PDA

View Full Version : Trusting Open Offense?

BillS
02-02-2006, 08:05 AM
Being in the UK for the last and next week and not having the time or energy to find a place to watch games (and, frankly, not having the energy to stay up if I did), I'm getting my info from forum analyses and Indystar articles.

Reading through what people have said about the Lakers game, it sounds like this group of players is executing a more open game, though Rick is still concerned about decision-making.

My thought is that we lose our heavy selfish streak when Jax goes out and that was one of the major decision issues.

Do you think that this player mix is more trustworthy regarding an open offense and making good decisions? Why or why not?

I'm thinking things like Saras' ball handling, our streaky outside shooting and lack of a consistent inside presence, etc.

What do you think?

Unclebuck
02-02-2006, 08:43 AM
Rick trusts AJ, he is always saying that AJ has a good idea of what the team needs to do and when to run and when to set things up

What the pacers need is a very good point guard that Rick likes and trusts and i think he'll turn the riens over. Saras ain't it and niether is Tinsley

able
02-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Rick trusts AJ, he is always saying that AJ has a good idea of what the team needs to do and when to run and when to set things up

What the pacers need is a very good point guard that Rick likes and trusts and i think he'll turn the riens over. Saras ain't it and niether is Tinsley

UB, we all know your feelings on Tins, but let's face one reality: He's the best PG on this team and he has all of Rick's confidence, so much that he has been returning way to early every time again from his injuries.
Last time it was announced they would be bringing him slowly, well if 36 minutes is slow, then what is fast, 48 ?

Rick has more faith in Tins then even in AJ, and that says a lot.

jcouts
02-02-2006, 11:00 AM

neither was Billups...

foulplay
02-02-2006, 11:25 AM
I am not a Jackson fan at all, but I was impressed with one thing he did last night. He was not hitting anything from the outside so he started taking the ball to the hole. I was impressed with that and was yelling at Freddie to do the same.
We do need a pg with exceptional ball handling skills and speed to be a successful team.

beast23
02-02-2006, 11:41 AM
We do need a pg with exceptional ball handling skills and speed to be a successful team..... and if Peja is here to stay, then our PG must be a defender as well.

Peck
02-02-2006, 02:58 PM
UB, we all know your feelings on Tins, but let's face one reality: He's the best PG on this team and he has all of Rick's confidence, so much that he has been returning way to early every time again from his injuries.
Last time it was announced they would be bringing him slowly, well if 36 minutes is slow, then what is fast, 48 ?

Rick has more faith in Tins then even in AJ, and that says a lot.

The caveat to this statement is/has been/always will be that when Jamaal is healthy he is the best p.g. on the team.

Right now Ed Gill is a better p.g.

I am even beggining to wonder though how well J.T. will do in a passing game. If you would have asked me two years ago I would have said he would have thrived in it. If you asked me last season I would have said he would be good at it. Ask me now & I say I wonder how he will do in it.

He really has taken to "checking the air in the ball" as Kellogg likes to say.

Moses
02-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Playing an open offensive game would allow Tinsley to use his strengths to his advantages. He is definitely the most potent in a fast break type offense. We allow teams to set up camp defensively effectively taking out any immediate inside passing lanes and blocking up the lane for Tinsley to drive. I would like to see a fast break style offense when it's necessary to run it. Basically I wouldn't mind seeing us run alot of fast break in the 1st half and once we get the lead just sit on it with slow grind it out possessions like we do right now. I think Tinsley would average 16 PPG+ and 10 APG+ if he played on an offensively minded team like the Suns.

Anthem
02-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but before last year's 26ppg spree, would anyone have ever called Jamaal a scoring point guard?

Kegboy
02-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Everybody knocked Jack for his 5 turnovers, but he had 4 assists, which is high for him. I think Freddie had 4 turnovers and 3 assists. It's just a byproduct of running, plain and simple.

Tim
02-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Everybody knocked Jack for his 5 turnovers, but he had 4 assists, which is high for him. I think Freddie had 4 turnovers and 3 assists. It's just a byproduct of running, plain and simple.

Its also why Rick isn't in love with a lot of running and ball movement, this team isn't that consistently good at it even without JO on the floor.

Los Angeles
02-02-2006, 05:44 PM
I don't get it. It's been said many times that Rick hates turnovers and that's the main reason he likes AJ and also why he likes "tempo control." (aside - this is a stupid term because tempo control used to mean "play at the speed we want to" now it just means "slow as a rock on flat ground.")

We've been playing Ricks slow style with a virtually turnoverless AJ for a while now.

OK - I've heard this line of logic for months, maybe even years.

So we should have a low turn over rate, right? Wrong. we average nearly 16 (15.8) turnovers every single game. That's 4 turnovers every single quarter. I don't htink that's anything to write home about.