PDA

View Full Version : Scattered Musings of a Geezer

indygeezer
02-04-2006, 08:19 AM
I thought about having a thread for each becasue I really don't wanna lose any of these thoughts, they're just that good:-p

If the rumor came out that the Pacers were thinking of trading for Kobe, would anyone dare to utter the immortal words, "Beware the great player on a lousy team"?

Is Fred Jones playing great or is he merely having a "Contract year"?

How much would it change the game of basketball if a rebound was worth one point and a foul on a rebound was an "AndOne" situation? (Jump balls and rebounds knocked out of bounds result in no points being scored).

That's enough for one thread to ponder on.

indygeezer
02-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Sheesh, 92 readings and not ONE reponse????

Ok, letthis dog die a merciful death. I thought one of those three would SURELY spark SOME interest in people. Guess I'm just out of step with people.

DIE BEYOTCH....BURN IN HELL!!!

Los Angeles
02-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Where does an old man learn to use the word beyotch?

:-p

I promise to reply to at least one of your ideas when this hangover wears off.

Roy Munson
02-04-2006, 07:19 PM

He's playing great. If it were not a contract year he'd be playing the same way. To suggest that he's playing the way he is because he's trying to cash in on a jackpot contract is off the mark, IMO. This implies that he's trying harder because it's a contract year, and I do not see a difference in attitude or effort in Freddy's game when comparing this season to previous seasons.

There are several reasons he's playing the way he is.

1) experience. Each year he's been with the Pacers he's become more comfortable and familiar with what they want him to do.

2) opportunity. He's on the floor a lot, because of injuries, and the situations he's in allow him to do more with the ball while he's in the game. I've commented in other threads that I think the fact that Tinsley is out of the lineup has more to do than anything with Freddy's productivity. Even this year, in games that Tinsley has played, Freddy's scoring average is 60% less than in games that Tinsley is out of the lineup.

3) Confidence. This goes along with experience, but Freddy knows what he can and can't do, and plays accordingly. (too bad stephen jackson didn't have a little bit of this attribute). Also, Carlisle appears to have a lot of confidence in Freddy.

Arcadian
02-04-2006, 07:32 PM
1) I would have a very hard time cheering for Kobe.

2) No, I don't believe Fred is playing like this because it is a contract year.

3) Jeff Foster would lead the league in points and revolutionize the game with his rebounds on his misput backs. He could very well score 5 or 6 points each time down the floor.

able
02-04-2006, 07:58 PM
If the rumor came out that the Pacers were thinking of trading for Kobe, would anyone dare to utter the immortal words, "Beware the great player on a lousy team"?

Beware the player with the symptoms of Kobe on a Pacers team.
I would give him 2 months in Indy before he would be chased out of town for not playing ball the right way.

He's playing good, not great, and yes he has a contract year, he has something to prove, he's the first player in a very long period of time that did not get an extension, and he is trying to prove Donny and Larry wrong on that count, and he's succeeding

How much would it change the game of basketball if a rebound was worth one point and a foul on a rebound was an "AndOne" situation? (Jump balls and rebounds knocked out of bounds result in no points being scored).

In general it would up the score and we would lose by even more then we generally do, since we do get outrebounded more then frequently as well, and would even lose the few tights ones we won this year, because in all of those we were handsomly outrebounded.

Even more general it would make little difference, usually the battle "on the boards" is won by the winning team, or the team that wins that battle wins the game.
So except for larger score differences and less "tight" games it would not make a difference

PacerMan
02-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Fred has been our BEST guard at the end of the past TWO seasons. He was hurt going into the playoffs both years or he would be MUCH more acclaimed than he is now. We would also have beaten the Pistons at least one year, likely 2 years ago when Reggie and Tinsley were both hobbled. Yes, we were that close and yes, he would have made that difference.

owl
02-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Pacerman said....."Fred has been our BEST guard at the end of the past TWO seasons. He was hurt going into the playoffs both years or he would be MUCH more acclaimed than he is now. We would also have beaten the Pistons at least one year, likely 2 years ago when Reggie and Tinsley were both hobbled. Yes, we were that close and yes, he would have made that difference."
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

After watching the Pacers and Colts for many years you become numb to
the almost Championship years. It is a state of being at least in Indiana.
You do not dwell on it too much or it can become really depressing.
I have to look at the journey the teams make and not the end result.
That is the only way to enjoy sports. If your team wins it all that is gravy
or icing on the cake. You pick which metaphor works for you.

owl