PDA

View Full Version : lEbRON James has no desire to dunk

denyfizle
02-01-2006, 11:30 AM
http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/13758928.htm

Cavs star doesn't think he will ever participateBy Brian WindhorstBeacon Journal sportswriterCLEVELAND - The NBA can keep renewing its request year after year, the answer always will be the same from LeBron James.
James said Tuesday that he doesn't ever plan on taking part in the annual Slam Dunk Contest, despite pleas from the league, fans and sponsors. Simply put, he says it isn't his style.

``I don't want to be defined as being in the Slam Dunk Contest, it's not me,'' James said. ``When I dunk I'm trying to get two points. For the most part I don't predetermine what I do.''

James said he doesn't know what he's going to do when he gets in the air. Take the break-away dunk in the Cavs' 103-91 victory over the Charlotte Bobcats in the third quarter Monday, for example. He said the reverse two-handed slam came to him at the last second.

``I do dunks in the spur of the moment,'' he said. ``I can't think of a dunk and, then, go do it. So we'll leave it at that.''

During his first two seasons, the Cavs star delayed his answer to the league's dunk request for several weeks each time before officially turning it down.
One of James' major sponsors, Sprite, has its name on contest. Adding the ratings James' inclusion would've meant made it seem like a perfect marriage. Yet, James was never too interested.

This time around when the NBA called dunking during All-Star Weekend, James turned it down flat, though he did agree to take part in the Skills Challenge on All-Star Saturday on Feb. 18 in Houston.

In truth, the glamour has been off the dunk contest for more than a decade as the league's top stars have routinely skipped it. That might have played into James' decision as much as any creative issues.

This year's participants, announced Tuesday, are Josh Smith of the Atlanta Hawks, Nate Robinson of the New York Knicks, Hakim Warrick of the Memphis Grizzlies and Andre Iguodala of the Philadelphia 76ers. None comes close to James' star power, even when he was a rookie.

``I'll leave it up to the guys who don't play as many minutes as I do,'' James said. ``Those guys can throw it between their legs and stuff like that.''
Net losses

I don't like LbJ's reason. Maybe it's just me but I thought ALL-STAR events are "for the fans". I just hate it when players get too image conscious. He should do this because the fans obviously would love to see him do it. At least Kobe and Air Canada did it once. Then again, I guess he's "The King" so he can do whatever he pleases. But if it really is just that he can't really think of creative dunks like he said, then just stick to that.

SwissExpress
02-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Well, I kind of agree with it. Young dunk-contest winners like Vince tend to stay percieved as dunkers by the media for the rest of their careers..
It's not always good. I wouldn't like, for instance, Magic to be percieved as a dunker even if he was one. Because he was too great all-around player. And if LeBron can eventually get Magic's image (and he can, to my opinion), he should go for it. It is better for the league.

Once he has that image, he may come and win that contest, if he wants to and can:)

DeAthrow
02-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Well, I kind of agree with it. Young dunk-contest winners like Vince tend to stay percieved as dunkers by the media for the rest of their careers..
It's not always good. I wouldn't like, for instance, Magic to be percieved as a dunker even if he was one. Because he was too great all-around player. And if LeBron can eventually get Magic's image (and he can, to my opinion), he should go for it. It is better for the league.

Once he has that image, he may come and win that contest, if he wants to and can:)

Unless NBA changes the rules I think this was his last chance to participate.

SwissExpress
02-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Unless NBA changes the rules I think this was his last chance to participate.

They change them every year anyway, and I don't think they will prevent players like LeBron or dunkers like Vince from participating, if they want to participate and give some sign of willingness in a reasonable time before the contest...

Those rules on age/experience of dunkers don't seem to be successfull anyway, and probably they could be best understood as a form of excuse for inability to bring the best dunkers together these days..

DeAthrow
02-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Those rules on age/experience of dunkers don't seem to be successfull anyway, and probably they could be best understood as a form of excuse for inability to bring the best dunkers together these days..

:amen:

denyfizle
02-01-2006, 03:47 PM
How can winning a dunk contest tarnish LbJ's image. I think it's more of him being afraid to lose that scares him. I can understand if he was image conscious and he's avoiding bad reps and irresponsible action but not going to an All-Star dunk contest when you can jump over the rim??? I think that's vanity already. He won the McDonald's dunk contest in high school anyway. MJ and KB8 weren't/aren't regarded as just a dunkers. I think if the fans want to see you in the All-Star dunk contest, then it should be it LbJ's best interest to cater to his fans.