PDA

View Full Version : Very impressed with Peja's all around game

Unclebuck
02-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Anyone who has watched any NBA games the past 8 years knows that Peja can shoot the ball, he is simply one of the best shooters in the NBA and has been for 6 or 7 years now. His height helps him get his shot off over most guys that defend him, and his quick release enables him to shoot it before his defender can get to him. His movement off the ball also is very impressive.

But everyone knew all of that. I sure knew all that, and nothing there has surprised me in the least. One thing when Peja misses a shot he really misses it bad.

No surprises.

However I've been very impressed with his overall game. I always say that as a fan you never really know a player until he plays on your team and you see him every game and you have an emotional attachment to his performance.

Let's start with his rebounding. He certainly is not a classic rebounder, but he gets a lot of rebounds, to be honest I don't really know how, maybe smarts, maybe he has a nose for the ball.

Peja has also impressed me with his passing, he seems to be a decent passer, better than I thought.

But what has surprised me the most is his defense. No he's not Artest, and no he is not a great defender by any means, but he isn't bad. The job he did on Odom tonight was quite impressive, he certainly has the smarts, experience and ability to be adequate. I'll tell you he is better than some other small forwards the Pacers have had over the years.

So far I'm satisifed Peja, he seems to be a very smart player and everyone knows we need that. More than anything else, Peja just knows how to play in the NBA, and that accounts for a lot.

I might be satisifed with Peja, but I love Granger. I now expect him to make every open shot he takes.

Edit: my favorite play of the night was when Fred forced Kobe behind the backboard and Kobe threw up a terrible shot that went over the glass. That was great

Fireball Kid
02-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Very nice, Unclebuck. This Peja/Granger duo might turn out to be pretty awesome.

SoupIsGood
02-01-2006, 10:31 PM
I agreed with everything you just said. I wouldn't expecting Peja's rebounding to keep up like this though.

rexnom
02-01-2006, 10:36 PM
I agreed with everything you just said. I wouldn't expecting Peja's rebounding to keep up like this though.

I think it's fair to expect Peja to average around six or seven tho, don't you?

Jermaniac
02-01-2006, 10:37 PM
I really hope Larry does everything he can to keep the guy around.

Young
02-01-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm happy for Peja. Glad to see him have a huge game.

Freddie, Danny, and David also seemed to have big games as well as Jeff too. I didn't get to watch the game but just looking at the box scores we had several guys step up tonight to get the W.

Back on topic though. glad to hear the good report on Peja. Mostly about his defense. I knew get could score, pass, good hig bball IQ but I wasn't so sure about his team defense.

SoupIsGood
02-01-2006, 10:43 PM
I think it's fair to expect Peja to average around six or seven tho, don't you?

Six maybe. If he averages seven, then we Peja has had a complete rebirth here in Indy.

Mr. Pink
02-01-2006, 10:45 PM
I would expect Peja to average about 4 or 5 rebounds a night. He put a lot of effort into tonight because it's his debut at home.

Moses
02-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Let's not forget the fact that he helped with Kobe defensively on alot of plays. Having a guy like Peja who has played him so many times always helps in the defensive effort against the 1 man team.

Harmonica
02-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Can't wait to to see Peja and JO on the floor at the same time. Wait...what's this strange feeling? Could it be...no way...I think I'm feeling...optimistic.

Pacersfan.
02-01-2006, 10:49 PM
If Peja keeps up his play we could actually be a contender next year....and by some freak of nature if everyone gets healthy and we get into the playoffs, they could actually make some noise.

Mr. Pink
02-01-2006, 10:51 PM
If Peja keeps up his play we could actually be a contender next year....and by some freak of nature if everyone gets healthy and we get into the playoffs, they could actually make some noise.

I am soo glad Peja is here. After watching the Kings for about 6 or 7 years, I know Peja can really help this team. He's got a quick release like Reggie, but I do not in anyway shape or form, think he is anywhere close to being as clutch as Reggie. I would rather have Sarunas take the last shot than Peja.

I am more concerned as to how Peja plays after 10 to 15 games. Then we will really get a feel as to how Peja is gonna fit into this team.

317Kim
02-01-2006, 10:52 PM
:sunshine: GREAT NIGHT OVERALL. EVERYONE PLAYED WELL! EVERYONE SCORED BALANCED SCORING. 3 PLAYERS HAD DOUBLE DOUBLES and HULK was 1 REBOUND away from a double double.Another great night for Danger and Fred too!

PEJA IS AWESOME!!!!

WE WON..and IT FEELS GREAT!

Hicks
02-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Peja was great tonight. But let's not get TOO high just yet. This was one of his better games, not one to expect every night. But still, this is fun to see. I love great shooters, and having he and Sarunas out there together is just fun. One may have a bad night, but odds are one of them will still light it up.

I was impressed with his rebounding. He's not a warrior rebounder, but he is a rebound chaser, and that's good too. I also think his D gets a bad rap. It's not great, but it's all right. He makes a few silly reach-in fouls, but otherwise he plays a pretty smart game. I like this guy.

Mr. Pink
02-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Peja's defense is going to get a lot better. Sarunas wasn't known as a defender, and it was HORRIBLE at the start of the season. His D has improved sine then.

Peja isn't that bad as a defender, but he will need to work on it for this team. When JO gets back, the whole defense of this team improves.

rexnom
02-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Peja was great tonight. But let's not get TOO high just yet. This was one of his better games, not one to expect every night. But still, this is fun to see. I love great shooters, and having he and Sarunas out there together is just fun. One may have a bad night, but odds are one of them will still light it up.

I was impressed with his rebounding. He's not a warrior rebounder, but he is a rebound chaser, and that's good too. I also think his D gets a bad rap. It's not great, but it's all right. He makes a few silly reach-in fouls, but otherwise he plays a pretty smart game. I like this guy.

You know what tho? I liked his game yesterday a lot too. His shot was NOT falling yesterday like it was tonight but he compensated by driving and drawing fouls. I think he really is exactly what this team needed right about now.

Moses
02-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Peja's defense is going to get a lot better. Sarunas wasn't known as a defender, and it was HORRIBLE at the start of the season. His D has improved sine then.

Peja isn't that bad as a defender, but he will need to work on it for this team. When JO gets back, the whole defense of this team improves.
I've been saying all along that Peja has the quick feet to be a good defender. Sac just never really cared much about defense and had a up-tempo offensive minded game. I guess everyone kind of assumed he was slow because hes a big white guy and isn't that quick, but you would be surprised at how fast he can move his feet defensively.

Hicks
You know what tho? I liked his game yesterday a lot too. His shot was NOT falling yesterday like it was tonight but he compensated by driving and drawing fouls. I think he really is exactly what this team needed right about now.

I liked his game last night too. I love that he's getting to the hoop. I thought he was pretty much a "hover out around 20+ feet" type of guy, but he's getting inside.

Shamboubou
Can't wait to to see Peja and JO on the floor at the same time. Wait...what's this strange feeling? Could it be...no way...I think I'm feeling...optimistic.

Why? JO hardly EVER passes the ball out of the post. If JO gets the ball he usually shoots it. The key to us winning tonight was TEAMWORK!!! Everybody passed the ball until they found an open man and they hit him. That was the key to winning. If JO can come out and play team ball like we seen tonight they it will be worth it.

Mr. Pink
02-01-2006, 11:00 PM

One thing that I love about Peja's game is how he cuts to the basket for those lil lay-ins. I think Peja can score a lot a few nights, because he'll get to the line for 2 or a 3-point play.

Hicks
02-01-2006, 11:00 PM
And where's this myth about him being slow? If you're talking about lateral quickness, I'd have to see him more but for now I'd say OK, but on offense? He can move pretty quick around screens.

Mr. Pink
02-01-2006, 11:03 PM
I've been saying all along that Peja has the quick feet to be a good defender. Sac just never really cared much about defense and had a up-tempo offensive minded game. I guess everyone kind of assumed he was slow because hes a big white guy and isn't that quick, but you would be surprised at how fast he can move his feet defensively.

Exactly! If it weren't for Doug Christie, back in those days, the Kings would allow 120 points a game. Pollard helped with the Kings D back then, as well.

Rick will help Peja get into a better defensive mind. Now that I think about it, with everyone back...Peja's O might suffer, but we will see him playing a lot more D. Maybe even get more rebounds. It's just too early to tell on how Peja is gonna work for the Pacers.

Shade
02-02-2006, 12:23 AM
Peja was amazing tonight. If he keeps it up, he's going to make the trade a lot easier to swallow. :)

Shade
02-02-2006, 12:23 AM
And where's this myth about him being slow? If you're talking about lateral quickness, I'd have to see him more but for now I'd say OK, but on offense? He can move pretty quick around screens.

He has a quick first step, that's for sure.

I was very impressed with his game tonight.

Pacesetter
02-02-2006, 12:30 AM
good post UB!

All I got to say is Granger made one of the most impressive moves to the hoop I've seen in quite a long time. Yes we all know Indiana Jones is a character above the rim, but Granger made a move to the basket tonight that was so angry it about had me in tears. The ball didn't go down, Granger was fouled, but it ain't no joke, this guy wanted to rip the rim off the thing. It just pisses me off thinkin about how nasty that dunk would have been .... uhhhhh! :cool:

DG-33
02-02-2006, 12:30 AM
I told you all, outside of the obvious (defense), Peja's a better all-around basketball player than Ron. We'll be a 60 win team next year, provided Peja is resigned and everyone stays healthy (LOL).

Anthem
02-02-2006, 02:05 AM
So when everybody's healthy, we run a 3-man forward rotation of JO/Peja/Granger?

Where does that leave guys like Austin or Foster?

Will Galen
02-02-2006, 02:17 AM
It's my idea that if JO wasn't the number one option, that if his job was to rebound, play defence, and block shots. He would still average 16-18 points and make this team much, much, tougher! As is, him being the first option he holds the ball to long, and his team mates stand around.

The problem with that is I hear Peja doesn't make a great first option. However, it seems to me that he's as good of player as Reggie ever was, outside of Reggies clutch shooting. So if we used him as the first option like we used Reggie maybe it would work.

Julius Sour
02-02-2006, 02:20 AM
Maybe some of you will think that me is spamin', but anyways - > My Thoughts about Peja and Pacers (http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=292112&postcount=1)<-- from December 18th, 2005, 09:07 PM

Js

Pacesetter
02-02-2006, 02:22 AM
It's my idea that if JO wasn't the number one option, that if his job was to rebound, play defence, and block shots. He would still average 16-18 points and make this team much, much, tougher! As is, him being the first option he holds the ball to long, and his team mates stand around.

The problem with that is I hear Peja doesn't make a great first option. However, it seems to me that he's as good of player as Reggie ever was, outside of Reggies clutch shooting. So if we used him as the first option like we used Reggie maybe it would work.

Will, it seemed to me that Reg, and JO shared that #1 option when they were both on court. If Peja and JO hook up like this it will probably be much better than even Reggie and JO because Reggie didn't have the inside game like Peja has. I agree with your idea about JO going back to being defensive minded and not like he needs to carry the offense, because he does get into the isolation scheme. Also, I've noticed JO was much more refined after spending time with Bill Russell. Maybe if he can get back to doing what he was doing when he returned from his workouts with Russell, he'll regain his touch as well as all the other intangible stuff he had going right in 03-04. Time will tell!

Get well soon JO! :cool:

Sirius
02-02-2006, 02:24 AM
pleeeeeease re-sign him....

02-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Why? JO hardly EVER passes the ball out of the post. If JO gets the ball he usually shoots it. The key to us winning tonight was TEAMWORK!!! Everybody passed the ball until they found an open man and they hit him. That was the key to winning. If JO can come out and play team ball like we seen tonight they it will be worth it.

Just every word u said was what i wanted to say! :) We must get JO to use that In-and-Out game... Peja+JO... it will remind me alot of Reggie+JO, you know? When you have the best 3PT shooter in Basketball history Open behind the 3PT Line and waving his hands and screaming to JO "Pass the ball!!!" when JO was doubled, instead JO does that fadeaway jumpshot anyways and misses.

PCC87
02-02-2006, 09:02 AM

Yeah but us all being healthy is asking way too much....