PDA

View Full Version : Odd thoughts about kicking some Laker....

Peck
02-02-2006, 02:17 AM
@ss!!!!!!!!!!

Let me set the stage for you for one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Ok, it's like mid-way threw the fourth quarter & the Lakers have had the living crap kicked out of them.

My section is filled with the Purple people eaters & they are all glum & dour looking. To my left is a family that looks as though they had just lost the family fortune on a bad betting tip, behind me is a younger group of 20 somethings that were just p!ssed beyond belief that the refs. were screwing Kobe time after time.

But in the sea of all of this lonelyness & despair a bright beacon emerges.

Honest to God, the Lakers are getting killed but Kobe does a spin move & delivers a scoop shot that goes in & this one young gentleman at the mid-court line second row from the floor gets up & dances.

Honest to God Dances, full fledged side to side motion with gyrations & everything. :bananadan It was the greatest thing I've ever seen in my life.

I guess everybody went home happy. He got to see Kobe do a move & I got to see the Pacers decimate the Lakers. Ok, maybe everybody didn't go home happy, that family to my left looked very upset as they were leaving.:happy:

Let's not kid oursevles though. We caught the Lakers in a perfect storm of events.

1. Kobe missed some shots that he often times hits even when there are 2-3 defenders hanging off of him.

2. We were hitting our shots.

3. We were hitting our shots.

Any of the above change & we could easily be looking at loss # 7, btw did I mention we hit our shots?

But when you've lost as many games as we had we just needed a break & thank God we finally got one.

BTW, before I get to far along can I make a statement? Well to bad if you didn't want one cause I'm doing it anyway.;)

Am I the only person who thinks that five years in the future the battle between David Harrison & Andrew Bynam in the paint will be a war?

These are two big guys who are true centers, not power forwards holding down the center spot. D@mn that Bynum is only 18..... I see Kareem is working with him, now if only we could get some form of post player to tutor David Harrison.

Anyway let's move on.

Righ up front I want to admit to being wrong. Yip I said it I was wrong (See Anthem it can be said) :duck:

I will admit now that I do not closely follow W.C. basketball & only see the teams when they play us or a few times a year I'll catch an odd game or I will see them in the playoffs.

So I was not familiar with Peja at all, other than what everybody knew. That is, I knew he could shoot.

I had no idea how good of a rebounder he was. Now I understand he isn't going to lead our team every night in boards but wow I was more than a little suprised. Also was it my imagination or did he seem to make Lamar Odam irrelevant?

You guys that know him pretty well, I guess if any Kings fans are reading or Chauncey or Kstat or other visiting team friends are reading this, is he really a good rebounder or was that just an anomoly?

To me, besides the fact that we were hitting our shots (well everybody but Saras anyway) the fact that we dominated the boards is what won the game for us.

This is the first time all year that I have felt like when a shot went up if it was missed it was ours.

We ruled.

Well I guess I should start some form of team thoughts now.

I'll start with Rick Carlisle. Everybody hates the slow half-court grind it out offense that we have played for the past three seasons. Well, everybody but U.B. that is:tongue:

Last night he went back to the drawing board & gave us a new set of plays, an entire new defensive scheme & most of all he changed the offensive positions so that our team had a chance to get "O" boards.

Just when I'm ready to say "kick him to the curb" he comes out & changes things proving that he is not a one dimensional coach.

Let's just be honest, when J.O. is there he goes to that offense because it plays best to the best player on our team. On most nights it works & in the playoffs it will be essential to do this. But it doesn't have to be the only way.

There is no reason to not mix up the plays in the future even when J.O. comes back.

I think Carlisle's defenseive schemes on Kobe is the best we've seen all season long. Now we would have been burnt had any other Laker been able to do anything but since they didn't it's all good.:bgroovy:

So, IMO, game ball goes to Rick on this one. Sure there were some outstanding players in this game but it was the game plan that worked to perfection on this night.

Peja was out of this world good. My European friends when you talk about the best Euro player I don't know how it can even be close. To use the young people's vocabulary "Peja is da *****"!!!! I am now being forced to rethink my entire thoughts about the teams direction. I still have questions I want answered but the first two games from Peja have gone a ways in easing my thoughts a little.

Don't let me fool you, I know we just won a big game so I am not going to get to up after this. But I'll just say this, Peja is a ton better than I ever expected.

Jeff Foster. Ok, here goes. Uncle Buck you will want to sit down for this one.
For the rest of the season until J.O. comes back I think it would be best if we started Jeff Foster at the power forward spot even when Austin comes back at 100%. I think Jeff is better on the floor with Peja & will provide more things we need when they play together over Austin. This doesn't mean Austin shouldn't play, it just means that at P.F. Jeff should be there for now.

I've come to one conclusion after seeing Jeff in there with both Pollard & Harrison. Jeff is not a center. Now I know we've said this for years but it is never more apperant than now by just watching thier body structures & the way they play the game that Harrison & Pollard are true centers while Jeff is a great powerforward.

In fact, God I can't beleive I'm about to say this, Jeff is everything we need in the powerforward spot right now along side Peja.

I never want to see him in there with O'neal, EVER. But along side of either Pollard or Harrison he is a d@mn good player. Didn't I like him along side Dale last season? I think I did.

He had a monster game btw. Every bit as important as Peja's. When he pulled up & hit that 18' jumper I threw my hands up in a three point shot stance. Cause for Jeff that was a three.

Jeff was everything I ever want Jeff to be in that game. You will here zero complaints from me about him in this game.

Fred Jones. Once Jax left Fred's eye's lit up. Then after a while Fred decided he was doing so well he would now help the Lakers as well by turning the ball over on 3 consecutive possesions.:spy: He was also a member of the gang of guards for Kobe & he did a great job on him. He picked him clean & everybody in that fieldhouse new it. Kobe looked the fool. He also force him into some stupid shots one of which I couldn't beleive he took.

Fred had a great game.

Danny Granger: Every day in every way he has become my favorite Pacer. The light has somehow turned on now inside his head about being able to shoot. I now expect him to make about anything he takes.

We should all get down on our knees everyday & thank God for dropping Danny in our laps. He made Ron expendable. That's right I said it. Even if Peja doesn't sign with us next season I still believe talent wise we will only be slightly behind but once you add in character wise we are miles & miles ahead.

Dan blew two dunks last night that had my fat @ss up halfway out of my seat ready to explode. Sadly he missed both. Well, maybe it's not such a bad thing as I would have given our young friend in the second row a run for his money in dancing. However fat people should not dance.:fatbanana So thank God Danny missed those.

This guy was in the face of everybody on defense & I don't care what they say he blocked Bynom clean twice. He also was a member of the gang of Bryant defenders & he frustrated Kobe a lot.

Danny was great.

David Harrison. One d@mn rebound, is it to much to ask????? Of course as the final tic goes off of the clock he grabs the 10th board of the game for him. Sadly it doesn't count.

He had a good solid respectable game. That sounds like a let down compared to the others above & it's not meant to be. He was important to this win. But I think this is the kind of progression that we as fans are looking for from him. Yes he got a little hot under the collar & got a "T" but after he came out & calmed down he came back in & played a solid game.

He is a space eater in the post & you cannot teach that. It's size & you either have it or you don't. BTW, Bynum also has this. His blocked shots in the 4th quarter were great & he fought in the paint all night long.

A good solid game by David.

Anthony Johnson. A.J. ran a good tight ship. There were a lot of problems on inbounds after baskets because obviously nobody knew who was supposed to stay back & help A.J. & a couple of times he got very aggrivated about it. But here is the one thing that should come as a suprise to everybody. The Lakers attempted to full court press A.J. & he broke it every time. Not once did he get an 8 sec. count or any kind of backcourt violations. This is real progression btw. He shot when he needed to, he passed where he was supposed to & he also was a member of the gang of Kobe defenders. He did a good job as well vs. Bryant.

His driving dunk really caught the Lakers off guard. Good game A.J.

Scot Pollard. He started the game like a ball of fire. His pass to a cutting Jax on the baseline had me thinking of Sac. back in thier glory days. But as the game went on I think his back started to bother him. But he set the tone early on & I absolutely loved it when he & Jeff were in there together.

On the post game show Kevin Lee pretty much said that unless he signs for the vet. min. he was not going to be here next season. I wonder if he will retire? But either way when he has had a chance to play he has played very admirably for our team since the brawl last year.

Saras. Um.... well can somebody tell me something. How can he be so good and not be able to break a full court press without passing out? I thought he played ok, but the Lakers really zero'd in on him whenever he was dribbling the ball. Obviously the scouting report on him is to try & make him pickup his dribble & to press him in the back court.

He wasn't horrid, well he was horrid from the floor but everybody has nights like that, but I just didn't think he played that well overall.

I'm sure he'll bounce back next game.

Now to some odds & ends.

Did anybody else see Kobe & Lamar Odom arguing on the bench during the third quarter? It was right after Lamar held Jeff down from the floor when Carlisle ran onto the floor to complain (how he didn't get a "T" for that I'll never know). Anyway as they went to the bench Lamar & Kobe were yelling at each other & a little bald coach for the Lakers (I have no idea who he is) had to step in between them & calm Lamar down.

Also our unofficial pacemate in section 2 wasn't there. I don't know what happened to her.

Now to our Detroit fans in the audiance, if any of you bother to read this.

Your team got two of the biggest compliments that our team can give them after this game.

1. When they announced the next home game they just said "the Detroit Pistons". That doesn't sound like much but every other team gets thier stars name or names said. Example "next home game is vs. Kobe Bryant & the Lakers" or "Next home game is vs. LaBron James & the Cavs." They just said " The next home game is against the Detroit Pistons".

Take that as a compliment.

2. Mark Boyle in his post game comments said that everybody should come out to the game. Not because the Pacers need the support or because it's a tough divisional rival or even because of our historys.

He said to come see the Detroit Pistons because (& correct me if I'm wrong here Mark) "the Pistons are a joy to watch".

Also take that as a compliment.

To my Laker friends out there (Hi chauncey) let me say this. I love Andrew Bynum. I only wish we had a Jabbar for Harrison. I am envious.

Great game all.

Oh yeah I forgot one thing. Sitting down along the visitor basket in his old seat I saw JOneal7, he was repping his Pacers pride by wearing a Bryant #8 jersey & ah purple Lakers hat. Of course the hat had a sidways crook to it. ;) Anyways I haven't seen him since he was thrown out last season.

Now let's end with some dancing fruit. :mango: :pineapple :cucumber: :apple: :dorange: :bdance: :bananadan

Stojakovic
02-02-2006, 02:22 AM
Holy ish man, you just posted the longest post I have ever seen !

Peja is definitely not a good rebounder...at least not a 13 rpg kind of guy ;) Split that in half and you'll have Peja at a good rebounding night...but maybe I'm wrong, the Pacers are much more defensive minded than the Kings ever were, so that might make a bit of a difference.

HOWEVER, Peja can be better than he was offensively tonight (if he returns to 2002 Peja, he'll be better on a regular basis). I think that he definitely has more to show on offense than he did tonight, even if he scored 26.

Raskolnikov
02-02-2006, 02:53 AM

You thought that was long? That's about a standard Peck game analysis and he wasn't even trying yet.

Nice read, Peck. I always enjoy the dancing fruit.

waterjater
02-02-2006, 03:24 AM
I'll start with Rick Carlisle. Everybody hates the slow half-court grind it out offense that we have played for the past three seasons. Well, everybody but U.B. that is:tongue:

Last night he went back to the drawing board & gave us a new set of plays, an entire new defensive scheme & most of all he changed the offensive positions so that our team had a chance to get "O" boards.

Just when I'm ready to say "kick him to the curb" he comes out & changes things proving that he is not a one dimensional coach.

Let's just be honest, when J.O. is there he goes to that offense because it plays best to the best player on our team. On most nights it works & in the playoffs it will be essential to do this. But it doesn't have to be the only way.

There is no reason to not mix up the plays in the future even when J.O. comes back.

Lets just hope and pray he'll mix the plays up when JO returns, otherwise we return to a one dimensional team with nobody in position to rebound.

Why not attack on offense and play stellar defense?? Score 100 and hold the opposition under 90! Works for me.

Fun game to watch....LOVED Freddie Jones posterized dunk over Mihm...even his missed reverse ally oop was cool!

Water

Harmonica
02-02-2006, 03:46 AM
I read almost every word. Seriously, Peck, how long did it take you to write that?

Will Galen
02-02-2006, 04:03 AM

That's nothing! You ought to have seen the novelettes Peck and Foretaz were writing to each other last year. (grin)

Seriously it took ten minutes to just read some of their posts, and if you got behind it was a daunting task to catch up.

Will Galen
02-02-2006, 04:06 AM
I read almost every word. Seriously, Peck, how long did it take you to write that?

Good question Harm!

Yeah Peck, did you pick the name Peck because you hunt and Peck?

Will Galen
02-02-2006, 04:11 AM
One question Peck, how come no report on Jax?

sixthman
02-02-2006, 04:56 AM
Has Mel Daniels left the Pacers? We should be so lucky if young David learns to play as well as Mel did.

owl
02-02-2006, 06:18 AM
The concern is that once JO comes back that the offense will revolve around
him which I think is a mistake for this team. My question is, is Peja
the best offensive option on the team now even with JO back?
If so, should not the offense revolve around Peja? I believe this would be
a good thing for the Pacers. Other than his ability to shoot I love the way
Peja moves around the court to get his shots. Brings back memories of
#31.

owl

02-02-2006, 07:34 AM
Did u wrote all that by yourself??? :-o

Unclebuck
02-02-2006, 07:47 AM
I forget a few of the point I wanted to make.

Whenever AJ went to the bench the Pacers struggled. Saras has trouble against good defensive point guards, whether they pick him up full court or just pressure him in the halfcourt. He can never be anything more than a backup point guard unless the shooting guard is the point guard.

As I was watching Jeff Foster last night I was too nervous (about his back)to even realize he had a great game. I was shocked to learn he had 15 and 13, seemed like a normal game from Jeff, but it now seems better than that

able
02-02-2006, 07:58 AM
Peck, tremendous read as usual, don't ever stop doing these, or I'd have to come and force you with the support of some heavy hardware!

A few observations from my end and a hopefull disagreement with you on one thing:

I do not think this time around our offense will change that much when and if either JO or Tins come back, the reason is simple, JO has demonstrated this year to be a much better passer then most here give him credit for and this time he has a player on the floor with him in Peja that also can give an assist and take a high % shot. In other words, and to ad the movement that comes with Peja, I think we have a better combination on the floor with Peja and JO then with either Ron or Jax and JO.

I loved the way Rick handled David's T, calmed him down and when he came back in he was invigorated, played like the devil, grabbed a lot of rebounds in sequence on both sides of the court and had an emphatic dunk on Mihm, just wish he could do that all the time!

But getting him cooled down and allowing him back in and then come of to applause was certainly the psychological way of teaching David that hard work gets applause and T's get benches.

Despite our grim situation I must admit that the development of Danny, David and even Fred is a joy to watch, as were the Pacers last night, BIG KUDOS to my nasn for picking THAT game to show live to me and with all the FSN Indy carriage instead of some UK wankers trying to impress the audience with their "knowledge".

As far as the best Euro player goes, let's not forget that Mr. Nowitzki, no matter how much I dislike him is also a Euro, so yes there are a few candidates for "hands down" best Euro in the NBA in line before we give Sara any cred in that department.

I said in chat that Jeff hit from 20, and you said 18 and while I was more then ready to bow down to your better judgement and personal presence at the game, after seeing the picture of the shot that MR took, I stand by my earlier observation, if anything it was more :)

BTW that last dunk from David on I believe Bynum was indeed a forebode of what is to come in years to come.
As far as teaching David, I have no idea if that "common knowledge" here yet, but while being hurt JO has made it his task to train with David while he himself is out, to teach David a thing or two in the post, and I'm sure that this wont hurt David's development

Which adds only to my "liking" JO btw, instead of being hte selfis hplayer he is so often made out to be here he shows he is foremost a Pacer.

BillS
02-02-2006, 07:59 AM
Thanks, Peck - being in the UK for a couple of weeks and busy playing music and drinking means I won't get a chance to see the games.

This helps me understand what happened.

able
02-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks, Peck - being in the UK for a couple of weeks and busy playing music and drinking means I won't get a chance to see the games.

This helps me understand what happened.

Bills If you need some tips on where and when to see the games, gimme a call (email me for the number abel@able-towers.com) and BTW when you're near London; a wee drink in a local ?

Last nights game was live on NASN (two to 3 games a week) other stations doing live games are: Sky Sports Extra and channel 5 he said from the top of his head.

If you are here still during the AS break, why not enjoy that one together :)

PCC87
02-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Man this is good convo. going on

Skaut_Ech
02-02-2006, 08:26 AM
I said in chat that Jeff hit from 20, and you said 18 and while I was more then ready to bow down to your better judgement and personal presence at the game, after seeing the picture of the shot that MR took, I stand by my earlier observation, if anything it was more :)

BTW that last dunk from David on I believe Bynum was indeed a forebode of what is to come in years to come.
As far as teaching David, I have no idea if that "common knowledge" here yet, but while being hurt JO has made it his task to train with David while he himself is out, to teach David a thing or two in the post, and I'm sure that this wont hurt David's development

Which adds only to my "liking" JO btw, instead of being the selfish player he is so often made out to be here he shows he is foremost a Pacer.

A couple of things:

-Foster could be So much of a better player. I saw him play when the NCAA were here. I got a day pass and there were no pass outs. You know how tough it was for me watching that many games with no beer? :( Anyways, Foster had a pretty nice range in college. Realy nice. It's funny. In the NBA they push you to be a specialist and in Jeff's case, they wanted him to be a pick settter/rebounder, which is a shame.

That shot reminded me of what might have been if he'd been pushed to fill a Keith Van Horn/Donyell Marshall type role. The NBA sometimes forces you into a box for the greater good of the team and that's a shame.

-Jo tutoring David? :mygod: I don't like that idea at all. I don't think of Jo as a low post player. He likes to take fadeaways and plays further out from the basket than David. Nice of him to fill his time trying to help out, but thanks but no thanks. David's game should be Moses Malone, not Geroge Gervin.

-able, I'm wondering if we're going to see a swing back towards the BIG man center in years to come. I watch a lot of basketball around the entire league and I look at the guys being groomed. Guys like Swift, Petro, Bynum, DJ MBenga, Harrison...I think you're going to see the reemergence of the days of tough, space eating centers, not this converted center crap that passes for the low post we have these days.

-Peja will work out fine folks. :einstein:I'll keep saying it till you get sick of me, but you simply cannot expect Peja to be Ron. Peja is Peja. He can be a very effective complimentary player. Like Reggie (sorry folks), he cannot be the main focus night in and night out and carry this team, but I think he can be the perfect complimetary player. I've made the analogy of Ginobilli/Duncan, Rip/Rasheed...I think you get the picture. "He's soft" "All he does is shoot" "He can't play D" All things people said about Reggie. Same people here have been saying about Peja. I found the people who said that about Reggie hadn't really watched him play. I feel the same about Peja.

-Another horse I'll keep beating :3deadhors is that the success of this team hinges on Harrison. The sooner that David and this coaching staff realizes that, the better we'll be. JO is NOT a low post presence. David can be, and this is what we needs. "We need a PG" "We need this" "We need that" I honestly don't think this team needs much more than another low post guy in the mold of David. A healthy team and a reaccessment of everyone's roles will cure a lot of this team's ills.

Unclebuck
02-02-2006, 08:41 AM
I don't udnerstand why Jeff can't be a decent shooter. He has decent form, but zero confidence. One thing that has hurt him is that he's been injured in each of the last two summers and missed training camp and presseason when he could be encouraged to shoot and allowed to gain some confidence. Another thing Jeff can do is take the ball to the basket. he's so quick

Chauncey
02-02-2006, 08:48 AM
A couple of points real quick while I have a chance:

- Well, of all the nights that I had a Managerial Accounting test, I guess missing out on suite tickets last night was ok considering I would have had to drink myself into oblivion after that pathetic performance

- So I just saw the box score when I got home around 10..yay..it was fabulous. I contemplated not even watching the game, but I did watch most of it (skipping through pretty fast) in about an hour before bed. All it did was confirm what I already knew: For the Lakers to beat any average or above average team, Kobe has to be on. If he's not, they lose to good teams. Period.

- I really like the Anthony Johnson/Fred Jones backcourt. I don't think you can match-up AJ and Saras or Fred and Saras because most teams have a big 2 guard and a fast PG and both of the combinations have a problem with those matchups. However, with an AJ/Fred backcourt, you can play Freddie on the PG and AJ can play D on bigger two guards.

- I'll join Scott H in beating the dead horse. I loved what Harrison did last year when he got extended time after the brawl and I loved what he's done this year when he's had a chance. You have to live with the mistakes in order to get him floor experience. I think he knows his way around the basket and as Peck has taught us all.....You can't teach size.

- Regarding Peja, I can't remember if I read this or I heard it on the way home on the radio from Slick (see next bullet point)..but at the very least perhaps he'll make the other guys understand that when your shot isn't falling that you attack the basket and get to the free throw line. I think Slick said this when they were talking about his first game the other night..or I read it on here..can't remember.

- Regarding Slick....I about can't stand hearing him anymore...its to the point with me that that the Celtics or White Sox announcers are at...he gets so emotionally involved with the game its irritating...I really hate hearing homer announcers and I used to like Slick, but these days his schtick is really bugging me.

Suaveness
02-02-2006, 09:51 AM
I don't udnerstand why Jeff can't be a decent shooter. He has decent form, but zero confidence. One thing that has hurt him is that he's been injured in each of the last two summers and missed training camp and presseason when he could be encouraged to shoot and allowed to gain some confidence. Another thing Jeff can do is take the ball to the basket. he's so quick

That's one thing I've always wondered about. I just wish he'd practice it. Like you said, his form is pretty damn good, but because he's injured, he doesn't get to practice. I think Rick should encourage him to work on his shots with someone.

Skaut_Ech
02-02-2006, 10:00 AM
That's one thing I've always wondered about. I just wish he'd practice it. Like you said, his form is pretty damn good, but because he's injured, he doesn't get to practice. I think Rick should encourage him to work on his shots with someone.

Thing about it is that Jeff has had it beat unto his head from the moment he jolined the NBA, "We don't want you to shoot. We want you to rebound and set picks. We are not going to run any plays for you."

Hard to build up any kind of shooting confidence or get any kind of consistancy under those conditions. They've pretty much let Jeff know that they don't care if he ever shoots. (My impression.)

Jeff gets sporatic looks at the basket and I think it's hard for him, or anyone to be productive under those conditions. I'd like to see him utilazed more like Matt Bonner/Brian Scalabrine, rather than like Popeye Jones/Bo Outlaw type.

Hicks
02-02-2006, 10:02 AM
I think he does practice it. But it's never something he's been encouraged to do in games, so his confidence is non-existant.

naptownmenace
02-02-2006, 10:33 AM
I made the roaddie to Indy and back to Cincy and let's just say that it was a wonderful trip.

Great analysis, Peck, as usual. One thing would make your posts better though - learning when to type the word too instead of to. I'm a stickler I know... but you use the word a lot so it stands out.

Things I noticed while at the game:

1. I think that Jack's injury might be a blessing in disguise. Fred plays best when he can get about 12-13 shots a game. That would be difficult with both Jack and Peja playing ahead of him. His confidence level is through the roof right now and hopefully he'll play starter's minutes, whether he actually starts or not, from here on out.

2. This was by far David Harrison's best game of the season. Of course, he was still whistled for a lot of silly fouls and he got T'd up but he came back and devoured the glass on defense and attacked the basket on "O". Once he finally figures out how to use his weight advantage, he'll be a beast. Too bad we can't get Mark Aguirre to work with him like he did with JO.

3. Peja, Peja, Peja. He played a near perfect game. 26 points, 13 rebounds... those are Jermaine O'Neal type numbers. His defense was remarkable too, which was a very pleasant surprise. One thing he does well is challenge shots and what I mean is he gets his hand right in the face of the shooter. That is such an underrated thing these days.

4. Rick coached a wonderful game. The Pacers weren't waiting until 10 seconds left on the clock to run a play. They attacked and didn't allow the defense to get set. When the Lakers pressed, they beat it time and again with the pass and rightfully attacked the basket for layups and dunks. They reminded me a lot of Phoenix last night (although AJ and Saras are no where near Nash's abilities).

5. AJ was great. Honestly between he and Saras I don't think the team misses Jamaal "Marbury-Iverson" Tinsley at all. Saras couldn't get his shot to drop last night and he struggled against the trapping defense of Kobe and Parker but I still like what he brings to team. Actually, him being trapped (drawing 2 defenders in the backcourt) opened the door for a lot of wide open looks/drives for Fred, Peja, and Granger in the second half.

Chest Rockwell
02-02-2006, 10:49 AM
now if only we could get some form of post player to tutor David Harrison.

Is Smits available?

abington
02-02-2006, 10:50 AM
- Regarding Slick....I about can't stand hearing him anymore...its to the point with me that that the Celtics or White Sox announcers are at...he gets so emotionally involved with the game its irritating...I really hate hearing homer announcers and I used to like Slick, but these days his schtick is really bugging me.

oh come on Chauncey? I know you love the Hawk and DJ. Anyways did you happen to catch who won the 2005 World Series. I think it was some team from the uh, uh the south side of Chicago. ;)

FrenchConnection
02-02-2006, 10:54 AM
I was at the game in the cheep seats and I have a question for someone with good tickets or that watched it on tv. Was Tins and/or Cro even at the game? I saw JO on the bench (looking good in the black suit), but I did not see Tins or Cro. There was plenty of room on the bench, and I think Tins at least should have been there.

Chauncey
02-02-2006, 10:58 AM
oh come on Chauncey? I know you love the Hawk and DJ. Anyways did you happen to catch who won the 2005 World Series. I think it was some team from the uh, uh the south side of Chicago. ;)

*mumble* damn dirty southsiders..... *mumble* You just live to make us Cub fans miserable these days....you won't need muchhelp this year, I'm afraid...ole Jim Hendry put together another solid 81-win team this year...*sigh*

Thread compliant subject: I'll trade Odom for Austin Croshere and Fred Jones....any takers? Didn't think so.

jcouts
02-02-2006, 10:59 AM

Peja is definitely not a good rebounder...at least not a 13 rpg kind of guy ;) Split that in half and you'll have Peja at a good rebounding night...but maybe I'm wrong, the Pacers are much more defensive minded than the Kings ever were, so that might make a bit of a difference.

HOWEVER, Peja can be better than he was offensively tonight (if he returns to 2002 Peja, he'll be better on a regular basis). I think that he definitely has more to show on offense than he did tonight, even if he scored 26.

I like how people act like Peja just sits on the perimter waiting for rebounds to bounce out to him...

He has averaged 5 rebounds per game for his entire career...playing alongside the likes of Webber, Pollard-in-his-prime and Vlade, competing for rebounds.

Ron has only averaged 4.8 rebounds per game in his career...

Grant
02-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Stop slacking Peck! I didn't see anything about Eddie Gill in there.

Uh...seriously, great as always.

Slick Pinkham
02-02-2006, 11:38 AM
I like how people act like Peja just sits on the perimter waiting for rebounds to bounce out to him...

He has averaged 5 rebounds per game for his entire career...playing alongside the likes of Webber, Pollard-in-his-prime and Vlade, competing for rebounds.

Ron has only averaged 4.8 rebounds per game in his career...

Peja also was in an offense in Sacto that for years pushed the ball constantly, and his role was never to crash the defensive boards but rather to "leak out" to be involved in transition offense from the missed shot.

Rick does not like guys to hang out on the perimeter and let only 2 guys go for defensive boards.

this change in philosophy/role will help Peja board better. He is a very intelligent player. I wouldn't get my hopes up for frequent double figure rebound games, though.

RWB
02-02-2006, 01:08 PM

Chauncey, you're a Laker fan. How often do you listen? Slick doesn't even come close to Tommy H or the way Johnny Most use to call games. Besides, I think Mark Boyle balances things enough. Actually Kellogg on tv and Boyle on the radio are pretty neutral and really call things the way they are.

Kegboy
02-02-2006, 01:23 PM
First off, just wanted to note in my "brainstorming" thread everyone read me the riot act for starting Jeff with Peja. :tongue:

I was surprised at Peja's D. I hate to make the comparison, especially after just a couple games, but hopefully he's like Reg, in that his D was much better than he was given credit for. Sure, he's never gonna be any good, but he kept his man in front of him, and I don't see him being leveled by picks like somebody I know and love. :rolleyes:

I thoroughly enjoyed the offense. We played some psuedo-Princeton sets where, even though I thought Peja and AJ would play well, they surprised me how at home they looked. Danny's play off the backdoor cemented it for me, we absolutely have to take every opportunity to run and expand this. Tinsley, with some work, can adjust. The question is JO. Yes, his passing is better, but it's still not good enough. He's never gonna be Webber, obviously. But both he and Rick are gonna need a serious brain-scrubbing before he can integrate well. Can JO do it? Of course, if Kenyon Martin can, Jermaine certainly can. But he's going to have to unlearn everything Rick's had him doing for the last 3 years.

[edit] As for Jeff's shot, I've said for years. Every preseason, he comes out and hits the 17-footer convincingly. However, once the regular season starts, he takes an ill-advised one which he misses, the coaches yell at him, and he crawls back into his shell and never trys again.

You all know I loved Zeke, but his biggest misstep in player development was treating Jeff as a defensive specialist and never challenging him to be more. Even in The Quick year, where everyone was supposed to be able to run every position, Isiah overworked Brad and only played Jeff 10 mpg, less than even Cro. I never understood that, since Jeff's athleticism and PG background made him a much better fit for that system than Austin was.

Los Angeles
02-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Regarding Foster:

I recall reading an article about him a couple of years ago that addressed his shooting and his lack of play calls. Here are some of the facts from the article that I remember:

1 - Foster idolized the Rifleman when he was young. He was a shooter in his own mind before he came to the Pacers.

2 - Foster once complained that "I haven't had one play called for me all year." Immediately after saying that, he has two consecutive plays called for him. Then that's it. The rest of the season, he doesn't have a single play called for him again.

if Foster is anything, he is a chameleon. It's obvious that he just wants to play. He will play in any way that will get him minutes. He will do anything that his coaches ask. I think this is the reason he is such a different player than he was as a young man and why he was rewarded with the starting center spot despite the fact that he was really a mid-range shooting PF when he was drafted. I think that if the coaches wanted him to be "deffering Reggie" standing at the three point line, he would do nothing but practice his 3 ball and his elevation until he fit the role.

Is Foster not the definition of a "pro's pro"? Is he not the definition of "team player"? Is he not the definition of "coach's player?"

Regarding Harrison:

If Harrison needs to learn to be a big man, he doesn't need to learn from O'Neal. I've been complaining about Harrison's mimicry of O'Neal for months now. Now imagine this: Foster's play with Harrison's size. That would be a super-human. If Harrison needs to learn from any player on this team, it is Foster.

Harmonica
02-02-2006, 02:24 PM
I still want to know how long it took Peck to write the first post in this thread. And was DD tugging on his shirt begging him to spend some time with him while "Cats in the Cradle" played on the radio?

He said, "Thanks for the ball, Dad, come on let's play
Can you teach me to throw", I said "Not today
I got a recap of the Lakers game to write", he said, "That's ok"

Chauncey
02-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Chauncey, you're a Laker fan. How often do you listen? Slick doesn't even come close to Tommy H or the way Johnny Most use to call games. Besides, I think Mark Boyle balances things enough. Actually Kellogg on tv and Boyle on the radio are pretty neutral and really call things the way they are.

Everytime i'm in the car and the Pacers are on, which is quite often. I usually leave work around 7 and/or class around 9 and have 30 minute or 1 hour commutes..so I hear a lot of Slick. And you're right, he's not as bad as Heinsohn, but he's getting there, I think.

Moses
02-02-2006, 02:58 PM
One thing that made me laugh was in the 4th quarter, about 7-8 minutes to go Kobe launches a 30 foot 3 pointer trying to pad his stats.

Black Sox
02-02-2006, 03:03 PM
You have to love Slick. He is the only man that can party as hard as he does at his age. As far as being a Homer, why not? After all he did coach the pacers to three championships and has been with the pacers since the 60's. If they suck he tells you they suck, but in his own terminology.

Los Angeles
02-02-2006, 04:08 PM
If they suck he tells you they suck, but in his own terminology.
"Lahk shootin' duhcks inna rain berrel."

[/slick] ;)

brichard
02-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Is Smits available?

Smits wasn't exactly the "strike a match on, madman rebounder" we are looking for here. Smits was very finesse and probably had a more similar offensive game to JO with a little better range.

Unclebuck
02-02-2006, 07:31 PM
I still want to know how long it took Peck to write the first post in this thread. And was DD tugging on his shirt begging him to spend some time with him while "Cats in the Cradle" played on the radio?

He said, "Thanks for the ball, Dad, come on let's play
Can you teach me to throw", I said "Not today
I got a recap of the Lakers game to write", he said, "That's ok"

LOL

Anthem
02-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Smits wasn't exactly the "strike a match on, madman rebounder" we are looking for here. Smits was very finesse and probably had a more similar offensive game to JO with a little better range.
My thought as well.

We want Harrison to turn into a big man whose best offensive move is a 17" jumper?