PDA

View Full Version : SAS reporting: AD back to Toronto, Rose to the Knicks & 1st Rounder

Frank Slade
02-03-2006, 03:44 PM
ESPN Radio Reporting

AD traded back to Toronto, Rose to the Knicks

I will try and find more details...

Edit.. Knicks got the 1st rounder !!

Natston
02-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Why? Especially the Knicks...

Jaydawg2270
02-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Why would Zeke give up a 1st for jalen?

Evan_The_Dude
02-03-2006, 03:48 PM
LoL, I wonder what Kendra has to say about this...

Ragnar
02-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Clearly the Knicks needed another over paid plays no defense guy who thinks he is a pg but is not.

Evan_The_Dude
02-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Surely AD is going to request a trade from Toronto. No way he wants to be back there, especially now in this stage of his career

Shade
02-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Poor AD and Knicks fans. That's horrible. Zeke is such a tard.

CableKC
02-03-2006, 03:56 PM
The Knicks made out on this one...they get a player that they can use...but can't play defense....but gets a 1st round draft pick.

AD will probably just play out the season and then go to another team next season.

Shade
02-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Btw, does anyone else think this is Zeke's first major move back toward the bench? AD was pretty much the only player LB was getting along with, and we all know how he feels about Jalen.

Yeesh. Believe it or not, the Knicks will be even worse now. My condolences, Rimfire.

Shade
02-03-2006, 03:58 PM
The Knicks made out on this one...they get a player that they can use...but can't play defense....but gets a 1st round draft pick.

AD will probably just play out the season and then go to another team next season.

The Raps got the draft pick I believe, not the Knicks.

Frank Slade
02-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Updated: Feb. 3, 2006, 3:51 PM ET
Knicks acquire Rose, first-round pick for Davis

<!-- begin text11 div --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=2></TD><TD width=65>http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/nba/profiles/players/65x90/2636.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD width=2></TD><TD width=65>Rose</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=2></TD><TD width=65>http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/nba/profiles/players/65x90/2143.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD width=2></TD><TD width=65>Davis</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The New York Knicks (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=nyk) have acquired Toronto Raptors (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=tor) guard/forward Jalen Rose (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=2636) and a first-round pick in exchange for power forward Antonio Davis (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=2143), ESPN's Stephen A. Smith reports.
Davis was a likely target to be traded because of his expiring contract.
The Knicks have lost nine of their last 10 games.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2317958

Jon Theodore
02-03-2006, 04:01 PM
ESPN Radio Reporting

AD traded back to Toronto, Rose to the Knicks
I believe Raptors get a 1st rounder as well ?

I will try and find more details...

John Mayer is *bleep*

Please refrain from using deragatory remarks. Thanks. - Shade

DisplacedKnick
02-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Btw, does anyone else think this is Zeke's first major move back toward the bench? AD was pretty much the only player LB was getting along with, and we all know how he feels about Jalen.

Yeesh. Believe it or not, the Knicks will be even worse now. My condolences, Rimfire.

Yup - we will be well and truly horrible.

Wait a minute - we're already horrible ...

Now, if we're getting Toronto's own pick which will be top-5 it's one thing. If we're getting Toronto's Denver pick it's something else.

btowncolt
02-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Yup - we will be well and truly horrible.

Wait a minute - we're already horrible ...

Now, if we're getting Toronto's own pick which will be top-5 it's one thing. If we're getting Toronto's Denver pick it's something else.

I can't imagine Isiah had the ability to wrangle Toronto's pick from them.

DG-33
02-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Knicks get a pick and a good scoring SF. Raptors get salary cap relief a year early.

Fair trade.

Chauncey
02-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Pre-cursor to the next move, bank on it.

Crawford heading out is my guess.

purdue101
02-03-2006, 04:08 PM
The pick will be Denver's......no way they give up this year's pick and a shot at aldrige, gay, or morrison.

Toronto will be player in the FA market this summer. I'm sure they'll take a look at Freddie. I've heard they really like Radmanovic too.

Unclebuck
02-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Brown and Isiah both don't like Jalen. Not sure why they did this deal

Fireball Kid
02-03-2006, 04:11 PM
This is just yet another part of Zeke's evil masterplan:evillaugh

purdue101
02-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Brown and Isiah both don't like Jalen. Not sure why they did this deal

NY could care less about taking on extra salary.......MSG is unbelievably profitable through the T.V. contracts.

Isiah wants the pick. He traded away this years pick (probably top 3) to get Eddy Curry. On top of that, Chicago has the option to switch their 2007 pick with NY's 2007 pick as part of the Eddy Curry deal. Chicago made out like bandits in that deal and NY isn't going to be in the lottery until 2008.

Peck
02-03-2006, 04:15 PM
A draft pick for A.D.? Toronto has lost it's mind.

They will never get good F/A to sign up there so why in the name of God give away draft picks when they have no say whatsoever where they go until thier rookie contract is up.

purdue101
02-03-2006, 04:19 PM
If Embry were smart he'll go after foreign players.......they would probably like Toronto b/c of the diversity. Nene and Radmanovic are FA this summer!

Tornoto is in desperation mode, trying to get competitive before Bosh is up for a new deal next summer.

Ragnar
02-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Yeah I dont get the dump salary to lure free agents to a cold weather high tax city.

abington
02-03-2006, 04:31 PM
horrible horrible trade for toronto. a lottery pick? are you freaking kidding me?

rexnom
02-03-2006, 04:32 PM
If Embry were smart he'll go after foreign players.......they would probably like Toronto b/c of the diversity. Nene and Radmanovic are FA this summer!

Tornoto is in desperation mode, trying to get competitive before Bosh is up for a new deal next summer.

This is an excellent point. I think this is bad news for us. Why? The Serbian population in Toronto is why. Peja and Radmanovic would probably like it up there. Both are free agents and candidates to go to Toronto. And because it's a weak free agent class they'll all get overpaid and now Toronto can do that...ah the beauty of cap space. BTW, this is how players get overpaid. Thanks Toronto. If they don't get Stojakovic they'll at least jack up his asking price.

Also, I am 99.9% sure they didn't trade their lottery pick. They aren't that stupid. The Babcocks are out, remember?

FrenchConnection
02-03-2006, 04:34 PM

Peja has to be another target of his...

denyfizle
02-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Zeke is an idiot

Shade
02-03-2006, 04:40 PM
So the Knicks actually get the Denver pick. That makes it less lopsided, but I still don't like it for NY unless other trades are in the works. Too many chuckers who don't play D.

Early reactions are happy Knicks fans and pissed-off Raptors fans, btw.

purdue101
02-03-2006, 04:40 PM
I don't think Toronto will get Peja b/c he's too old to fit into their rebuilding plans.....I wouldn't be surprised if they jack up his value though by overpaying Radmanovic.

Early reports say the pick is Denver's. Good deal for the Raptors.

CableKC
02-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Also, I am 99.9% sure they didn't trade their lottery pick. They aren't that stupid. The Babcocks are out, remember?

Toronto had 2 1st round draft picks....they traded the Denver 1st round pick....the lower draft pick of the 2.

rexnom
02-03-2006, 04:47 PM
I think we're looking at one of two scenarios here this summer involving Peja:

1.) The "Austin Croshere Scenario"
Toronto, Chicago, and the like jack up Peja's asking price. We retain him but at a very high price. Probably more than 10mil/year.

2.) The "Brad Miller Scenario"
The aforementioned teams jack up his asking price but we don't retain Peja. Instead we try to concoct some sort of sign and trade that probably ends with us trading him to a contender like Miami.

Of course this is pure speculation and we could get lucky.

CableKC
02-03-2006, 04:52 PM
I think that we are going for S&T with Peja. I don't think its a matter of whether he wants to stay....its more if the Pacers are willing to pay him....which I don't think that they will do.

Slick Pinkham
02-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Big cost cutting move getting out from under Jalen's contract.

They free up money to re-sign Mike James this offseason. Chris Bosh said yesterday that he wants the Raptors to re-sign Mike. Raptors are going do everything to make Bosh happy so he doesn't leave them.

Then they have money left over to try to get Al or another FA.

Makes sense for Toronto.

NY? Isiah? :crazy:

A prelude to Brown's departure or to multiple moves in the next 2 weeks, or both.

CableKC
02-03-2006, 04:55 PM
I know that the Knicks wanted a SF....but I'm wondering if Brown wanted Rose as he is more of a scoring rather then defending SF.

DG-33
02-03-2006, 04:58 PM
I think the Pacers would match even a max contract to Peja.

rexnom
02-03-2006, 04:59 PM
I think that we are going for S&T with Peja. I don't think its a matter of whether he wants to stay....its more if the Pacers are willing to pay him....which I don't think that they will do.

Personally I think we're leaning towards paying Peja, if he doesn't just sign with another team (he is unrestricted if he opts out). I think Bird is in love with his game and sees him as a vital part of the future here.

Jermaniac
02-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Marbury-JCraw
Richardson
Jalen

Ohh my, the shoot chucking will be one of a kind.

rexnom
02-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Marbury-JCraw
Richardson
Jalen

Ohh my, the shoot chucking will be one of a kind.

I want Isiah Thomas to coach that team really bad. Just so he can be like "we need to go Phoenix with this team" and pull out a starting lineup of:

Marbury, Crawford, Richardson, Jalen (Isiah: "Sure, he can play the 4, why not?"), and Jerome James (Isiah: "The second coming of Amare")

mboyle1313
02-03-2006, 05:17 PM
DG-33,

Point of clarification. Stojakovic will be an unrestricted FA, assuming he opts out of his contract. The Pacers do not have matching rights.

MJB

Shade
02-03-2006, 05:26 PM
3rd option: Peja doesn't opt out.

FrenchConnection
02-03-2006, 05:28 PM
DG-33,

Point of clarification. Stojakovic will be an unrestricted FA, assuming he opts out of his contract. The Pacers do not have matching rights.

MJB

Not to dispute here, but I thought that because they will have his Bird rights they could match the contract even if it took them way over the cap. He would not have to accept like a RFA would, but they could offer him the money.

mboyle1313
02-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Shade,

I don't think that is an option. We had his agent on during a game last week, and he said that they had definitely decided to opt out.

MJB

Slick Pinkham
02-03-2006, 05:29 PM
one of the Knicks shooters (Crawford?) is most likely headed to Portland for Theo Ratliff, who Larry and Isiah both apparently want pretty badly.

mboyle1313
02-03-2006, 05:30 PM
French,

Partially correct. They can go over the cap to retain his services, but he can walk if he finds another situation more appealing, regardless of whether the Pacers are willing to pay the same price.

MJB

Kstat
02-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Not to dispute here, but I thought that because they will have his Bird rights they could match the contract even if it took them way over the cap. He would not have to accept like a RFA would, but they could offer him the money.

Correct.

Indiana can offer Peja more money than anybody, but they can't force him to accept it.

rexnom
02-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Shade,

I don't think that is an option. We had his agent on during a game last week, and he said that they had definitely decided to opt out.

MJB

Any hints about whether he'll re-sign or not?

mboyle1313
02-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Rex,

Too early to speculate on that. I suspect it will depend on whether he enjoys his run here and what type of interest other franchises show.

MJB

Hicks
02-03-2006, 05:47 PM
I think we need to re-sign him.

rexnom
02-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Rex,

Too early to speculate on that. I suspect it will depend on whether he enjoys his run here and what type of interest other franchises show.

MJB

Thanks...we'll certainly do our best to make him feel at home...I think we can keep him and I really hope we do. Like Hicks said, we need him. If we keep Peja we could be very good next year.

Hicks
02-03-2006, 05:49 PM
I think the fans will fall in love with Peja quickly if his play stays decent. I mean it was hist FIRST GAME at Conseco, and by the second half you could hear the same murmer in the crowd when he lined up for a 3 point shot as you did when Reggie was here. FIRST GAME. We love our shooters.

rexnom
02-03-2006, 05:52 PM
I think the fans will fall in love with Peja quickly if his play stays decent. I mean it was hist FIRST GAME at Conseco, and by the second half you could hear the same murmer in the crowd when he lined up for a 3 point shot as you did when Reggie was here. FIRST GAME. We love our shooters.

I love Peja's basketball IQ as much as his shooting. He is tons of fun to watch.

denyfizle
02-03-2006, 06:15 PM
hollup.. the Knicks get a first Round pick from the RAPS???? that ain't right! maybe the Raptors finally conceded that they suck at drafting players.

Doug
02-03-2006, 06:31 PM
That's two first rounders Toronto has traded for AD. They must really love him up there. :-)

Charcoal Filtered
02-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Trade Bender and filler for AD?

Doug in CO
02-03-2006, 06:59 PM
How many years does Jalen have left on his contract?

18to88
02-03-2006, 07:09 PM
How many years does Jalen have left on his contract?

1 after this season and Antonio is done this year. Jalen makes like 2 million a year more.

Doug in CO
02-03-2006, 07:14 PM
So this trade puts Toronto under the cap this summer? How many teams are actually under the cap this summer?

CableKC
02-03-2006, 07:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=2318118

Updated: Feb. 3, 2006, 6:59 PM ET
By trading Rose, Raptors showing they want Bosh

It might only be an interim era, but the Wayne Embry Era in Toronto has started nothing like the Rob Babcock Era.

Babcock's first move, even before he gave away Vince Carter for a pittance, was the disastrous selection of Rafael Araujo with the No. 8 pick in the 2004 draft.

Embry's first strike as Babcock's temporary replacement was Friday's removal of Jalen Rose from the Raptors' payroll, which wipes away a $17 million obligation for next season.

The Raptors certainly didn't need to bring Antonio Davis (and wife Kendra) back to Canada and are bound to consider a buyout arrangement that would spare all parties from a Toronto reunion.

The Raps also would have preferred not to sacrifice a future first-round pick in sending Rose to the Knicks, but they desperately needed Davis' expiring contract as part of their plan to get way under the salary cap this off-season so Toronto can re-sign Chris Bosh and find the beefy sidekick Bosh needs for protection.

On that score, file away this name: Nene.

Denver's injured power forward/center will be a restricted free agent this summer and a target for any team with salary-cap space, with Chicago and Atlanta already known to be interested. But the Raptors just added themselves to the short list of clubs that might be able to put forth an offer that the Nuggets deem too rich to match or (more likely) forces Denver into a sign-and-trade & especially if Embry can follow through on his efforts to move swingman Eric Williams before the Feb. 23 trading deadline.

Something else you should know: Nene has some little-known Canadian ties.

His original NBA interpreter and personal manager, Joe Santos, was born and raised just outside of Toronto, which might actually give the Raptors a bit of a free-agent edge for once.

Even if Nene can't be lured north of the border out of Denver, having significant cap space is vital as the Raptors try to start over around Bosh. They need to make a splashy acquisition or two to show Bosh that he would be wise to sign a long-term extension before next season, and cap room makes the Raps a contender for not only Nene -- whom doctors expect to recover fully from his Opening Night knee tear -- but perhaps sharpshooting free agent-to-be Peja Stojakovic, a move that would be well-received by Toronto's expansive Serbian community as well.

Either way, Toronto just increased its options and manufactured some hope after a dark season and a half under Babcock. More moves that do that and Embry, who has made it clear he prefers an advisory role to the thought of replacing Babcock full-time at 68, might be asked to reconsider.

This was touched on by other in PD about Peja and why he may have a reason to play for Toronto. Nothing new.....but it does shed some light on why the Raptors did what they did with Rose. Other then the obvious that they wanted to shed Rose's contract......they maybe making room to get a player to motivate Bosh to sign and extension.

Kegboy
02-03-2006, 08:04 PM
I'm really interested in how Rose will respond to Larry now. Sure, he's older, presumably wiser, but he still hates playing D.

And Shade, I know you hate Zeke, but it's preposterous to suggest that he'd replace Larry with anyone, least of all himself. Isiah idolizes the man, and he knows that without Larry, his own job situation would be pretty iffy.

rexnom
02-03-2006, 08:24 PM
I love how when there's a bad contract to be dumped Isiah Thomas is usually on the receiving end. I mean, he has to be the first person GMs call, right? Even Cuban is salary-wiser these days.

rexnom
02-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Btw, from the Stein article:

"The Raptors certainly didn't need to bring Antonio Davis (and wife Kendra) back to Canada and are bound to consider a buyout arrangement that would spare all parties from a Toronto reunion."

Anyone else as interested as I am? Can we add Tony for the minimum? How does that work?

Hicks
02-03-2006, 08:36 PM
If they buy him out we need to sign him. For without AND with JO here. Not thrilled about adding Kendra within 50 miles of me though. :uhoh:

skyfire
02-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Didn't he express a desire to stay in Chicago? Given that they are under the salary cap, surely he would be headed back there if bought out.

rexnom
02-03-2006, 09:34 PM
Does AD have an innate love for Indy like DD did? I know he came to watch the Pacers during their run in 2000 but none of those guys are left anymore. Well, except for Austin Croshere and I somehow get the feeling they weren't best pals.

Shade
02-03-2006, 09:57 PM
I wonder how AD would be received in Chitown after charging the stands?

Shade
02-03-2006, 10:00 PM
I'm really interested in how Rose will respond to Larry now. Sure, he's older, presumably wiser, but he still hates playing D.

And Shade, I know you hate Zeke, but it's preposterous to suggest that he'd replace Larry with anyone, least of all himself. Isiah idolizes the man, and he knows that without Larry, his own job situation would be pretty iffy.

Then how do you explain him acquiring a guy that both he and LB have been known to put in the doghouse in the past? Simply for the draft pick? That makes no sense at all.

Outlaw
02-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Wasn't AD and Rose part of the trade with Chicago and Toronto a few years back?:confused: Kind of ironic IMO

sweabs
02-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Wasn't AD and Rose part of the trade with Chicago and Toronto a few years back?:confused: Kind of ironic IMO

Yes.

Antonio Davis, Jerome Williams, Chris Jeffries for Jalen Rose, Donyell Marshall, and Lonny Baxter if I remember correctly?

Anthem
02-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Yuck. I didn't mind the idea of losing Peja if we get something back in a sign-and-trade, but Toronto doesn't have anything worth trading for. Peja's opting out of an 8-mil contract, so he's gonna be looking for 10-12 mil, easy.

I can't even begin to imagine what that S&T package would look like. Alvin Williams, Mo Pete, Charlie Villanueva, and Joey Graham?

rexnom
02-03-2006, 10:42 PM
Yuck. I didn't mind the idea of losing Peja if we get something back in a sign-and-trade, but Toronto doesn't have anything worth trading for. Peja's opting out of an 8-mil contract, so he's gonna be looking for 10-12 mil, easy.

I can't even begin to imagine what that S&T package would look like. Alvin Williams, Mo Pete, Charlie Villanueva, and Joey Graham?

Let's not even go there...plus I don't see why a team under the cap would do a sign and trade. They'll have enough money to sign both a higher tier free agent and, say, Mike James. The sign-and-trade would most likely be to a team like Miami and that's what we should be fearing...shudders at thought of Antoine Walker.

rexnom
02-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Then how do you explain him acquiring a guy that both he and LB have been known to put in the doghouse in the past? Simply for the draft pick? That makes no sense at all.

He's Isiah Thomas? Is that explanation enough?

larry
02-03-2006, 10:56 PM
if they traded the lower pick thats better. i love jalen. larry's going to get the knicks on an upswing. i know l.b. sat rosie in his final year as our coach. he has said it was a mistake. isiah & rose got past whatever trouble they had long ago. j will be good in the nyc!

owl
02-03-2006, 10:58 PM
French,

Partially correct. They can go over the cap to retain his services, but he can walk if he finds another situation more appealing, regardless of whether the Pacers are willing to pay the same price.

MJB

In most case like this I think if you follow the money that is where a
player is 90% likely to go. See Brad Miller for example.

owl

larry
02-03-2006, 11:04 PM
dale>antonio! the year austin blew up was the year a.d. left 4 the pick that became bender. an overall disaster. bender bombed and croshere overpaid.

owl
02-03-2006, 11:06 PM
One advantage the Pacers have over Toronto is the fact that the Pacers
are more likely to be in the playoffs than Toronto. So if the Pacers are
willing to put forth the money I think they have a good chance of retaining
him. It would be nice to see AD for a playoff run if the Pacers can get their
act together for the last 40 games. AD would be a big help in the toughness
department and experience department.

owl

Anthem
02-03-2006, 11:08 PM
They'll have enough money to sign both a higher tier free agent and, say, Mike James.

Yeah, you're right. Nice to dream though.

I'll be clear on this: I like Peja more than I expected to. But if the Raptors offer anywhere close to the max, we'd better not match.

Outlaw
02-03-2006, 11:22 PM
Raptors will probably sign Magloire who is from Canada and has an interest in signing with them.They could use a center to take some of the inside pressure off Bosh.JMO

They already have Graham who should become their small foward along with Mo Pete at the 2.I don't see them giving Peja alot of money when they can draft a 3 if they don't believe Graham is the answer there.:cool:

PacersGuest
02-04-2006, 01:22 AM
Bender and him can reak havoc on the rest of the league!!!!!
:devil:

CableKC
02-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Chicago wants him and his family lives there.....on top of that...they have the money to sign him for the rest of the season.

I wish AD would come back....but I don't think its gonna happen without Bird showing up at ADs door and begging him to come back to Indy for the rest of this season.