PDA

View Full Version : Pacers 2006 Draft

DG-33
02-02-2006, 12:36 AM
Any secret wishes for the Pacers 2006 draft? What position(s) do you think the team should be looking at? Best available player maybe?

Rajon Rondo and Daniel Gibson are a couple of possibilities at point guard. Rondo is greased lightning. A guy not as well known as those two but whom a lot say could be a steal is a senior out of Villanova named Randy Foye.

At SG/SF I'd really like to see JJ Redick, and with his size and age, I think there's a possibility he could slip to our position. His situation reminds me of Grangers the way he's being so overlooked in favor of the "upside" of far less proven players. After that, I don't see a lot, but admitedly I don't know a lot about most of these players. Maybe one of the Brandons (Rush and Roy), or Ronnie Brewer and Rodney Carney, maybe one of those guys will slip.

I also like Shelden Williams, yet another spectacular *proven* senior who could be overlooked due to lack of upside and he's only 6'9".

18to88
02-02-2006, 12:47 AM
We aren't getting in the lottery, move down the draft order a little bit. Probably no better than last year's pick.

jrm7one
02-02-2006, 12:48 AM
Me being in NC, I see way too much of JJ Redick as it is, but I love every second of it. He's developed his inside game and can drive a bit better than in the past. Most importantly though, his range is un-freaking-limited. And yes because of his size, he will slip in the draft. I'd love to pick him up. Imagine Saras, JJ and Peja all on the same team. :drool:

DG-33
02-02-2006, 12:55 AM
Me being in NC, I see way too much of JJ Redick as it is, but I love every second of it. He's developed his inside game and can drive a bit better than in the past. Most importantly though, his range is un-freaking-limited. And yes because of his size, he will slip in the draft. I'd love to pick him up. Imagine Saras, JJ and Peja all on the same team. :drool:
Saras, JJ, Peja trio would have to be as good a trio of shooters as the league has ever seen. Can anyone name a trio better than that? The question is their defense. I think we all see the negative comments on Saras and Pejas defense was nothing but hate from the E.A.T Society (Euro's Are Trash, sponsored by Dick Vitale), as they're both quite adaquate, but 3 "adaquate" individual defenders adds up to sub-par team defense. Ofcourse Rick Carisle is an absolutely brilliant coach, so I wouldn't doubt his ability to make it work.

huff18
02-02-2006, 01:24 AM
The Pacers need to do whatever they can to get Rodney Carney. Carney and Granger would give the Pacers two long athletic players that can defend the perimeter.

Another player the Pacers could get in the 2nd round and could be the steal of the draft is Mike Gansey. He has the heart of an assassin and would be a great fit for the Pacers.

18to88
02-02-2006, 01:26 AM
Yeah, trade up in the draft to get another SF (Carney)! We can be the 2nd coming of the Atlanta Hawks!!!

Jim R
02-02-2006, 01:27 AM
One thing to consider is the Pacers will have the flexibility of two expiring contracts, Croshere and Bender's. They could be use with a draft pick to move-up, maybe taking a little worse of a contrat from a player who could help.

They wouldn't be able to move down too far, but five or six spots might be enough for the Pacers to land someone who can help immediately at PG.

18to88
02-02-2006, 01:29 AM
NBAdraft.net has Pittsnogle going in the 2nd round. I thought he was supposed to be really good and one of the better college player. Do they not think he will transition to the NBA well?

I say get him and/or this guy (http://nbadraft.net/profiles/ivanchiriaev.asp) with the 2nd rounder(s) we have. Do we get Phoenix's this year?

18to88
02-02-2006, 01:32 AM
Maybe we should trade all of this years picks + all of next years picks for an unprotected pick from Atlanta, NO, Charlotte, or something. They could always use picks.

huff18
02-02-2006, 01:39 AM
Yeah, trade up in the draft to get another SF (Carney)! We can be the 2nd coming of the Atlanta Hawks!!!

Carney can play sg he is 6'7" But trust me you don't pass on star potential. He is the only player in the next draft that ,imho, has star potential. Aldridge , Redick,Gay and Morrison will be very average players in the NBA. Another thing is this draft is going to be full of tweeners guy that are either finess pf or they are sf ,no protypical Centers or SG.

If the Pacers have to pick at the bottom of the draft like usual then they should pick either Gibson, Washington , Ager or Dee Brown if available.

Moses
02-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Carney can play sg he is 6'7" But trust me you don't pass on star potential. He is the only player in the next draft that ,imho, has star potential. Aldridge , Redick,Gay and Morrison will be very average players in the NBA. Another thing is this draft is going to be full of tweeners guy that are either finess pf or they are sf ,no protypical Centers or SG.

If the Pacers have to pick at the bottom of the draft like usual then they should pick either Gibson, Washington , Ager or Dee Brown if available.
Do you even watch college basketball?

btowncolt
02-03-2006, 02:00 PM
I haven't really spent much time examining college stats, so I wouldn't have any idea who's good.

PacersGuest
02-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Guillermo Diaz would be a great fit....

waxman
02-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Foye looks like a nice PG... good size...great speed... quality shooter.... built like a brick ****house...and he's a senior. He would be ready contribute in no time.

Kaufman
02-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Please - Rajon Rondo is not entering the draft this year. Stop bringing it up. I'll let you know if something changes.

Black Sox
02-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Adam Morrison will be impossible to get for the Pacers, but he most likely will be the best NBA player. If JJ Redick drops on draft day I wouldnt be surprise to see the pacers make some trades to move up and get him. But most likely he will end up in the top 10.

purdue101
02-03-2006, 03:58 PM
My money is on Rudy Fernandez.

DG-33
02-03-2006, 03:59 PM
http://nbadraft.net/profiles/richardroby.asp

Richard Roby
Birthdate: 9/28/85
NBA Position: Shooting Guard
College: Colorado
Class: Sophomore
Ht: 6-6
Wt: 190
Hometown: San Bernardino, CA
High School: Lawrence Academy
Team Site Profile

2005 Stats

NBA Comparison: Allan Houston

Strengths: One of the top shooters in the college game ... Prototypical 2-guard for the NBA ... Mechanics and release on his shot are tremendous ... Has shown the ability to take over and win games with his shooting and playmaking ability ... Clutch player who steps up and shows no conscience shooting the ball when the game is on the line ... Has great genes for the game as he is K-Mart's half brother and the athleticism did not miss him ... Extremely long and fluid athlete with a smooth offensive game ... Good leaping ability which will only get better as his body matures ... He is adept at creating shots for himself off the dribble ... His mid range game is very advanced ... Extremely long arms give him added length ... Picks up a lot of steals with great speed and anticipation ... Possesses an excellent feel for the game, especially offensively ... Has worked hard on cutting down turnovers as his improved A/TO ratio attests ... Has excellent upside ...

Weaknesses: Must show the passion and hunger to play up to his abilities every time out ... The game comes so easily to him that he can get by on natural ability so staying focused and working hard to improve is key for him ... Still needs to become stronger physically ... Added strength will give him more ability to take the ball inside and finish ... Developed a bit of a soft rap from scouts after starting his sophomore season slow, but has responded well ... Must show the ability to play well against top level teams and players ... Free throw shooting should be better for such a great shooter (roughly 70%), needs to put in work to improve upon it ...

Notes: Led Colorado in scoring as a freshman ... Half brother is Denver Nuggets star Kenyon Martin.

-Aran Smith 1/29/06

huff18
02-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Do you even watch college basketball?

Yes , I watch alot of college basketball. Redick will be nothing unless he goes to a team like Indiana that will set screen for him or a team like the Lakers where he can just be a spot up shooter. I think M.Gansey will have a better career in the NBA then Redick because Gansey is more athletic , a better shooter and quite honestly a better shooter.

Morrison to me reminds me of Keith Van Horn if you think Van Horn is a star player then Morrison will be a star.

Rudy Gay is this years Marvin Williams every year their is a young player on an elite college team that gets his stock inflated because he plays NC, Duke or UConn.

Aldridge of all of the 4 supposed potential franchise players of this upcoming draft is worthy of being a lottery pick . But unfortunately he isn't worthy of a number 1 overall and because this draft is so weak Aldridge we be the default top overall pick. Glenn Robinson and Joe Smith had a solid NBA careers but because they were drafted No1 overall they were considered busts.

TheLemonSong
02-03-2006, 08:20 PM
I really have to wonder about those that believe JJ Reddick will be such a great NBA player..the dude is 6'4" and doesn't play the point..anyone really believe he'd play well against other 2 guards in the league? I'm not saying the kid is going to bust, but he's not going to be the superstar he is in NCAA...

As for Rondo, sure he's fast but he's also 6'1" and can barely hit 60% of his freethrows...his hands are *huge*...I just have a hard time buying him as a great player in the NBA.

Meanwhile, Morrison has the size, shooting ability, post up moves, and while his D isn't great now it has potential because of his wingspan...imagine him playing 2 or 3 rather than the 4 they usually play him at now...wow.

Kaufman
02-03-2006, 08:46 PM
As for Rondo, sure he's fast but he's also 6'1" and can barely hit 60% of his freethrows...his hands are *huge*...I just have a hard time buying him as a great player in the NBA.

Lets leave negative comments about Rondo out of this. And he won't be coming out this year anyways.

owl
02-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Ok Kaufman, you keep saying he is not coming out this year. Are you
related or are you his private physician? Inquiring minds want to know.
;-)

owl

Kaufman
02-04-2006, 06:19 AM
Ok Kaufman, you keep saying he is not coming out this year. Are you
related or are you his private physician? Inquiring minds want to know.
;-)

owl

Lets just say it irks me when people say slanderous things about Rajon Rondo. It hurts, it really hurts me.

Phil
02-04-2006, 02:06 PM
NBAdraft.net has Pittsnogle going in the 2nd round. I thought he was supposed to be really good and one of the better college player. Do they not think he will transition to the NBA well?

I say get him and/or this guy (http://nbadraft.net/profiles/ivanchiriaev.asp) with the 2nd rounder(s) we have. Do we get Phoenix's this year?

I had the same question about Pittsnoggle. After last year's NCAA tourney, he seemed like a real Pacers style player. I've only seen one WVU game this year, but he looked just as solid.

Maybe it's just the difference in perceived potential from person to person, but he doesn't seem like he's any worse than a mid-first round pick to me.

-Phil

PCC87
02-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Don't forget everyone we still have the 2nd rounder from last year's draft that if I remember correctly will be joinging the team next season so that might be something to look forward to

FrenchConnection
02-04-2006, 05:37 PM
My money is on Rudy Fernandez.

Bird did just spend a lot of time in Spain....