PDA

View Full Version : Yet another post about the Pistons game...

Peck
04-05-2004, 04:28 AM
Sorry for starting yet another thread, but I'm doing it anyway.

First & formost let's give credit to the Pistons. They put on one hell of a fourth quarter, absolutely smothering defense that we could not penetrate. They simply played better than we did.

So what I want to say next is meant to be no disrespect to the Pistons or their fans, but after watching this game I will join Chauncey Billups in saying this. I want them.

As I said quarter four was outstanding, the defense was superb. However for the three quarter before that was not so much great defense as it was just our players not hitting shots that they have hit all season long. Did you see O'Neal miss open shot after shot? He certainly wasn't shooting outside of his range for the most part. He was just missing.

Kenny Anderson was missing layups!!!! He missed several shots that he has been automatic on all season long.

Again, no disrespect for the Pistons here, but those shots that those players missed had nothing to do with defense. They were just missed shots.

Anybody who doesn't think Jamaal would not have had a big impact on the today just hasn't watched that many games. Forget for a min. about his ability to get the ball across the mid-court, it is his ability to make Reggie Miller part of the offense that I missed yesterday.

Does anybody remember my early year posts where I griped on & on about lack of backcourt scoring? Remember the stats I showed that if the backcourt didn't score above 28 points we lost most of the time? Notice how those posts stopped when Jamaal was insterted into the lineup?

He just brings a differant dimension to the floor & opens up the court for all of our players.

I knew that once that we resorted to Ron Artest bringing the ball the length of the court we were in deep crap. There was zero ball movement the three time he did that.

Here's the sad part, I don't even blame him for doing it. Johnson is so God awfull vs. the full court press that I was hoping to have Scot Pollard bring it up on occasion.

Ron was off of his game yesterday. Foul trouble took him out early but his emotions got the better of him as the day went on. I would not look for him to have a repeat of that.

Why the hell did Jeff Foster play so few min? He was being very affective the time he was on the court. Why did Scot Pollard play at all? God I hope this isn't a sign that Carlisle is going to force feed him into the lineup for the playoffs.

Croshere was useless & I like Croshere.

Fred Jones wasted valuable oxygen on the floor.

Actually, now that I think about it, other than Foster I don't think that there was one Pacer that played worth a crap.

Credit some of that to the Pistons, but not all of it.

Being so pessimistic about the game has led me to be optomistic about a future matchup. I just don't believe they had that much to do with Jermaine sucking & Jamaal not being there.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying it will be a cakewalk nor am I even predicting a win. I just think we can compete a lot better than we did yesterday.

However on somewhat of a down note. Jermaine has griped all season long about not getting national exposure. We get it, at least regionally, & this is how we respond.

BTW, you'll notice I didn't mention Bender. If he gives us anything it will be a bonus, but I don't see how anybody can count on him for anything. In particular vs. a physical team like the Pistons.

Am I the only person who felt like Eldon Campbell played 48 min. yesterday?

My two biggest fears vs. Detroit are these.

1. Larry Brown. If we weren't on the recieving end of that fourth quarter it would have been a beautifull thing to watch.

2. Physical & mental toughness.

Kstat
04-05-2004, 04:34 AM
Elden Campbell has become the whipping boy for Pistons fans this year with his lazy and inconsistent play. However, this is the THIRD game out of four that he has been effective against Indiana. He causes matchup problems simply because neither JO nor Foster can match his size and bulk in the paint.

I saw Carlisle go to Pollard a LOT tonight, because our bench brings two 7-footers that can score (Okur, Campbell), and the Pacers just don't have that kind of size off the bench. Playing elden also allows Okur to shift to power forward, where I also noticed Al Harrington is a bit too small to bother his jumpers.

TheSauceMaster
04-05-2004, 05:04 AM
Excuse me If I repeat myself from some of the other Pistons vs Pacers Threads .

Okay it 's pretty typical That a team within the last 5-10 to try and practice playoff rotations and I think Rick was doing alittle of that , mind you I am only guessing as I can't read Ricks mind lately as he has done some crap that amazes me but he's the coach and he get's the big bucks not me.

I have to disagree though the only Pacer player who showed up with the game face and the attitude was Ron Artest he scored 16 btw in 24 mins of play :) The Mistake Ron made was trying to be Superman and throw the whole team on his back and I know his intentions were goood as ROn can inspire players to play better . The only player I seen show emotion was Ron Artest , if you seen Ron throughout the game you could see the frustration , ROn was so frustrated that he ditched outta the locker room before the media could get into the locker room after the game and I am sortta glad he did cause I feel Ron may have said somethings he would later regret .

Commenting on the 3 times Ron brought the ball up and tried to run the offense if you go back and watch that you will see Ron spent more time Pointing and yelling at his teammates , than setting up the plays ...I seen alot of Pacers standing around with there thumbs up there asses , so basically no movement and we all know that no movement means a poor shot or possiabel turnover.

I guess no matter how you slice it it was just a poor effort as a team and if we could have had 2-3 more players who played like ron did we probably could have won , I mean points scoring of course , because you arent gonna win a game by only having 1 player in double digits for scoring and expect to win a game.

Peck
04-05-2004, 05:16 AM
Excuse me If I repeat myself from some of the other Pistons vs Pacers Threads .

Okay it 's pretty typical That a team within the last 5-10 to try and practice playoff rotations and I think Rick was doing alittle of that , mind you I am only guessing as I can't read Ricks mind lately as he has done some crap that amazes me but he's the coach and he get's the big bucks not me.

I have to disagree though the only Pacer player who showed up with the game face and the attitude was Ron Artest he scored 16 btw in 24 mins of play :) The Mistake Ron made was trying to be Superman and throw the whole team on his back and I know his intentions were goood as ROn can inspire players to play better . The only player I seen show emotion was Ron Artest , if you seen Ron throughout the game you could see the frustration , ROn was so frustrated that he ditched outta the locker room before the media could get into the locker room after the game and I am sortta glad he did cause I feel Ron may have said somethings he would later regret .

Commenting on the 3 times Ron brought the ball up and tried to run the offense if you go back and watch that you will see Ron spent more time Pointing and yelling at his teammates , than setting up the plays ...I seen alot of Pacers standing around with there thumbs up there asses , so basically no movement and we all know that no movement means a poor shot or possiabel turnover.

I guess no matter how you slice it it was just a poor effort as a team and if we could have had 2-3 more players who played like ron did we probably could have won , I mean points scoring of course , because you arent gonna win a game by only having 1 player in double digits for scoring and expect to win a game.

We'll just agree to disagree.

I don't care who it is. Allen Iverson, Jalen Rose, Ron Artest, Stephon Marburry, whoever.

What you guys call passion, fire, grit, whatever, I call emotional immaturity.

Dribbling the ball from basket to basket & never passing it is not what I like to see in a team basketball game. If I'm watching the Ruckers, maybe. But not the Pacers.

What you saw was him yelling for player movement I saw as him trying to get spacing so he could drive the ball.

It's even in today's star that Ron was yelling at Rick during the fourth quarter & had to foul because he was out of position. Again, you may call that "will to win" I call it a character flaw.

But I do not want to make this a debate about Ron. He is not the fault we lost today. I even said I didn't blame him for driving the length of the court with the ball.

I still think Jeff Foster is the only player who played worth a crap, but hey it's just my opinion.

Unclebuck
04-05-2004, 09:09 AM
Pollard: At this point I don't ask much from him nor do I expect hardly anything. But the reason why I was so frustrated with him yesterday and the reason Carlisle took him out and put in Primo for a few minutes is because he did not keep Campbell off the offensive boards. That is one thing he should be able to do.

Artest: Peck, I understand what you are saying and in a normal game, yes Ronnie tried to do too much, but this was not a normal game, none of the Pacers set plays were working and when that happens you need someone who can create something out of nothing, Ronnie was only player the Pacers had yesterday who had a chance at doing so.

Peck, I don't think you are giving the Pistons defense enough credit as I said in one of my other posts, Larry Brown must be in heaven with this team right now because they are capable of playing defense exactly the way he wants to.

Peck
04-05-2004, 09:16 AM
Pollard: At this point I don't ask much from him nor do I expect hardly anything. But the reason why I was so frustrated with him yesterday and the reason Carlisle took him out and put in Primo for a few minutes is because he did not keep Campbell off the offensive boards. That is one thing he should be able to do.

Artest: Peck, I understand what you are saying and in a normal game, yes Ronnie tried to do too much, but this was not a normal game, none of the Pacers set plays were working and when that happens you need someone who can create something out of nothing, Ronnie was only player the Pacers had yesterday who had a chance at doing so.

Peck, I don't think you are giving the Pistons defense enough credit as I said in one of my other posts, Larry Brown must be in heaven with this team right now because they are capable of playing defense exactly the way he wants to.

Pollard wasn't keeping Billups off of the boards let alone Campbell.

Artest: I wish I would never have said anything about him in this game. Let me restate for everybody. I do NOT have a problem with Ron trying to make something from nothing yesterday. Nobody was getting it done, so he felt the need to. I'm fine with that. However it is the fact that he needed to that bothered me.

Pistons defense: I'm not sure as to what you want from me on this. In the fourth quarter I saw probably the best quarter of defense since, well since the mid 90's when we played defense like that. However I still feel that Detroit had nothing to do with J.O. missing wide open shots, with Kenny Anderson missing layups, with our entire offense being stagnated because the engine to our machine (Jamaal) was not there. They never would have had such shot clock problems with J.T. on the floor, plus Reggie gets the ball in scoring position & not being forced to jack up 6 three point shots.

But again, the fourth quarter was brilliant. Could we have beaten that 4th quarter if we had everybody healthy & playing well? You & I had better beleive they could. Or are you going to concede them the title?

I'm not.

Hell as a matter of fact I wish we could go play them again this week with everybody back.

BillS
04-05-2004, 09:23 AM
Hell as a matter of fact I wish we could go play them again this week with everybody back.

I definitely agree with that.

Screw the rest of the playoffs, let's get straight to the ECF and GET IT ON.

Unclebuck
04-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Peck, I am not conceeding the title to anyone. Pacers will have homecourt advantage and I think that could be the only difference between the Pacers and Pistons.

Starters v starters the Pacers do just fine, the bench I worry about