PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Scenes of Artest Trade

able
02-03-2006, 11:42 AM
ABC Series Follows Maloofs Behind the Scenes of Artest Trade
Written for the web by Jason Kobely, Internet News Producer

http://www.news10.net/storyfull2.aspx?storyid=15712

Sacramento Kings fans are about to get a real behind-the-scenes look at all the inner workers of last month's on, then off, then on again trade that brought Ron Artest out west.

This week's edition of the new ABC series "NBA Access with Ahmad Rashad" follows Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof over the turbulent two days it took to make the blockbuster deal happen. Camera crews with the NBA-produced program caught the highs, lows and general confusion as the top-secret trade to send Peja Stojakovic to the Indiana Pacers for Artest appeared to be completed, then imploded before the stunned owners' eyes, only to be resurrected a day later.

The brothers were at the NBA's Secaucus, New Jersey, offices giving television interviews promoting the series in the tense hours as the trade negotiations were being finalized. The cameras were rolling as excitement over the deal turned sour when Gavin Maloof learned in a phone call that Artest wasn't interested in coming to Sacramento.

"When I looked over and saw [Gavin's] face, I said uh, oh, we have a problem," Joe Maloof said.

"They agreed. We agreed. We thought it was a done deal," Gavin Maloof said. Upon learning the trade had struck a potentially fatal snag, he said, "I just buckled."

However, negotiations the next day smoothed out Artest's concerns and cameras were there to see the Maloofs' welcome the forward to the Kings' family in Boston.

The Maloofs are two of the featured participants in "NBA Access", which chronicles the lives of today's larger-than-life NBA stars, coaches and owners. In addition to the Maloofs, the program this season also spotlights players Shaquille O'Neal, Richard Jefferson, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul and Dwight Howard as well as coaches Mike D'Antoni and George Karl.

"NBA Access with Ahmad Rashad" airs Saturday at 3 p.m. on News10.

Harmonica
02-03-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm so glad that the Maloofs weren't smart enough to see that Ron's initial protest about going to the Kings was just the tip of the iceberg of things to come. I'm so glad Ron is their problem now.

Hicks
02-03-2006, 12:38 PM
When is that show on eastern time? I'll try to DVR it so I can get a digital copy online later.

PacerMan
02-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Welcome to the Dr.Jeckyl and Mr. Artest show Sacramento!!!!!