PDA

View Full Version : Keys to beating the Pistons

Mr. Pink
02-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Hicks just said that if Peja scores 30, then we might win.

I think if we just get Billiups flustered enough to where he can't run the offense that well...then we might win.

But, that'll be a long shot.

Pacersfan46
02-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Pray?

317Kim
02-03-2006, 03:53 PM
-No sloppy TOs.
-Use EVERY possesion to it's fullest.
-CONVERT! decrease the amount of FG droughts that we might have.
-REBOUND! STAY ON THE GLASS!
-DEFENSE!

Evan_The_Dude
02-03-2006, 03:57 PM
I say we find a way to put Granger on Billups, if that works Billups will have a hard time setting up the offense.

CableKC
02-03-2006, 03:57 PM
My answer is hope that they all miss the bus to Conseco fieldhouse.

bulldog
02-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Our bench has to outplay their bench, cause their starters are too tough to make up ground against.
Keep Chanucey away from the bucket, especially when Runi is in the game.
Outhustle them, since this is a back-to-back for them.
...And, since we don't have an inside game, hope Peja or someone gets hot.

Listen, we have a chance here, they're playing Philly today. I don't know if AI is playing (he's been hurt), but if he is, expect RIP to have tired legs after chasing him and running off screens all night (the Hamilton-Iverson matchup is one of the most entertaining in the NBA). If Rip isn't on, and 'Sheed just jacks up threes as he's prone to do, all you have to do is contain Billups and the running game. But we don't match up well in the backcourt, unfortunately.

Who is even gonna gaurd billups?

efx
02-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Will Jackson play or how long is he out for?

beast23
02-03-2006, 04:30 PM
The only way the Pacers beat the Pistons would be if someone can slip a significant amount of Ex-Lax into their Gatorade.

The only way we beat them this time around is if they are not on the court.

waxman
02-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Clean our defensive boards... don't turn the ball over... hit our 3s... play as a team...don't take 12 seconds to get into our sets.

I'd like to see us do some trapping in the halfcourt with DG and FJ/AJ....on Billups and especially Hamilton..., he will turn it over, although not as much as in the past.

We pretty much have to have a flawless game.

02-03-2006, 04:45 PM
I think if Peja scores 30.. and then does 8pt 8 seconds and then does a buzzer beater... WE MIGHT WIN! :brick:

naptownmenace
02-03-2006, 04:53 PM
-No sloppy TOs.
-Use EVERY possesion to it's fullest.
-CONVERT! decrease the amount of FG droughts that we might have.
-REBOUND! STAY ON THE GLASS!
-DEFENSE!

That's an excellent analysis.

I'll add - FORCE THE TEMPO. Run the fastbreak off long rebounds and steals.

I'm not sure they'll win even if they do force the tempo but they definitely need plenty of easy scoring opportunities.

Raskolnikov
02-03-2006, 04:54 PM
<TABLE width=400><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#003366 face="arial" font><CENTER>SCOUTING REPORT</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></B><CENTER><TABLE width=400 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left><LEFT>http://www.nba.com/media/nba/ind.gif</TD><TD align=middle><B><BIG>PACERS vs. PISTONS</B></BIG>
Saturday, Feb. 4
8:00, Conseco Fieldhouse
TV: FSN RADIO: WIBC-1070 AM
</TD><TD align=right><RIGHT>http://www.nba.com/media/nba/det.gif </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER><HR>PREVIEW
In a particularly cruel irony, the Detroit Pistons come to town, with their ridiculously intact lineup, as if to show the Pacers the difference between what could be and what is.
Since acquiring Rasheed Wallace at the trading deadline during the 2003-04 season, the Pistons have played 148 games. In fully 128 of them, they've started the same five -- Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Rasheed Wallace and Ben Wallace. They've gone 101-27 in those games, a winning percentage of .789. To demonstrate how even the Pistons can be affected by an absence, consider this: in the 20 games that lineup has not been intact, they've gone 7-13. "They're the example of what can happen when a team can stay together and be healthy with the same lineup," said Scot Pollard. "Look at their consistency and productivity over the years. Two years ago we're a 61-win team. We're the best team in the league going into the playoffs and we have guys injured down the stretch and we don't play to our potential in the playoffs. Then, last year and this year you could really say that is the example of lineup consistency and lineup inconsistency and what can happen."
Which brings us to the Pacers, who are looking at their 21st lineup of the season because yet another starter, Stephen Jackson, is injured. Jackson, the only player who had started every game this season, bruised his left hip in a hard fall to the floor against the Lakers Wednesday night. Though he did do some light work at practice Friday, Coach Rick Carlisle described his status as "very, very questionable."
Austin Croshere missed practice with a concussion and will not play against the Pistons. He'll be re-evaluated Monday. Sarunas Jasikevicius, a possible fill-in for Jackson, is battling a back strain while recovering from a sprained ankle. And then there are the longer-term absences of Jermaine O'Neal (groin) and Jamaal Tinsley (right elbow) to deal with.
"We feel like if we can get our whole team together we can make a run," said Carlisle. "We're going to have to make a run with the guys we have available. As much as it's been some other things the last couple of years, it's been health issues that have held us back so getting healthy is a priority.
"Continuity and good health are the main ingredients to being successful, if you really break it down. Sometimes you have to deal with situations that come your way. Detroit, however many games those guys have had the same lineup, if you get that kind of continuity with that caliber of players and you're going to have great results. That's a motivated group and they've got a lot to play for this year and that's one of the reasons you're seeing them establish a level of excellence we haven't seen probably in a decade." <HR>TRENDS
Individual - Peja Stojakovic has averaged 21.5 points and 8.0 rebounds in two games with the Pacers. ... Jeff Foster had his third double-double of the season (15 points, 13 rebounds) against the Lakers Wednesday night. ... Danny Granger has averaged 15.0 points and 10.8 rebounds with three double-doubles in the last four games. ... David Harrison has gone 8-of-33 from the free-throw line (.242) in the last 10. ... Jackson has shot 37.1 percent overall and 25.8 percent from the arc in the last nine. ... Fred Jones has averaged 14.4 points in the last 21. ... The Pacers are 13-3 when they outrebound their opponent, 9-19 otherwise. ... They're 15-6 when they make at least seven 3-pointers, 7-16 otherwise. ... The reserves have averaged 37.9 points in the last 17 games. <HR>KEY MATCHUP
How Carlisle opts to replace Jackson will be crucial, because that player must contend with relentless Richard Hamilton. Fred Jones seems the logical choice but Carlisle has been very reluctant to mess with his success as a Sixth Man. Jasikevicius has played some shooting guard but even at full strength would struggle to keep up with Hamilton. Could Carlisle combine Peja Stojakovic and Danny Granger at shooting guard and small forward to match Detroit's length? As we've seen this season, anything's possible. <HR>INJURIES
Pacers - G Stephen Jackson (hip) is questionable; F Austin Croshere (concussion), F Jermaine O'Neal (groin) and G Jamaal Tinsley (elbow) are out.
Pistons - G Lindsey Hunter (ankle) is out.
<HR>

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/preview.html

EDIT: I highlighted a couple of things worth highlighting.

rexnom
02-03-2006, 05:02 PM
I think if we win the battle of the boards we have a more than decent shot.

Shamboubou
02-03-2006, 05:06 PM
If we play like we did against the Lakers we can beat Detroit. We have to share the ball though. Swing the ball and find the open man for an easy basket. We can't settle for well defended jumpshots.

We have to play tough D and fight for every rebound. You find a way to contain Billups than we will be ok. We have the power to outscore them.

Kstat
02-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Here's the key-and if your coaches are going their homework, they'll know this:

Don't switch best defender on Billups.

Most teams make that mistake, and it backfires.

Billups in the 1st half DOESNT TRY TO SCORE. He conserves energy, and looks to set others up to score, which is only made easier when a good defender is too busy trying to contain him.

In the 2nd half, Billups goes all-out and tries to take over offensively. Problem is, his legs are so much fresher, that he has an advantage over pretty much anyone that tries to guard him.

Shade
02-03-2006, 05:28 PM
I just don't want a blowout. I really don't want to see DD out there in a Pistons uniform.

Kstat
02-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Dale's been sick lately, he probably wont play anyway.

Hicks
02-03-2006, 05:36 PM
What great reporting we get in Indy. Did anyone have ANY idea Sarunas was hurt before this? I sure didn't. God damnit.

rexnom
02-03-2006, 05:38 PM
What great reporting we get in Indy. Did anyone have ANY idea Sarunas was hurt before this? I sure didn't. God damnit.

Either it's an excuse for his bad play of late or it is a legit reason for his bad play.

scar
02-03-2006, 05:39 PM
I can't wait til the fourth quarter when Detroit plays their reserves against our res..... starters.

Moses
02-03-2006, 05:40 PM
He'll still be playing.

NorCal_Pacerfan
02-03-2006, 05:43 PM
If we can hold our own and not get blown out, I'll be mildly ok with it.

Hicks
02-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Either it's an excuse for his bad play of late or it is a legit reason for his bad play.

I'm going to go with legit reason. Yeah, yeah I get some stupid label like "cabbage patch kid" or some equally juvinille crap, but if this was meant to be an excuse, we would have heard it from the Pacers already. But we didn't hear a word.

Raskolnikov
02-03-2006, 05:53 PM
That's why I highlighted it.

Hicks
02-03-2006, 05:54 PM
And I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

I would have skipped it otherwise.

shags
02-03-2006, 06:00 PM
I think it may come down to which team controls the backboards. The Pistons are primarily a jump shooting team. They rank something like 28th in points in the paint. Tomorrow will be the Pistons 4th game in 5 nights, and jump shots tend to come up short with tired legs. The Pistons are much more athletic on the frontline, but if Pollard, Foster, Harrison, etc. can keep the Wallaces and McDyess (especially Ben) from dominating the glass, the Pacers have a good chance of winning.

Hicks
02-03-2006, 06:03 PM
I just headed to Pacers.com and it wasn't until then that I realized the report above was actually FROM them. I figured it was from pistons.com, which as I recall regularly has scouting reports.

Bah.

FreshPrince22
02-03-2006, 06:11 PM
1. Hope Philly takes them down to the wire tonight. (they're awful on b2bs, this is a 4th in 5 nights on top of it)
2. Offensive rebound the hell out of the ball.
3. Guard the 3 point line like crazy.

Lord Helmet
02-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Just don't get embarrassed. Please.

stipo
02-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Just don't get embarrassed. Please.
At this point, I'm not really sure getting beaten by 30 by the Pistons would be particularly surprising or embarrassing to the home team. On the other hand, ANYTHING can happen. If the Pacers shoot an unbelievable number and rebound....

Gyron
02-03-2006, 07:08 PM
I think in order to won against the pistons, we need to score more points than them. But I could be wrong. Btown, whats your analysis on that point of conjecture?

rexnom
02-03-2006, 07:30 PM
I think in order to won against the pistons, we need to score more points than them. But I could be wrong. Btown, whats your analysis on that point of conjecture?

Wow, that was almost Maddenesque.

sweabs
02-05-2006, 01:28 AM
After this game, a couple things come to mind.

Their bench still needs a lot of work, in my opinion. Your starters are going to get tired, or going to get in foul trouble, and it's up to your bench to step up in those circumstances. They certainly have the best starting 5 in basketball, but would it be fair to say the bench has been a little inconsistent at times?

The other thing - you need to attack Rip Hamilton when he's on defense. He's the weakest of the defenders on their team, by far. Post him up - especially when you have a bigger SG like Jackson. For some reason, the help-side defense just wasn't there all night when Jackson was taking Rip in the low block.