PDA

View Full Version : we look a lot like that kings team who went to the western finals

OnlyPacersLeft
02-02-2006, 01:48 AM
Cwebb/Peja/Bibby

JO/Peja/Tinsley?
possibly granger? I think with JO back (get well soon big fella)
we could make some noise in the playoffs! I'm not saying we win it all or nothing but who knows what a healthy pacer squad can do! reminds me of that team that took the lakers to the brink of 7 gms.

jrm7one
02-02-2006, 01:51 AM
Although Bibby had one thing that Tinsley has never had.

Motivation.

piksi
02-02-2006, 01:55 AM
Not even close guys - not yet anyways

Vlade, DC, Bobby, Hedo

That team was something very special

DG-33
02-02-2006, 01:59 AM
I do agree that people writing us off this year are morons. This is a 60+ win team at 100% health I.M.O. The catch is, we havn't been at 100% health for 2 years now, so there's no reason to expect it to happen anytime soon.

DG-33
02-02-2006, 02:02 AM
We don't have near the passing those Kings teams had, as they had 2 of the best big men passers in league history in Divac and Webber. However I do think we're signifigantly more athletic than they were.

Kstat
02-02-2006, 02:05 AM
Yeah but the Kings didnt win on athletic ability, they won on passing and shooting.....

DG-33
02-02-2006, 02:10 AM
Yeah but the Kings didnt win on athletic ability, they won on passing and shooting.....
Thats the 98-2005 Sacramento Kings, not the Indiana Pacers. And to be honest, I don't even get the original comparison, outside of both teams having Peja, Pollard, and an All-Star PF.

18to88
02-02-2006, 02:24 AM
Bibby had the support of his teams fans too. Unlike Tinsley who you all think, along with Jack, is the root of all evil.

OnlyPacersLeft
02-02-2006, 02:39 AM
Not even close guys - not yet anyways

Vlade, DC, Bobby, Hedo

That team was something very special
christie>? psht what a waste....bobby...granger anyone? Hedo...Cro+Peja can do what he does...and I see hedo on a nightly basis seeing how I mostly get orlando magic games in my area. Vlade? the art of the flop? what can he do that foster can't?

Kstat
02-02-2006, 02:41 AM
Vlade? the art of the flop? what can he do that foster can't?

:laugh: that may very well be the funniest thing I've read in months.

Vlade's only one of the best passing centers in history. He could shoot too. But yeah, other than those little tidbits, he and Foster are even.

The comparison between the two teams is so silly I don't know where to begin. Sacramento's PF and C were better passers than the current Pacers' point guards.

Indiana may indeed have a nice little team, but in no way is it anything like the 2000-2003 Kings.

Anybody who saw that Kings team would agree with me on this.

Pingu
02-02-2006, 02:42 AM
Vlade? the art of the flop? what can he do that foster can't?

Pass the ball like a PG ?:rolleyes:

edit: beaten by Kstat on this one

King Mob
02-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Regardless of how the talent matches or doesn't match up, Indy doesn't run anything close to Adelman's freewheeling offense, which was a wonder to behold in those days. Sometimes it seemed like they had six guys out there, because by the time the shot clock got to the 14 second mark or so, somebody was either spotting up for a wide open J or backcutting unimpeded to the basket. I've never seen a team score so easily in the halfcourt. Borderline Globetrotterish.

Doug in CO
02-02-2006, 09:12 AM

Vlade's only one of the best passing centers in history. He could shoot too. But yeah, other than those little tidbits, he and Foster are even.

The comparison between the two teams is so silly I don't know where to begin. Sacramento's PF and C were better passers than the current Pacers' point guards.

Indiana may indeed have a nice little team, but in no way is it anything like the 2000-2003 Kings.

Anybody who saw that Kings team would agree with me on this.

Thanks for saying "we have a nice little team" - not sure if being condescending was on purpose or not.

That being said - the comparison is asinine. Just not even close. Different style, better players on the Kings and Bibby is SPECIAL while JT just needs special help.

We won one game - I am happy that we did - but one in a row people - calm down.

Unclebuck
02-02-2006, 09:26 AM
We aren't anything like the Kings of a few years ago, nothing at all, except we have Peja. But none of the other players are anything close to eachother

Fool
02-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Scot Pollard plays a lot like Scot Pollard.

Unclebuck
02-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Scot Pollard plays a lot like Scot Pollard.

Oops, I fogot about him, but he doesn't really play like he used

Afterall we don't have Keon Clark

NaptownBound
02-02-2006, 10:34 AM
this comparison makes no sense at all.

did you actually think about it before posting this?

FrenchConnection
02-02-2006, 11:00 AM
I don't like these kinds of comparisons. LB may be trying to build a team that can do some of the things that they did, but I think that there are things that we can do that they did not. For one, we will at least attempt to play defense. It's not that the Kings didn't have good defenders, they just didn't try on that end of the floor. Secondly, we will open up the offense some, but we will still have a strong back to the basket player in JO (let the bashing begin!), something that the Kings could have had in Webber but chose to go in another direction.

heywoode
02-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Bibby had the support of his teams fans too. Unlike Tinsley who you all think, along with Jack, is the root of all evil.

Tinsley HAD the support of the fans, but after being let down time and time again.....sooner or later you have to cut your losses.

And the comparison to the Kings is not a good one.

DG-33
02-02-2006, 11:59 AM

Ofcourse Foster plays defense, something the very smelly (reputedly) Vlade Divac never did.

DG-33
02-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Sacramento's PF and C were better passers than the current Pacers' point guards.
Yeah. Would be true if our point guard was actually an undersized shooting guard who has a career average of less than 5 assists per game in over 30 minutes per game (thats terrible, for those who dont know) like some other teams around here, but we dont. Jamaal Tinsley is actually one of the best passers in the league, and you know that. But thanks for playing, and make sure to pick up your toaster on the way out.

sweabs
02-02-2006, 12:13 PM
This guy is a walking NBA Dictionary!

DG-33
02-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks for saying "we have a nice little team" - not sure if being condescending was on purpose or not.

That being said - the comparison is asinine. Just not even close. Different style, better players on the Kings and Bibby is SPECIAL while JT just needs special help.

We won one game - I am happy that we did - but one in a row people - calm down.
What makes Bibby special?

His lack of defense? Lack of passing ability? Pedestrian assist-to-turnover ratio? His 2 rebounds a game? The fact thats hes never been named to an All-Star game, All-NBA team, All-Defensive team? By the way, coaches vote for the reserve All-Star's, so obviously they don't think Mike Bibby is special.

Bibby's an overrated, me-first, stat whore with a terrible contract. And he looks like the love child of Mini-Me and Vin Diesel to boot.

sweabs
02-02-2006, 12:31 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13564&highlight=bibby

DG-33...you have a twin brother.

Elite point guards make All-Star teams. There's a reason none of the trio of Bibby, Tinsley, or Billups has made an All-Star team - they're not elite. They're all second-tier point guards.

Second-teir points guards aren't worth the kinda money Bibby is making.

btowncolt
02-02-2006, 12:36 PM
http://www.shopping-headquarters.com/images/vendors/v514/GW046249043064.jpg

Fool
02-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Yeah. Would be true if our point guard was actually an undersized shooting guard who has a career average of less than 5 assists per game in over 30 minutes per game (thats terrible, for those who dont know) like some other teams around here, but we dont.

I agree. Rick really hampered Chauncey's playmaking ability.

Jermaniac
02-02-2006, 12:55 PM

Chris Webber and Vlade where better passers then Jamaal Tinsley? How about no.

Roy Munson
02-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Chris Webber and Vlade where better passers then Jamaal Tinsley? How about no.

How about yes.

Being a good passer not only means physically throwing the ball to another player, but making the RIGHT pass, at the RIGHT time, to the RIGHT position on the floor. Yes, Chris Webber and Vlade were better passers than Tinsley is now.

Doug in CO
02-02-2006, 01:14 PM
What makes Bibby special?

His lack of defense? Lack of passing ability? Pedestrian assist-to-turnover ratio? His 2 rebounds a game? The fact thats hes never been named to an All-Star game, All-NBA team, All-Defensive team? By the way, coaches vote for the reserve All-Star's, so obviously they don't think Mike Bibby is special.

Bibby's an overrated, me-first, stat whore with a terrible contract. And he looks like the love child of Mini-Me and Vin Diesel to boot.

All I need to do with Bibby is watch him at the end of games - he makes the shot - and he has the balls to take the shot (see Game 7 WCF versus Lakers) when his teammates' hands are so busy shaking and they are about to wet themselves.

Not sure whether the Kings are terrible defensive players - or whether Adelman just doesn't bother coaching D.

rexnom
02-02-2006, 05:11 PM
All I need to do with Bibby is watch him at the end of games - he makes the shot - and he has the balls to take the shot (see Game 7 WCF versus Lakers) when his teammates' hands are so busy shaking and they are about to wet themselves.

Not sure whether the Kings are terrible defensive players - or whether Adelman just doesn't bother coaching D.

That series really made him special. He made at least as many clutch shots as Kobe. He may not be elite on the level of Billups or Nash or the like but he has something else, that special something. Clutch players are always special.

One more thing, Vlade and C-Webb were amazing passers but there is no way in hell they are better passers than Tinsley healthy. I think everyone on this board has forgotten how good he is healthy...I don't blame them of course...it's been a while :(.

Also, please, no Foster and Vlade comparisons...that's just crazy. Vlade played with a certain finesse and smarts that few players in league history have ever had. He was one of my favorite big guys to watch.

Roy Munson
02-02-2006, 05:48 PM
One more thing, Vlade and C-Webb were amazing passers but there is no way in hell they are better passers than Tinsley healthy. I think everyone on this board has forgotten how good he is healthy...I don't blame them of course...it's been a while :(.

The only thing I'll concede that Tinsley is great at is ball-handling. He's a great dribbler. He is not a great passer because being a great passer carries the pre-requisite of being a great decision-maker. Tinsley is not a great decision-maker.

Kstat
02-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Yeah. Would be true if our point guard was actually an undersized shooting guard who has a career average of less than 5 assists per game in over 30 minutes per game (thats terrible, for those who dont know) like some other teams around here, but we dont. Jamaal Tinsley is actually one of the best passers in the league, and you know that. But thanks for playing, and make sure to pick up your toaster on the way out.

Seth, You're seriously going to argue that Chauncey Billups is a "terrible" point guard? Did you forget to take your meds today?

:laugh:

There's a reason none of the trio of Bibby, Tinsley, or Billups has made an All-Star team - they're not elite. They're all second-tier point guards.

:rotflmao:

Were you trying to get that one in quickly, because you realize it has an expiration date of 2/9/06?

OnlyPacersLeft
02-02-2006, 06:39 PM

I'm sure webber would have taken the shot....and missed it like always.

SoupIsGood
02-02-2006, 06:40 PM
We look a lot like a team that just almost went all the way..... is that all that surprising...?

:-p

Kstat
02-02-2006, 06:42 PM
BTW, say what you want about Bibby, he's as good a clutch shooter as there is.

NZPacer
02-02-2006, 06:47 PM
If I'm not mistaken those Kings were very offensively-minded. Pacers - defensively orientated.

:idea: Now, who's up for a comparison between between the 2005/06 Indiana Pacers and 1998/99 Toronto Raptors.
McGrady/Carter/Alvin Williams
Granger/Freddie/AJ?
:eyebrow: :laugh:

Slick Pinkham
02-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Seth, You're seriously going to argue that Chauncey Billups is a "terrible" point guard?

If this were a boxing match it would have to be stopped about now.

Billups and Bibby are PREMIER point guards.

You can rail on Bibby's numbers if you want, DG-33, but point guards in motion-type offenses never get big assist numbers. Isiah's assists totals in college at IU were very modest.

Bibby did have great assist numbers with the Grizzlies before he was traded. If he switched places with Nash or went elsewhere where all the offense goes through the PGs hands I would not be too surprised if he could put up gawdy assist numbers.