trade for Peja, probably being temporary, what do you feel the Pacers need to right the ship? Thanks for your great column. (Jon from Savannah, Ga.)

Answer: Jon, you’re one of the few people that agrees with my assessment about the Pacers. Seems like there’s a lot of people in denial about what’s going on with this team. You would think the chemistry would have gotten better once Artest left the team. There seems to be players who have personal agendas. You can see it on the court by the body language and when players run down the court shaking their head in disgust when they’re not getting touches. I can probably count on two hands how many times the Pacers have been on the same page this season. As far as immediate needs go, I think they need a frontcourt player that likes to defend, rebound and set screens. The Pacers are just an average rebounding team and they need a player that can set good screens to free up Stojakovic. A player like Antonio Davis would have been a good addition for them, but it looks like he's about to be traded New York to Toronto.

Question: Not so much a question, but a statement. I don't think you should change your style at all. I believe we need honesty in reporting, which you provide. If the team stinks, which it does, you should report that. I've been a fan of the Pacers for 30 years, the fact of the matter is the team has some problems. In the immortal words of Jim Mora...Playoffs? Playoffs? Forget the playoffs, let's pray for a high draft pick! Keep up the good work and honest reporting. (Jim South Lyon, Mich.)

Answer: Jim Mora would probably be proud of you for using his statement. I’ve said a number of times over the past month or so that the Pacers won’t win an NBA title, let alone reach the Eastern Conference Finals. I do think they’ll make the playoffs because the conference is average outside of Detroit. The Pacers best bet is to avoid the eighth seed because it will be a quick (four, maybe five, games) exit from the postseason for them. I hear South Florida is nice in late April and early May. As far as my reporting goes, I call it how I see it. Fans think I have some type of hatred toward the Pacers. No, I’m not a fan of the team because that would be unethical. I don’t dislike them, either.

Question: Welcome to Pacerland! My question relates to the team chemistry. Are any of the players excelling this year? To me, it seems that Croshere, Fred Jones, and Danny Granger have played well when given the chance. What is your take? (Mike from Raleigh, N.C.)

Answer: I think Croshere has been an unsung hero this season. This is the same player that looked like he was going to be an amnesty-clause victim last summer. Although not the most athletic player on the court, Croshere plays hard on both ends. Granger has shown signs of what type of player he’s going to be. You have to remember, though, he’s a rookie. I’ve got two words about Jones: Contract year. Jones, the Pacers’ energy player off the bench, is playing for his next contract since he didn’t get the extension before the season started. He’s played well the past month or so after looking like he didn’t care when the season started.

Question: You are clearly more negative on the Pacers than other previous Star reporters. Does this cause you to get flack from Pacer players and management? (Andrew from Pine Grove Mills, Pa.)

Answer: You’re good if you can write positive things about what’s been going on with this team. It’s hard for the players to give me a hard time when they’re not proving me wrong by going out and winning games. Besides, they know they’re not a good team at the moment. They’ve got more important issues - like winning games - than worrying about what I’m writing in the paper. Let me help you out and give you some quotes from the team in recent weeks.

-- “I don’t know what the hell is wrong with this team. For the first time in my career I don’t where my team is.” – Jermaine O’Neal.

--“It’s not about the losing, it’s how we’re losing. You can lose fighting, but we’re not even doing that. It seems like we’re taking the losing very lightly.” – Sarunas Jasikevicius

--“We have to be honest, we’re not a very good basketball team right now.” -- Coach Rick Carlisle

Question: Any reason they couldn't send Ron Artest to the NBDL? (Pat from Indianapolis)

Answer: Funny thing, Ron probably wouldn’t have minded playing in the NBDL. He just wanted to get back on the court again after regretting what he said in December. If you’re under contract with a team, you’re only allowed to play in the NBDL if you’re a rookie or a second-year player. (Pat from Indianapolis)

Question: Good the Artest (formerly known as Pacer) Saga is OVER! Goodbye Ronnie the ungrateful. My question to you Mr. Wells is, who's next? Do you see any moves in your crystal ball? And now that we have yet another shooting guard/small forward when are we finally going to unload Austin's ridiculous contract on someone? (Eric from Seattle, Wash.)

Answer: At the rate Pacers are going, I would be surprised if Walsh and Bird sat around and didn’t look to make another move. They didn’t envision this team to have a .500 record at this point of the season. I touched on this in an earlier question, but I think they need help in the frontcourt – by free agency or a trade - while O’Neal is out. I think that’s the biggest concern at the moment. I would be surprised if Croshere went anywhere before the deadline because of how valuable he’s been this season.

Question: Where can I find player salary information? I'd like to know which Pacers become Free Agents this summer and next summer. I think we have an opportunity to acquire some key Free Agents over the next few years. (Dustin from Indianapolis)

Answer: You can go to www.hoopshype.com (http://www.hoopshype.com/) and clink on the “salaries” link.

Question: Will Fred Jones be competing in this years dunk contest? (Paul from Staten Island, N.Y.)

Answer: The league never contacted Jones, who won the event two years ago, about taking part in the event. He said earlier he wasn’t going to compete in it because he didn’t feel like he would be competitive.

able
02-04-2006, 11:51 AM
I swear, it's getting worse, not better.

some follow up Q's for Mike, "I just wanna harp on this team" Wwwwelsh:

1: how many times this year has David Harrisson fouled out ?
2: How many teams have there been that lost twice to the Hawks? Isn't that "past tense"? ; I can name quite a few over the years.
3: Can you name me the games where Jermain O'Neal did not get back on defense this year AFTER the first 5 - 8 games ? How come you notice they're not on defense?
4: Why on earth would you want Harrington back, is one black hole on the team not enough? Or are you truly saying that Al (also a FA at the end of the season) is a better player then Peja?
5: So we need another frontcourt player? Foster, Croshere, Harrisson, Stojakovic, O'Neal (il) Pollard & Granger are not enough ?
6: Cro has been playing poorly the past 2 -3 weeks, did you miss all the games since Ron went Ron Ron?
7: As you just admitted you are a poor journalist since your incapacity to write anything positive about the team who's beat writer you are supposed to be, when are you going back to school and who is taking over your job in the meanwhile?
And since the rest of the questions are to idiotic for consideration of an answer, it makes me wonder whether you are getting paid for this part of the gig by the answer?, Sure you can come up with even more silly question, but at least answer them with some form of insight, like "you can find the team's salaries by estimate on the "hoopshype" site, but this team will be unable to sign any FA other then their own since there is no chance whatsoever they will get far enough under the cap,

This guy is nothing but a fake.

Moses
02-04-2006, 12:51 PM
I swear, it's getting worse, not better.

some follow up Q's for Mike, "I just wanna harp on this team" Wwwwelsh:

1: how many times this year has David Harrisson fouled out ?
2: How many teams have there been that lost twice to the Hawks? Isn't that "past tense"? ; I can name quite a few over the years.
3: Can you name me the games where Jermain O'Neal did not get back on defense this year AFTER the first 5 - 8 games ? How come you notice they're not on defense?
4: Why on earth would you want Harrington back, is one black hole on the team not enough? Or are you truly saying that Al (also a FA at the end of the season) is a better player then Peja?
5: So we need another frontcourt player? Foster, Croshere, Harrisson, Stojakovic, O'Neal (il) Pollard & Granger are not enough ?
6: Cro has been playing poorly the past 2 -3 weeks, did you miss all the games since Ron went Ron Ron?
7: As you just admitted you are a poor journalist since your incapacity to write anything positive about the team who's beat writer you are supposed to be, when are you going back to school and who is taking over your job in the meanwhile?
And since the rest of the questions are to idiotic for consideration of an answer, it makes me wonder whether you are getting paid for this part of the gig by the answer?, Sure you can come up with even more silly question, but at least answer them with some form of insight, like "you can find the team's salaries by estimate on the "hoopshype" site, but this team will be unable to sign any FA other then their own since there is no chance whatsoever they will get far enough under the cap,

This guy is nothing but a fake.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Wells is an idiot. I usually only pay attention to Montieths and Conrads articles out of Indiana. When I saw that Austin Croshere was the unsung hero I thought to myself, maybe 2 months ago that was the case..But he's been absolute garbage lately and hasn't taken it upon himself to be a good scorer.

Hicks
02-04-2006, 12:52 PM
People who disagree with me = fake ;)

able
02-04-2006, 01:05 PM
People who disagree with me = fake ;)

Mind explaining what you are hinting at here ?

Hicks
02-04-2006, 01:30 PM
I think you go above and beyond reason in picking Wells apart. But I think this is largely a matter of opinion splitting how Wells feels, how we feel, and how each of use feels ABOUT Wells.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
02-04-2006, 01:33 PM
I dont live in IN and I hardly ever read this guy's stuff when you post it here, but for some reason I got sucked into read this one and...damn...this guy sucks.

All he did was select questions to answer that allowed him to praise himself. Im sorry by journalists aren't supposed to be reporting about themselves...

Peck
02-04-2006, 01:59 PM
I love Mike Wells.

able
02-04-2006, 02:14 PM
I think you go above and beyond reason in picking Wells apart. But I think this is largely a matter of opinion splitting how Wells feels, how we feel, and how each of use feels ABOUT Wells.

Even in the case I would go beyond reason to "pick Wells apart" that would in no way justify your statement that I Iabel anyone who disagrees with me "fake", before you make a bold statement like that at least come up with a number of cases where I labelled anyone or anything to begin with and with the label "fake" more precise.

Besides that I do not go beyond anything but common knowledge to "pick Wells apart", that's how easy he makes it.

In the end an opinion is formed, at least in my case, on facts and produce, and in this case the procuce is dismal and the facts are ignored by him, so the "opinion" is quite easy formed.

Finally he is getting paid to do a job, which is a public one ultimately, and if he's entitled to have uninformed or misinforming critique on anyone, then he himself is just as open for such treatment, though I would not stoop that low, I prefer informed and factual supported.

Bball
02-04-2006, 02:20 PM
I have no problem with what Wells said or has written.

Read this:
Question: You are clearly more negative on the Pacers than other previous Star reporters. Does this cause you to get flack from Pacer players and management? (Andrew from Pine Grove Mills, Pa.)

Answer: You’re good if you can write positive things about what’s been going on with this team.

Maybe read it again...

It's not Wells' job to blow sunshine up our a$$es. He needs to report what is happening, like it or not.

-Bball

Suaveness
02-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Funny enough, I really really like Mike Wells. I like the accuracy, nonbiased way of his reporting.

Interestingly, I don't think he agrees much with Fred.

Hicks
02-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Even in the case I would go beyond reason to "pick Wells apart" that would in no way justify your statement that I Iabel anyone who disagrees with me "fake", before you make a bold statement like that at least come up with a number of cases where I labelled anyone or anything to begin with and with the label "fake" more precise.

Besides that I do not go beyond anything but common knowledge to "pick Wells apart", that's how easy he makes it.

In the end an opinion is formed, at least in my case, on facts and produce, and in this case the procuce is dismal and the facts are ignored by him, so the "opinion" is quite easy formed.

Finally he is getting paid to do a job, which is a public one ultimately, and if he's entitled to have uninformed or misinforming critique on anyone, then he himself is just as open for such treatment, though I would not stoop that low, I prefer informed and factual supported.

able I don't have the time or there interest to go back and select the things I've read you say that have led to my opinion on this. I don't take this discussion too seriously and neither should you; I'm just calling it as I see it. Try not to read so much into my generalizations and tease.

Hicks
02-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Re-reading my last post I think that comes across more dry and serious in tone than I meant it. I really am not being as serious as this all sounds.

Unclebuck
02-04-2006, 03:23 PM
I don't have a problem with Wells' writing/reporting. he's a terrible interview, he just doesn't speak at that well

Hicks
02-04-2006, 03:27 PM
I don't have a problem with Wells either. The facts he get wrong are usually ones that get reported both as he says it, and another way, so depending on which you believe that will make him look bad or not there I guess. Past that I think some people just don't like reading bad things about the team from the local reporter. This team is bad right now. I'm excited to see if they can rise above that with some new blood and their new burst of energy, but for now it's an accurate statement. I like that after the sugar-coating of Conrad and Montieth, who I do like in general.

Arcadian
02-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Wells is OK. I don't dislike him but to like a report would unethical.

I think he is fine as a reporter. His speculation is bad though. Like simply picking up a big man better than what we have or going after Al, who is a free agent, rather than Peja because Peja is a free agent. (Granted he doesn't go on about Bender being a natural shooting guard but still.)

Also Cro isn't an unsung hero anymore. He's been sung plenty and he hasn't played that well recently.

Unclebuck
02-04-2006, 04:07 PM
I respect anyone's opinion when they cloesly follow the team as Wells does. I don't respect Kravitz opinion because he watches one game per month, if that.

NaptownBound
02-04-2006, 10:42 PM
I love Mike Wells.

Totally agree. I'm with you.

I even sent Wells an e-mail thanking him for his work.

People need to realize that he's not being negative, he's being real.
If the team is losing, he's not going to sugar coat the frustration.
If the team was winning, he'll report the jubilation.

People need to get over it and themselves.

Anthem
02-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Also Cro isn't an unsung hero anymore. He's been sung plenty and he hasn't played that well recently.
:laugh:

Good call.